Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

VALSPAR CHAMPIONSHIP

Started by kingofdequeen, March 07, 2018, 07:36:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kingofdequeen

our hero goes off at noon 46 eastern standard time with jordan spieth and henrik stenson. 

i got stenson and i'm giving 1 and 2 to jordan and eldick, respectively.

I'll take Stenson for the wire to wire win.   Tiger makes cut. top 20.

ricepig

AC seemed to think the crowds were because he was coming back from a two week vacation, could have been something else......

https://twitter.com/austincookgolf/status/971181269970235392

His caddy Kip Henley is a good follow, pretty funny.

@KipHenley

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on March 07, 2018, 08:22:30 am
AC seemed to think the crowds were because he was coming back from a two week vacation, could have been something else......

https://twitter.com/austincookgolf/status/971181269970235392

His caddy Kip Henley is a good follow, pretty funny.

@KipHenley

If he putts like that, it'll be a short week for him.

Is the Barn Rat in the field this week?  If he is, he's my pick.

Garrigus, you're dead to me.  Dead.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

GolfNut57

WTH is wrong with Spieth these days? I just watched him blow an easy 3 foot par put to go +5 over after 13 holes in the first round. He hasn't been worth a crap lately that I have seen. Has he changed swing coaches, or his caddy or what?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Boarcephus

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 08, 2018, 03:25:18 pm
WTH is wrong with Spieth these days? I just watched him blow an easy 3 foot par put to go +5 over after 13 holes in the first round. He hasn't been worth a crap lately that I have seen. Has he changed swing coaches, or his caddy or what?

Sounds like Rory. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 08, 2018, 04:37:04 pm
Sounds like Rory. 

Yep. 

Spieth's success had been built on incredible putting, some of the most outrageous displays anyone has ever seen.  Rory can overpower a course, but Jordan needs to put well to separate himself.

MikePiazza

They're shook that Big Cat is back.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

hogbud

Boarcephus

I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

RagingHawgOn

el Tigre's 5 iron on 17....... 8)

Boarcephus

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 08, 2018, 08:08:36 pm
Yep. 

Spieth's success had been built on incredible putting, some of the most outrageous displays anyone has ever seen.  Rory can overpower a course, but Jordan needs to put well to separate himself.

There was that year Jordan could not miss a putt and it just wasn't the putts. When he got in trouble not only did he just get out of it, he got out of it well.

Rory on the other hand, just makes you scratch your head.  I have never seen a pro golfer hit as many poor second shots from position A in the fairway than him.  There is not such thing as a sure two putt from anywhere when he has the putter in hand and so far this year, his card has doubles and triples sprinkled every round it seems. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 09, 2018, 08:09:25 am
There was that year Jordan could not miss a putt and it just wasn't the putts. When he got in trouble not only did he just get out of it, he got out of it well.

Rory on the other hand, just makes you scratch your head.  I have never seen a pro golfer hit as many poor second shots from position A in the fairway than him.  There is not such thing as a sure two putt from anywhere when he has the putter in hand and so far this year, his card has doubles and triples sprinkled every round it seems. 

I've never seen a great player...and I would say four majors qualifies him as great...who misses as many putts inside six feet.  When Rory isn't on one of his hot streaks he is a downright awful putter.

onebadrubi

I think Rory and Jordan don't have the competitive fire of a jack or tiger.   Tiger has his dad pushing him hard too at their ages.  They had early success, are top golfers in the world, and can turn it on when they want too, so they are enjoying life more than maybe a tiger did at that age. 

That's my opinion. 

kingofdequeen

GolfNut57

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 09, 2018, 08:52:25 am
I think Rory and Jordan don't have the competitive fire of a jack or tiger.   Tiger has his dad pushing him hard too at their ages.  They had early success, are top golfers in the world, and can turn it on when they want too, so they are enjoying life more than maybe a tiger did at that age. 

That's my opinion.

This is just my opinion and of course it is just speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if Woods father used the racial angle to help inspire Tiger. Probably preached to him at a young age that he had to show "Whitey" how good he was going to be at the game. But as I said...that is just pure speculation.

Rory and Jordan have no such basis for inspiration to be the very best.

and of course I won't be surprised if my "speculation" ruffles a few feathers on here.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

hawgon

Spieth can be counted on to win a few times a year and he can be counted on to be there in the majors.  Otherwise, he is sort of streaky.  And frankly, I think he plans it that way.  I think he tries to peak four times a year and everything else is sort of in preparation for that.  He isn't good enough to win with his C game most of the time but his A game is as good or better than anyone's.

GolfNut57

Somebody told me yesterday that they think Spieth should just take a break from the game and lay off for about a month.

hawgon

After he got through that initial period where he shocked the golfing world, Tiger's greatness was as a grinder.  He won so many tournaments by just keeping it together better than anyone else.

Boarcephus

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 09, 2018, 09:03:33 am
This is just my opinion and of course it is just speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if Woods father used the racial angle to help inspire Tiger. Probably preached to him at a young age that he had to show "Whitey" how good he was going to be at the game. But as I said...that is just pure speculation.

Rory and Jordan have no such basis for inspiration to be the very best.

and of course I won't be surprised if my "speculation" ruffles a few feathers on here.

