Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We talked about Troy and Bama...what about Kentucky?

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, May 07, 2007, 11:11:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

May 07, 2007, 11:11:12 am Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 11:21:21 am by MuskogeeHogFan
From both sides of the opinion line, we have heard everything from we will destroy Troy and we are going to walk over Bama, to better watch out for Troy and beware of Bama. The Alabama game will be a tough game and an emotional game, for both teams. It is early in the season and a victory there is key to the success of the rest of the season, for BOTH teams. Who knows if we will be ready or if Saban will have been able to make sufficient improvements to have a dominating team. Having said that, we then have to face Kentucky in Fayetteville.

Kentucky comes into this season off a bowl victory(Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl) over Clemson 28-20 and closing the season with an 8-5 record. This was the first time a Kentucky team had been to a bowl in a good many years and they won. They drew more fans to their Spring game than we did. Enthusiasm is high for the Wildcats as are expectations.

They return their QB Andre Woodson who was 264 of 419(63%) for 3,515 yards for 23 TD's and 18 INT's. They return their two biggest receivers, Lyons(50 catches-872 yards-9 TD's) and Burton(77 catches-1,036 yards-12 TD's), their starting tailback, Little(1,065 yards in total offense) and two other TB's that combined for over 550 yards rushing. Their offensive line has been shored up over the off season by JC Transfers who moved in and took over starting roles averaging 300 lbs each.

While Arkansas ranked #29 in total offense last season(378 yards per game), Kentucky was right behind them at #31 nationally(375 yards per game). Total defense was a bit different as Arkansas ranked #26( 299.64 yards per game) to Kentucky's #118(453.38 per game with only an average of 184.5 yards rushing per game being counted in that total). Their pass defense(or the lack thereof) hurt them greatly. On the other hand, in terms of Passing Efficiency, Kentucky ranked #11 nationally to Arkansas being #62. Kentucky also came out on top in terms of Turnover Margin posting a +1.15 per game(#2 in the country) to Arkansas being at -.29 per game(#78 in the country).

This could be a close game. Kentucky is full of confidence, as are the Razorbacks. Playing at home has to be good for 7 points for the Hogs. Question is, after two games, will the Secondary be ready to face a strong passing attack? Can the Wildcats find the defense to stop the onslaught of D-Mac and F-Jo? Is it going to be a case of whomever has the ball last, wins?

Huggers and Darksiders alike.....Razorback fans........what are YOUR takes?
Go Hogs Go!

HOGWILD_F4I

jpenrod1

i agree it could be close, because our pass defense is well, lacking. we will run all over them, Have no trouble scoring, but we need our defense to play some zone. they are pretty one dimensional from what i have seen. I think we will win but Reggie will have to get his players ready. if we lose it wont be the Offenses fault.

351hog

Their defense is horrible....they have no chance in beating us. 

HOGWILD_F4I

arkjay19

It's the SEC, and most games in the SEC are tough.  But this team has experience, leadership, and talent that Kentucky does not:  McFadden, Jones, Hillis, Robinson, Luigs, Felton, Harrison, Fairchild, Grant, Richardson, Monk, RoJo, Cleveland, Mitchell, Dacus, and Hewitt along with others who will step up to the challenge.

Michaelt

Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

wayneslane

HoopS

May 07, 2007, 11:30:02 am #9 Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 11:32:20 am by HoopSlap
Quote from: 351hog on May 07, 2007, 11:16:03 am

This is the general response I have seen time and again.   My problem with that simplistic answer is, and our defense is going to be great?   And against a pass happy team no less?   Remember the second half of the South Carolina game?  Thankfully, Reggie finally goes to a zone coverage and we squeaked out the W.   Woodson is much better than Mitchell.   Thankfully South Carolina stuck with Syvelle Newton too long.   Gone is Chris Houston.  Gone is JA.  Who knows about Grant and will Hewitt thrive as a safety?  I'm telling you all, watch out.  This will be a legit test and probably will be a shoot out.   They allowed 20 to Clemson in the bowl game... the same Clemson that had a great duo in the backfield.

My prediction is a Win... but close, close, close... and I would not be comfortable betting on this one.   In these kind of games, the Special Teams tend to be important.  Does that make anyone on our side comfortable?  Tack on the emotional factor of being on the road at Bama the week before, who knows?  We are in no position to NOT respect any of our opponents.  That's the easiest way to becoming the upset special of the week.  It is good to be confident, but you must respect the other team and you have to bring it every week.  I will put good money on the fact that Kentucky has us marked as a team they think they can knock off.  We better bring it.

silvertip

Great breakdown, MuskogeeHog, thanks.

Kentucky's D is very vulnerable to the pass. But who believes Nutt & Lee can exploit that? Nutt as usual, will try to win exclusively with the run.

