Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All thoughts on Billy Gillispie and his hiring at Kentucky here only please!

Started by RD, April 05, 2007, 11:17:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorNick

Quote from: ozmeisterd on April 06, 2007, 11:59:03 am
BG is officially the Kentucky coach we need to kick the you know what out of them now.

2.3 mil  per for seven years

ArchitectHog

Games don't make people violent, lag does.
Quote from: KEYS on October 07, 2009, 10:45:57 am
The Hogs should play every HOME game in Little Rock just as soon as the campus is moved there... hence the meaning of "home."
Quote from: DEVICEHIGH on August 13, 2010, 08:47:52 am
We can no longer afford to play in Little Rock. The university is in Fayetteville.

HogBaptist

7 years, $2,300,000.00

look at all those zeros

chrismo

you cant be serious? he is? bcg to kentucky??? absolutely breaking news.........................................................

jrw

to all the rude,arrogant A & M posters who sullied our baords the last 2 weeks.....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :razorback:

KVHog

and we're still left looking.....Thanks UA admin.

3kgthog

Insane. $2.3 million for a guy that's never made the Elite 8. At least they had the balls to pony up. Too bad we don't.

Since 1894

The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

SexyBeast77

Can you not READ retard, the all Gillispie to Kentucky posts here

ozmeisterd

Quote from: SexyBeast77 on April 06, 2007, 12:08:31 pm
Can you not READ retard, the all Gillispie to Kentucky posts here

Didn't realize the hogville police were here.  Sorry!!!!!

ozmeisterd

Quote from: jrw on April 06, 2007, 12:01:40 pm
to all the rude,arrogant A & M posters who sullied our baords the last 2 weeks.....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :razorback:

That is really funny!!!!!

Arkansas_UK_fan

April 06, 2007, 12:12:57 pm #161 Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 12:23:05 pm by Arkansas_UK_fan
Quote from: cselby72 on April 06, 2007, 10:10:57 am
We have to start beating them again before we can renew the rivalry!
That and there would actually have to be a rivalry first.... UK fights with UF and LSU (when they were good). Also, MSU is the team for UK to beat most of the time anyways.....

RazorNick

Winner

totally overpaid.  but he will succeed.  and a&m will slip back into basketball oblivion where they belong. 

unclebuck

... The next former Kentucky coach (when he cannot satisfy Wildcat Nation)
There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you -- Woody Hayes

dfuller81

"From what is going on in Arkansas with the civil war taking place among its alums and AD, and with the academic defections rumored, A&M is by far a better position in this job market today than Arkansas."

http://www.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=852736&forum_id=7

Arkiebrian

Hog10S

Forget the history. All that needs to be said is "Ashley Judd" comes to all the home games.

3kgthog

Sentinel

Well now that everything has finally shaken out I can see that Gillespie was never really planning to stay in Aggieland, and probably was planning on making the jump to Arkansas.  The only thing that screwed things up for you folks was that Tubby left UK for Minnesota.  If that had not happened, IMO, Gillespie would be in UA right now.

Gillespie never had any loyalty whatsoever to TAMU, rather, he was only concerned about advancing his own career and that is better accomplished in the SEC rather than the Big XII.  So the Big XII loses (BCG and Sutton leaving) and the SEC gets that much stronger.

Good luck on your continued search, be interesting to see when all the dust settles which University gets what coach, and which organization got the better deal.

jbcarol

Billy G. handled himself well in his first press conference. 

He did answer the Horse Racing and betting questions.

Hogville.net never told me about the multiple DUI's.

His last answer was classic. 

Fred Cowgill (WAVG-TV):  "How do you feel being the second choice?"

Billy G.:  "Was I the second choice?  I would be happy being the 7th or 8th choice and get this job..."   Standing O by the press.

Another Q:  "Tell us about the process with the Search Firm.  Were your people contacted in advance of the last 24 hours?"

Billy G.:  "I'm just a dumb ol' country boy.  I don't have people.  I like to talk to you directly 'bout these things that will affect the rest of my life..."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

April 06, 2007, 12:38:29 pm #171 Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 01:07:05 pm by jbcarol
Kentucky's biggest rivalry is Louisville. 

Their tradition rival is the team that has the most wins against them and the most losses against them, Tennessee.

Florida is the new rival (KY hasn't kept up in the last 2+ years.  KY owned Donovan's teams in the few years prior).

Arkansas will always fill the corner rafters at Rupp.  You can never forget this team that knocked your block off in '92 and '94 at home.

The SEC and Louisville (Denny Crum) is filled with HC's who had the upper hand for a time and ended their career in bitter defeat after trash talking UK.

