Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Pelphrey to visit

Started by The Recruiting Guy, April 17, 2007, 01:28:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Recruiting Guy

R.L. Horton Thursday. This according to Head Coach Thomas Billups at Jackson Lanier HS.

The Recruiting Guy

I just talked to Coach Billups and he said Horton's parents had just called Coach Pelphrey and told him not to come down. They have made their decision.

hogfan98

Quote from: Richard Davenport on April 17, 2007, 03:05:24 pm
I just talked to Coach Billups and he said Horton's parents had just called Coach Pelphrey and told him not to come down. They have made their decision.

what does that mean?

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: hogfan98 on April 17, 2007, 03:08:42 pm

what does that mean?

He's not interested and will attend a different school.

hogfan98

Quote from: Richard Davenport on April 17, 2007, 03:11:00 pm
Quote from: hogfan98 on April 17, 2007, 03:08:42 pm

what does that mean?

He's not interested and will attend a different school.

gotcha.  what next?

jhudson84

Great! 

His other choices seemed to be Middle Tennssee St, Jackson, South Alabama.

I hope we dont compete with them often or JP will be in trouble.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Im afraid it may take a little time for Coah Pel to get himself established in the recruiting world.

Hopefully we can still find some quality guards to go with this year's team.

Whats next for coach P?

rljjr

Sometimes kids like to stay near home. Who knows?

501Ben

HawgG

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 17, 2007, 03:47:14 pm
Im afraid it may take a little time for Coah Pel to get himself established in the recruiting world.

Whats next for coach P?

That is very true unfortunately for the Arkansas program time is not something it has a whole lot of.

We have essentially 3 months to get 8 SEC level prospects saying yes they will be a Razorback.

I am not talking about Auburn quality either, I mean Kentucky and Florida, quality prospects.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: HawgG on April 17, 2007, 08:59:09 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 17, 2007, 03:47:14 pm

Whats next for coach P?

That is very true unfortunately for the Arkansas program time is not something it has a whole lot of.

We have essentially 3 months to get 8 SEC level prospects saying yes they will be a Razorback.

I am not talking about Auburn quality either, I mean Kentucky and Florida, quality prospects.

the next signing period is not until November right?

We still dont ahve that much time though.

Tomhog™

Arkansas will suffer from growing pains with the new coach.  The carosel has really hurt our recruiting more than we'd like to admit.  We may be headed in the wrong direction after this next season.  I just hope we don't sink down to a 12 to 14 win team while trying to re-establish ourselves...

HawgG

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45the next signing period is not until November right?

We still dont have that much time though

I don't want to make it sound like the new coaching staff can't get it done, because I don't know what they can do and neither does any of these other cats claiming that Coach Pelphrey is going to bring back the days of Nolan.

The truth is none of us know for sure what is going to happen.

What I do know is they have three months to be associated with 6 or 7 Big Time SEC talents heading into the early signing period or the program is in trouble.

Coming out of AAU season there needs to be great talent wanting to be Razorbacks and not just reaches and potential late bloomers.

"Arkansas is on the clock."

Tomhog™

A big hindrance is that no one knows Pelphrey.  He's not a Calipari or a Gillispie.  Having a name really gets your foot in the door.  It appears right now that Pel will have to MAKE a name for himself by taking average recruits and making them great...

HawgG

Quote from: Tomcat on April 18, 2007, 09:10:31 am
Arkansas will suffer from growing pains with the new coach.  The carosel has really hurt our recruiting more than we'd like to admit.  We may be headed in the wrong direction after this next season.  I just hope we don't sink down to a 12 to 14 win team while trying to re-establish ourselves...

TomCat I hope what you wrote is not true because if it is then he shouldn't have been hired.

This was not a rebuilding situation or a place where someone has to grow into the position.

The guy that rebuilt it is down in Tampa,Fl now.

Arkansas is set up to win big immediately since none of the key guys transferred out which is very rare and surprising to be honest.

Razorod

The real key is not the recruits--it is quality of the coaching staff Pelphrey puts together.

Ground can be made up in a hurry if the right staff is assembled.

One of Heath's flaws was that it took him way too long to put a good staff together. Unfortunately, by the time he put one together, it was too late.

Same thing with Nutt. To me his fundamental flaw is an unsatisfactory staff. Has been since he brought six assistants with him from Boise St and recruiting has been hit and miss during his whole tenure. Kind of like Heath's.

What do Nutt, Heath and Pelphrey have in common? They were all hired at a very young and/or inexperienced stage in their careers. Not much of a reputation to entice the high quality assistants to come and work for them.

Can Pelphrey break the trend set in motion by Nutt and followed by Heath of not doing a very good job of putting a staff together. Time will tell.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

jhudson84

Would change all that if JP can somehow talk Dickey into coming over to the hill.

No huggers Im not talking about Houston's brother.

Tomhog™

Quote from: HawgG on April 18, 2007, 09:33:18 am

TomCat I hope what you wrote is not true because if it is then he shouldn't have been hired.

This was not a rebuilding situation or a place where someone has to grow into the position.

Arkansas is set up to win big immediately since none of the key guys transferred out which is very rare and surprising to be honest.

I'm not talking about this upcoming year.  I'm talking about the year after that.  Washington, Welsh, and Beverley can't do it all on their own.  THis year is going to be tough to get any more commits that are SEC-caliber.  The program is in jeapordy of going down a level or two if recruiting is not dynamite in '08.  '07 is looking like it's going to be weak at this point with only Rakestraw...

Bomis Hawg

April 18, 2007, 01:26:43 pm #19 Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 01:28:22 pm by Bomis Hawg
The press Arkansas got with Heath/Gillispie/Calipari/Altman doesn't help.  Pelphrey wasn't in place for the Real Deal on the Hill, either.