With top-ranked SEC passer Woodson returning, I fear Reggie's D might yield a carreer-day for Woodson. Just as Reggie's D yielded to several SEC QBs in '05.

As someone above said, Reggie needs to play some zone coverage. If the Hog secondary gets scorched, then KY could jump out to a lead. And we all know how hard it is for the Hog's running game to come from behind.

Kentucky should be tougher than the last 2 Vandy teams. This is no gimme.
Here's a complete look at KY's stats last year:

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2006/Internet/ranking_summary/2006000000334.HTML

bphi11ips

Arkansas 35-31 to go 2-1, 1-1 in the SEC.  They fail to cover the 6 and 1/2 point spread.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogfan064

Didn't UK allow 40 to ULM last year and nearly lose that game?  UK won against a CLemson team in turmoil and beat a UGA team that had just lost to Vandy.  UK got both Ole Miss and MSU out of the west last year to play.   Every 3-4 years things line up well for UK and they have a season like last year's.   Woodson and Little are both very talented, but the Oline is awful and the defense is poor.  Arkansas "should" win this game.  Sure UK could win, but Arkansas could win at Baton Rouge also. 

Marshfieldhog

If we lose to Bama we will lose to UK because Nutt always loses the 2nd SEC game after his 1st SEC loss...he's done that the last 8 years.

HawgWyld

Quote from: silvertip on May 07, 2007, 11:32:50 am

Kentucky's D is very vulnerable to the pass. But who believes Nutt & Lee can exploit that? Nutt as usual, will try to win exclusively with the run.

With top-ranked SEC passer Woodson returning, I fear Reggie's D might yield a carreer-day for Woodson. Just as Reggie's D yielded to several SEC QBs in '05.

As someone above said, Reggie needs to play some zone coverage. If the Hog secondary gets scorched, then KY could jump out to a lead. And we all know how hard it is for the Hog's running game to come from behind.

Good points throughout. If the Hogs have to come from behind, expect a loss. The flaw with a run oriented defense is that coming from behind is a hell of a problem -- if you're forced into a situation where you've got to pass and get some points on the board in a hurry, you just can't do it (unless Casey Dick manages to develop into a more consistent quarterback, some thought is giving to a passing offense and etc.)

Having said that, I do figure the Hogs will beat Kentucky if Herring's defense is effective against the pass. Mark this one down as a win, but an "iffy" one...

biggiepiggie

If Kentucky is an iffy win, then what will we do with Auburn, Tenn,
LSU and Bama?

longtimeHogfan

We should beat Kentucky, but we'd better come with our 'A' game.  I only see us winning 4 conference games and any one of those could go the other way if we're not careful, including this one. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

hogfan064

Our chances of losing to UK are about the same as LSU's losing to Arkansas.   We could win or lose both. 

hogfan064

Some games to consider when talking about Kentucky last year

Lost by 31 to Louisville
Beat MSU 34-31
Beat ULM  42-40
Beat Central Michigan 45-36
Lost 49-0 to LSU
Was down 24-0 to USC until a late 4th quarter rally led to a 24-17 loss

Best 2 wins came over Clemson and Georgia.  Both teams were playing very bad football when they played UK. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: silvertip on May 07, 2007, 11:32:50 am

Thanks SilverTip. Just as a follow up for all the folks who believe that we can just employ the run and win.....consider this. Let's say we have a banner day and D-Mac gets 200 yards and F-Jo gets 150 yards. 350+ yards of total rushing, right? Probably somwhere just over 400 yards of total offense...agreed? At the most, that equates to about 28 points. Okay?

Let's say that Woodson gets more than his average of 275 per game because we just don't have much in terms of a Secondary. Let's say he gets 325 passing. And let's say that they have some success running the ball, their average let's say of 96 yards per game, because I can assure you we will be dropped back and playing the pass and the opportunity will be there, even with marginal blocking, to rack up some running yards. That puts them just over 400 yards as well. They are replacing their FG kicker and we are replacing ours. At home or not, this is going to be a tighter game than anyone wants to imagine.

Two backs over 100 yards in a game would normally assure you of having a win, UNLESS, you are playing a prolific passing team like Kentucky.

Don't come into this giving Kentucky too little credit. I can assure you, they are coming here to beat the Hogs, not just to get the game over.

Just my take.
Go Hogs Go!

HawgWyld

Quote from: biggiepiggie on May 07, 2007, 11:48:58 am
LSU and Bama?
Heh, a depleted 'Bama and darned Vanderbilt were "iffy" wins for the Hogs last year. That being the case, I wouldn't say any SEC games are sure wins for the Hogs this season. Besides, when is the last time the Hogs did what they were expected to do in a season? Reading that team from one year to the next is about like trying to predict if it will snow in Fayetteville in December 2010.

Silver Hog

Quote from: biggiepiggie on May 07, 2007, 11:48:58 am
LSU and Bama?