(I forgot Indiana (year-by-year, Utah (in the tourney), and Duke).
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

MajorLance

I notice that aTm  did'nt ignore UKs phone calls like they did UAs phone calls regarding contacting BG.  I notice that West Virginia has already filled their vacancy....(Creighton has too)...and I have a bad feeling that aTm & Kansas State will have their vacancies filled (probably with decent coaches) while we watch in astonishment at the clowns, monkeys, and bearded ladies make occasional reference (between acts) to their coaching-search firm.  When they bring in the dancing bears on their unicycles we will be told that "a quality coach" will be on the way "soon."

Popcorn anyone? How 'bout a coke?
People are strange when you're a stranger...

jbcarol

I forgot, From Billy G.'s presser:

Jerry Tipton (Lex. H-L, again):  "Tubby Smith left averaging 26+ wins a year, a national title and several elite eights.  How do you feel about being second guessed?"

Billy G.:  "Did I mention that I was married at one time?"

Table Rocker

Quote from: MajorLance on April 06, 2007, 12:38:55 pm
I notice that aTm  did'nt ignore UKs phone calls like they did UAs phone calls regarding contacting BG.  I notice that West Virginia has already filled their vacancy....(Creighton has too)...and I have a bad feeling that aTm & Kansas State will have their vacancies filled (probably with decent coaches) while we watch in astonishment at the clowns, monkeys, and bearded ladies make occasional reference (between acts) to their coaching-search firm.  When they bring in the dancing bears on their unicycles we will be told that "a quality coach" will be on the way "soon."

Huggins was WV alum, Creighton didn't even have time to call coaches before their's crawled back home, K-St. and aTm will both settle, they won't throw ridiculous money at someone. the jury is still out on this for me, i'll make a decision when our hire is announced.

MajorLance

and yes, being a teacher & old Lit grad, I notice my poor grammar and call myself on it..i.e. "making occasional references" as opposed to "make occasional reference..."
People are strange when you're a stranger...

Arkiebrian

A&M had no reason to hold the line from Kentucky...when Arkansas was trying to talk to him their board members were about to meet.  The AD thought he could delay until after that meeting.

JimBoT

Table Rocker you make more sense than just about anyone I have read on any issue on this site. Thanks for some good common sense posting.

catfanNar

Anyone who got to watch that press conference would believe he is gonna get us back to the promised land soon!

OrvilleRedenporker

Also gang Mitch Barnhardt, UK Dir of Athletics, used to work for Bill Byrne, AD at A&M when they were at Nebraska and or Oregon.  They and BCG have been aware all along that BCG would have a legit shot at KY job if Donovan turned it down.  The bottom line is, if Tubby had stayed at KY BCG would have already been our head man.

jbcarol

It's snowing here right now on Good Friday but I'm feeling warm and fuzzy.

jbcarol

Quote from: catfanNar on April 06, 2007, 12:45:24 pm
Anyone who got to watch that press conference would believe he is gonna get us back to the promised land soon!

Ravi Moss, best walk-on to ever lace 'em up.

Hogs-n-Roses

Our Athletic department and AD in general haven't fostered the good relationships that others have with professionalism and integrity. Its like an eye for an eye kind of thing. Go ask people like Tommy Tubberville, Jimmy Johnson, Lou Holtz, Ken Hatfield just how professional our PTB really are.

jbcarol

Quote from: rcthompson76 on April 06, 2007, 10:49:46 am
Now that BCG has been hired by UK, and the dust has settled a bit, it's obvious that:

a. BCG wasn't as fully dedicated to aTm as they thought;

b. BCG wasn't as through and through Texas as everyone thought; and

c.  He simply was trying to get the best job he could.

You can't blame him for that.  Who among us would have done differently.  We may not like it, but almost anyone would take UK over UofA any day, anytime, anywhere.  Just the reality of the situation.  If we hadn't faced the "hurry and get this over with 'cause I have to get to the Masters" barrier, we probably could have come out this thing with a decent coach in a reasonable amount of time without the national embarrassment.  So we'll live with it, move on and find someone to get us jump started again.  Obsessing about it will get us nowhere, except into "depressionville", and who wants that.   And I've said before and I'll say it again-   We need to find an AD first and then worry about the BB coach, because in any triage situation you deal with the most immediate, acute problem first, then move on.   And our athletic dept is definitely in triage mode.

:razorback:  :razorback:  :razorback:  :razorback:

How does your brother feel about making it to the Final Four this year?

Was never a big fan (can't get '84 out of my mind) but that is a great story.

75_zebra

Quote from: Table Rocker on April 06, 2007, 12:42:31 pm

Huggins was WV alum, Creighton didn't even have time to call coaches before their's crawled back home, K-St. and aTm will both settle, they won't throw ridiculous money at someone. the jury is still out on this for me, i'll make a decision when our hire is announced.

I think the point was that even when we do find someone willing to come here, it will still have been a circus.

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on April 06, 2007, 10:05:10 am
Most big college coaches don't make lateral moves MY BUTT!!
Far from a lateral move, and it wouldn't have been a lateral move for him to come here either.  We may have gotten him if Donovan hadn't stayed in FL.  KY was BCG's fist choice.  Who knows what would have happened if they had gotten one of their top choices instead of BCG.

