Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For all you SEC lovers

Started by Hoggysoprano, March 20, 2005, 03:17:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggysoprano

Your SEC champ Florida Gators are getting beat by the fourth place team from the Big East. 

The_Bionic_Pig

March 20, 2005, 03:25:03 pm #1 Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 03:27:19 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Quote from: Hoggysoprano on March 20, 2005, 03:17:58 pm
Your SEC champ Florida Gators are getting beat by the fourth place team from the Big East.

So Much Hatred....Are you ever happy about anything Hoggy??? Seriously.  You know Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ingnorance. -Confucius
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

WilsonHog

Unless Mississippi State beats Duke, the SEC will have one team in the Sweet Sixteen, and will have gone 4-4 this weekend.

The_Bionic_Pig

March 20, 2005, 03:50:42 pm #3 Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 03:54:28 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Quote from: Hoggysoprano on March 20, 2005, 03:37:39 pm
Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on March 20, 2005, 03:25:03 pm

So Much Hatred....Are you ever happy about anything Hoggy??? Seriously. You know Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. -Confucius

The discussion was how bad the SEC is, do you not have anything to add or do you just try and start crap? The point is all this SEC is better stuff is not true, we would all be happier with the Hogs out of the SEC and into a conference like the Big 12 where the games would be closer, the recruiting would be easier and thus our winning would be more probable. Wins make happy fans, 5-6 football teams and basketball teams that are afraid of getting beat don't make fans happy.

Your origanal Post would make a lot  more sense if the Big12 Champs & 2nd place team were not already put out of the Big Dance YESTERDAY!!!

As for me trying to start crap...Basketball recruiting is not as regional as Football recruiting.  Basketball coaches persue the best talent irregardless of location because its a indoor sport which doesn't effect the recruits environment as much as football recruits who say grow up in the Southern region and don't en spire to play in a cold weather climate.  Personally I don't see how anyone could get up for a Saturday Afternoon football Match up against Baylor Freaking University or Kansas Jayhawks Football.....we get about as much competition from Lousiana-Monroe & New Mexico St. don'tcha think.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

JD_85

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on March 20, 2005, 03:37:39 pm
Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on March 20, 2005, 03:25:03 pm

So Much Hatred....Are you ever happy about anything Hoggy??? Seriously. You know Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ingnorance. -Confucius

The discussion was how bad the SEC is, do you not have anything to add or do you just try and start crap? The point is all this SEC is better stuff is not true, we would all be happier with the Hogs out of the SEC and into a conference like the Big 12 where the games would be closer, the recruiting would be easier and thus our winning would be more probable. Wins make happy fans, 5-6 football teams and basketball teams that are afraid of getting beat don't make fans happy.

If you think the SEC is so bad, what in the hell makes you think we'd fare better in the big 12? Your post contradicts itself.

The_Bionic_Pig

Yeah that woulld be like going to Starkville to watch football or to Tennessee to watch basketball wouldn't it? Big 12 would be a better fit. Any given year there are just as many good teams and just as many bad teams in the Big as there are in the SEC in football or basketball.

From I am understand from your response that Arkansas travels as well for basketball as they do football???

The fact is you don't get excited about playing Baylor, it's probably just about as excited Florida or GEorgia gets about playing Arkansas, we are the SEC's Baylor.

As far as Arkansas being viewed by you as the Baylor of the SEC how did you come to that conclusion after six straight bowl appearances from 1999 - 2004 ???
Your arguements lack substance when introduced to facts, that's all I am saying.

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Pragmatic PiG

battle is on

the ultimate sunshine pumper vs the ultimate hater........ ;D

The_Bionic_Pig

March 20, 2005, 04:25:18 pm #7 Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 04:27:38 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie
We would be better off, of course there are those of you who would rather lose in the SEC, be a 5-6 team not even bowl eligible or 6-5 and go to one of those great hot spots like Nashville or Shreveport in December to freeze your butt off and watch you team get beat. It's no great accomplishment to get into a bowl game.

Ummm Hoggy Please Read - Big12 Bowl Tie-ins

Alamo
Champs Sports
Houston
Mainstay Independence
Pacific Life Holiday
PlainsCapital Fort Worth
SBC Cotton
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

JD_85

Do you see the part about the recruiting being easier? Maybe you need to learn to read better. We would be better off, of course there are those of you who would rather lose in the SEC, be a 5-6 team not even bowl eligible or 6-5 and go to one of those great hot spots like Nashville or Shreveport in December to freeze your butt off and watch you team get beat. It's no great accomplishment to get into a bowl game.

I can read just fine. Maybe you need to make sense with your posts.

muslimsdonteatme

Nutt would have had the same success in the Big 12 this year that he had in the SEC.  This is a completely nonsensical argument.