More losses and Nutt gets fired (too late, but finally)

hogfan064

Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on May 07, 2007, 12:28:47 pm
Quote from: hogfan064 on May 07, 2007, 11:38:25 am
Didn't UK allow 40 to ULM last year and nearly lose that game?  UK won against a CLemson team in turmoil and beat a UGA team that had just lost to Vandy.  UK got both Ole Miss and MSU out of the west last year to play.   Every 3-4 years things line up well for UK and they have a season like last year's.   Woodson and Little are both very talented, but the Oline is awful and the defense is poor.  Arkansas "should" win this game.  Sure UK could win, but Arkansas could win at Baton Rouge also. 

You gotta be kidding me.   Kentucky's chances are much better winning in Fayetteville than our shot in Baton Rouge.  Let's not get silly with the comparisons. 

How do you figure?  Arkansas finished ahead of LSU in the West last year.  UK was 2 games below Arkansas in the SEC last year.  I don't see how that is a silly comparison.   Sure the Hogs lost to LSU last year, but UK lost to LSU by 49!!  Most pre-preseason polls I have seen have Arkansas in the top 15 and UK unranked.  Most have LSU in the top 10.   So your telling me that my comment that a top 15 Arkansas team winning at a top 10 LSU team is less realistic than an unranked UK team winning in Fayetteville? 

MuskogeeHogFan

Didn't UK allow 40 to ULM last year and nearly lose that game?  UK won against a CLemson team in turmoil and beat a UGA team that had just lost to Vandy.  UK got both Ole Miss and MSU out of the west last year to play.   Every 3-4 years things line up well for UK and they have a season like last year's.   Woodson and Little are both very talented, but the Oline is awful and the defense is poor.  Arkansas "should" win this game.  Sure UK could win, but Arkansas could win at Baton Rouge also. 

You gotta be kidding me.   Kentucky's chances are much better winning in Fayetteville than our shot in Baton Rouge.  Let's not get silly with the comparisons. 

I'm glad somebody saw the same thing I did. Thought I was hallucinating. :)
Go Hogs Go!

hogfan064

Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on May 07, 2007, 12:35:19 pm
Quote from: hogfan064 on May 07, 2007, 12:00:13 pm

Lost by 31 to Louisville
Beat MSU 34-31
Beat ULM  42-40
Lost 49-0 to LSU

Best 2 wins came over Clemson and Georgia.  Both teams were playing very bad football when they played UK. 

They will only get better from last year and I'm not saying they were great.  But generally teams with an experienced QB who is talented do well in this league, especially given the fact he has some returning talent at the skill positions.  

We on the other hand are going to have a tough time in the secondary predominantly due to the lack of a pash rush from Anderson.  I believe he had 14 sacks last year?  That's really hard to replace.  Throw in the lost of Houston and no depth on the D-line again. 

The question is...can we play Nuttball and win?  Maybe so.  We will and lose with the running game just like the last several years.

I guess it will take Kentucky beating us in RRS AGAIN for you to believe they are decent.  If Nutt loses this one, I say go ahead and fill out his termination papers.  Three losses to Kentucky is unacceptable. 

Never did I say they weren't decent last year, but Arkansas was much better than decent last year.  Show me a poll where UK is ranked above Arkansas.  Yes, UK could beat Arkansas next year, but UK could also go into Athens and beat the Bulldogs.  Vandy could go into Gville and beat Florida(they should've done it 2 years ago).  UK over Arkansas will be a popular upset pick by many, but Arkansas will still be the favorite.  South Carolina over Georgia will be a popular upset pick by many also(it always is), but UGA wins 75% of the time in that series and probably will do the same this year.   I think UK has a better shot of beating Arkansas than Troy, but if you held a gun to my head I'm taking Arkansas over UK. 

Silver Hog

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on May 07, 2007, 11:42:42 am
If we lose to Bama we will lose to UK because Nutt always loses the 2nd SEC game after his 1st SEC loss...he's done that the last 8 years.

So true, round 10 he'll do it again.

hogfan064

Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on May 07, 2007, 12:38:25 pm
Quote from: hogfan064 on May 07, 2007, 12:31:58 pm

How do you figure?  Arkansas finished ahead of LSU in the West last year.  UK was 2 games below Arkansas in the SEC last year.  I don't see how that is a silly comparison.   Sure the Hogs lost to LSU last year, but UK lost to LSU by 49!!  Most pre-preseason polls I have seen have Arkansas in the top 15 and UK unranked.  Most have LSU in the top 10.   So your telling me that my comment that a top 15 Arkansas team winning at a top 10 LSU team is less realistic than an unranked UK team winning in Fayetteville? 

Yes.  Playing in Death Valley is a lot different than playing in Fayetteville. 

I'm not sure how much relevance it has on this game but tell me the number of times we have won in Baton Rouge under Nutt.  Once you find that, tell me how many times Nutt has lost to Kentucky at home. 

