Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hosting the SEC Tournament

Started by msudawgs64, April 27, 2007, 04:32:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

msudawgs64

with the earlier thread asking about Hoover hosting the tournament I got to thinking about stadiums I would like to see host the tournament on a rotating basis with each SEC team as the host, note that they don't have to be in the same city as the host school, only the state or closest stadium in proximity (Ole Miss would be the host in Memphis since they are closer to there than us) and must currently exist..  Feel free to disagree or make changes.

Alabama-Hoover Met in Birmingham
Arkansas-Dickey-Stephens Park in N. Little Rock
Auburn-Riverwalk Stadium in Montgomery
Florida-Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville
Georgia-State Mutual Stadium in Rome
Kentucky-Applebee's Park in Lexington (though personally I think that Louisville Slugger Field in well, Louisville, is a nicer stadium)
LSU-Zephyr Field in New Orleans
Mississippi State-Trustmark Park in Pearl
Ole Miss-Autozone Park in Memphis
South Carolina-Coastal Federal Field in Myrtle Beach
Tennessee-Smokies Park in Sevierville
Vanderbilt-Greer Stadium in Nashville (they are building a new stadium to replace this one due to open in 2008, that one would be used instead)

pretty cool site on minor league ballparks, where I got most of these, minus Dickey-Stephens, which is not listed on this site yet.

http://www.ballparkreviews.com/minparks.php

BTW, I know it won't happen but one could hope.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

cubbie

Im not a cards fan but they could play in Memiphs at the Red Birds place. We would probably only lose a couple of people to shootings and such.
If you were a Hotdog would you eat yourself? I know I would.

spudhog

as usual msu, your info draws little parallel. how do you do it?

Valerie

I would love to see the SEC Tourney moved from Hoover!...okay facilities but way way too many Alabamians (??)

hogfan064

In South Carolina I would prefer Joe Riley Park in Charleston, home of The Citadel and the Charleston River Dogs. I've been to Smokies Park and really liked it.

hogfan064

msudawgs64

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 28, 2007, 12:29:31 pm
http://www.ballparkreviews.com/pearl/pearl.htm#

Look Like Baum to anyone else besides me? 

exactly like it..I was thinking that the other day..I actually like this design.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

hogfan064

Quote from: msudawgs64 on April 29, 2007, 12:18:21 pm
Quote from: hogfan064 on April 28, 2007, 12:29:31 pm
http://www.ballparkreviews.com/pearl/pearl.htm#

Look Like Baum to anyone else besides me? 

If I'm not mistaken this is where MSU and Ole Miss play the Governor's Cup game now.

exactly like it..I was thinking that the other day..I actually like this design.

msudawgs64

you are correct..we moved out of Smith-Willis Stadium.  Get a bigger paycheck for playing here, something that SW could not match.

Ouachihog

I love this idea MSU.  It would give those that travel to the baseball tourney a taste of many different minor league parks and areas. 

Is your idea to have the rotation set in advance or have the #1 seed earn the right to host it?  If the rotation was set, the only negative would be if the host team didn't make the tourney that year. This set-up would put the host team at a slight advantage obviously, but heck it is better than Alabama having the advantage EVERY year. 

I doubt it will ever happen, but i would be all for it. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

hogfan47

sounds like a great idea.
which says they will never go for it .
roflmao
C L martin

Fort Smith Ark    

start the healing process now

BigDave70

I like the tourney being in Hoover only because I live about 15 mins from the Met but I think it would be a great if the tourney rotated every 2 years
"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts."  Paul "Bear" Bryant

hogfan064

Quote from: Ouachihog on April 29, 2007, 05:16:24 pm
I love this idea MSU.  It would give those that travel to the baseball tourney a taste of many different minor league parks and areas. 

Is your idea to have the rotation set in advance or have the #1 seed earn the right to host it?  If the rotation was set, the only negative would be if the host team didn't make the tourney that year. This set-up would put the host team at a slight advantage obviously, but heck it is better than Alabama having the advantage EVERY year. 

It has been discussed for years.  At one time Turner Field wanted the game, but Hoover will always keep it.   If I'm not mistaken the ACC tourney will be at Fenway Park in the coming years since BC is now in the league. 

Ouachihog

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 29, 2007, 06:09:31 pm
Quote from: Ouachihog on April 29, 2007, 05:16:24 pm

It has been discussed for years.  At one time Turner Field wanted the game, but Hoover will always keep it.   If I'm not mistaken the ACC tourney will be at Fenway Park in the coming years since BC is now in the league. 

Just the SEC being short-sighted IMO.  Hoover does a good job, but it is certainly not the only place that could do so. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

swatters

Baseball is a game of tradition and fan support.   SEC tournaments at Hoover have had great fan support (no matter who is playing), and is a great baseball atmosphere.   There is a following of college baseball fans (not the "NBA"...National Bandwagaon Association fans) that go to the SEC tourney and to the College World Series ever year they can.    The atmosphere is made by these supporters, along with the die-hard baseball fans from each school.

So, moving a tournament around in rotation may work in other sports, my 2 cents is that moving it out of Hoover makes about as much sense as moving the CWS out of Omaha.

Neither will happen....I hope!

