Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quotes on Stan Heath from Players at USF

Started by nughaud, November 01, 2007, 12:00:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nughaud

Unless Heath has changed his style of play, these players are way out in left field.

Senior center Kentrell Gransberry
On Coach Heath's coaching style -
"It's a different style of play. More up tempo, in your face, knock you in the mouth type of defense.
I think we can surprise a lot of people this year."

Sophomore guard Chris Howard
On playing for Coach Heath -
"He is a coach with a lot of success and a well known reputation for winning so I was excited about playing for him. Coach Heath brings a lot of energy and is up tempo with his offense. He is also very tough on the defensive end. He wants you to pressure the ball as much as possible, which is a different look for us. We may do a little bit of pressing this year. He's a great coach."

TRUHOG718

Quote from: nughaud on November 01, 2007, 12:00:39 pm
Unless Heath has changed his style of play, these players are way out in left field.

"It's a different style of play. More up tempo, in your face, knock you in the mouth type of defense.

"He is a coach with a lot of success and a well known reputation for winning so I was excited about playing for him. Coach Heath brings a lot of energy and is up tempo with his offense. He is also very tough on the defensive end. He wants you to pressure the ball as much as possible, which is a different look for us. We may do a little bit of pressing this year. He's a great coach."

What was SUPERMANS alter ego's name (Bizarro or something) ... THAts who's coaching USF  ::)
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

razorhead94

I think we woke him up and that he needs to have more energy if he wants to coach anywhere.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

TRUHOG718

They had better slow down or the wont have any "FRESH-LEGS" left for the season opener. Sorry Hawg G I couldnt resist...  ;D

booogaga

he said all of the same crap with his "motion offense" and "in your face defense" this is nothing different. the fans will soon discover that the defense will be there but everything else will not. and the players will be out of shape and will not be able to press cause they will be breathing too hard.
GO HOGS!

Modsquad24

one thing they will learn quick is he will build you up in non conference beating nobodys, but once league starts its win one, lose two and try to struggle around .500 to see if by mere hope they let you in and USF won't get the breaks a tradition rich Arkansas got lastyear going to the NCAA at 7-9 in league play. He is one hell of a salesmen though like Nutt and I have no doubt he has them believing he will walk on water and have them ready for an elite eight run like at Kent St, GHG!

8 days until the Arkansas Razorback Basketball Season Opener!

Tripod1

He didn't excell here and has moved on.  I still respect the man and wish him nothing but the best. 

Modsquad24

oh hes a great man no doubt, but that player saying he's a great coach is not exactly valid to me, they can think what they want as long as he's THEIR coach and not ours. GHG!

Cajun Hog

They will have FRESHLEGS with Stan (I'm not the man) Heath.

Bama Hog™

Stan Heath might possibly be the most boring person in the history of earf.
Quote from: SILK PURSE on October 03, 2008, 09:34:24 am
MM and DW are to be lauded as Arkansas sports heroes for their overall contribution, not just on the playing field during one season, but also for the sacrifices that they made which ensured the dismantling of the Frank Broyles machine. 

Hogtropolis™

I know that he didn't win big here, but he did exactly what he needed to do while he was here.  He got us out of the hole that Nolan left us in.  I don't think he was the right guy to get us back to national dominance, but I think he did what he needed to.  Now Pel gets to come in and hopefully get us back to national dominance.

I always liked Heath, and wish him the best at USF.

cardinalhawg

Quote from: Modsquad24 on November 01, 2007, 12:39:30 pm
one thing they will learn quick is he will build you up in non conference beating nobodys, but once league starts its win one, lose two and try to struggle around .500 to see if by mere hope they let you in and USF won't get the breaks a tradition rich Arkansas got lastyear going to the NCAA at 7-9 in league play. He is one hell of a salesmen though like Nutt and I have no doubt he has them believing he will walk on water and have them ready for an elite eight run like at Kent St, GHG!

