Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diamond Hog Predictions

Started by PIGG, March 20, 2005, 11:19:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PIGG

In a lot of posts that I've read about the Diamond Hogs before the USC series, I saw much of the same thing.

Something like "We'll know where we stand after this weekend".  Well, my question is, where do you all think we stand now?  Where do you think we deserve to be ranked?  Did we soundly beat South Carolina, or was it a fluke?  What do you predict against Mississippi State?

Okay, it was a few questions, not just one.
Let's drink till we can't feel feelings anymore!
- Peter Griffin

WilsonHog

Definitely not a fluke.  I didn't think we would sweep the Gamecocks at their place.  Two of three is huge.

Only thing that worries me right now is that Charley Boyce has had some rough outings.  We need him to anchor our pitching staff.  Can't expect to get wins from two freshmen every weekend.

WindyCityHog

The interesting thing will be the polls....South Carolina was as high as #2 in some....Hogs were anywhere between #7 and #15 depending on the poll.  The Hogs should jump the Gamecocks with winning 2 out of 3 there....but we know better....I'm betting SC still reamins ahead of the Hogs....Until that happens, DVH and the Diamond Hogs are just getting disrespected.

PIGG

We get no respect.  I thought it was insulting that we were preseason ranked as low as we were.  We lost some good players, but I think our highest preseason rank was #24.  We were in the CWS!  That's insane.

Where were the traditional SEC baseball powerhouses (SC and LSU) ((We beat both of them during the regular season))?  Both ranked in the top 5, I believe, where they usually are.  Pitiful.
- Peter Griffin

Doug

I can't WAIT to see the new poll standings to come out tomorrow.  I expect the Hogs to go up to as high as 5th place, and USC down to 4th.  Who's the next major challenge for us to rip apart?
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

3kgthog

I mentioned this the other day, but it seems that South Carolina doesn't really start whacking the ball until midseason.  Thus, I feel that us taking the series from the Cocks will mean relatively nothing to the voters.  I see us moving up 1 spot, maybe 2. 

V B Porkers

I will take the 2 out of three from the chickens anyday. The polls will take care of its self.

Extra Point

We have to start getting respect sooner or later.  This makes, what, 5 times the Hogs have faced top 5 teams during the regular season under Van Horn and we have now won all of those series?  May not have the numbers exactly right, but close.  Darling USC is now 0-3 in series vs. Van Horn.

The baseball polls are strange indeed.  They recognize names and past success worse than any poll by far.

hogfan98

as far as i'm concerned, they can keep underrating us.  maybe that will keep teams from playing at world series level against us.  we're fielding the same team to matter what little number precedes our name.  they players still have to play the game, and if they take care of business, the rankings will eventually work themselves out.  if i remember correctly, we never broke into the top 8 in the polls last year, but when the time came to pick the seeds for the tourny, there we were.  lets not fret.  the season is still young, and there is always something to prove.  lets just hope our guys keep that mind and not worry about the respect they're (not) getting, because i'm willing to bet that the rest of the conference realizes how good we are. 

litmachog

East Vs. West

Something else to note.  It was a weekend of East Vs. West and the West had the upper edge 13 - 5.  They lost only one series, Tennessee against Auburn 2 - 1.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: PIGG on March 21, 2005, 12:07:11 am
Where were the traditional SEC baseball powerhouses (SC and LSU) ((We beat both of them during the regular season))?  Both ranked in the top 5, I believe, where they usually are.  Pitiful.

I'll give you guys all the respect you deserve in the fact that you won the SEC last year, swept us at home, and made the CWS. BUT, you don't have to start dissing programs that have established excellence year-in and year-out. The comment on LSU being ranked in the Top 5, where we usually are and using Pitiful in the same comment is quite asinine.

When you have reached the CWS 13 years out of the last 19, been a NCAA regional host for 15 straight years, are only 1 of 2 programs to reach the Super Regional every year since it's inception, Won 5 National Championships in 10 years, and have the highest All-time NCAA Tournament winning percentage (.727) you have EARNED the right to be ranked in the Top 5 almost every year.

Hogstradamus

The #1 team in the nation got swept by Baylor this weekend.  Texas hadn't been swept in a league series in 6 years.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."  -- Lou Holtz

"If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, then we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games." -- Paul Bear Bryant

CharlieHog

It's funny that people are so nervous about getting their hopes up.

Thanks football and basketball!

PigPusher

March 21, 2005, 10:56:40 am #13 Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 11:52:46 am by PigPusher
But, it is and will remain mostly about opinion. We just have to live with that as we have little control over changing the status quo.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

PIGG

Quote from: MikeThrel on March 21, 2005, 09:49:29 am
Quote from: Tammany Tom on March 21, 2005, 09:24:31 am
Where were the traditional SEC baseball powerhouses (SC and LSU) ((We beat both of them during the regular season))? Both ranked in the top 5, I believe, where they usually are. Pitiful.