The_Bionic_Pig

March 20, 2005, 05:07:34 pm #10 Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 05:17:30 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie

Maybe you need to take off your Fatty McGee's so you can see.  You and ole sunshine have gotten your heads so far up HDN's and Stan's posteriors you can't see straight.  Truth is the SEC is not that great, it is usually a little better than most in football but that is it, basketball in the SEC is average for D-1 at best.

Besides your homsexual response trying to involve my anatomy...what part of your own response makes any sense or brings a valid point into this discussion...

Quote"Truth is the SEC is not that great, it is usually a little better than most in football but that is it, basketball in the SEC is average for D-1 at best."

Please explain how can you be "better than most" and "that's it" co-exist in the same statement ??? Oxymoron perhaps. SEC #1 in Football Revenue   Also the ACC is the dominant figure in D-1 Basketball not the Big12 as you would like everyone to believe
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Extra Point

Moving to the B12 = losing recruits from LA, AL, GA, FL, MS and opens up the likes of KS, CO, NE, etc.  How anyone can come away with that being better for recruiting is beyond me.

Having grown up in OK, I know for a fact we would be the Baylor of the B12 as well.  They would not respect us anymore than what the SEC does.  Also, throw in the fact that our revenue would go down since the B12 does not make as much money.

The SEC is tops in FB and baseball.  Throw T&F in there as well.  Since we joined the SEC, us, Florida, UK and MSU have all been to the FF in basketball.  Same number of teams have been from the B12.  However, the SEC has 3 NC's and B12 has ZERO.  Just because we are down this year in basketball does not mean much overall.  The SEC has some incredible young talent with more arriving next year.

Supermark101

March 20, 2005, 05:24:48 pm #12 Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 05:28:31 pm by Supermark101
QuoteMoving to the B12 = losing recruits from LA, AL, GA, FL, MS and opens up the likes of KS, CO, NE, etc.  How anyone can come away with that being better for recruiting is beyond me.   

The problem with being in the Big 12, as I posted in another tread, is that we would have taken Baylor's spot. We be playing OU, OSU, Texas, Texas Tech, and Texas A&M every year, that 4-5 losses every year. In the SEC we play Ole Miss, Miss St. USC, LSU, Alabama, and Alburn, there is 1 or 2 losses there in a normal year. I complete agree with u, extra point, here recruiting would also go down. I would rather take my chances in the SEC.

Extra Point

Not sure about 4-5 losses in the B12 South.  We have already proven we can play and beat the best teams Texass has put on the field in some time.  OSU is not the juggernaut they looked to be after going 7-5 and getting blown out in their bowl.  aTm and Tech are streaky.  However, I would GLADLY take the B12 North teams over UF, UGA and TN.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on March 20, 2005, 04:35:01 pm
Quote from: Jagermeister on March 20, 2005, 04:30:33 pm
Do you see the part about the recruiting being easier? Maybe you need to learn to read better. We would be better off, of course there are those of you who would rather lose in the SEC, be a 5-6 team not even bowl eligible or 6-5 and go to one of those great hot spots like Nashville or Shreveport in December to freeze your butt off and watch you team get beat. It's no great accomplishment to get into a bowl game.

I can read just fine. Maybe you need to make sense with your posts.

Maybe you need to take off your Fatty McGee's so you can see.  You and ole sunshine have gotten your heads so far up HDN's and Stan's posteriors you can't see straight.  Truth is the SEC is not that great, it is usually a little better than most in football but that is it, basketball in the SEC is average for D-1 at best.

Easy there, darn for brains.  I wasn't all that excited about Nutt in the first place, and have been ready for him to go for 2 years.  And Heath only gets one more year to make the Tourney as far as I'm concerned.

I'm with you on going to the Big 12, though.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

justmakeit2thebcs

The SEC is better...Basketball, The SEC has won three nationa; titles since the Big 12 last won one.  Over the last 10 years, we can go bac farther but it only get worse for your Big 12, The SEC has had 4 final game apperances, the Big 12 .......one. 

Surely your not talking about football, basketballl and track.  Florida lost to a #5 seed..who did KU lose too?

mikeirwin

The SEC has regressed to what it was before Arkansas entered the league. It's a football conference with one good basketball school, Kentucky.
SEC schools are so obsessed with beating each other because of all the rivalries that conference play elevates some of the football schools who have basketball teams; Florida, Alabama, and LSU in particular. But Kentucky is the only SEC school that can do damage in the NCAA Tournament on any kind of a consistent basis.
I think when Nolan came in and beat Kentucky twice right off the bat the other schools said, "Hey you can't do that." So they started trying to improve their basketball teams. With the demise of Arkansas it looks like to me they've given up and said, "Let Kentucky have it."
Look at the facilities. Kentucky, Arkansas, South Carolina and Tennessee are the only schools with a big time arena and Tennessee doesn't need one for their men.
If Florida, Alabama and LSU were really serious about basketball they'd improve their facilities, except of course for the fact that they don't draw even when they are winning so what's the point ?
Yes, Hoggy, the league is second rate in basketball and the football is not so hot these days either. I'm blaming it on Mike Slive. Bring back Roy Kramer.