I will say that our non-conferences schedules were not that bad except for that one season, where the only good team that we played was Illinois.  I believe this was Heath's third season, where our best non-conference win was against Winthrop.  We played a bunch of lowly non-conference teams that year.  The last couple of non-conference schedules have not been bad and the first season he was here the schedule wasn't that bad.

Bomis Hawg

I hope USF turns it around and does well in the Big East under Stan.
I wish him well.

VenturaHog

Good luck stan, I was for you, at least one more year. Stoked for Pel though, it all worked out great.

jchill

November 01, 2007, 07:27:36 pm #14 Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 07:16:22 pm by jchill
I wish people would give Stan a break. He was not that bad. He should have been given a chance to coach this senior class. Well here's to a great tenure at USF and many NCAA tourneys.

alaback

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on November 01, 2007, 03:13:02 pm
I know that he didn't win big here, but he did exactly what he needed to do while he was here.  He got us out of the hole that Nolan left us in.  I don't think he was the right guy to get us back to national dominance, but I think he did what he needed to.  Now Pel gets to come in and hopefully get us back to national dominance.

What is this "hole" you speak of that Nolan left?

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: alaback on November 01, 2007, 10:21:57 pm

Nolan left the cupboard completely bare.  There wasn't much to work with when he left.  We needed someone to build the team back up, and I feel that Stan did a good job of that.  Now we have brought in Pel to take us back to the next level.

booogaga

agreed
GO HOGS!

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

good luck coach.  May have been time for you to go, but at least if you weren't gonna be the guy we didn't have to suffer through it for ten years like we have with old hootie dale.
Let's make some waves.

alaback

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on November 02, 2007, 09:03:50 am

Nolan left the cupboard completely bare.  There wasn't much to work with when he left.  We needed someone to build the team back up, and I feel that Stan did a good job of that.  Now we have brought in Pel to take us back to the next level.

Agreed that the cupboard was pretty bare, but was it all Nolan's doing?  5 1/2 years later, knowledgable people are still trying to put it all at Nolan's feet.  Keep in mind that it was the administration that showed Nolan the door basically telling him he was washed up and couldn't coach anymore even though he was taking the team to the tourney amid sanctions from the NCAA, the effects of which were finally begining to subside.  When that happened, Iguodala didn't come the next year. Wen Mukubu and Sullivan left, Demario Eddins, and the Taylor twins ended up at UAB instead of coming to Arkansas.  I think we all know what that UAB team did in their subsequent years in the NCAA tourney while the Hog teams that Stan was "building" watched from home.

Nolan said nothing differently than what he had been saying in his previous 17 years, he just happened to say it when the team wasn't doing so well giving the administration an open door to dismiss him.  Also keep in mind that bare cupboard included what is often referred to as the "Basketball Palace of the Midwest".  Why do you think we get such good talent now and how a guy like Heath could win a recruiting battle with Michigan over PBev?  It's because Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson built this program and we know we're going to get back soon enough because of our infrastructure or bare cupboard as you call it.  They are also the reason we are among the elite in final four appearances along with a coveted national championship and it's a darn shame that they are better represented at the U of A.

I also see that Heath is still spouting his same ol' song and dance.  In your face defense and motion offense.  He was here 5 friggin' years and I still have no clue as to what the motion offense is intended to do.  If it was standing around for 28 to 30 seconds of the shot clock and then jacking up a wild 3, then he was very successful at implementing the motion offense at Arkansas.

bigyellowdog

I wish Stan the best.  I am just glad he is not here anymore.

Dr Swineglove

On Coach Heath’s coaching style -
“It’s a different style of play. More up tempo, in your face, knock you in the mouth type of defense.
I think we can surprise a lot of people this year.”

“He is a coach with a lot of success and a well known reputation for winning so I was excited about playing for him. Coach Heath brings a lot of energy and is up tempo with his offense. He is also very tough on the defensive end. He wants you to pressure the ball as much as possible, which is a different look for us. We may do a little bit of pressing this year. He’s a great coach.”

