Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steve Spurrier

Started by ilovepinebluff, April 25, 2007, 07:24:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ilovepinebluff

Do you guys think that he is an average coach?

NuttinItUp

For college coaches, he is above average.

For pro coaches, he is below average.

mword

He's better than Nutt. But than again, pretty much all coaches are better than Nutt.

ilovepinebluff

He has a winning percentage of 75%..

fu-man-soo

BartIV

Easily, he is above average. Any coach who can win a NC and have heisman winners is above average.

ilovepinebluff

Wouldn't a winning percentage of 75% be considered "average" though?

hoghearted

nice try, pinebluff. you may consider him average, but he is head and shoulders better than the nuttjob.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Oliver

Quote from: ilovepinebluff on April 25, 2007, 07:29:54 pm

If there were a lot of coaches that had a winning percentage of 100%, it would be.

hogs25

He ONLY lost 3 games at the Swamp while at UF.

ilovepinebluff

What im trying to figure out is......People consider our 10-4 season a "C" season, because we won 71% of games. But while Spurrier also has a grade of a "C"(winning percentage), he is considered a GREAT coach.

Double standard?

Oliver

Quote from: ilovepinebluff on April 25, 2007, 07:36:49 pm
What im trying to figure out is......People consider our 10-4 season a "C" season, because we won 71% of games. But while Spurrier also has a grade of a "C"(winning percentage), he is considered a GREAT coach.

Double standard?

The people that were complaining about that were complaining that a 10-4 season (or a 71% winning season) has been Nutt's BEST season in 9 years here.  A 10-4 season to Spurrier would have been an average season at Florida and soon it will be considered an average season at South Carolina.

Bigfoot

Quote from: schweine on April 25, 2007, 07:26:42 pm
He's better than Nutt. But than again, pretty much all coaches are better than Nutt.
that was,nt the question dude

Bigfoot

he is not the coach he once was, not at all

Bigfoot

houston beat him!!! oh my god!! that cant be true!! lol

Oliver

Quote from: bigfoot on April 25, 2007, 07:48:11 pm

Yeah, and the Devil Rays just got done beating the Yanks.  That doesn't mean I think they have a better coach.

hogfan064

Quote from: bigfoot on April 25, 2007, 07:47:15 pm

Do some research and you will realize winning at South Carolina isn't an easy thing.  THe man has done more at USC than any coach ever has in his first 2 years.  They won 8 games last year and only had 5 seniors on the entire team, plus they just signed a top 5 recruiting class.

Bigfoot

Quote from: Oliver Miller on April 25, 2007, 07:49:08 pm
Quote from: bigfoot on April 25, 2007, 07:48:11 pm

Yeah, and the Devil Rays just got done beating the Yanks.  That doesn't mean I think they have a better coach.
yeah, but the yanks suck dude! we are talking college here anyway

Bigfoot

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 25, 2007, 07:50:23 pm
Quote from: bigfoot on April 25, 2007, 07:47:15 pm

Do some research and you will realize winning at South Carolina isn't an easy thing.  THe man has done more at USC than any coach ever has in his first 2 years.  They won 8 games last year and only had 5 seniors on the entire team, plus they just signed a top 5 recruiting class.
ok otis kirk take it easy!

Bigfoot

are any of you guy's razorback fans? or is this a texas site? just wondering?

hogfan064

Quote from: bigfoot on April 25, 2007, 07:54:42 pm
are any of you guy's razorback fans? or is this a texas site? just wondering?

What does that have to do with saying Steve Spurrier is a great coach.   The man has a ACC title, 6 SEC titles, and was a blocked Extra Point away from winning the SEC East with South Carolina!!   He's the first USC coach to win 15 games in his first 2 years.   He's the first USC coach to win in Knoxville, he's easily outcoached Florida 2 straight years.  He's the first USC coach to take a team to bowl games in his first 2 years.  In those 2 bowl games his Gamecocks broke school records both times for points scored.    Will he win 6 SEC Championships at USC?  No, I doubt it, but that doesn't mean he isn't a great coach.   If he wins just won it will be more than legendary coaches Lou Holtz and Paul Dietzel ever did at that school

ilovepinebluff

I actually think he is a great coach. I just dont think our 2006 season should be considered "average".

HawgAdvocate

He's a great coach who isn't as hungry as he used to be.

Guys like him, Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs, etc have let their age dictate their success.

They're not going that extra mile anymore. They're still good, but the consistant success they all once enjoyed is long since gone.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hogfan064

Quote from: ilovepinebluff on April 25, 2007, 08:12:18 pm
I actually think he is a great coach. I just dont think our 2006 season should be considered "average".

