Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nathan Stanley versus Tyler Wilson

Started by Cresthog, December 14, 2007, 12:40:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cresthog

This seems to be the new great debate. Word is that Petrino is going to give a looong hard look at Wilson from Greenwood.

I watched all the film I could find on both prospects.

Offer Wilson. He has better mechanics. Stanley just looks big and chunks the ball up. His footwork is horrible and he doesn't really play in that "spread" type offense.

Wilson is very precise on the short throws. Seems to have some trouble with the long ball but his footwork is good and he can read a defense.

I personally just think Wilson will be a better fit. IMO
Thoughts anyone?

jgphillips3

DeltaBoy

Can't say for sure with out seeing Film .
I do like the results Wilson has got at Greenwood. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Bacon The Saddle Again

Quote from: Cresthog on December 14, 2007, 12:40:05 pm
This seems to be the new great debate. Word is that Petrino is going to give a looong hard look at Wilson from Greenwood.

Offer Wilson. He has better mechanics. Stanley just looks big and chunks the ball up. His footwork is horrible and he doesn't really play in that "spread" type offense.

Wilson is very precise on the short throws. Seems to have some trouble with the long ball but his footwork is good and he can read a defense.

I personally just think Wilson will be a better fit. IMO
Thoughts anyone?

You may be right, I don't know. I don't know a lot about quarterbacking but I do know this:  Footwork and mechanics can be taught.  Arm strength, work ethic, intelligence, and escapability can't.

So for me, offer the guy that has the best arm, works his rear off in all phases of the game, the intelligence to improve and learn the system, and can move well enough to avoid sacks.

dougieritch

Does Tyler Wilson have a big arm (throwing down field)?

That would be helpful in Bobby's Offense...I've never seen either kid.

Quote from: Bacon The Saddle Again on December 14, 2007, 12:44:28 pm
You may be right, I don't know. I don't know a lot about quarterbacking but I do know this:  Footwork and mechanics can be taught.  Arm strength, work ethic, intelligence, and escapability can't.

So for me, offer the guy that has the best arm, works his rear off in all phases of the game, the intelligence to improve and learn the system, and can move well enough to avoid sacks.

AMEN!

Cresthog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 14, 2007, 12:42:05 pm
Can't say for sure with out seeing Film .
I do like the results Wilson has got at Greenwood. 

I was the same way. Watched the film on both QBs and I just think Wilson is better, not that Stanley won't be a good one. I just think Wilson is better.

HogsGotcha1

Stanley sucks bad please dont get him!  Wilson is good I have watched both of their films.

Cresthog

Quote from: Bacon The Saddle Again on December 14, 2007, 12:44:28 pm

You are right. Footwork and mechanics can be taught. From what I saw Wilson can hit the short routes very well and read the defense pretty good. He seems to know where everyone is at on the field. Stanley plays in a simple offense it seems, but that doesn't mean he won't be terrific in a spread. They both have decent arms. I've heard some people say Wilson has a weaker arm then Casey Dick. I sure hope not. I didn't get that impression watching the rivals film.

Of course I haven't seen either two play in person. I could be totally wrong.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Cresthog on December 14, 2007, 12:44:00 pm
Do some research.

Is a smart-ass comment like that really easier than saying he is a QB at "X" high school, In "Y" State; go check out "Z" web-site if you want more details?  My time is a bit limited and just a tidbit of info would be nice.

jc20

Nathan Stanley is a superb QB at Talequah-Seq. in Oklahoma.  Small school. He is all Hog.  The kid has a gun for an arm.  He does chunk it up, kinda the same way Mustain was able to to Williams and Co.  and before I get attacked, I was a MM fan.  I have only seen Wilson play twice, Stanley about 8 times.  I would prefer Wilson in the short route offense like we had this year but if we are going to go downfield more, I prefer Stanley.  Of course, I am no recruiter.  I just hope whoever comes in can play.  Good luck to both QB's wherever they end up.

Hawgballz

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 14, 2007, 01:23:15 pm
Is a smart-ass comment like that really easier than saying he is a QB at "X" high school, In "Y" State; go check out "Z" web-site if you want more details?  My time is a bit limited and just a tidbit of info would be nice.

Here is a link on Stanley:

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=55109

You have to understand that when pimping Wilson, it does not help their cause to give out info on Stanley.  Stanley definitely has the stronger arm along with physical size, but he has not played in a short, quick pass oriented offense like Wilson has.  Wilson is the more polished, ready to go QB at this point, but I feel like Stanley has the better long term physical attributes and if coached properly (since Petrino is a QB guru/developer) he will be the better long term investment.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

aloha_kid

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 14, 2007, 01:23:15 pm

http://arkansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=55109

OKhogfan1959

Any truth to Wilson not having a strong arm? I have read that he couldn't throw it 55 yards at the QB challenge? I have seen him and he is very accurate, poised and a winner.