Shoot, just look at our home record.  Until last year, we weren't exactly setting the world on fire at home.  It's rare that someone goes into Baton Rouge and wins.  They have improved while we have gotten worse (graduation and draft defection). 

Yes, BR is the better homefield advantage, but when was the last time UK beat a top 25 team on the road?   

Seconds

I think we can be special and bounce around enough to win this one.
Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 20, 2009, 03:37:25 pm
I believe that Obama could set an orphanage on fire and spray down the children with gasoline as they ran to escape it and you and Veritas would praise him for the beauty and quality of the fire.

Satellite39

If we are 2-0 entering the game I believe we win, if we are 1-1 it could be dicey.  If we are 0-2 I'll cry.   

Anybody care to guess what TV [if any] time slot this game will receive??  If I looked at the schedule correctly the other SEC games that day are: 

Bama & GA   
FLA & Ole Miss 
LSU & S. Carolina

I'm going to be in Houston for a concert the night before and plan on driving to Fayetteville Saturday evening for the game, but I'm afraid it sets up for a perfect Lincoln Financial 11a start  :o

hogfan064

Quote from: Satellite39 on May 07, 2007, 12:52:58 pm
If we are 2-0 entering the game I believe we win, if we are 1-1 it could be dicey.  If we are 0-2 I'll cry.  

Anybody care to guess what TV [if any] time slot this game will receive??  If I looked at the schedule correctly the other SEC games that day are: 

Bama & GA  
FLA & Ole Miss 
LSU & S. Carolina

I'm going to be in Houston for a concert the night before and plan on driving to Fayetteville Saturday evening for the game, but I'm afraid it sets up for a perfect Lincoln Financial 11a start  :o

If I had to guess

12:30 Florida-Ole Miss
3:30 Bama-UGA
7:00 USC-LSU
7:45 UK-Arkansas

If ESPN doesn't have 2 games that night then UK-Arkansas is left off.   Bama-UGA is definitely the 3:30 CBS game and you know ESPN wants a night game at Death Valley with Spurrier involved.  LF will take Florida because its rare they get a chance too.  UK-Arkansas is the least attractive of the 4

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: donewithdale on May 07, 2007, 12:35:21 pm
What I'm seeing as being ignored here is the fact we will have to play Bama on the road the week before.  That is always a physical game and will probably be even moreso this year with our inability to throw.  We have to travel back and then get ready for a very good qb and offense.  Not at all saying we will lose to UK but Nutt has struggled with them.

Nope, not ignored by me...it was in the original thread, but you are right, so many are discounting that in responding to this. Could be a huge emotional let down after having had to face Bama, at Bama, the previous week. And the Wildcats, are not going to be a push over this year. We may have a weak secondary and they will throw at us til our eyes bug out.
Go Hogs Go!

mword

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

I think it comes back to Bama.  If we lose to Bama, HDN continues his streak of losing the next SEC game, Kentucky.  If we beat Bama, I think we'll be ok.

LRCentralTiger

Kentucky is a team headed in the right direction.  How far they have moved, I do not know.  When you at the bottom with Vandy any movement up is something good.

cbjagman

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on May 07, 2007, 11:42:42 am
Now how can you predict that when so many have us breezing through the SEC, winning the SECCG and of course, playing in the BCS NC game and winning it for all the marbles? After that of HC flush with accolades announces he is retiring to spend his new found millions founding a text messaging service along with buying out Google and becoming the new Warren Buffett/Bill Gates of the business world.

hogfan064

Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on May 07, 2007, 01:23:48 pm
Quote from: hogfan064 on May 07, 2007, 12:39:53 pm

Lost by 31 to Louisville
Beat MSU 34-31
Beat ULM  42-40
Lost 49-0 to LSU

They will only get better from last year and I'm not saying they were great.  But generally teams with an experienced QB who is talented do well in this league, especially given the fact he has some returning talent at the skill positions.  

We on the other hand are going to have a tough time in the secondary predominantly due to the lack of a pash rush from Anderson.  I believe he had 14 sacks last year?  That's really hard to replace.  Throw in the lost of Houston and no depth on the D-line again. 

The question is...can we play Nuttball and win?  Maybe so.  We will and lose with the running game just like the last several years.

I guess it will take Kentucky beating us in RRS AGAIN for you to believe they are decent.  If Nutt loses this one, I say go ahead and fill out his termination papers.  Three losses to Kentucky is unacceptable. 

Never did I say they weren't decent last year, but Arkansas was much better than decent last year.  Show me a poll where UK is ranked above Arkansas.  Yes, UK could beat Arkansas next year, but UK could also go into Athens and beat the Bulldogs.  Vandy could go into Gville and beat Florida(they should've done it 2 years ago).  UK over Arkansas will be a popular upset pick by many, but Arkansas will still be the favorite.  South Carolina over Georgia will be a popular upset pick by many also(it always is), but UGA wins 75% of the time in that series and probably will do the same this year.   I think UK has a better shot of beating Arkansas than Troy, but if you held a gun to my head I'm taking Arkansas over UK. 