I'll give you guys all the respect you deserve in the fact that you won the SEC last year, swept us at home, and made the CWS. BUT, you don't have to start dissing programs that have established excellence year-in and year-out. The comment on LSU being ranked in the Top 5, where we usually are and using Pitiful in the same comment is quite asinine.

When you have reached the CWS 13 years out of the last 19, been a NCAA regional host for 15 straight years, are only 1 of 2 programs to reach the Super Regional every year since it's inception, Won 5 National Championships in 10 years, and have the highest All-time NCAA Tournament winning percentage (.727) you have EARNED the right to be ranked in the Top 5 almost every year.

He wasn't saying that it was pitiful that LSU was in the top 5, he was saying that it was pitiful that the Hogs weren't higher.

Precisely.  You do have a good point though LSU.  Our success has been sudden where LSU's has been consistent.  Guess we'll settle this score in April.  Can't wait.

But enough about that.  How do you all think we'll fare against Mississippi State? 
- Peter Griffin

Swino

I am very excited about this Hog team.  It is amazing how VH has transformed his team into such a power so quickly.  I am very excited about Hog Baseball!  I say we win the SEC outright this season, but it will be close with the always good LSU team nipping at us the entire season.

WindyCityHog

Quote from: Tammany Tom on March 21, 2005, 09:24:31 am
Where were the traditional SEC baseball powerhouses (SC and LSU) ((We beat both of them during the regular season))? Both ranked in the top 5, I believe, where they usually are. Pitiful.

Tammany, I don't think anyone is dissing the LSU program on the whole.....but saying you have "EARNED" a top 5 ranking every year is the height of hilarity.  Last time I looked, the polls are generally an estimation of a team's prowess comparative to other teams in THAT PARTICULAR YEAR.  We're not comparing the history here.....LSU wins that one hands down....but to say you deserve a ranking based on who you are is simply BS.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: WindyCityHog on March 21, 2005, 11:34:37 am
Tammany, I don't think anyone is dissing the LSU program on the whole.....but saying you have "EARNED" a top 5 ranking every year is the height of hilarity. Last time I looked, the polls are generally an estimation of a team's prowess comparative to other teams in THAT PARTICULAR YEAR. We're not comparing the history here.....LSU wins that one hands down....but to say you deserve a ranking based on who you are is simply BS.

When you end every single year playing in the Super Regionals or making it to Omaha then YES you have EARNED a high ranking every single year. Yes, polls are an estimation of how a team will perform in that particular year, therefore when a team ends every single year ranked very high and acheives excellence every single year then the baseball writers are going to REWARD that team and rank them high in pre-season every single year. This is why LSU is ranked very high every single year. We have EARNED the respect of the baseball writers.

Regardless of who we lose each year there is someone else extremely talented to take his place and keep our tradition of winning in baseball in tact. 

WindyCityHog

Tammany.....I see your point......but a good ending to the season before shouldn't guarantee you anything for NEXT year.  LSU may be an exception because of the tremendous run that the program has had for a while.....but the year will come when the year will start off badly, and the polls should reflect that.  Baseball polls, more so than others, are heavily skewed towards the "perception" programs.....LSU for instance.....will lose 1 game in a week, and not lose anything in the polls, while others lose 1....and drop....Texas is another (they get swept this weekend) and they're still in front of the Hogs.

Frankly, I was shocked SC fell behind Arkansas....not because it wasn't warranted, but because SC is one of those "name" programs.

Hope to see you in F'ville the weekend of the 23rd....It's good talking college baseball.....and the SEC-West is a gauntlet....

Tammany Tom

Quote from: WindyCityHog on March 21, 2005, 04:11:09 pm
Tammany.....I see your point......but a good ending to the season before shouldn't guarantee you anything for NEXT year. LSU may be an exception because of the tremendous run that the program has had for a while.....but the year will come when the year will start off badly, and the polls should reflect that. Baseball polls, more so than others, are heavily skewed towards the "perception" programs.....LSU for instance.....will lose 1 game in a week, and not lose anything in the polls, while others lose 1....and drop....Texas is another (they get swept this weekend) and they're still in front of the Hogs.

Frankly, I was shocked SC fell behind Arkansas....not because it wasn't warranted, but because SC is one of those "name" programs.

Hope to see you in F'ville the weekend of the 23rd....It's good talking college baseball.....and the SEC-West is a gauntlet....

Your program is earning respect very quickly. I was very surprised, and came on this board and said so, that only 1 baseball poll had you ranked in pre-season. I felt, going into the season, that you guys should have been ranked much higher than 24. Starting off unranked in 2/3 polls and being ranked, currently, in the Top 10, is a major tribute to your program and coach. If you continue the type of success that you enjoyed last year and are currently enjoying then your program will one of those ranked high in the pre-season polls virtually every year.

WindyCityHog

Omaha or bust!  I'm hoping the Hogs can keep it rolling and show the rest of the country (as was done last year) on how to host a Super-Regional (no disrespect intended Tammany).....I should have went last year.....If it happens again, I won't.