Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nathan Stanley versus Tyler Wilson

Started by Cresthog, December 14, 2007, 12:40:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mossfan33

D1 receivers?  He has a running back that is going D1.  Is that who you're talking about?.........  He does run a 4.6 not great but not bad either.  It's not like anyone is claiming he runs a 4.3 or anything.  I really don't think that's exaggerated.
Go HG Hornets. STL Cardinals.  Packers.  Tar Heels  Hogs

PorcineSublime

Quote from: The Dream Machine on December 15, 2007, 12:30:15 am
Stanley lives on an Indian reservation; I beleive he and Oklahoma's starting qb played at the same high school & lived on the same reservation. As far as systems go I'll bet Petrino isn't going to run the system he ran at Louisville, at least not at first. There's alot more speed & physical play in the S.E.C. than the Big Least, but we'll see. I just think Stanley has more upside in the long run.
I wasn't aware of any reservation in Tahlequah. If you are refering to the Cherokee Nation, then it covers then entire northeastern part of OK from Sallisaw to Kansas state line. If you are saying that they went to the same school or same church, I can see where they might have some contact/influence.
I would have to see Stanley, but he sounds like the real deal. TW I have seen twice and was impressed both times. He flung a 60 yd pass against Siloam last year up here that was on the money, but it could have been a lucky shot. I think either would be an upgrade.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

mj4president

hahahahahaha. Tyler Wilson being compared to Matt Jones. What a joke. Thank you for the fans on here that shot this down as soon as it was posted. I played baseball against Tyler Wilson a TON. He isn't close to being like Matt Jones with speed.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

Porkatarian

Quote from: LawnHog48 on December 14, 2007, 01:42:06 pm
Any truth to Wilson not having a strong arm? I have read that he couldn't throw it 55 yards at the QB challenge? I have seen him and he is very accurate, poised and a winner.

Lack of arm strength would be the only thing that would hold him back from what I have seen.

Tyler Wilson can throw a baseball 90 mph.   He has a cannon for an arm.  I've watched him play in person twice, and he can make all the throws.  There is no question that he more than has enough arm strength to play in the SEC.

His mechanics may need to be tweaked before he can contribute at the college level, but he does have all the physical tools and that "it" factor to be a successful QB in the SEC.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

GWhogs

let me refrase my comment or as you say comparison to Matt Jones, I was referring to Matt's High school days as a refrence not his college days. I watched Matt at Northside. Matt in college was a different player. things change when you get to the next level and IMHO Tyler would help bring that Winning attitude we all want. As for stanley I can not give a good comparison for I personally have not seen him play.
Granted I could watch film on him but you cant get a feel for thier true demenor until you see them live!

hawgwash

Quote from: yraciv on December 14, 2007, 09:18:48 pm
That is the 5A ARKANSAS high school playoffs.  This isn't the mecca of high school football.  Call me crazy, but didn't he go like 14/29 against Camden Fairview.  I've seen Tyler 2 or 3 times, and I'm not even questioning his accuracy.  Arm strength is how far you can throw the ball.  Judging by his skills competition and what I've seen, his deep ball isn't that far and wobbles.  He is a great short to medium route passer.  Here is my scouting report, but he is not near Matt Jones.  I'd guess Tyler runs a 4.7, MJ ran a 4.3
Mechanics-Good
Knowledge-Great
Speed-Good
Elusiveness-Average
Accuracy-Great
Arm Strength-Below Average
I saw him play once, against PA in the playoffs.  I think this is a pretty accurate assessment based on what I saw.  He started the night throwing a little high, but then settled down and was very accurate on short and intermediate passes, up to about 25-30 yards I'd say.  A lot of his passing yards came on yards after catch.  He seems to be poised, and evidently has some of the "it" factor with three state championships.  When he had to run he ran pretty tough and did a good job of getting 4-5 yards or so when he needed it to get a first down.  But in no way did he remind me of Matt Jones as a runner.  (The PA QB is also very good, and much more elusive as a runner but with a weaker arm on the deep passes, but he is a Jr so he may get stronger).  I think Wilson's experience with the spread offense would be helpful, and I think he's a winner.  If the offense is geared to short and intermediate passes, I think he could be very good.  But I also think Petrino may cast a wider net for his recruiting and we may hear of prospects from far away that we had never considered before.  May be too late for that this year, but in the future....

ThisTeetsTaken

Which one of the two can throw swing passes and drag routes better?  Who can be cool enough in the pocket to wait on a route to develop?  Seems to me that these things are the most important in Petrino's offense.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***