Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Congrats & Thanks on your series win against SC

Started by Tammany Tom, March 20, 2005, 04:39:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tammany Tom

Congratulations on your series win over South Carolina in Columbia. Very impressive. We also appreciate the help in moving us up the polls this week. With #1 Texas getting swept by Baylor and #2 South Carolina getting beat 2 out of 3 to you, we should move up to # 3 in this week's baseball polls with our sweep of #17 Georgia at Athens.

I said before the season started that Arkansas would be competing with us for the SEC title this year even though only 1 in 3 polls had you ranked (#24). Looks like Van Horn has your team playing at the same level as it was playing at the end of last year. Good Luck until April 22nd.

BattleHawg

Quote from: Tammany Tom on March 20, 2005, 04:39:58 pm
Congratulations on your series win over South Carolina in Columbia. Very impressive. We also appreciate the help in moving us up the polls this week. With #1 Texas getting swept by Baylor and #2 South Carolina getting beat 2 out of 3 to you, we should move up to # 3 in this week's baseball polls with our sweep of #17 Georgia at Athens.

I said before the season started that Arkansas would be competing with us for the SEC title this year even though only 1 in 3 polls had you ranked (#24). Looks like Van Horn has your team playing at the same level as it was playing at the end of last year. Good Luck until April 22nd.

You're welcome & Thanks.

Tradition.   You guys could start the season 1-12 and still be ranked in the Top25 in the polls.

It should be you guys and us in the West, and i'll say SC and UGA? in the East for the Division titles. 

Just my .02

BH

Tammany Tom

I seriously doubt that you will jump us in the polls. Won't happen. Your overall record may be better, but our RPI rating is quite a bit higher and we are leading you in SEC play 3-0 to 2-1.

Your sweep last year was very impressive, especially since we have won 22 out of our last 23 series. It won't happen 2 years in a row. Our weekend pitching is quite a bit better than it was last year.

BattleHawg

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on March 20, 2005, 04:42:06 pm
Kind of doubt it, we should jump over you, of course we'll sweep you twice anyway so it really doesn't make any difference if it's now or later, it is going to happen.

Slow down there a bit Hoggy.  I hate lsbleaux as much as anyone(especially since I'm native La.), but they have a darn good club.  We can sweep them twice, but the odds are VERY slim that anyone will do that.  It's hard enough sweeping them once.

... I like your positive thinking though. ;D

BH

Tammany Tom

I like your confidence. You are a lot more confident in your baseball team than your football & basketball teams. I'm glad that we have a new power team to compete with in the west. In the 80's in was Mississippi State, In the 90's it was Alabama, and now in the 00's it is Arkansas. One thing that always remains the same in baseball, however, is that LSU is always in the thick of things in competing for the SEC Title.

BattleHawg

Quote from: Tammany Tom on March 20, 2005, 04:53:37 pm
One thing that always remains the same in baseball, however, is that LSU is always in the thick of things in competing for the SEC Title.

I've said this 7,358 times.

lsu has an easy road.

Louisiana as a state has more top talent in all sports combined than any other state in the union, per capita.

for lsu this = easy recruiting of top talent.

Louisiana has an abundance of 3 things:

tit & ass
gambling
good athletes

BH

Extra Point

Not a snowball's chance in hell we jump LSU in the poll.  After watching the polls the last few years, they do not work like the FB and BB polls.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: BattleHawg on March 20, 2005, 05:02:00 pm

lsu has an easy road.

Louisiana as a state has more top talent in all sports combined than any other state in the union, per capita.

tit & ass
gambling
good athletes

BH

We may have a lot of good athletes in our state, but so do Florida, Georgia, and several other states. You still have to take that talent and build a solid program with good coaching and solid suport from the administration and fan base. We also do a very good job of recruiting top baseball players all over the country. 3 of our best players are from out of state (Blake Gill, Ryan Patterson, and Nick Stavinoah). One of our top 3 pitchers is from out of state as well (Clay Dirks).

