Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Caller on Southern Sports Tonight out of the Fl. Panhandle.....

Started by RumRunner, April 05, 2007, 04:58:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RumRunner

I didn't catch the first part of this but the gist was that the caller was possibly a former player (w/ Holtz) and current booster, stated that if Mustain leaves, Nutt is definitely gone!!!  He mentioned this was per a BOT member and other powerful boosters (i.e. Billy Ray Smith mentioned by name).  It was a rather long call and he went into a few details about JFB and how he ran the program going all the way back to Sutton and Holtz.  He definitely was not pleased how Holtz was handled.  Take it for what you will.

Also, the FOI issue was one of the top stories leading off this program down here!!!

pioneerbasketball

mikeirwin

What kind of story is that ?
Nutt is gone if Mustain leaves ?
MUSTAIN LEFT, ALMOST 3 MONTHS AGO.
Nutt is still here.
Billy Ray Smith a powerful booster ?  ???

joshUARK

I could have sworn MM was still a student at the U of A. Did that change?

RumRunner

The host is waiting on a call from one of his newspaper buddies in NWA to talk about the situation.

CCU Cougar

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 05, 2007, 05:07:26 pm
Nutt is still here.
That's what I was wondering about... I hadnt heard any news about Mustain coming "back like Jordan... wearing the 45..."

CCU Cougar

Quote from: joshUARK on April 05, 2007, 05:08:22 pm
A buddy of mine had Film Lecture with him today. He's still enrolled, but not working out

mikeirwin

Unless you've been living in a cave you should know that Mustain being a student at the U of A has nothing to do with him being on the football team.
They'd have to fire virtually everybody on the football staff and in the Broyles Center plus the chancellor for Mitch to come back.
It's not going to happen.

RumRunner

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 05, 2007, 05:07:26 pm
Nutt is still here.

Mike, I'm just relaying what the caller stated.  I did say take it for what its worth.

I'm down here and trying to relate what the bleed over is.  I didn't catch the first part of the convo.  He was listing a few names, some he would not give out (BOT member).  Billy Ray stuck out to me because I knew who he was.

He said that while Mitch is not with the team, he his still in school.  Stated that there is a strong movement to keep him at the University.  The show is out of Fl. but it has a long reach and is streamed over the net.  I don't know where he called out of.

joshUARK

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 05, 2007, 05:11:30 pm
Unless you've been living in a cave you should know that Mustain being a student at the U of A has nothing to do with him being on the football team.
They'd have to fire virtually everybody on the football staff and in the Broyles Center plus the chancellor for Mitch to come back.

Just pointing out that you said he was gone, and he's not. Do I think he's going to return to the team? No. But he's still a student at the U of A. I'm willing to bet Nutt's removal would ease some pain. Regardless, since the NWA media (yourself included) hasn't commented (that I'm aware of) on the FOI request information, looking to a FL station is about our only option. I'll take what I can get. Thanks, OP.

Idahog

So you're saying theres a chance?  (+1 if you know what movie thats from btw)
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

RumRunner

As far as, not knowing what's going on.

I live in the heart of Bama, Gator and Auburn territory.  I catch hell everyday about what's going on.

:o

HoopS

Quote from: Idahog on April 05, 2007, 05:20:55 pm

Dumb and Dumber

CCU Cougar

Dumb and Dumber

pioneerbasketball

Dumb and Dumber

Hawgballz

Quote from: JoeDaddyHog on April 05, 2007, 04:58:01 pm
I didn't catch the first part of this but the gist was that the caller was possibly a former player (w/ Holtz) and current booster, stated that if Mustain leaves, Nutt is definitely gone!!!  He mentioned this was per a BOT member and other powerful boosters (i.e. Billy Ray Smith mentioned by name).  It was a rather long call and he went into a few details about JFB and how he ran the program going all the way back to Sutton and Holtz.  He definitely was not pleased how Holtz was handled.  Take it for what you will.

Also, the FOI issue was one of the top stories leading off this program down here!!!