Baseball is life.

mikeb

Quote from: swatters on April 29, 2007, 07:13:34 pm
Baseball is a game of tradition and fan support.   SEC tournaments at Hoover have had great fan support (no matter who is playing), and is a great baseball atmosphere.   There is a following of college baseball fans (not the "NBA"...National Bandwagaon Association fans) that go to the SEC tourney and to the College World Series ever year they can.    The atmosphere is made by these supporters, along with the die-hard baseball fans from each school.

So, moving a tournament around in rotation may work in other sports, my 2 cents is that moving it out of Hoover makes about as much sense as moving the CWS out of Omaha.

Baseball is life.

Good post, keep on reading and posting

jbell96

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 28, 2007, 11:38:32 am
In South Carolina I would prefer Joe Riley Park in Charleston, home of The Citadel and the Charleston River Dogs. I've been to Smokies Park and really liked it.

I like the ballpark, but the surrounding neighboorhood kind of scares me.

msudawgs64

Quote from: swatters on April 29, 2007, 07:13:34 pm
Baseball is a game of tradition and fan support.   SEC tournaments at Hoover have had great fan support (no matter who is playing), and is a great baseball atmosphere.   There is a following of college baseball fans (not the "NBA"...National Bandwagaon Association fans) that go to the SEC tourney and to the College World Series ever year they can.    The atmosphere is made by these supporters, along with the die-hard baseball fans from each school.

Baseball is life.

you are right and as long as Hoover keeps the stadium in decent shape and makes any changes or whatever the SEC asks for it will stay there, same as football at the Georgia Dome.  Just thought it would be an interesting topic.  Actually if they wanted to go back to tradition they would move back to on campus sites for the tournament.   It has only been at Hoover on a non-stop basis since 1998.  Other than that, this is who has hosted the tournament over the years, which would be 1977, this was the first year of the tournament.

Oxford-2x
Gainesville-5x
Starkville-5x
Baton Rouge-4x
Athens-1x
Hoover (before 1998) 2x
Columbia-1x
Lexington-1x
Knoxville-1x
Columbus GA-1x

Note that 1993, 1994, and 1995 there was a East tournament and a West tournament.

mikeb

Quote from: opineonswine on April 29, 2007, 07:31:53 pm
Arkansas would be at the new NWA Naturals Park in Springdale to be open by next summer.  It will be first class all the way.

And they could serve beer  8)

msudawgs64

Arkansas would be at the new NWA Naturals Park in Springdale to be open by next summer.  It will be first class all the way.

I knew they were opening up a new one in Springdale but did not know the name. 

chiefsfan

Quote from: mikeb on April 29, 2007, 07:34:30 pm

Dickey Stephens serves beer as well.   The reason that the new ballpark in Springdale wont host it is Hotel space...   Something Little Rock and North Little Rock have alot of.   

Although the tourney will be in Hooever for a long time to come
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

mikeb

Quote from: chiefsfan on April 29, 2007, 07:36:48 pm

Dickey Stephens serves beer as well.   The reason that the new ballpark in Springdale wont host it is Hotel space...   Something Little Rock and North Little Rock have alot of.   

Hotel Space? have you been around here lately and seen all the new Hotels?

msudawgs64

hotels in the NWA area would not be an issue.

mikeb

Quote from: msudawgs64 on April 29, 2007, 08:02:04 pm
hotels in the NWA area would not be an issue.

Unless they consider the miles away from the stadium, like they do for hosting a Regional for basketball...but I'm not sure how they even do that or why when it's only 15-20 minutes away from Bentonville. And less from Rogers and Springdale

swatters

Quote from: msudawgs64 on April 29, 2007, 07:25:37 pm
you are right and as long as Hoover keeps the stadium in decent shape and makes any changes or whatever the SEC asks for it will stay there, same as football at the Georgia Dome.  Just thought it would be an interesting topic. 

There was a threat a few years ago to move it out of Hoover, which only then made them upgrade the stadium....it was marginal beforeand.

Campus sights are a bad idea, which is why they moved off.   However, as a topic for discussion, your listing of parks was very good indeed.   I like Dickey-Stephens over the Naturals park, largely because Springfield is too close to UA campus.   Same reason the KY site might be another place, but I don't know the minor league parks like you obviously do.

cowboym

Quote from: mikeb on April 29, 2007, 07:42:43 pm
Quote from: chiefsfan on April 29, 2007, 07:36:48 pm

Hotel Space? have you been around here lately and seen all the new Hotels?

We get a new hotel about every 3 months.  We have plenty of Hotel rooms in NWA including several large ones for the teams to stay in with restaurants like the Clarion-Bentonville, Embassy Suites and the New addition to Embassy Suites that could probably host 3 or 4 teams.  Homewood Suites in Rogers I could keep going.
Cowboy M

BigDave70

They don't sell beer at the Hoover met
"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts."  Paul "Bear" Bryant

msudawgs64

Quote from: BigDave70 on April 30, 2007, 10:51:31 pm
They don't sell beer at the Hoover met

they probably would not sell it at any that hosted the SEC tournament, it is a NCAA/SEC sanctioned event and I think they frown on it, though as an off campus facility they should be allowed to, just my opinion.

BigDave70