Extra Point

Tom, I think what is trying to be said is that not all teams can draw in-state like LSU.  Arkansas has 9 in-state kids, 22 out of state.  Also, Arkansas' players don't get the state schollies like you and UGA do, so you essentially have more players on scholarship than we do.

Regardless, I am glad the SEC is competitive.  I would not put it past these Hogs to sweep LSU in Fayetteville.  10,000 fans and a pretty gritty team await you.

msudawgs64

BattleHawg, I don't see UGA competing in the East unless those bats come alive.  I would trade out UGA for Tennessee this year.

BTW, good weekend for the SEC West.  LSU and Bama swept their East opponent.  State, Arkansas, Ole Miss all took 2 of 3 against their East opponent, only Auburn went 1-2, and that was against the aforementioned Tennessee.  Vols have pitching and their bats have started to come alive. 

Also don't take State or Ole Miss lightly in baseball this year or you may be looking up at us.  My only concern with us right now is friggin' pitching but it does look like our Saturday and Sunday rotation is ok.  Alabama looks like they have found a power source from somewhere, I did not see that at all in the preseason so they also may be in the thick of things.  Auburn has turned into an enigma, they have power but it looks like it comes in spells, not really a good thing in baseball.  The SEC West will be a dogfight like always.

Oh and you guys have to play us before you get LSU, we could make that LSU-Hogs series even more important to the Hogs.

EP, that exact same thing has been brought up by Coachs Polk, Van Horn and Bianco on the schollies.  Other teams fans call it sour grapes but in reality you and I both know, as well as these three coaches, that it is an unfair advantage.  We all seem to be doing ok though in spite of it.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

Tammany Tom

There is nothing fair about college athletics, nothing. That being said, I realize very much the built-in advantages that our program enjoys and appreciate them. Mississippi State, from little ole Starkville, is the program that got SEC baseball rolling. They have enjoyed a very successful past in baseball and are very competitive year in and year out. We may have the local talent and the extra scholarships, but the most important criteria in building a great program is coaching and that is the single reason why Arkansas is enjoying the success it is.

BTW, how bout those State Bulldogs against Duke. At least one SECW team is looking good in this tourney after our shameful appearance and Bama's poor showing.

Extra Point

There is no way to level the playing field entirely, but the extra schollies is a killer, especially with the APR looming (not that any of us will lose some to those rules).  And I agree, having coaches like Smoke and Van Horn is SO key.  I am as impressed with Van Horn as any coach I have ever seen in any sport (besides our T&F coach, McDonnell).  The SECW should produce at least one CWS participant every year with the coaching and talent in the West.

I am pretty pumped about our team, even moreso than last year.  Having 2 true frosh starting pitchers give up only two runs (one earned) gets my blood flowing!  I will be at Baum on Friday when State comes to town.

Hogger

One thing that always remains the same in baseball, however, is that LSU is always in the thick of things in competing for the SEC Title.

lsu has an easy road.

tit & ass
gambling
good athletes

BH

I can vouch for this.  I don't remember who did the study, but it was in my Human Geography textbook last semester.  Louisiana has produced more TOTAL AND PER CAPITA college and professional athletes than any other state in the United States beating out even California, Texas, and Florida.

msudawgs64

Quote from: kdHog on March 21, 2005, 12:03:00 am
please explain this extra schollie phenomenon for those of us out of the loop (me).

here kdhog, read this..

http://www.hsbaseballweb.com/11.7_scholarships.htm

Interesting to note here, Ron Polk was the head coach at Georgia when he first brought this up and reiterated it when he went back to State, both times he still saw inequities in this, even though at UGA he could benefit from it.  The thing most need to realize about Coach Polk is that he is looking out for the good of college baseball as a whole and has publicly stated more than once that the NCAA is BAD for college baseball, he calls it No Clue About Anything.