7-2 in the SEC with losses to 4 top 6 teams isn't average.  Those who think it is average are blinded by their hatred of Nutt and man crushes with Gus.  Average is 5-3 or 4-4 in SEC football.   Say what you want, but the 2007 season is the best season since 1989. 

hogfan064

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 25, 2007, 08:14:18 pm

Guys like him, Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs, etc have let their age dictate their success.

They're not going that extra mile anymore. They're still good, but the consistant success they all once enjoyed is long since gone.

What do you base this on?   Again, you've got to understand the situation he's in.  If he were coaching Alabama the last 2 years he'd probably have 2 SEC Championships. 

moses_007

He's a great coach, but he hasn't had a lot of talent at SC.  Lou Holtz found that out himself. :razorback:

hogfan064

Quote from: moses_007 on April 25, 2007, 08:17:44 pm
He's a great coach, but he hasn't had a lot of talent at SC.  Lou Holtz found that out himself. :razorback:

Not to mention the fact that before he coached a game at USC he had to kick off the 2 most talented players on the team(Demetrius SUmmers and Moe Thompson).   In 05 he was a blocked extra point away from winning the SEC East with 2 true freshmen playing at RB and a starting QB that hadn't even thrown 20 passes in his career.  In 06 he won 8 gams and lost 4 games to top 15 teams by a TD or less.  He did this in 06 with only 5 seniors on the entire team.

Then he signs the #4 class in the country according to ESPN.   I fail to see why some of you state this man still isn't great. 

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 25, 2007, 08:16:17 pm

What do you base this on?   Again, you've got to understand the situation he's in.  If he were coaching Alabama the last 2 years he'd probably have 2 SEC Championships. 

I base it on my opinion, just as you did on any possible success at Bama. I understand his situation. But he's got a football team just like every other D-1 team in the country does.

His QBs have 2 arms, 2 eyes, and 2 legs just like every other QB out there. Only his QBs haven't impressed at all over the past 2 seasons. I know he has a great recruiting class coming in, and maybe his assistants (if he can keep a whole unit around for more than a year) can coach them into massive success much like Florida St.'s do for Bobby Bowden.

But if HDN can take a bunch of perennial losers from Danny Ford and make national headlines in year one, then I'd think Steve Spurrier could at come close to competing in the SEC east, and not finish next to last after year two.

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

AlcoHOGic

Quote from: BartIV on April 25, 2007, 07:27:40 pm
Easily, he is above average. Any coach who can win a NC and have heisman winners is above average.

Heismans make you a great coach, hmm.

hogfan064

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 25, 2007, 08:28:11 pm
Quote from: hogfan064 on April 25, 2007, 08:16:17 pm

What do you base this on?   Again, you've got to understand the situation he's in.  If he were coaching Alabama the last 2 years he'd probably have 2 SEC Championships. 

But if HDN can take a bunch of perennial losers from Danny Ford and make national headlines in year one, then I'd think Steve Spurrier could at come close to competing in the SEC east, and not finish next to last after year two.

Gee ya think.  Spurrier would've won the SEC East in 2005 if not for a missed FG against Georgia.  In year 1 he nearly did the impossible.

VoR

When he took over Fla, Fla was the equivalent of Ole Miss, MSU, KY, Vandy, not to mention Duke was a pretty decent team when he left there. USC-E looks ready to take the next step, maybe not this year, but not long. I'd rate him way above average.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

hogfan064

If Spurrier isn't a great coach today then why was he the first choice of 2 of CFB's most historic programs when jobs were open at Bama and Miami this year?   

hogwildinhouston

Good lord, how has this thread gone so far without this being addressed.

How in the hell could you consider this average, when it ranks him in the top-10 to 15 all time in winning percentage.  First of all, he's technically won 76% of his games, which puts him ahead of Joe Paterno, Darryl Royal, Woody Hayes,  and has him just behind Bear Bryant and Bobby Bowden.

That even includes a 5 seasons as HC at Duke and South Carolina,  not exactly football powerhouses.

Nice try trying to put a % in a context where it doesn't fit.  The fact is the man dominated the best football conference in the country for nearly 10 years.

Sign me up for average if that's average.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 25, 2007, 08:36:42 pm
Gee ya think.  Spurrier would've won the SEC East in 2005 if not for a missed FG against Georgia.  In year 1 he nearly did the impossible.

Gee, ya I think. And a play here, a block there, and according to HDN the Hogs would be undefeated.

The bottom line is that Spurrier's best years are behind him. South Carolina spent money on a guy who can sell tickets and recruit kids based on his past success. If he was so close to doing the impossible in year one, then his next to last place finish wouldn't make much sense then would it?

hogfan064

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 25, 2007, 08:43:42 pm

Gee, ya I think. And a play here, a block there, and according to HDN the Hogs would be undefeated.