Lack of arm strength would be the only thing that would hold him back from what I have seen.

OKhogfan1959

I notice Stanley has an offer from OK State.

Who is saying that he's all about the Hogs? Is that true?

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: Cresthog on December 14, 2007, 12:40:05 pm

Stanley's better.  Tyler Wilson's arm strength is average at best.  He is nice in the spread offense and on short routes but he floats the long ball and it is very  noticeable.  Stefan Loucks, quaterback at PA last year was a much better qb and his arm strength was not overwhelming either. 

Hawgballz

Quote from: LawnHog48 on December 14, 2007, 01:43:56 pm

Stanley has said that if he was offered by the hogs, he would commit.  I believe he also has an offer from Kansas & Oklahoma is looking at him so that if their incoming freshman QB (from this last fall) transfers as he has said he is going to, then they are likely to offer Stanley.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

Bacon The Saddle Again

Quote from: LawnHog48 on December 14, 2007, 01:42:06 pm
Any truth to Wilson not having a strong arm? I have read that he couldn't throw it 55 yards at the QB challenge? I have seen him and he is very accurate, poised and a winner.

Lack of arm strength would be the only thing that would hold him back from what I have seen.

Just a few posts back I was saying to recruit the kid with the most arm strength, but I'm gonnna play a little devil's advocate here.  Arm strength isn't the be-all, end-all of college quarterback.  It's a must-have in the pros but quarterbacks such as Rex Grossman never had a lot of arm strength and did quite well because he was smart, understood the system and had a master gameplanner running the show.

jgphillips3

Thank you to those who gave me some info.  It does seem to be a bit of a dilemma with the differences, but I would normally go with the highly accurate guy.  Very few balls thrown over 30 yards actually result in completions anyway with the speed of d-backs in the SEC.  Petrino has seemed to do an excellent job of tailoring his offense to the talent on hand (what a concept) while recruiting the guys he wants.  I will trust his judgment since you never really know how they are going to do until they hit campus.

J.A.Y.

Its a tough choice but I think the lack of arm strength is a bit of a downside for Wilson. Seems odd that he can throw a baseball so hard.

Stanley's height and potential to add lb's is a big upside with his already stronger arm. The good thing about this situation is we have Petrino evaluating these guys and not HDN.

I think Petrino's choice will be good enough for all of us.
There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

mossfan33

Just play Youngblood.......... Huge arm and he's bigger and faster than both of these guys. 
Go HG Hornets. STL Cardinals.  Packers.  Tar Heels  Hogs

yraciv

Quote from: dougieritch on December 14, 2007, 12:44:28 pm
Does Tyler Wilson have a big arm (throwing down field)?

That would be helpful in Bobby's Offense...I've never seen either kid.

AMEN!

Wilson's weakness is arm strength imo, but he does run a spread.

OKhogfan1959

Anybody from Greenwood tell us if Tyler has the arm strength?

Cresthog

Quote from: Hawgballz on December 14, 2007, 01:40:58 pm
Here is a link on Stanley:

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=55109

You have to understand that when pimping Wilson, it does not help their cause to give out info on Stanley.  Stanley definitely has the stronger arm along with physical size, but he has not played in a short, quick pass oriented offense like Wilson has.  Wilson is the more polished, ready to go QB at this point, but I feel like Stanley has the better long term physical attributes and if coached properly (since Petrino is a QB guru/developer) he will be the better long term investment.

Come on now Hawgballz...I really thought you were better than that. Pimping Wilson? Where have I been pimping Wilson? I created this thread to debate the two QBs. I for one think Wilson is the better of the two...sorry if that means I am "Pimping" him. As for the smart ass comment. So sorry I don't want to take the time out of my day to get on here and inform people who the kid is. If you want to debate and post on the recruiting forum then do some research on the kid instead of asking everyone on here who he is. We all do the research in order to talk about the recruit...why can't someone else? I'm not going to answer questions for someone who doesn't bother doing research before they post.

Why is it that everyone must have an agenda? I have stated clearly I have yet to see either of them play in person. That I based my opinion solely on the film I watched. If that is "Pimping"...then I guess I can't have an opinion huh Hawgballz?

aloha_kid

Quote from: LawnHog48 on December 14, 2007, 01:43:56 pm

http://arkansas.rivals.com/quicklist.asp?School=6&Sport=1&DPosition=5&Position=4&Year=2008&qs=1

Visit the above link and click list.  See who he has as high interest.

The_Iceman

Quote from: mossfan33 on December 14, 2007, 02:37:23 pm
Just play Youngblood.......... Huge arm and he's bigger and faster than both of these guys. 

agreed

RazorBacker215

This Stanley kid came to my hometown for a preseason scrimage. Some of my buddies that went to the game said this kid is a stud and that his team threw it all over the field. They said our team didn't want any part of them. FWIW

ntubjr

football-writer

Bobby Petrino...putting fear into opposing SEC coaches one recruit at a time

The Boar War

Quote from: LawnHog48 on December 14, 2007, 04:11:27 pm
Anybody from Greenwood tell us if Tyler has the arm strength?