USF was softer than charmin last year - they're biased by experience.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

spudhog

i love stan heath. think he's a better man than coach. his first year up here though, our guys hustled. if he can get back to that, he'll be fine as usf. very good talent down there.

David Brent

November 02, 2007, 09:59:42 pm #23 Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 10:03:52 pm by David Brent

Quote from: alaback on November 02, 2007, 12:13:07 pm

Agreed that the cupboard was pretty bare, but was it all Nolan's doing?  5 1/2 years later, knowledgable people are still trying to put it all at Nolan's feet.  Keep in mind that it was the administration that showed Nolan the door basically telling him he was washed up and couldn't coach anymore even though he was taking the team to the tourney amid sanctions from the NCAA, the effects of which were finally begining to subside.  When that happened, Iguodala didn't come the next year. Wen Mukubu and Sullivan left, Demario Eddins, and the Taylor twins ended up at UAB instead of coming to Arkansas.  I think we all know what that UAB team did in their subsequent years in the NCAA tourney while the Hog teams that Stan was "building" watched from home.

Nolan said nothing differently than what he had been saying in his previous 17 years, he just happened to say it when the team wasn't doing so well giving the administration an open door to dismiss him.  Also keep in mind that bare cupboard included what is often referred to as the "Basketball Palace of the Midwest".  Why do you think we get such good talent now and how a guy like Heath could win a recruiting battle with Michigan over PBev?  It's because Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson built this program and we know we're going to get back soon enough because of our infrastructure or bare cupboard as you call it.  They are also the reason we are among the elite in final four appearances along with a coveted national championship and it's a darn shame that they are better represented at the U of A.

I also see that Heath is still spouting his same ol' song and dance.  In your face defense and motion offense.  He was here 5 friggin' years and I still have no clue as to what the motion offense is intended to do.  If it was standing around for 28 to 30 seconds of the shot clock and then jacking up a wild 3, then he was very successful at implementing the motion offense at Arkansas.

There was a huge hole when Nolan left, but I agree, it had as much to do with the coaching change as anything else.  Had we kept Nolan, JJ Sullinger would have stayed and Andre Iguodala would have made it to campus.  Those guys would have easily been our best players.

But as we all know that didn't happen and Stan Heath was brought in and asked to take us back to national prominence with Dionisio Gomez and Larry Satchell type players.  Remeber when Matt Jones came straight from football and was probably the best player we had?

Stan wasn't able to get us to the level we had all hoped for, but there is absolutely no comparison between the talent he inherited and the talent he left behind.  On top of that, he was nothing but a class act the entire time he coached at Arkansas.  I'm excited about Pel, but I wish Stan nothing but the best and really hope he has great success at USF.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: David Brent on November 02, 2007, 09:59:42 pm

There was a huge hole when Nolan left, but I agree, it had as much to do with the coaching change as anything else.  Had we kept Nolan, JJ Sullinger would have stayed and Andre Iguodala would have made it to campus.  Those guys would have easily been our best players.

But as we all know that didn't happen and Stan Heath was brought in and asked to take us back to national prominence with Dionisio Gomez and Larry Satchell type players.  Remeber when Matt Jones came straight from football and was probably the best player we had?

Stan wasn't able to get us to the level we had all hoped for, but there is absolutely no comparison between the talent he inherited and the talent he left behind.  On top of that, he was nothing but a class act the entire time he coached at Arkansas.  I'm excited about Pel, but I wish Stan nothing but the best and really hope he has great success at USF.

Nicely put DB

chiefsfan

Oh he's right on Heath's team full court pressing a little big this year...if by a little bit you mean once every few games for no more then a minute or so...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

jgphillips3

Quote from: chiefsfan on November 02, 2007, 10:14:56 pm
Oh he's right on Heath's team full court pressing a little big this year...if by a little bit you mean once every few games for no more then a minute or so...