The bottom line is that Spurrier's best years are behind him. South Carolina spent money on a guy who can sell tickets and recruit kids based on his past success. If he was so close to doing the impossible in year one, then his next to last place finish wouldn't make much sense then would it?

He had 5 seniors on the entire team and lost to some very good teams.  Sure his record was below UK's in the East, but he went up to Lexington and beat the Cats.  UK had the advantage of playing Ole Miss and MSU in the west instead of Arkansas and Auburn.  Spurrier also played most of the year with a Wide Reciever at QB due to Mitchell's fight in a bar early in the year. 

My wife works for USC and I can promise you they didn't hire Spurrier just to sell tickets.  USC averaged 80,000 a game during a 0-11 season.  Selling tickets has never been a problem in Columbia.  And yes, his name does bring in recruits, but that's part of being a great coach.  He completely outrecruited the Great Butch Davis(who has a big name) in the State of NC and took some very good recruits out of Florida. 

Will he win a SEC Championship at USC?  I'm not sure, but if he doesn't it won't be a failure.  USC has 1 championship in its history and that was a 1969 ACC Championship with a 7-5 team.   Pete Carrol wouldn't do any better at USC that Spurrier has. 

Puerco Diablo

Double standard?

If Nutt wins a national championship I will give him an A+ and a gold star!

hogwildinhouston

What on earth makes you think his best years are behind him?  He took over a program that needed rebuilding.  He's doing that EXTREMELY well.  The team is getting better, and this past season he signed the #6 recruiting class. 

How can you say his best years are behind him? 

The fact is he's building a roster that is becoming eerily similar to his Florida rosters, yet  no one here wants to admit that.

People here who are criticizing Spurrier are in serious denial about what he's doing at SC.

hogfan064

Quote from: hogwildinhouston on April 25, 2007, 08:51:53 pm

What on earth makes you think his best years are behind him?  He took over a program that needed rebuilding.  He's doing that EXTREMELY well.  The team is getting better, and this past season he signed the #6 recruiting class. 

The fact is he's building a roster that is becoming eerily similar to his Florida rosters, yet  no one here wants to admit that.

People here who are criticizing Spurrier are in serious denial about what he's doing at SC.

Some folks are blind to the truth when the truth hurts. 

hawgdog2005

you can not compare Spurrier to NUTT.  Nutt is awful  Fire hDN NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hogwildinhouston

Double standard?

Why are you trying to compare apples to oranges?

Nutt has ONE FREAKING SEASON that was 71%, to bring his overall record to barely 60%.  That was a season that ended with 3 straight losses.

Spurriers CAREER RECORD is 76%, which includes mulitple double digit win seasons, multiple SEC championships, and a national championship.

My God, do you think anyone here would be bitching about Nutt or last season if he had any of those to his credit?  If he had Spurrier's track record, he could have personally recited the email about Mustain in a press conference and most people would still support him.

Nice try in making Nutt's best season ever, in year 9, equivalent to Spurrier's career.

ilovepinebluff

April 25, 2007, 09:03:31 pm #40 Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 09:05:21 pm by ilovepinebluff
Quote from: Cooper on April 25, 2007, 08:25:44 pm

Double standard?

Does nutt do that consistently? No.
Does/has Spurrier? Yes.

Once again, this thread has nothing to do with Nutt. Nowhere in my post did I mention Nutt. I am defending last season. Anyone who calls a 10-4 season "average" and backs it up with percentages knows nothing about football.

And once again, I think Spurrier is a GREAT coach. Im just trying to prove a point.

hogwildinhouston

April 25, 2007, 09:09:08 pm #41 Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 09:18:00 pm by hogwildinhouston
Quote from: ilovepinebluff on April 25, 2007, 09:03:31 pm

Once again, this thread has nothing to do with Nutt. Nowhere in my post did I mention Nutt. I am defending last season. Anyone who calls a 10-4 season "average" and backs it up with percentages knows nothing about football.

And once again, I think Spurrier is a GREAT coach. Im just trying to prove a point.

What you are trying to do is compare one season, which is called average in the context of what could have been and the coaches entire career, to another coaches entire career which is outstanding in every respect.

You are trying to make a point that has absolutely no basis whatsoever.

Edit:  Let me clarify this even more....

Nutt has ONE season of 10 wins, which occurred in a 14 game season.  That is over 10 years as a D1 head coach.

Spurrier has NINE 10+ win seasons, none of which took a 14 game season.  That is over 17 years as a D1 head coach.

In other words, Spurriers % of 10+ win seasons is nearly as good at Nutt's overall win %, and NONE of them took as many games as Nutt's one 10 win season.

Not sure how it can be summed up any better than that.

deshahawg

Best college football coach of all time. He took Duke to a conference championship!!