I think, at this stage of the game, getting that 2nd or 3rd shollie for this team filled will be tough for anyone.  I hope Bush gets those ACT points and comes to Arkansas. 

You need to get role players in this class.  Nothing has to be spectacular.  If Coach Pelphrey can win games with the guys he has, which should be very possible, those top recruits will come for the following class.  Rakestraw will be a good addition.  You need a couple of role players to help the cause now.

Speaking of the following classes, what is the status of Gulley?

tbhogfan

The really important class is next year's.  If they get an extra guy for this class, great.   

Once JP gets his staff in order, they can start working on the 2008 class.  That class will be pivotal for the program.
Go Hogs!

HawgG

Quote from: Tomcat on April 18, 2007, 11:59:28 am
Quote from: HawgG on April 18, 2007, 09:33:18 am

I'm not talking about this upcoming year.  I'm talking about the year after that.  Washington, Welsh, and Beverley can't do it all on their own.  THis year is going to be tough to get any more commits that are SEC-caliber.  The program is in jeapordy of going down a level or two if recruiting is not dynamite in '08.  '07 is looking like it's going to be weak at this point with only Rakestraw...

All I know that we are talking mostly about the 2008 class.

That is why I say that Coach P has basically 3 months to turn about 7 high level prospects on to the ARK program.

You don't want to be in August, September, and October trying to get in on guys, because by then all the Big-Timers will have already committed or narrowed down there final list.

These 3 months of AAU events going on is critical.

If we come out with a strong list of guys that are high on the Hogs then things we be O.K.

501Ben

I think if get 3 good players, to go with Beverly, Welsh, and Washington the '08 class will be a success somewhat.

Realist

I'm really not liking Pelphrey as a recruiter right now, Warren has said contact him, he hasn't.    Same for others

bd93

Quote from: Realist on April 18, 2007, 06:04:44 pm
I'm really not liking Pelphrey as a recruiter right now, Warren has said contact him, he hasn't.    Same for others

How do you know that he hasn't?  Do you live in the same house as him?

lookawayquick

What's the latest on J Bush and Sanchez?  The addition of those two will make for a solid recruiting class.  Any other hidden gems out there?

slopinhogs

April 18, 2007, 09:46:18 pm #26 Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 10:00:42 pm by slopinhogs
coach Pelphry has a name guys it's called the arkansas razorbacks.

hope he visits anyway. the old salemans pitch is to be told no three times before you stick your foot in the door.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

HawgG

Quote from: 501Ben on April 18, 2007, 05:52:23 pm
I think if get 3 good players, to go with Beverly, Welsh, and Washington the '08 class will be a success somewhat.

We need more then 3 good players if we are going to successfully play the style promised to us and reach these new heights that some are guaranteeing will happen.

I also don't see Michael Washington playing past next season.

He has the talent to be a NBA 1st rounder and I just don't know how long he will be able to hang in the classrooms.

hawgtime

how many are available for this next year?  we lost cranford, the backup PG (name?), hunter?, who else?

we had two available prior to that?

does taht make 5 for this year? and then 7 next year?

i am confused. someone please fill me in on the situation. 

Whom besides rakestraw are we getting this year?

Bomis Hawg

Rakestraw has one.  One left before transfers that was going to Bush, but he is still needs ACT points.
He's not a lock to keep his commit, though.
Cranford and McCurdy left.  As far as I know, Hunter is still on campus.
That makes 3 left. 

Harrisonhogfan

According to Rivals Jordans son Jeffery hasn't committed yet!!! Just a thought!

hawgsav1

The jury is still out on Pelphrey's recruiting.  He still has to move in his house and move himself around from South Alabama over here.  It's late in he recruiting season to find someone right now.  Hopefully he'll be able o go out next year and do it.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

lookawayquick

Can't wait til next year.  Gotta have 3 this year.  Have 7 to fill next year.  Rakestraw takes one, so Coach Pel has to beat the bushes to fill the final two spots with quality players.  It is late, but it can be done.  And, I am confident it will be done.  Hog Hoops still rock.  Go get em Coach Pel!

Brewerfan10

FYI McCurdy isn't gonna leave, he has been working out with the team all week

bd93

Quote from: Brewerfan10 on April 19, 2007, 09:38:06 pm

I thought he asked for his realese?

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: Brewerfan10 on April 19, 2007, 09:38:06 pm

If true, I think it would help us tremendously.
We bad need depth at the guard position. SM will never be an all star but he can be a role player.

Bomis Hawg

Michael Jordan's son, the one who is a senior, was supposed to have offers from only smaller colleges.  Not sure how true that is.

I watched one of his games.  Didn't seem like a huge recruit.  The Gordon kid who commited to Indiana, I think, that is a big time recruit (Gordon is his last name) played very well.  Jordan's younger son is supposed to be the better of the two.

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: lookawayquick on April 18, 2007, 07:48:02 pm
What's the latest on J Bush and Sanchez?  The addition of those two will make for a solid recruiting class.  Any other hidden gems out there?

wondering the same thing

Soooie21

What would it hurt to to talk with the new coach...pretty sorry if you ask me..

slopinhogs

whatever is next with coach p I'll bet he keeps it close to his chest til it's over then will tell about it .no since bragging til you are sure , no forseeing is ever accurate. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

justonefan

Quote from: jhudson84 on April 18, 2007, 11:17:40 am
Would change all that if JP can somehow talk Dickey into coming over to the hill.

No huggers Im not talking about Houston's brother.

No way!  Never did care for Dickey.  Always seemed like whiney mamma's  boy to me.