Biggus Piggus

Recruiting in the SEC has been below what it was in the better days.  Alabama may be getting closer to what they used to be, but they can't keep players in school long enough to make any headway.  Mississippi State has been pretty good but had a really bad recruiting class last year as it turns out.  Kentucky did well last year after several years that were not up to snuff.  Florida has turned more and more in state to its detriment.  Odom at South Carolina isn't even trying to recruit on the level Fogler did.  Ole Miss is trying to get by on reaches.  Brady at LSU runs half his team off and has to recruit more to fill in.  Tennessee is starting over.  Georgia too.  Auburn might be headed back up.  Look at the recruiting lists of the past few years, and you won't see many of the top players going to SEC schools.  I look at the caliber of coaches in the ACC, Big 12 and Big East, and the SEC has fallen behind.  That's the main problem I see.
[CENSORED]!

NuttsSacked

Basketball standards in the SEC are on the rise.  Fans of that "football school" in Tuscaloosa are in an absolute uproar over their opening round tourney loss.  Believe it or not, Bama fans are already calling for the head of the man that took them to their first Final Eight last March.

That's life in the SEC...only perfection or some resemblance there-of will suffice. 

Considering the Big 12 argument, I suppose the Hogs would be better off there...weaker conference=more wins. 

Let's tuck tail and run away from the SEC.   

PIGG

Ouch, I would have thought that Vandy or Miss State were the Baylor's of the SEC.  Miss State and Vandy didn't go to six straight bowls prior to this year.  How good the bowls were is beside the point, we went to 'em, and Baylor didn't.  We were still a legitimate threat last year in football.  Yes, we had our weaknesses and untimely turnovers, but we gave Georgia a run for their money, we stomped Ole Miss and Bama, and then we squeaked out against Miss. St.  I refuse to believe other schools looked at us as a guaranteed win at any point.
Let's drink till we can't feel feelings anymore!
- Peter Griffin

msudawgs64

Pigg, Vandy is the Baylor of SEC football, we at least have gone to the Cotton Bowl, Peach Bowl a few times and a few other bowls in the past 10 years, Vandy has not gone to a bowl since the 80's.  We are no powerhouse in football in the least bit but hey we did beat Baylor the last time we played them, 1995.  LOL.  Also we had a nice run there from 1990 to 2000 going to 6 bowl games, but as quickly we had success, Sherrill just as quickly turned us back into a pumpkin.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

Extra Point

So, since the SEC FB and BB is not as good the last few years, we should jump conferences?  Who does that?  And jump to the B12, the league who could have conceivably had the North division winner NOT bowl eligible?  WOW, how impressive would that have been?  At least the SECCG was competitive.  And the team that ran away with the title in the B12 the last 2 years, the Gooners, proved they did NOT belong in the title game vs. LSU nor USC.  And as far as the B12 having 2 teams in BCS bowls, well, Mack made that possible through a telemarketing campaign to voters and escaping with a "W" in Fayetteville to a team with a losing record who gave them 4 TO's.  In other words, the "Baylor" of the SEC gave away the game to the 2nd best team in the B12.

Even a "down" SEC is better than the B12 scenario of last year.  And why was the SEC down?  Given the Bama probation and the Florida coaching situation, there's two reasons which are well on their way to being corrected.  Then add the fact Spurrier will have USC vying for the East title with UF, UGA and UT.  I feel sorry for UK and Vandy...they are the ones who should consider leaving the SEC since their FB futures only contain bowl appearances with nothing short of a miracle.

I've lived in B12 country nearly my whole life.  I can assure you Tech and OSU will NEVER have FB programs even approaching UF, UGA, UT, USC (w/ Spurrier), Bama, Auburn or LSU.  With Herring and better recruiting, I would be willing to put us back in that mix in a couple years.  Croom will have MSU more competitive as well.  Meanwhile, programs like CO are in turmoil with a less than bright short-term future.

OK, I'll stop.  Recruiting, money, exposure, tradition, bowl tie-ins and a number of other factors make staying in the SEC the right move IMO.  Besides, Broyles will never move to the B12...he is Southern bred and the B12 is anything but the "south".  Also, remember the B12 RARELY plays to a nation wide broadcast, so there would be lots of Hog fans who might see one or two games all year.  I don't think that would sit well.

Macgyver_Hawg

We get Vandy this season when they have a whole bunch of seniors too.

Typical.