I still think one of my favorite qoutes of all time was when Modica was on the Buzz morning show with Tommy Smith.  Tommy was razzing him about saying that he was in the stands at the Bucknell game in the NCAA tourney yelling "press! Press!" at him the whole game.  Without missing a beat and with a chuckle, he said "you were yelling at the wrong guy."  It was classic.  In one moment in a very classy way he basically said the whole team knew what they needed to do to beat Bucknell but the coach wouldn't let them or couldn't figure it out. 

hogcoots

I didn't like the Hogs style of play under Stan.  However, I think he was a good man.  He was just not a good fit with our program.  I hope that he is successful at South Alabama in whatever style of play he employs there.

claytongray

Quote from: Bama Hog on November 01, 2007, 02:49:35 pm
Stan Heath might possibly be the most boring person in the history of earf.

Except for the fact that no one has ever been able to stay awake for an entire Lloyd Carr press conference.

Carrmaduke

+1 I feel the same way. You can't argue that the program is light years ahead of where it was when Stan took over.

dmac4sainthood

Not that bad...hell Stan wasn't bad at all...he was pretty good.

I think we took some tough breaks, and its unfortunate. 

The Realist

Our own players said that here, minus his energy part. 
We know it never happened though
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

bgsisco

HawgG

Quote from: TRUHOG718 on November 01, 2007, 12:19:43 pm

They had better slow down or the wont have any "FRESH-LEGS" left for the season opener. Sorry Hawg G I couldnt resist...  ;D

$%#! %$#@ :-X

HawgG

Quote from: razorhead94 on November 01, 2007, 12:15:48 pm
I think we woke him up and that he needs to have more energy if he wants to coach anywhere.

Really ??? ???

HawgG

Quote from: booogaga on November 01, 2007, 12:27:04 pm
he said all of the same crap with his "motion offense" and "in your face defense" this is nothing different. the fans will soon discover that the defense will be there but everything else will not. and the players will be out of shape and will not be able to press cause they will be breathing too hard.

If you are interested at what is going on at USF then you at least do some research to get the facts right.

It really isn't that hard, I work at two different places and still manage to get facts about how Stan is doing in Tampa.

If I find the time I don't mind sharing a little of what I know.

HawgG may be a lot of things but he is always helpful and friendly when approached the right way.

There are posters on this board that know that to be fact.

HawgG

Quote from: Modsquad24 on November 01, 2007, 12:39:30 pm

Yeah if memory serves me you did stay on the bandwagon longer then most, so I understand the hurt feelings.

However it is time to let it go and move on, truly move on.

BTW be careful with schedule and people comparisons, think about it as things are right now and I will leave it at that.

HawgG

Quote from: jchill on November 01, 2007, 07:27:36 pm
I wish people would give Stan a break. He was not that bad. He should have been given a chance to coach this senior class. Well here's to a great tenure at USF and many NCAA tourneys.

I can't believe I just read this post.

This cannot be real, it has to be staged to trick people like me.

Are there really people that think like that on Razorbacks message boards?

chiefsfan

Quote from: HawgG on November 03, 2007, 09:10:01 pm

you dont venture to MMQB much do ya?
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

hawgsav1

Very good post.  I agree completely.  I gave Heath a 3 year pass to get us back to the NCAA tourney, which he did not do.  Heath was a fabulous recruiter, no bones about it, but he couldn't get his classes to perform.  When he had Olu Famutimi, Brewer, Steven Hill, Modica, and Ferguson, that was frankly a final four lineup.  Brewer and Famutimi were 5 star recruits by rivals, and HIll was a 4 star (obviously stars don't mean much, but just to show you potential).  Ferguson and Modica were great no-name guys who came out out of nowhere and contributed.  On top of that, we had Townes (4 star) and a host of other good players on that team.  There is no reason that we shouldn't have at least made it to the second round.  And frankly, last year...we didn't deserve to be in the tourney...Heath had 5 years, and screwed it up.  Everyone trying to blame Nolan for what happened is like the idiots at ND trying to blame Ty Willingham for Weis's failures...
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

HawgG

Quote from: chiefsfan on November 04, 2007, 01:02:00 am

you dont venture to MMQB much do ya?