Why do I need to show you a poll?  Our poll is largely based off of last year and Darren McFadden.  Period.   

I don't care about UGA, Florida, or South Carolina.  They are totally irrelevant to the conversation as it relates to the chances of Kentucky winning in RRS versus the Hogs winning in Baton Rouge.  If you are so confident, run a poll on Hogville. 

Why don't you run the poll?  There are more negative than positive posters on here.  I could run a poll that asked "Do you think Arkansas will lose to ULM" and 60% would say yes.   I researched it and Kentucky hasn't beaten a ranked team on the road in over 10 years(I only went 10 years back).  What does that mean?  Nothing, but neither does Nutt's record in Baton Rouge.  Different teams, different years.   If most national experts believe Arkansas is a top 20 team and Kentucky isn't then I think most national guys believe Arkansas is a better team.   When the SEC media days come in July I promise you more writers will have Arkansas higher in the SEC than Kentucky.   National and regional media all agree Arkansas is the better team and should win the game in September, but the better team doesn't always win.  National and regional media would also agree LSU is the better team than Arkansas, but the better team doesn't always win. 

ttownhog

May 07, 2007, 01:41:57 pm #37 Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 01:44:05 pm by ttownhog
Quote from: hogfan064 on May 07, 2007, 01:33:24 pm

Lost by 31 to Louisville
Beat MSU 34-31
Beat ULM  42-40
Lost 49-0 to LSU

Never did I say they weren't decent last year, but Arkansas was much better than decent last year.  Show me a poll where UK is ranked above Arkansas.  Yes, UK could beat Arkansas next year, but UK could also go into Athens and beat the Bulldogs.  Vandy could go into Gville and beat Florida(they should've done it 2 years ago).  UK over Arkansas will be a popular upset pick by many, but Arkansas will still be the favorite.  South Carolina over Georgia will be a popular upset pick by many also(it always is), but UGA wins 75% of the time in that series and probably will do the same this year.   I think UK has a better shot of beating Arkansas than Troy, but if you held a gun to my head I'm taking Arkansas over UK. 

Why do I need to show you a poll?  Our poll is largely based off of last year and Darren McFadden.  Period.   

I don't care about UGA, Florida, or South Carolina.  They are totally irrelevant to the conversation as it relates to the chances of Kentucky winning in RRS versus the Hogs winning in Baton Rouge.  If you are so confident, run a poll on Hogville. 

Why don't you run the poll?  There are more negative than positive posters on here.  I could run a poll that asked "Do you think Arkansas will lose to ULM" and 60% would say yes.   I researched it and Kentucky hasn't beaten a ranked team on the road in over 10 years(I only went 10 years back).  What does that mean?  Nothing, but neither does Nutt's record in Baton Rouge.  Different teams, different years.   If most national experts believe Arkansas is a top 20 team and Kentucky isn't then I think most national guys believe Arkansas is a better team.   When the SEC media days come in July I promise you more writers will have Arkansas higher in the SEC than Kentucky.   National and regional media all agree Arkansas is the better team and should win the game in September, but the better team doesn't always win.  National and regional media would also agree LSU is the better team than Arkansas, but the better team doesn't always win. 

+1 hogfan

MuskogeeHogFan

Lost by 31 to Louisville
Beat MSU 34-31
Beat ULM  42-40
Lost 49-0 to LSU

Never did I say they weren't decent last year, but Arkansas was much better than decent last year.  Show me a poll where UK is ranked above Arkansas.  Yes, UK could beat Arkansas next year, but UK could also go into Athens and beat the Bulldogs.  Vandy could go into Gville and beat Florida(they should've done it 2 years ago).  UK over Arkansas will be a popular upset pick by many, but Arkansas will still be the favorite.  South Carolina over Georgia will be a popular upset pick by many also(it always is), but UGA wins 75% of the time in that series and probably will do the same this year.   I think UK has a better shot of beating Arkansas than Troy, but if you held a gun to my head I'm taking Arkansas over UK. 

Why don't you run the poll?  There are more negative than positive posters on here.  I could run a poll that asked "Do you think Arkansas will lose to ULM" and 60% would say yes.   I researched it and Kentucky hasn't beaten a ranked team on the road in over 10 years(I only went 10 years back).  What does that mean?  Nothing, but neither does Nutt's record in Baton Rouge.  Different teams, different years.   If most national experts believe Arkansas is a top 20 team and Kentucky isn't then I think most national guys believe Arkansas is a better team.   When the SEC media days come in July I promise you more writers will have Arkansas higher in the SEC than Kentucky.   National and regional media all agree Arkansas is the better team and should win the game in September, but the better team doesn't always win.  National and regional media would also agree LSU is the better team than Arkansas, but the better team doesn't always win. 