Agree and plus, Tiger is just a little smarter than the average guy on tour, IMO.  He wants and has to win while Rory and Jordan, hey they're enjoying being Rory and Jordan. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Tiger's doing well this week because Aphibarnrat took the week off.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

EastexHawg

March 09, 2018, 10:04:21 am #20 Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 01:15:12 pm by EastexHawg
Quote from: hawgon on March 09, 2018, 09:11:36 am
After he got through that initial period where he shocked the golfing world, Tiger's greatness was as a grinder.  He won so many tournaments by just keeping it together better than anyone else.

That's true.  No one of his era could grind out pars and occasional birdies on a tough course better than Tiger.  Plus, he has a high golf IQ and knows when and where to take his shots.  He almost never made the stupid play...like Phil, for instance.  This week he is playing a lot of "short" clubs off the tee, getting it in the fairway, making birdie putts when he puts it inside 15 feet, and scrambling when he misses greens.

Phil hit an absolutely stupid shot on 11 last week when he had the lead, going for the green out of the rough by trying to cut off the dogleg (that he had created by hitting it so far right) by trying to go over the trees.  The announcers and I were both saying it was a ridiculous play before he hit it.  The ball didn't clear the trees, bounced and rolled down the cart path into the bushes, and very nearly cost him the tournament.

I don't think Tiger...or Nicklaus...would have ever tried that idiotic shot unless he was behind on the last hole and needed to make birdie or eagle.

Jackrabbit Hog

Ladies and gentlemen:  Your solo leader at 11:25 a.m. on Friday, Eldrick Woods!

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 09, 2018, 11:27:07 am

But they ole J'Rabb-Garrigus jinx on him, he'll probably hurt his back tomorrow, now.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 09, 2018, 11:27:07 am

Really fine play, no doubt...but it's still Friday.  We'll see how his game and his nerves hold up over the weekend.

cosmodrum

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 09, 2018, 01:16:08 pm
Really fine play, no doubt...but it's still Friday.  We'll see how his game and his nerves hold up over the weekend.

His short game is on point. All depends on the tee box.
Go away, batin'

Boarcephus

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 09, 2018, 08:34:49 am
I've never seen a great player...and I would say four majors qualifies him as great...who misses as many putts inside six feet.  When Rory isn't on one of his hot streaks he is a downright awful putter.

Just turned the Golf Channel on, Rory crushes a 300+ drive, sitting dead center of the fairway, 103 out, bogies the hole to go to +5. 

TampaHawgFan

I was the standard bearer for AC's pairing today.  It was a pleasure to walk with them.  He and his caddy seemed to really enjoy being out.  Lingmerth also made the cut.

PonderinHog

He's right there, waiting...

GolfNut57

Woods will probably luck out and win this weekend. I just don't see a relative unknown like Connor hanging on wire to wire for the win. In fact until this weekend I have never even heard of the guy. Has he even won a single tourney in his career yet? Of course Woods isn't the only lurker in the weeds. Snedeker is right there with him and could come out and fire off a 65 tomorrow to win it going away.

PonderinHog

and Rose.  He shot a 66 today.

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 10, 2018, 05:03:03 pm
Woods will probably luck out and win this weekend. I just don't see a relative unknown like Connor hanging on wire to wire for the win. In fact until this weekend I have never even heard of the guy. Has he even won a single tourney in his career yet? Of course Woods isn't the only lurker in the weeds. Snedeker is right there with him and could come out and fire off a 65 tomorrow to win it going away.

Being that he's a rookie, it's not unusual that he hasn't won a tournament.

GolfNut57

Quote from: ricepig on March 10, 2018, 05:10:33 pm
Being that he's a rookie, it's not unusual that he hasn't won a tournament.

Well Duh...... I did state that I had never heard of the guy. If he is an actual tour rookie that makes it even more likely he will collapse tomorrow.

hoghappy

Wildhog

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 10, 2018, 05:03:03 pm

If he wins, it won't be because he "lucked out."
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on March 10, 2018, 08:19:51 pm
If he wins, it won't be because he "lucked out."

Some will certainly say it

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

MikePiazza

Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

pigture perfect

It was fun watching that stretch where it seemed like everyone was hitting birdies. There was great shot making out there.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Boarcephus

Quote from: MikePiazza on March 10, 2018, 11:27:15 pm
A stat from today.

https://twitter.com/JustinRayGC/status/972590278233161729

Good find.  129+ mph swing speed blows my mind.   Had mine checked day before yesterday and it's a piddly 85. 

I'm with the others, if Tiger wins today it won't be luck.  I'd like to see Connors win it.  ;) 

hawgsalot

Tiger Wins today at -12 and our own Austin Cook roars from T32 to T9 by shooting 65 on a tough golf course.  That's my prediction.

cosmodrum

Victory red, you sumbishes.
Go away, batin'

Wildhog

I'm watching golf for the first time in I couldn't tell you how long. 

Go Eldrick.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on March 11, 2018, 01:19:26 pm
I'm watching golf for the first time in I couldn't tell you how long. 

Go Eldrick.

Babysitting?

onebadrubi

Tiger is not getting his birdies to fall.

PonderinHog

He needs to get closer to the hole to begin with.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 11, 2018, 04:21:13 pm
He needs to get closer to the hole to begin with.
That's what the Perkins waitress said.

Ba-dum-dum

majestic

Reed is wearing the outfit better today.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

majestic

Right as I post that.... holy darn!

PonderinHog

That was nice!

That's what she said, too.

majestic

Nevermind what I posted about Reed. Complete melt down.