Well that is true I don't go over there much because the criticism gets very repetitive.

I can only take reading the samething over and over again to a certain point.

Dr Swineglove

Heath's teams, IMO, always performed/played as less than the sum of their parts.  Great individual talent; no cohesiveness or consistency.  Heath is a classic top qualify assistant coach who just can't
cut it as a head coach, in my opinion.  I really do hope I'm wrong about Heath, but I'm a whole lot more excited about hogball with Coach Pel running the show.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

BradyHolzhauer

Coach Heath was a class act.  Coach Pelphrey is a class act, too.  It just shows that Heath's style doesn't fit the SEC...while Pelphrey's will dominate the conference...the coaching philosophy he brings will make this team a winner, this year.  Next year will be tough, but this year, watch out for the Hogs come March.

jchill

November 12, 2007, 06:04:28 pm #43 Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 06:16:54 pm by jchill

I have a right to my opinion and I am glad that you can actually read. Stan did a lot for a program that was in turmoil. He had flaws, but he did his best. Anyway, this is a forum to share opinions and if you do not agree with me, that is fine, but do not attack me. I have seen worse posts on this board.

TRUHOG718

Quote from: jchill on November 12, 2007, 06:04:28 pm

I have a right to my opinion and I am glad that you can actually read. Stan did a lot for a program that was in turmoil. He had flaws, but he did his best. Anyway, this is a forum to share opinions and if you do not agree with me, that is fine, but do not attack me. I have seen worse posts on this board.

Chill Jchill you were not being ATTACKED. Its exactly the opposite, he was agreeing with you.  Hawg G was being sarcastic. He really liked Heath and was just shocked to see someone agree with his POV because we rag on him so much about supporting Heath to the bitter end.. Its the rest of us you have to worry about not Hawg G, He's on your side.  ;)   Read his post again and youll see              TRUHOG OUT!

jchill

Quote from: TRUHOG718 on November 12, 2007, 07:07:11 pm

Chill Jchill you were not being ATTACKED. Its exactly the opposite, he was agreeing with you.  Hawg G was being sarcastic. He really liked Heath and was just shocked to see someone agree with his POV because we rag on him so much about supporting Heath to the bitter end.. Its the rest of us you have to worry about not Hawg G, He's on your side.  ;)   Read his post again and youll see              TRUHOG OUT!

Hawg G, I apologize for the outburst.

Mick Hogger

Man, I'm just glad to be excited about Hawgball again. More often than not, it got our minds off the shambles our football program was in in the 90s. It'll be good to actually pay attention to the schedule and rankings again.

GO HOGS GO!
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

HogMavFan

Anyone defending Heath must not have sat through every boring minute of every boring home game the entire time he was here. He was a "nice guy" but his team was the most poorly conditioned, undisciplined team I have ever seen. Outside of the Florida game two years ago, I think the UofA owes me and all the other ticket holders a refund for the last several years. 

Thank God for Pelphrey.

HawgG

Quote from: HogMavFan on November 13, 2007, 12:19:01 am
Anyone defending Heath must not have sat through every boring minute of every boring home game the entire time he was here. He was a "nice guy" but his team was the most poorly conditioned, undisciplined team I have ever seen. Outside of the Florida game two years ago, I think the UofA owes me and all the other ticket holders a refund for the last several years. 

Thank God for Pelphrey.

HawgG

Quote from: jchill on November 12, 2007, 10:03:26 pm
Quote from: TRUHOG718 on November 12, 2007, 07:07:11 pm

Hawg G, I apologize for the outburst.