Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do Heath and Nutt have radio shows?

Started by hawkeyefan17, March 19, 2005, 12:17:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkeyefan17

I have seen their tv shows but was wondering if they have radio shows. If not, why?

riccoar

hawkeyefan17

March 19, 2005, 01:16:03 am #2 Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 01:19:49 am by hawkeyefan17
Kirk Ferentz, Steve Alford and Lisa Bluder (Iowa's women's basketball coach) all have radio shows. I listen to the Ferentz and Alford shows quite often. I find they keep me very well connected to Hawkeyenation. I call them every once and a while. AM radio is wonderful.

I think state wide radio shows would be very good for Heath and Nutt. They would serve to keep Hog fans outside of Northwest Arkansas well informed about their team and the coaches could offer insight into the next opponent. Fans could ask questions directly to the coach and he would be able to clear up any confusions fans may have.

All of the shows air during the particular coaches season and a few weeks after the seasons conclusion. I was thinking how cool it would be for Nutt to have a mid week show, ask questions about the last game and ask questions about this saturdays upcoming oponent.

There is a very good pizza joint on the southside of Des Moines called Scornovacco's. I will reply back with more places later. Corn is also a very good option.

mikeirwin

Quote from: hawkeyefan17 on March 19, 2005, 12:17:44 am
I have seen their tv shows but was wondering if they have radio shows. If not, why?
Based on most of the calls we've been getting in the last year I would think it's pretty obvious why they wouldn't want to do a live call in show.
Why not just go to the county fair and sit over a dunking booth ?
But the real reason is much more simple. Radio doesn't pay much. Certainly not to a couple of guys who clear 2 mil per year between them.
They can make a lot more doing their TV shows which feature no interaction with the fans.

WindyCityHog

I agree...I think a radio show involving Nutt and/or Heath would last all of one show.....There's a lot of animosity out there....It would get nasty, to say the least.

Patch

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 19, 2005, 09:59:02 am
Quote from: hawkeyefan17 on March 19, 2005, 12:17:44 am
Based on most of the calls we've been getting in the last year I would think it's pretty obvious why they wouldn't want to do a live call in show.
Why not just go to the county fair and sit over a dunking booth ?
But the real reason is much more simple. Radio doesn't pay much. Certainly not to a couple of guys who clear 2 mil per year between them.
They can make a lot more doing their TV shows which feature no interaction with the fans.

Saban made more than Nutt and he did a radio show. I don't think money is nearly as big an influence on his decision as getting roasted on public radio. Hell, if I screw up doing my job, I have to hear about it from my boss and more importantly my customers. I think Nutt should carry the same responsibility. Let Frank tell him what he thinks, and let us (Nutt's customer's) tell him what we think. It's called taking responsibility for your performance. Nutt shouldn't be exempt from it.

NashvilleHog

I believe we are the ONLY team in the SEC that does not do a radio show for the FB and BB coaches.  I'm not sure about Florida, if they do, then we are it. 
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

hawkeyefan17

Thanks for the responses.

I always thought it was weird I could never find their radio shows anywhere. I thought the coaches doing radio was almost a requirement. Hayden Fry's show was awesome, he always had some weirdly funny story to tell about growing up in west Texas. He always seemed to know what all of his former players were up to and it was good to hear about old players.

Kirk Ferentz made almost 2 million last year by himself and he does a radio show. I don't buy the money thing.

He did shows back when the Hawkeyes werer 1-10 and 3-9. He answered all the questions and was always very respectful. He got some tough callers in his first couple years but handled them well.

I think radio shows would get a lot of listeners especially ouside of Northwest Arkansas.

mikeirwin

Quote from: hawkeyefan17 on March 19, 2005, 01:07:25 pm
I don't buy the money thing.
Obviously I disagree since I made the statement. Pay them enough and I think they'd do a show. The other way it would happen is for JFB to make it a requirement. He's not going to do that. Why would he ? He could do a show himself but he doesn't.
If Stan Heath had a show right now he'd get barbecued.
Imagine Nutt's show right after his 24 hours in the "cone of silence."

Lanny

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 19, 2005, 01:40:53 pm
Quote from: hawkeyefan17 on March 19, 2005, 01:07:25 pm
I don't buy the money thing.
Obviously I disagree since I made the statement. Pay them enough and I think they'd do a show. The other way it would happen is for JFB to make it a requirement. He's not going to do that. Why would he ? He could do a show himself but he doesn't.
If Stan Heath had a show right now he'd get barbecued.
Imagine Nutt's show right after his 24 hours in the "cone of silence."

Chief, Would you believe, right now there are 400 boyscouts building a ham radio for the Stan Heath radio show?
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Biggus Piggus

Tubby Smith has a call-in show.  Wonder why he has the time of day for it.  Rick Pitino has a call-in show too.
[CENSORED]!

Sanctified Swine

I live in the Austin area (stop laughing) and both Rick Barnes and Mack Brown have call in shows during the season. It's actually held before a live audince at a Johnny Carino's. I think that takes guts to stand up and answer the fans. Mack Brown doesn't duck his show even after the OU games and he knows he is gonna take some heat. Personally, I would just as soon throw my breadstick at him, but at least he does it!

Whats up with Nutt and Heath not doing one of those, that seems kinda cowardly-- I was unaware of that since I live down here

WilsonHog

It's simple why they don't do it - who wants to spend 30 minutes or an hour a week getting hammered on?

JFB could require it, but he won't.  I seriously doubt that he would see it as a positive step for Razorback athletics, because it wouldn't be.

Biggus Piggus

You ought to hear Quin Snyder on his call-in show.  He looks and sounds like a dweeb, but he stands up and takes it from the fans.
[CENSORED]!

Jim Harris

Quote from: Spamalot on March 20, 2005, 10:58:12 pm
You ought to hear Quin Snyder on his call-in show. He looks and sounds like a dweeb, but he stands up and takes it from the fans.

Basing this on listening to the call-in sports shows we have, on the whole this state is too stupid for our coaches to even bother with dealing with call-in shows.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Lanny

Quote from: drakehog on March 20, 2005, 11:58:04 pm
Quote from: Spamalot on March 20, 2005, 10:58:12 pm
You ought to hear Quin Snyder on his call-in show. He looks and sounds like a dweeb, but he stands up and takes it from the fans.

Basing this on listening to the call-in sports shows we have, on the whole this state is too stupid for our coaches to even bother with dealing with call-in shows.

No doubt, you get a GentleBen or John from Cabot calling in and their two questions would take thirty minutes.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

idochog

Since All HDN gets is softballs from the print and TV media, No way in hadies could HDN hold up to a radio call in show.

How many calllers would it take to get the "Boy, you are something else" line from HDN?
I love Jesus!

Kevin

No guts from our head coaches.  that is why we turn down NIT bids.  we wonder why we are mediocre.  the florida call in shows are even on the sunshine network. 
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22