Hog in MO

As i saw on this board once before - A$M's b'ball program will now disappear like a fart in the wind.  It was a two year blip on the radar, that is all.  They got lucky with a good, young coach who left the first opportunity he had.  Don't look for them to be able lure anyone away from a decent program.  They will just have to hope they get lucky again.  The Aggies will go watch spring football practice and forget they ever had a basketball team.

K-State latched on to a good coach who had fallen from grace.  He did his penance in purgatory and is now going back to a decent job.  Don't expect them to be raidning anyone's cookie jar for a good coach either.  And don't expect either of the recruiting classes (A&M or K-State) to stay intact. 

Bigfoot

Quote from: catfanNar on April 06, 2007, 12:45:24 pm
i agree. kentucky has one helluva coach in billy gillispie!! im a big fan of him! kentucky is right back on top again, just that quick! i wish the hogs could've got billy gillispie. but we will see plenty of him now! congrats to kentucky on landing probably the best coach in the country in my opinion.

jbcarol

Quote from: PeytonManningSUCKS on April 06, 2007, 01:00:17 pm
Quote from: AFWarrior83 on April 06, 2007, 10:05:10 am
Most big college coaches don't make lateral moves MY BUTT!!
Far from a lateral move, and it wouldn't have been a lateral move for him to come here either.  We may have gotten him if Donovan hadn't stayed in FL.  KY was BCG's fist choice.  Who knows what would have happened if they had gotten one of their top choices instead of BCG.

I've come around.  I like this BCG because he wants to be at UK.  So bad on the first question he (apparently) told the people what they wanted to hear and said he would run classic Pitino "D" at UK.  The SEC is taking it up a notch.

75_zebra

Quote from: Hog in MO on April 06, 2007, 01:01:16 pm
As i saw on this board once before - A$M's b'ball program will now disappear like a fart in the wind.  It was a two year blip on the radar, that is all.  They got lucky with a good, young coach who left the first opportunity he had.  Don't look for them to be able lure anyone away from a decent program.  They will just have to hope they get lucky again.  The Aggies will go watch spring football practice and forget they ever had a basketball team.

K-State latched on to a good coach who had fallen from grace.  He did his penance in purgatory and is now going back to a decent job.  Don't expect them to be raidning anyone's cookie jar for a good coach either.  And don't expect either of the recruiting classes (A&M or K-State) to stay intact. 

Thanks.  I feel much better about the UA situation now.

Erockster20

Lets face it, we probably did have BG wrapped up and then UK came open and he said whoo wait a minute.  Maybe we didn't screw up as bad as we thought, maybe BG is just a slime bag who back out on us kind of like DA. 

Any thoughts?

HogFan1st

i still don't think heath was ever gonna get it done...but i think we may have dodged a bullet when BCG decided to stay put (and wait for UK)...he wouldn't have coached at UA for long...unfortunately we are in a pretty bad situation now...hopefully we can rebound
76-72...i remember it like it was yesterday...Charlotte, NC 1994

ksrazorback

Kentucky has announced it will hold "a pep rally and a press conference" Friday afternoon at 12:45 p.m. ET to announce the hiring of the program's 21st head coach. And Texas A&M coach Billy Gillispie is the man the Wildcats will introduce to Big Blue Nation as Tubby Smith's replacement.

The rest of the story...
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2827764&campaign=rss&source=NCAAHeadlines
Razorbacks:
"I think they like the fact that we're going to play a little bit more physical style of football, play downhill, put on your big boy pants and love to play the game with physicality."

Southern Wisdom ~ 42.7 Percent of all statistics are made up on the spot!!
Go Deep Go Razorbacks...

The Hog Blogger

Last night called.  It wants its story back.

Lokirain

It's like watching the football captain make out with your girlfriend.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Table Rocker

Quote from: ksrazorback on April 06, 2007, 01:44:43 pm
Kentucky has announced it will hold "a pep rally and a press conference" Friday afternoon at 12:45 p.m. ET to announce the hiring of the program's 21st head coach. And Texas A&M coach Billy Gillispie is the man the Wildcats will introduce to Big Blue Nation as Tubby Smith's replacement.

The rest of the story...
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2827764&campaign=rss&source=NCAAHeadlines

do you live in the pacific ocean or something? perhaps you are 8 hours behind us...just say you are, so we don't laugh at you

ksrazorback

Sorry you are correct... I live in the past!!
Razorbacks:
"I think they like the fact that we're going to play a little bit more physical style of football, play downhill, put on your big boy pants and love to play the game with physicality."

Southern Wisdom ~ 42.7 Percent of all statistics are made up on the spot!!
Go Deep Go Razorbacks...

judgeroyswine

Who cares about that?  Didn't you know Dana Altman is our new coach! 
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.