Not from Greenwood but I have a hard time believing that a guy projected to be a MLB pitcher has a weak arm.

Cresthog

Quote from: The Boar War on December 14, 2007, 06:00:23 pm
Not from Greenwood but I have a hard time believing that a guy projected to be a MLB pitcher has a weak arm.

agree

GWhogs

Tyler does have an arm!! for those of you who have only seen him in a couple of games or even film clips don't get the full picture.
Tyler has good mechanics and a incredable knowledge of the game. As for his running ability which is rarly seen reminds me of Matt jones (long strides and doesn't look like he is moving). The reason you dont see him running alot is he really hasn't had to.
I have watched this kid for three years now he is good. He has that swagger about him on and off the field. His confedence just radiates to other team members the kid is an all around athlete. For those of you who think Tyler may Go MLB, there has been many statements that he does want to play FOOTBALL at the next level!

Justme

Quote from: yraciv on December 14, 2007, 03:05:08 pm
Wilson's weakness is arm strength imo, but he does run a spread.
Arm looked and worked just fine in the playoffs.

yraciv

Quote from: Justme on December 14, 2007, 07:47:38 pm
Arm looked and worked just fine in the playoffs.

That is the 5A ARKANSAS high school playoffs.  This isn't the mecca of high school football.  Call me crazy, but didn't he go like 14/29 against Camden Fairview.  I've seen Tyler 2 or 3 times, and I'm not even questioning his accuracy.  Arm strength is how far you can throw the ball.  Judging by his skills competition and what I've seen, his deep ball isn't that far and wobbles.  He is a great short to medium route passer.  Here is my scouting report, but he is not near Matt Jones.  I'd guess Tyler runs a 4.7, MJ ran a 4.3
Mechanics-Good
Knowledge-Great
Speed-Good
Elusiveness-Average
Accuracy-Great
Arm Strength-Below Average

mossfan33

Wilson's arm strength is not good and his delivery is funky but effective on short routes.  I just don't think he has the arm to stretch an SEC secondary or the zip to throw an out route across the field, and if his running style reminds you of Matt Jones then I apparently watched the wrong team...........  Jim Youngblood will be just fine in the SEC, though.

AngryKhalil

I'm not knocking wilson, he's a good QB. BUT...........

As for his running ability which is rarly seen reminds me of Matt jones  ???(long strides and doesn't look like he is moving). -gwhog

Lets be real Tyler Wilson is nothing like MJ. Wilson wont be scrambling anywhere. I'd love to see him wearing razorback red but lets keep him in the pocket where he belongs.
Supporting: Texas Rangers, Seattle Seahawks, Memphis Grizzlies, and The Razorbacks.

SquirrelMasterFunk

Quote from: mossfan33 on December 14, 2007, 10:02:00 pm
Wilson's arm strength is not good and his delivery is funky but effective on short routes.  I just don't think he has the arm to stretch an SEC secondary or the zip to throw an out route across the field, and if his running style reminds you of Matt Jones then I apparently watched the wrong team...........  Jim Youngblood will be just fine in the SEC, though.

Quote from: yraciv on December 14, 2007, 09:18:48 pm
That is the 5A ARKANSAS high school playoffs.  This isn't the mecca of high school football.  Call me crazy, but didn't he go like 14/29 against Camden Fairview.  I've seen Tyler 2 or 3 times, and I'm not even questioning his accuracy.  Arm strength is how far you can throw the ball.  Judging by his skills competition and what I've seen, his deep ball isn't that far and wobbles.  He is a great short to medium route passer.  Here is my scouting report, but he is not near Matt Jones.  I'd guess Tyler runs a 4.7, MJ ran a 4.3
Mechanics-Good
Knowledge-Great
Speed-Good
Elusiveness-Average
Accuracy-Great
Arm Strength-Below Average

The kid is a major league baseball pitching prospect......he has a cannon for an arm.
user #9084 (the poster formerly known as cbad)

The meaning of life:  Eat less salt, be nice to people, and it is too short for cheap beer! - Stan Bond

Intelligent insults are too often wasted on the uncommonly stupid.

If you can't dazzle them with your intelligence, baffle them with your bull****.

The Dream Machine

Wilson is a system QB, and the Hogs have had terrible luck with system QB's in the past.

SquirrelMasterFunk

Quote from: The Dream Machine on December 15, 2007, 12:05:20 am
Wilson is a system QB, and the Hogs have had terrible luck with system QB's in the past.

Maybe it was the system......Wilson fits into Petrino's system....that is all that matters.