HawgAdvocate

April 25, 2007, 09:25:50 pm #43 Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 09:28:45 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: hogfan064 on April 25, 2007, 08:53:21 pm
Quote from: hogwildinhouston on April 25, 2007, 08:51:53 pm

Some folks are blind to the truth when the truth hurts. 

I could give a rat's a$$ about Spurrier or South Carolina. If you don't like my opinion, then that's cool with me. But it's still my opinion.

And he still finished next to last in the SEC East.

I know he's a great coach. Hell, Joe Pa is a great coach, as is Bobby Bowden, but they aren't exactly competing at the same level they have in years past now are they?

Until Spurrier can take South Carolina and make them a better team than Georgia or Tennessee, he isn't gonna make me believe for one second that he's got the same hunger to win as he did at Florida.

And that's not just based on my opinion. There's been a couple articles out there that call into question a coach's effectiveness once they reach a certain age. Bill Simmons wrote one not to long ago.

Hence why I included Parcells and Gibbs into n earlier post. Are they bad coaches? Don't make it such a personal issue. if I hurt your feelings then I'm sorry. Read the opinion, and move on. Saying the "truth hurts" is childish, especially when your "truth" is no more than an opinion.

TDHog

April 25, 2007, 09:29:23 pm #44 Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 09:31:02 pm by TDHog

Double standard?

He also coached and won at Duke.

We also only beat 1 or 2 teams with a winning record.  Yeah Nutt!!

Purple Tiger

Quote from: VoR on April 25, 2007, 08:37:27 pm

When he took over Fla, Fla was the equivalent of Ole Miss, MSU, KY, Vandy, not to mention Duke was a pretty decent team when he left there. USC-E looks ready to take the next step, maybe not this year, but not long. I'd rate him way above average.

Florida was very good when Spurrier took over,he just elevated them to another level. You need to check Gators history. As ya'll have learned,you can be good and not win SEC title.

hawgfan_18

Double standard?

ya we had a 10 win season in the first year of the 12 game season instead of 11. and obviously our 12th game was a patsy team. and we ended this "great" season on a 3 game losing streak. which leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

ilovepinebluff

Quote from: Purple Tiger on April 25, 2007, 09:36:11 pm
Quote from: VoR on April 25, 2007, 08:37:27 pm

Florida was very good when Spurrier took over,he just elevated them to another level. You need to check Gators history. As ya'll have learned,you can be good and not win SEC title.

I really dont think some of our fans have learned that yet.

hogwildinhouston

April 25, 2007, 09:40:00 pm #48 Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 09:42:32 pm by hogwildinhouston
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 25, 2007, 09:25:50 pm

I could give a rat's a$$ about Spurrier or South Carolina. If you don't like my opinion, then that's cool with me. But it's still my opinion.

And he still finished next to last in the SEC East.

I know he's a great coach. Hell, Joe Pa is a great coach, as is Bobby Bowden, but they aren't exactly competing at the same level they have in years past now are they?

Until Spurrier can take South Carolina and make them a better team than Georgia or Tennessee, he isn't gonna make me believe for one second that he's got the same hunger to win as he did at Florida.

And that's not just based on my opinion. There's been a couple articles out there that call into question a coach's effectiveness once they reach a certain age. Bill Simmons wrote one not to long ago.

Hence why I included Parcells and Gibbs into n earlier post. Are they bad coaches? Don't make it such a personal issue. if I hurt your feelings then I'm sorry. Read the opinion, and move on. Saying the "truth hurts" is childish, especially when your "truth" is no more than an opinion.

In his second season taking over a program that needed rebuilding, he finished with an 8 win season and a bowl game win.  Yes, he finished "next to last" in the SEC East, but he finished ahead of  4 other SEC teams record wise and qualified for a bowl game.  He did this in his second season in which he played a WR as quarterback for 6 games of that season at a school that has made only 3 or 4 other bowl games in their history.

His 2 recruiting classes have both been ranked in the top 25, with his second ranked 6th.  This at a program labeled as impossible to recruit to.

He's poised to make a run in the SEC east in year 3.

Paterno is nearly 80.  Bowden is 77.  Neither of them has had great recruiting classes in recent memory.

Spurrier is 64 and had a great one last year.

To say he is past his effectiveness is absolutely premature at this point.  I think his 2.5 years at SC has proven he's still one of the best in the SEC.  He's improving every year, yet you say his best years are behind him.

Wes Craven

Double standard?

Hey jackass, his 75% winning percentage is over an entire body of work. Houston Nutt in his flagship year went 9-3 which is a 75% winning percentage. His career winning percentage is a mediocre at best and, oh by the way, HDN hasn't won any National Titles last I checked.