I will take it for what it is worth (.02 cents).
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

mikeirwin

There is no strong movement to keep him in school.
Mitch Mustain may be the only national high school player of the year to be treated like complete garbage from a part of the fan base, most of his coaches and many of his teammates.
The kid has been ripped on this board from the day speculation began that he might consider other schools. After the decommitment it got worse.
When he recommitted there was a brief honeymoon period but almost immediately after being named the starter some fans were posting here about how horrible he was and how he needed to be benched.
He was 7-0 as a starter ( games in which HDN's butt was saved) and yet he was dumped after one series of the South Carolina game and as Nolan Richardson put it, it was "cold turkey" after that.
He had a code red pulled on him by some senior teammates.
He wore shoes that didn't fit his feet, a set of shoulder pads that rubbed the nastiest looking blister on his upper arm I've ever seen (he still has a scar from it) and a jersey that was so tight he had to throw the ball side armed.
Virtually every promise that was made to him during recruiting was canned.
The original coach who recruited him was fired.
The next coach who recruited him was run off.
However....
He took one trip to USC.
They rolled out the red carpet.
Pete Carroll offered him an open scholarship good until this August.
Carroll had dinner with him (HDN never even made an in home visit).
Damian Williams told him, NOBODY GIVES YOU GRIEF ON THIS TEAM FOR BEING A 5 STAR STUD BECAUSE EVERYBODY ON THIS TEAM WAS A 5 STAR STUD.

This is a story that most people outside this state would not believe.

cityhog

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 05, 2007, 05:32:45 pm
Mitch Mustain may be the only national high school player of the year to be treated like complete garbage from a part of the fan base, most of his coaches and many of his teammates.
The kid has been ripped on this board from the day speculation began that he might consider other schools. After the decommittment it got worse.
When he recommitted there was a brief honeymoon period but almost immediately after being named the starter some fans were posting here about how horrible he was and how he needed to be benched.
He was 7-0 as a starter ( games in which HDN's butt was saved) and yet he was dumped after one series of the South Carolina game and as Nolan Richardson put it, it was "cold turkey" after that.
He wore shoes that didn't fit his feet, a set of shoulder pads that rubbed the nastiest looking blister on his upper arm I've ever seen (he still has a scar from it) and a jersey that was so tight he had to throw the ball side armed.
Virturally every promise that was made to him during recruiting was canned.
However....
He took one trip to USC.
Damian Williams told him, NOBODY GIVES YOU GRIEF ON THIS TEAM FOR BEING A 5 STAR STUD BECAUSE EVERYBODY ON THIS TEAM WAS A 5 STAR STUD.

Everyone of these reasons is why the MSM should be sent packing.

HoopS

The kid has been ripped on this board from the day speculation began that he might consider other schools. After the decommittment it got worse.
However....
He took one trip to USC.

yeah but...

absolutely perfect response. :razorback:

mbacker85

However....
He took one trip to USC.

Say what you want, but even though Mitch won 7 games, but half those games we barely won, and we won due to running, not Mitch's arm.  Mitch wont see any playing time at USC much less a major D1 school, the only way he will play would be at Tulsa.  How he got the Gatorade player of the year is still beyond me, I guess thats what happens when you have the "mercy" rule in Arkansas.  If Mitch would of been in school in Texas, he might of been a 3 star rating.  But what do I know, I'm not on TV.

hOUSTon NUTT

However....
He took one trip to USC.

Of course, most people outside the state can't believe that the SEC Coach of the Year is treated like crap by certain media and the fan base as well. 

And while M16 is a protected species on this board, which has rules against redundancy and excessive bashing, HDN gets slammed daily.

beenthere

I hope Mitch does go to SC. They actually practice passing there. If you will remember they had a quarterback that never started a game drafted in the 5th round and stuck.

mikeirwin

Quote from: mbacker85 on April 05, 2007, 05:42:47 pm
However....
He took one trip to USC.