I agree, the question at this point is in regard to Kentucky, not other teams down the line. And you are right, the Hogs will be more highly rated than Kentucky, and yes, it may very well be that Kentucky has not beaten a ranked team on the road in the last 20 years but they also haven't been to very many bowl games in that time, let alone having won, as they did last year. Arkansas SHOULD beat them, no doubt about it. Will they? That remains to be seen. That is the point of the thread, to discuss the Arkansas-Kentucky game.

Just my take.
Go Hogs Go!

slopinhogs

win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

hogfan064

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 07, 2007, 01:48:19 pm

Lost by 31 to Louisville
Beat MSU 34-31
Beat ULM  42-40
Lost 49-0 to LSU

Why don't you run the poll?  There are more negative than positive posters on here.  I could run a poll that asked "Do you think Arkansas will lose to ULM" and 60% would say yes.   I researched it and Kentucky hasn't beaten a ranked team on the road in over 10 years(I only went 10 years back).  What does that mean?  Nothing, but neither does Nutt's record in Baton Rouge.  Different teams, different years.   If most national experts believe Arkansas is a top 20 team and Kentucky isn't then I think most national guys believe Arkansas is a better team.   When the SEC media days come in July I promise you more writers will have Arkansas higher in the SEC than Kentucky.   National and regional media all agree Arkansas is the better team and should win the game in September, but the better team doesn't always win.  National and regional media would also agree LSU is the better team than Arkansas, but the better team doesn't always win. 

I agree, the question at this point is in regard to Kentucky, not other teams down the line. And you are right, the Hogs will be more highly rated than Kentucky, and yes, it may very well be that Kentucky has not beaten a ranked team on the road in the last 20 years but they also haven't been to very many bowl games in that time, let alone having won, as they did last year. Arkansas SHOULD beat them, no doubt about it. Will they? That remains to be seen. That is the point of the thread, to discuss the Arkansas-Kentucky game.

Just my take.

Exactly what I'm saying.  This is a game we will be favored to win.  Of course we were favored to lose to Auburn last year and that didn't happen.  There are very few games in the SEC next year that I would count as automatic wins for 1 team over another.   No game Arkansas plays in conference next year is an automatic win or loss, except maybe a home game with MSU.  Most likely we won't be favored by any team by more than 10(SEC team that is) and we won't be favored to lose to any SEC team by more than 10(unless things fall apart towards the end).  If I had to guess the lines in SEC games would look like this

at Alabama-Tide favored by 5
Kentucky-Hogs favored by 8
Auburn-Pickem
South Carolina-Hogs by 6
Tennessee-Vols by 5
LSU-Tigers by 8
Ole Miss-Hogs by 7
MSU-Hogs by 18

Going into the season that's what I'd say.  Now of course if we're 3-8 going into the LSU game then that line would likely by Tigers by 21.   Next year might be the deepest the SEC has seen in a long time.  Every team with the exception of Florida(can't improve over #1) should be improved.  Even Vandy looks dangerous and MSU can't be much worse.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 07, 2007, 01:57:31 pm
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 07, 2007, 01:48:19 pm

Lost by 31 to Louisville
Beat MSU 34-31
Beat ULM  42-40
Lost 49-0 to LSU

Just my take.

Exactly what I'm saying.  This is a game we will be favored to win.  Of course we were favored to lose to Auburn last year and that didn't happen.  There are very few games in the SEC next year that I would count as automatic wins for 1 team over another.   No game Arkansas plays in conference next year is an automatic win or loss, except maybe a home game with MSU.  Most likely we won't be favored by any team by more than 10(SEC team that is) and we won't be favored to lose to any SEC team by more than 10(unless things fall apart towards the end).  If I had to guess the lines in SEC games would look like this

at Alabama-Tide favored by 5
Kentucky-Hogs favored by 8
Auburn-Pickem
South Carolina-Hogs by 6
Tennessee-Vols by 5
LSU-Tigers by 8
Ole Miss-Hogs by 7
MSU-Hogs by 18

Going into the season that's what I'd say.  Now of course if we're 3-8 going into the LSU game then that line would likely by Tigers by 21.   Next year might be the deepest the SEC has seen in a long time.  Every team with the exception of Florida(can't improve over #1) should be improved.  Even Vandy looks dangerous and MSU can't be much worse.

I don't know.........if you check, most every single team, with very few exceptions, has problems with D-Line replacements and most all have problems with depth on both sides of the ball....perhaps with the exception of Florida.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on May 07, 2007, 02:04:05 pm

Lost by 31 to Louisville
Beat MSU 34-31
Beat ULM  42-40
Lost 49-0 to LSU

You can correlate the two with a blanket statement and take into consideration the differences in playing in Fayetteville versus playing in Baton Rouge. 