BTW.....how much Greenwood football have you watched? ???

The meaning of life:  Eat less salt, be nice to people, and it is too short for cheap beer! - Stan Bond

If you can't dazzle them with your intelligence, baffle them with your bull****.

2thless

I saw Wilson play every home game this year and would love to have him as a razorback.  He's a winner.  Looks to pass first and only runs when he has to.  He had a lot of dropped balls that hit the receivers in the hands in stride.  However he is thin and would need time to mature.  Good decision maker.  Realize that G'wood passed 75% of the time and played with 5 wide.  Wilson can read a defense in presnap and makes the proper decision very often.  I tend to believe like many others that the MLB draft will be hard for him and our other qb recruit to pass.  I'm nervous that both could sign and never get to campus.

The Dream Machine

Stanley lives on an Indian reservation; I beleive he and Oklahoma's starting qb played at the same high school & lived on the same reservation. As far as systems go I'll bet Petrino isn't going to run the system he ran at Louisville, at least not at first. There's alot more speed & physical play in the S.E.C. than the Big Least, but we'll see. I just think Stanley has more upside in the long run.

PlayCallinBrotha

Quote from: The Dream Machine on December 15, 2007, 12:05:20 am
Who isn't a system QB?? Brady, Manning, etc...all products of good systems. i do realize they are very talented. And under Nutt "system QBs" didn't work cause we had no system. BP will change that.

As far as arm strength I think he is better than most give him credit for. No he does not have a cannon, but I think he already has a stonger arm than Casey. Strength can be developed easier than reading defenses and making good decisions. Also the guys knows how to win and has a great work ethic. 

yraciv

Quote from: SquirrelMasterFunk on December 14, 2007, 11:56:12 pm
The kid is a major league baseball pitching prospect......he has a cannon for an arm.

In baseball, but if you think it translates to the football field you are wrong.  I have watched him on more then one occasion in both sports.  Pitching he has great arm strength, but on the football field it is a weakness.  I would have expected they go hand and hand, but not from what I've seen.

SquirrelMasterFunk

Quote from: The Dream Machine on December 15, 2007, 12:30:15 am
Stanley lives on an Indian reservation; I beleive he and Oklahoma's starting qb played at the same high school & lived on the same reservation. As far as systems go I'll bet Petrino isn't going to run the system he ran at Louisville, at least not at first. There's alot more speed & physical play in the S.E.C. than the Big Least, but we'll see. I just think Stanley has more upside in the long run.

Yeah....that spread O sure let Florida down last year.
WTH....you think we got ride of Nuttsack to bring in some that is gonna run the same old tired crap pawpaw told him too? ???

Petrino was hired for his offensive system....he will run it....we do not need an option QB.
We need one that played in a spread/passing offense.

mossfan33

Jim played in a spread offense............ it was 99 % shotgun with 4 and 5 wideouts every play

The Dream Machine

Quote from: SquirrelMasterFunk on December 15, 2007, 12:57:42 am
WTH....you think we got ride of Nuttsack to bring in some that is gonna run the same old tired crap pawpaw told him too? ???

Petrino was hired for his offensive system....he will run it....we do not need an option QB.
Maybe you should read what Coach Petrino told Curtis today during his visit.
Florida ran some spread, but they also ran alot of mid-line option.
Lashlee & Leach were high school system qb's that didn't pan out.
If you think Coach Petrino is going to instill the run& shoot I think you're going to be let down.
When you watch the bowl games be sure to watch Hawaii vs. Georgia. The little 5 yard pass that goes for 80 yards, and just throw it up our guy will catch it won't work in the S.E.C.
Coach Petrino will bring balance. As far as you talking about the Pats & Colts. How many college teams or high school teams have that caliber of receiver. In the N.F.L. you have schemes in high school you have systems. The mismatches in high school are far more schewed than college or the N.F.L.   

Wild Bill Hog

What's the size on Stanley and Wilson?  Isn't Stanley an NFL size QB?

The Dream Machine

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on December 15, 2007, 01:23:08 am
What's the size on Stanley and Wilson?  Isn't Stanley an NFL size QB?

He has the frame,but needs to add some weight.
Rivals has a good profile on him.
He's getting some attention, and he wants to be a Hog.

PorkSoda

Quote from: SquirrelMasterFunk on December 15, 2007, 12:57:42 am

The spread option works pretty good for florida.  A QB with the option to run, opens up any offense.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

T-Wacker

Quote from: mossfan33 on December 15, 2007, 01:11:22 am
Jim played in a spread offense............ it was 99 % shotgun with 4 and 5 wideouts every play

Yet Youngbood was throwing to D1 receivers and Wison to high school receivers. Wison's stats were still better. Youngblood threw how many balls in the ground when they played Greenwood? His speed is over exagerated. If he runs a 4.6, I run a 4.7!