Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Got an offer to attend Army Instructor Pilot Course

Started by Ragnar Hogbrok, March 01, 2013, 03:33:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Should I go?

Yes.
No.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Ok, here's the deal.  I got an offer to attend the U.S. Army Instructor Pilot Course for the AH-64D.  I'm already an Aviation Safety Officer, but this would increase my resume.

I will redeploy early from Afghanistan in order to attend, so I'll be missing about $7000 in deployment cash.

Do you believe it is worth it?  I love to teach as a pilot-in-command, but the IP society for the AH-64D is pretty petty.  Of course, I'd attempt to change the culture, but it's been deeply rooted to this block of people since the beginning of time.  I'm more of a Peter Gibbons from "Office Space" while AH-64 IP's are anal retentive, beat you down for bothering them, knuckle-dragging cavemen.  It may be a bit of a culture-clash.

Anyways, what say you?
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

tweet pilot

gotyacovered

i said no... but consider the following:

-i am civilian and have no idea what i am talking about
-not sure what it cost you from a time standpoint, but it seems like it would be hard to make it cost beneficial to give up the $7k AND cost you extra time
-helo's are about as cool as it gets, but it may not pay off in the future (i dont know)

the biggest positive seems to be the additional training you will get, but will that pay off in the long run?

either way you go, best of luck. those things are freaking awesome. got to each lunch with a few of the pilots when i was in Tunica a couple mosnths ago, intimidating bird...
You are what you tolerate.

GusMcRae

I believe the military pilots on here would be able to give you more sound advice than me on this topic.  However, I'll chime in and say that even if you plan to be make a full blown career out of your military service and retire, you could still retire at a very young age with lots of civillian avaition opportunities at your fingertips upon retirement.

That being said, if I were you, and knowing how expensive it is to gain any sort of ratings, I would be jumping at the chance to broaden my knowledge on Uncle Sam's dime while I had the chance, thus feathering your own nest after leaving the nest you're in now.   

I'm a bit unclear as to exactly what you will be gaining and what you are already trained to do.  But as far as the rotorcraft future, here's an interesting article off of AOPA that would be encouraging to me if I were a helicopter pilot:

http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articles/2013/130226analyst-forecast-sees-bright-future-rotorcraft.html?CMP=MoreNews:2

That's my $.02. 
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

rnclittlerock

You gonna fly after you get out or are you staying in?

If option 1 would being a military instructor in any way affect your prospects as a civilian applicant?

Ragnar Hogbrok

I may want to fly GA, but not necessarily for a living.  However, I'm not closed to the idea.  I intend on getting all of my fixed wing ratings as well...as soon as the Army lets me go to that school.

I think I'm going to do it.  I mean, why not?  The $7000 deployment cash will be easily made up if it prolongs my Army career.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

gotyacovered

Quote from: Nate(wocraig)Craig on March 02, 2013, 01:15:17 amThe $7000 deployment cash will be easily made up if it prolongs my Army career.

Put this way, I think it's a 'no brainer'

rnclittlerock

Quote from: Nate(wocraig)Craig on March 02, 2013, 01:15:17 am
I may want to fly GA, but not necessarily for a living.  However, I'm not closed to the idea.  I intend on getting all of my fixed wing ratings as well...as soon as the Army lets me go to that school.

I think I'm going to do it.  I mean, why not?  The $7000 deployment cash will be easily made up if it prolongs my Army career.

There's almost as many helos flying oil rig workers around south LA as there are mosquitoes biting them.

If having a military instructor rating helps your prospects in the civilian world I'd do it.

I don't have any military experience to compare but I do have a decade more "civilian life" experience, and I can tell you that those who have a well paying plan B that they can always fall back on wind up a lot better off than those who HAVE TO work at whatever they work at.

Flying Razorback

I loved my time as an Air Force instructor pilot and am looking forward to getting the hours in my new airframe to do it again.  In the AF you have to show progression to keep your career going so we are almost required to become IPs.

The other thing that can weigh your decision is the fact you can get your civilian ratings for free if you are a military instructor.  You just take an instructor equivalance exam.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

pigture perfect

Would you be stationed in Ft. Rucker? My favorite duty station by the way. Ill pray wisdom for you. Proud of you Nate.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

AR_dustoff

Quote from: Nate(wocraig)Craig on March 02, 2013, 01:15:17 am

Go to IPC.  The CPB/FBI/DEA jobs waiting on the outside would like to have that box checked...

Ragnar Hogbrok

Just an update.  I am enrolled for the AH-64D Instructor Pilot course which starts in April.

Thanks for all of the advice and input.

gotyacovered

Quote from: The Chief on February 12, 2015, 03:14:05 pm
Just an update.  I am enrolled for the AH-64D Instructor Pilot course which starts in April.

great move in my opinion! keep us posted!

PEtrader

Congrats!
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

AR_dustoff

Haven't been on here in a while, I 'm glad you went.  I finished my second IPC in May.  Now go to http://www.sheppardair.com/milcomp.htm and buy the prep for the MCI.  I studied for less than 2 hours, went and took the test, made a 90.  Then go see the FSDO for about 30 minutes with your 1059, 7120, 7122, Graduation Certificate, and -759 and you'll be a freshly minted CFI/CFII. 

Ragnar Hogbrok

I never updated the thread, but I graduated as an AH-64D Instructor Pilot in July of 2015.

I also just passed my Annual Proficiency and Readiness Test (APART), Annual Night Vision Goggle Evaluation, and Instrument Evaluation on Friday evening in 4.4 hours.  It was my first annual set of evaluations as an instructor pilot.  I was smoked after it was over.

bvillepig

Flying Razorback

Quote from: The Chief on February 29, 2016, 06:02:12 pm
I never updated the thread, but I graduated as an AH-64D Instructor Pilot in July of 2015.

I also just passed my Annual Proficiency and Readiness Test (APART), Annual Night Vision Goggle Evaluation, and Instrument Evaluation on Friday evening in 4.4 hours.  It was my first annual set of evaluations as an instructor pilot.  I was smoked after it was over.

Outstanding!  Keep up the great work!
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

vol_in_ar

congrats, now head to Ft Campbell and the Task Force.....
"death waits in the dark"

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: vol_in_ar on February 29, 2016, 07:04:57 pm
congrats, now head to Ft Campbell and the Task Force.....
"death waits in the dark"

I honestly have no interest in 160th.  I've worked with them, planned with them, and lived with them for several months worth of deployment.  I don't want to be stuck flying the big bus and I'm too old and worn out to go through selection (or at least I feel that way).

I'm hoping to go back to Hunter Army Airfield.  There are two attack battalions there now and I own a house there.  Sorry I'm rambling.  I'm range OIC at the aerial gunnery complex and kind of bored.

pigture perfect

I'm proud of you Chief. Prayed for you and your family often.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

gotyacovered

thanks for coming back and updating. awesome and congrats.

vol_in_ar

Quote from: The Chief on February 29, 2016, 07:56:13 pm
I honestly have no interest in 160th.  I've worked with them, planned with them, and lived with them for several months worth of deployment.  I don't want to be stuck flying the big bus and I'm too old and worn out to go through selection (or at least I feel that way).

I'm hoping to go back to Hunter Army Airfield.  There are two attack battalions there now and I own a house there.  Sorry I'm rambling.  I'm range OIC at the aerial gunnery complex and kind of bored.

hey, you've got a great gig
Thanks for your service, hope you make it Savannah