I agree with what you're saying:
LSU compared to Arkansas=Better team
Arkansas compared to Kentucky=Better team

However, you started this whole thing off with essentially giving them the similar odds to us winning in Baton Rouge.  We're not winning in Baton Rouge this year.  We haven't under Nutt and we won't start this year.  I would give the Hogs a 60/40 shot of winning at home versus Kentucky.  I'd give us about 10% shot of winning in Baton Rouge and that's if I'm feeling generous.  I think most would agree with me on that.  It doesn't have anything to do with being a negative board. 

This could wind up being a crazy season with all kinds of twists and turns that none of us expect and are impossible to predict, well, except for Tennessee-Chattanooga. :)
Go Hogs Go!

hogfan064

Lost by 31 to Louisville
Beat MSU 34-31
Beat ULM  42-40
Lost 49-0 to LSU

You can correlate the two with a blanket statement and take into consideration the differences in playing in Fayetteville versus playing in Baton Rouge. 

However, you started this whole thing off with essentially giving them the similar odds to us winning in Baton Rouge.  We're not winning in Baton Rouge this year.  We haven't under Nutt and we won't start this year.  I would give the Hogs a 60/40 shot of winning at home versus Kentucky.  I'd give us about 10% shot of winning in Baton Rouge and that's if I'm feeling generous.  I think most would agree with me on that.  It doesn't have anything to do with being a negative board. 

Well, we could argue this all day.   Nutt's record in Baton Rouge has nothing to do with this year as UK's road record against top 20 teams has nothing to do with this year.   UK is going to be an unranked team this year that will struggle to go bowling and if they do it will be a lower tier bowl.   Arkansas will be a team that has a chance to win the SECCW, but likely will fall short.  LSU has QB questions, but tons of talent mixed with what many consider an average SEC coach. 

With a kicker in 05 Arkansas would've won in Baton Rouge. Tejada seems to be the answer to our kicking problems.  Many of those same Hogs will play in BR next year. DMac ran for 180 yards in his first game in BR.    Casey Dick will definitely be improved in his next BR game.   Felix will be a much better RB than in 05, Monk a better WR.  The defense in 07 should be much better than the one we played with in 05.   Many thought it was "silly" that the Hogs would win in Auburn last year also. 

Fact is this group of Hogs has proven it can beat a top 5 team on the road.   Kentucky's group of players has never won a big road game. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 07, 2007, 02:16:20 pm

Lost by 31 to Louisville
Beat MSU 34-31
Beat ULM  42-40
Lost 49-0 to LSU

Well, we could argue this all day.   Nutt's record in Baton Rouge has nothing to do with this year as UK's road record against top 20 teams has nothing to do with this year.   UK is going to be an unranked team this year that will struggle to go bowling and if they do it will be a lower tier bowl.   Arkansas will be a team that has a chance to win the SECCW, but likely will fall short.  LSU has QB questions, but tons of talent mixed with what many consider an average SEC coach. 

With a kicker in 05 Arkansas would've won in Baton Rouge. Tejada seems to be the answer to our kicking problems.  Many of those same Hogs will play in BR next year. DMac ran for 180 yards in his first game in BR.    Casey Dick will definitely be improved in his next BR game.   Felix will be a much better RB than in 05, Monk a better WR.  The defense in 07 should be much better than the one we played with in 05.   Many thought it was "silly" that the Hogs would win in Auburn last year also. 

Fact is this group of Hogs has proven it can beat a top 5 team on the road.   Kentucky's group of players has never won a big road game. 

That is exactly what makes them so dangerous. Kentucky not only has some really good players, but they now believe that they can play and compete, with anyone. This is a danger game for the Hogs.
Go Hogs Go!

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 07, 2007, 11:11:12 am
While Arkansas ranked #29 in total offense last season(378 yards per game), Kentucky was right behind them at #31 nationally(375 yards per game). Total defense was a bit different as Arkansas ranked #26( 299.64 yards per game) to Kentucky's #118(453.38 per game with only an average of 184.5 yards rushing per game being counted in that total). Their pass defense(or the lack thereof) hurt them greatly. On the other hand, in terms of Passing Efficiency, Kentucky ranked #11 nationally to Arkansas being #62. Kentucky also came out on top in terms of Turnover Margin posting a +1.15 per game(#2 in the country) to Arkansas being at -.29 per game(#78 in the country).

Their run defense (or the lack thereof) hurt them just as bad as their pass defense.

they averaged giving up 184 yards rushing, which was dead last in the SEC.  Not just last, but averaged 26 yards rushing more than the second from the last (Ole Miss).  And more than twice than that of 1st (LSU) and 2nd (Florida).

Defense worst against the Pass and Rush last year.