Say what you want, but even though Mitch won 7 games, but half those games we barely won, and we won due to running, not Mitch's arm.  Mitch wont see any playing time at USC much less a major D1 school, the only way he will play would be at Tulsa.  How he got the Gatorade player of the year is still beyond me, I guess thats what happens when you have the "mercy" rule in Arkansas.  If Mitch would of been in school in Texas, he might of been a 3 star rating.  But what do I know, I'm not on TV.
Are you serious ?
He won EVERY poty HONOR.
Gatorade.
Parade Magazine.
USA Today.
Atlanta Touchdown Club.
His team was 3rd in the nation.
But of course since he/they were from Arkansas you can't figure out how this happened.
Thanks for proving my point.
Fans in his own home state think he's a 3 star while stupid Pete Carroll treats him like a 5 star.
Why would that kid ever want to play here ?

Brand X Hog Fan

The kid has been ripped on this board from the day speculation began that he might consider other schools. After the decommitment it got worse.
However....
He took one trip to USC.

I never knew about the arm blister. Every time I hear more of the story about Mitch, the story gets worse. Where is justice?
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Porkahontas

However....
He took one trip to USC.

This story is 100% correct.

Every bit of it.

Karma is a bitch and it's coming full circle right now on those responsible for what went on with Mitch, Gus, Damian, and the fan base in general for the better part of the past 2 years.

mikeirwin

Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on April 05, 2007, 05:42:47 pm

Of course, most people outside the state can't believe that the SEC Coach of the Year is treated like crap by certain media and the fan base as well. 

And while M16 is a protected species on this board, which has rules against redundancy and excessive bashing, HDN gets slammed daily.
Who is still here and who is gone ?
I'd say HDN gets treated quite well.
Nobody has managed run him off and he makes what 1.2 mil per year ?

bville_hog

That sounds like a good plan.  Let's do it!  Friday would be a good start.

THHAWG

How come Dick and Johnson aren't undefeated as starters?  They had the same surrounding cast as Mitch.  Sure Mitch didn't do anything incredible other than win.  Joe Montana never really did anything incredible either, but he sure won.

Some players, no matter what the circumstances, just make the plays that need to be made to win games.

Does anyone care thaqt Matt Jones played a horrible game prior to the Miracle on Markham?  He made the play needed to win the game.

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 05, 2007, 05:55:49 pm

Not yet, but you keep hustling, baby...someday you'll get what you want...

cadensdad

However....
He took one trip to USC.

U are also a hugger so i am guessing you dont know $h!t

joshUARK

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 05, 2007, 05:51:04 pm
Fans in his own home state think he's a 3 star while stupid Pete Carroll treats him like a 5 star.

Media in his own state avoid asking the tough questions or even discussing a nationally relevant story. Talk shows around the country are BEATING YOU to the story. Luckily, retirement is coming up for a lot of you guys. Maybe we can get someone with a pair up there.

joshUARK

Quote from: Tulsahontas on April 05, 2007, 05:55:49 pm

Then why hasn't there been a story on it? Surely Mike Irwin can do a piece about the mistreatment of Mitch Mustain. Or would that violate some code of ethics?

CalHog

However....
He took one trip to USC.

There is a lot more beyond you that you are not admitting to.

CalHog

Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on April 05, 2007, 05:58:53 pm
Quote from: mikeirwin on April 05, 2007, 05:55:49 pm

Not yet, but you keep hustling, baby...someday you'll get what you want...

Someday will not be soon enough.

mbacker85

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 05, 2007, 05:51:04 pm
However....
He took one trip to USC.

Are you serious ?
He won EVERY poty HONOR.
Gatorade.
Parade Magazine.
USA Today.
Atlanta Touchdown Club.
His team was 3rd in the nation.
But of course since he/they were from Arkansas you can't figure out how this happened.
Thanks for proving my point.

Of course he got every honor in the book while in high school, he had lineman who gave him all day to see down the field, Damian/Norman/Others who had speed to easily break free from defenders, the team was stacked.  Mitch shined due to the others around him. 

Of course Pete Carrol wants Mitch to come to USC, yes maybe he thinks Mitch is a good player, but I guarantee you he doesn't believe that Mitch is actually going to play, its always nice having a Gatorade national player as your 3rd string because you can. 

And if you could please show me some way that Mitch won all those 7-0 games by himself (because thats what you pretty much using as a crutch) I would be corrected.  But still having the flashback image of Mustain's throw to Monk vs. Auburn, where somehow in Gods name Monk reached out and caught that is still beyond me, and that was just one easy recollection of his bad throws.  To blame that on a "tight" jersey or "tight" shoes is ridiculous. 