Another interesting article about that subject here.

http://www.hsbaseballweb.com/ncaa_enemy.htm
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

heinekenhary

lsu has an easy road.

tit & ass
gambling
good athletes

BH

I just spent three days in Monroe for a HS baseball tourney, let me tell you, Monroe is the exception to the rule when it comes to T & A.  One of the ugliest places I've ever been.
Show me a guy whos afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.
-Lou Brock

sooie dog

I just spent three days in Monroe for a HS baseball tourney, let me tell you, Monroe is the exception to the rule when it comes to T & A. One of the ugliest places I've ever been.

Are you blind? 

Tammany Tom

Quote from: HoopHog on March 20, 2005, 10:11:48 pm
Hey Tammany...

Are you coming up to the Hill for the Arkansas-LSU series and to tailgate with us at Tailgate Central?

I would love to and I mean that, but I have a convention that I have to work that weekend here in New Orleans. I have been to Fayetteville on several occasions and have seen all of your facilities and walked around Baum Stadium. It is, without a doubt, the finest college baseball stadium I have ever seen.

We are building a new baseball stadium that will be ready for the 2008 season and it is supposed to be one of the finest, if not the finest in college baseball. We have budgeted $30 million for the new stadium and I thought I heard that Baum cost somewhere around $15-$20 million. With inflation accounted for then we should have a stadium that at least rivals yours. Our fans deserve a great facility and I am glad that Skip finally got the OK to build a new one.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Tammany Tom on March 20, 2005, 04:46:43 pm
I seriously doubt that you will jump us in the polls. Won't happen. Your overall record may be better, but our RPI rating is quite a bit higher and we are leading you in SEC play 3-0 to 2-1.

Your sweep last year was very impressive, especially since we have won 22 out of our last 23 series. It won't happen 2 years in a row. Our weekend pitching is quite a bit better than it was last year.

RPI doesnt count in college baseball...NCAA doesnt even consider it in the Selection Process for NCAA teams...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

msudawgs64

Quote from: chiefsfan on March 22, 2005, 12:31:42 am

RPI doesnt count in college baseball...NCAA doesnt even consider it in the Selection Process for NCAA teams...

um, yes it does and yes they do..

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/

They do use this when deciding on the regional at-large participants. 

chiefsfan

Quote from: msudawgs64 on March 22, 2005, 01:22:27 am
Quote from: chiefsfan on March 22, 2005, 12:31:42 am

um, yes it does and yes they do..

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/

They do use this when deciding on the regional at-large participants.

Ive never once heard it used...ASU's SID  even said that RPI isnt used.  Ill have to look it up
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

WindyCityHog

I've heard that it is....informally.  I don't think there's an "Official Criteria Guide" for the baseball selection committee....the same for basketball.  Would I use it if I were on the committee?  Probably not.....It's a formula that most have no idea what the heck is about...

msudawgs64

go to that link..look at the top right.  The numbers Boyd puts up there are a simulation of what the NCAA uses, as he mentions unless they changed the formula on how they get RPI numbers, then this is it.   Also check this link as well.

http://www.tfn.net/~jcarr/Baseball/brack-new.html

This describes how the regionals and supers are setup and how teams are selected.

chiefsfan

The Boyd Site  that MSUdawgs gave mentions The RPI as a "Pseudo RPI"   In other words the RPI is calculated by an outside source  using a comparable formula to that of basketball.   There is no straight forward Baseball RPI formula

msudawgs64

March 22, 2005, 01:38:00 am #23 Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 01:44:43 am by msudawgs64
according to the second link, it does appear to come into play.   I think Boyd is calling it psudo RPI since he is using the last known baseball RPI formula and he is the one crunching the numbers, i.e. the NCAA uses their own but does not publish like in basketball.  I can tell you that RPI does come into play, how else did we make the regionals last year?  We had a 35-24 record but had a RPI ranking of 28th at the end of the season to go with a 31 SoS ranking.  Hell we did not even make the SEC tourney but based on our strong finish and the schedule we had we got in.