Last Year's Results
Louisville Lost 28-59
Texas State-San Marcos Won 41-7
Mississippi Won 31-14
@Florida Lost 7-26
C. Michigan Won 45-36
South Carolina Lost 17-24
@LSU Lost 0-49
@Mississippi St. Won 34-31
Georgia Won 24-20
Vanderbilt Won 38-26
La.-Monroe Won 42-40
Tennessee Lost 12-17
Clemson Won 28-20

2 point win over LA-Monroe?  come on now

Arkansas wins this one easy guys!  Their defense won't hold up against the Dmac and Jones show.  If it was late in the year, I might have give them a shot due to our running backs being worn down, But they will be fresh for the Kentucky game.

cresentcitycouchon

the mere fact that we have to debate this game as a win or loss, is an "indictment" of the current state of the football program. Next question.

JD Hogg

dale's history tells us if bama beats us then a loss to kentucky is a virtual lock. 

351hog

Quote from: HoopSlap on May 07, 2007, 11:30:02 am

This is the general response I have seen time and again.   My problem with that simplistic answer is, and our defense is going to be great?   And against a pass happy team no less?   Remember the second half of the South Carolina game?  Thankfully, Reggie finally goes to a zone coverage and we squeaked out the W.   Woodson is much better than Mitchell.   Thankfully South Carolina stuck with Syvelle Newton too long.   Gone is Chris Houston.  Gone is JA.  Who knows about Grant and will Hewitt thrive as a safety?  I'm telling you all, watch out.  This will be a legit test and probably will be a shoot out.   They allowed 20 to Clemson in the bowl game... the same Clemson that had a great duo in the backfield.

My prediction is a Win... but close, close, close... and I would not be comfortable betting on this one.   In these kind of games, the Special Teams tend to be important.  Does that make anyone on our side comfortable?  Tack on the emotional factor of being on the road at Bama the week before, who knows?  We are in no position to NOT respect any of our opponents.  That's the easiest way to becoming the upset special of the week.  It is good to be confident, but you must respect the other team and you have to bring it every week.  I will put good money on the fact that Kentucky has us marked as a team they think they can knock off.  We better bring it.

Never said anything about NOT respecting them.  Just stated that they have a horrible defense...which they do.  They have an average offense and a horrible defense.  We have a great offense and an above average defense.  That should equal to an easy win against them.  Plus the fact we are playing them at home just adds to it. 

HoopS

Quote from: 351hog on May 07, 2007, 03:18:29 pm
Quote from: HoopSlap on May 07, 2007, 11:30:02 am

This is the general response I have seen time and again.   My problem with that simplistic answer is, and our defense is going to be great?   And against a pass happy team no less?   Remember the second half of the South Carolina game?  Thankfully, Reggie finally goes to a zone coverage and we squeaked out the W.   Woodson is much better than Mitchell.   Thankfully South Carolina stuck with Syvelle Newton too long.   Gone is Chris Houston.  Gone is JA.  Who knows about Grant and will Hewitt thrive as a safety?  I'm telling you all, watch out.  This will be a legit test and probably will be a shoot out.   They allowed 20 to Clemson in the bowl game... the same Clemson that had a great duo in the backfield.

My prediction is a Win... but close, close, close... and I would not be comfortable betting on this one.   In these kind of games, the Special Teams tend to be important.  Does that make anyone on our side comfortable?  Tack on the emotional factor of being on the road at Bama the week before, who knows?  We are in no position to NOT respect any of our opponents.  That's the easiest way to becoming the upset special of the week.  It is good to be confident, but you must respect the other team and you have to bring it every week.  I will put good money on the fact that Kentucky has us marked as a team they think they can knock off.  We better bring it.

Never said anything about NOT respecting them.  Just stated that they have a horrible defense...which they do.  They have an average offense and a horrible defense.  We have a great offense and an above average defense.  That should equal to an easy win against them.  Plus the fact we are playing them at home just adds to it. 

I won't argue with your intent, or my understanding of it... I just know that you wrote   ..... "they have no chance in beating us."    Let's just say that I respect them more than you, obviously.  As an athlete, I can tell you that our players better respect them more than that quote above.    I understand what you are saying about their defense and agree.   I don't believe that our defense will be above average in pass defense.   I think when you replace your best end, your best corner, your best linebacker and some other valueable depth off your defense, it may be safe to assume that we may struggle early.  Especially if you consider our recruiting.   We have some very able bodies, to be sure.  But I am of the belief that some of us are way underestimating Woodson and co...  Maybe I am wrong.  I hope I am.   I just remember watching them against Clemson and telling a friend "great, a pass happy team with a good QB is coming onto our schedule".... and that could very well spell U-P-S-E-T.... 

Again, so long as the players and the coaches have the right attitude, we should win.   We as fans can look past them all we want, I will be watching this one with butterflies in my stomach.