I do agree with you in a lot of posts' Mike, so don't think that this is me trying to out-do you, I really just don't see Mustain as that caliber of a player that he was sparked up to be during the preseason or even during the season.

mbacker85

Quote from: cadensdad on April 05, 2007, 05:59:03 pm
However....
He took one trip to USC.

And in no way am I a hugger....

mikeirwin

Quote from: joshUARK on April 05, 2007, 06:01:08 pm

Then why hasn't there been a story on it? Surely Mike Irwin can do a piece about the mistreatment of Mitch Mustain. Or would that violate some code of ethics?
Every bit of that and more was detailed on Press Row. If you didn't hear it I can't do much about that.

silvertip

However....
He took one trip to USC.

So, Mike...uh...I guess you're saying MM is probably not coming back?  (j/k)

cityhog

boo hoo! poooor Nutt.  Puh-lease.  I wish I got a million dollar raise for doing my job.  poorly I might add.

Alt-F4

However....
He took one trip to USC.

WOW!

Everything that happens to Nutt with the FOI phone records is deserved.  To allow this to happen is inexcusable and ANYONE that would allow their child to play for this man needs to be shown Mike's post.

:puke: Houston Nutt
I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?" "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet. You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was all true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach. He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

RumRunner

Mitch may have not been why we won (football is truely a team effort), but he is definately not the reason why we lost.  Can't argue that one.   :P

The Hawg Marshal

Well I don't think "your" SEC coy is all that you huggers "spark" him up to be either.

Chad In Real Life

However....
He took one trip to USC.

How did we win at Vandy?  Oh yeah,  by passing.
Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless.

RedyorNot

Mitch probably will develop into a solid quarterback, but he was way in over his head this year and it showed.

As far as the shoes, pads and jersey, are you kidding me? As a former player, shoes are the easiest thing in the world to get your hands on, and the pads/jersey thing doesn't compute. Has everyone else in the program suffered too?

ocelot_ark

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 05, 2007, 06:06:59 pm
Quote from: joshUARK on April 05, 2007, 06:01:08 pm

Every bit of that and more was detailed on Press Row. If you didn't hear it I can't do much about that.

And how about those of us who don't have access to Press Row? I'm out of state...Wouldn't television and/or print media give Mustain his day in the court of public opinion? All I've seen were things that made him look like a perpetrator, not a victim.

Teebow62

listening to Rick and that goober from central Arkansas. "Be careful about accusations." Rick kept telling a caller. Accusations? Accusations? Nutt was shackin or snackin with DB and that's that. His story is the allegation. And is anyone more of a candy ass that Orville's son? Jesus H. he's pathetic.

Hog Scratch Fever

However....
He took one trip to USC.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!  Mike, though your post makes many unrefutable points in my opinion, I think the sad thing is, you have only scratched the surface!  You could do a 3 page post of all of the crap that has happened in the last year and probably not even get to the emails and text messages!  How is HDN still here?????!!!!!!  I have tried soooooooo hard to be balanced on this deal by checking out other boards that are pro Nutt and by giving him the benefit of the doubt on a lot of things, but this is ridiculous!  He needs to go.  I don't wish any ill will on him and even if he has strayed from his wife, I believe in forgiveness and restoration of his life and family, but he needs to move on now for the good of the program and the good of his family.
"It got a little nippy through the pass!"

Alt-F4

<edit>

Weird double post happened.
I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?" "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet. You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was all true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach. He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

CDubyaP

Mike,

Sometimes you just have to throw your hands up and say.....well the word you can't say. :)

This whole administration is completely "franked" up from the rooter to the tooter.

PigPusher

Quote from: mbacker85 on April 05, 2007, 06:06:23 pm
Quote from: cadensdad on April 05, 2007, 05:59:03 pm
However....
He took one trip to USC.

And in no way am I a hugger....

And the question remains just what would it take for you to become an openly enthusiastic fan. Its obvious you can't do much with a five star quarterback that was and is a freshman for Gods sake. What will it take? Say?  Too many so called experts on this board.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.