Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Daniel Gafford posts 1st double double of his career. Many more to come.....

Started by FineAsSwine, January 18, 2018, 10:22:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FineAsSwine

Lost in the shuffle of another loss, Daniel Gafford had another really good game. Once he develops a few post moves, a decent jumper and greatly improves his free throw shooting, he is definitely looking like a pro in a year or two.

Looking for him to have a real breakout year next year when he will likely be the main focus of this team.
Hogs up! Covid down!

cityhog

If that kid has 1/2 a brain he'll bail. Next year is going to be a disaster.

Little Lady Back

#NolanRichardsonCourt

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Little Lady Back on January 18, 2018, 10:34:55 am
Proud of you Daniel! Way to represent!!

This kid can be a real stud for us next year. I am excited about seeing what he can do after going through offseason weight and strength training and working on his shot. He could have a really special season.
Hogs up! Covid down!

ke2743

Quote from: cityhog on January 18, 2018, 10:29:12 am
If that kid has 1/2 a brain he'll bail. Next year is going to be a disaster.

He's shining this year and we are turning into a disaster too..

FineAsSwine

Quote from: ke2743 on January 18, 2018, 10:49:43 am
He's shining this year and we are turning into a disaster too..

Yes, true but He just got his first double double of his career and I think he will have a lot more. Just wanted to recognize the kid for his play. There are plenty of other threads to point out how badly the team is playing. This is just a thread about how Daniel has been continuing to work and fight for the team. I am proud of his effort.
Hogs up! Covid down!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Karma on January 18, 2018, 10:59:39 am
He may only have 14 games left as a Razorback.

I feel that he will almost certainly be back next year for a variety of reasons.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Little Lady Back

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 18, 2018, 10:40:00 am
This kid can be a real stud for us next year. I am excited about seeing what he can do after going through offseason weight and strength training and working on his shot. He could have a really special season.

I am also excited to see what he can do. So happy he chose to be a Razorback. 
#NolanRichardsonCourt

bosshog84

Still he continues to barely see touches in our "offense" as Macon, Barford, or Beard dribbles around for 30 seconds.

Ex-Trumpet

Will Gafford be 19?  His special season next year may be in the NBA.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

hogwood

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 18, 2018, 10:22:05 am
Lost in the shuffle of another loss, Daniel Gafford had another really good game. Once he develops a few post moves, a decent jumper and greatly improves his free throw shooting, he is definitely looking like a pro in a year or two.

Looking for him to have a real breakout year next year when he will likely be the main focus of this team.

He needs to have a break out year this year if we want to go anywhere in the SEC.

Pig in the Pokey

y'all are really really delusional if you think Gafford is back next year. He's a projected top 20 pick.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

PonderinHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 18, 2018, 03:17:54 pm
y'all are really really delusional if you think Gafford is back next year. He's a projected top 20 pick.
Has he moved up that much?  I knew he was up there in the 2019 draft projections, but has his stock risen that much this year?

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: bosshog84 on January 18, 2018, 01:23:02 pm
Still he continues to barely see touches in our "offense" as Macon, Barford, or Beard dribbles around for 30 seconds.

Yeah there is a problem with Barford and Beard actually throwing him the ball.

Hate me if you want but they are not trying to get the ball to Gafford!! He's got plenty of offensive moves needs to come back to get stronger no doubt. There are some seniors that are jealous...Watch Barford would not pass him the ball last night and he was open all night. He's our best offensive option with Macon struggling and now Beard is trying to take over offensively?????

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 18, 2018, 03:17:54 pm

Shut up dude..Why are you on here with your nonsense!!

Little Lady Back

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on January 18, 2018, 03:22:48 pm
Yeah there is a problem with Barford and Beard actually throwing him the ball.

Hate me if you want but they are not trying to get the ball to Gafford!! He's got plenty of offensive moves needs to come back to get stronger no doubt. There are some seniors that are jealous...Watch Barford would not pass him the ball last night and he was open all night. He's our best offensive option with Macon struggling and now Beard is trying to take over offensively?????

I would go ahead and add Macon to that group.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hobhog

PonderinHog

hobhog

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 18, 2018, 03:45:40 pm
Foul trouble early.

Florida went right at him early and it worked. Everyone knows to go at him early, and pressure Macon and Barford. The books out and we can't seem to do anything about it.

PonderinHog

Barford got two offensive fouls last night and made both shots. 

Dan still needs help, even as good as he is.

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 18, 2018, 03:57:21 pm
Barford got two offensive fouls last night and made both shots. 

Dan still needs help, even as good as he is.

Imagine how good Dan would be with a legit 4 that could score. I actually think we will be better next year than this one. We have no guard depth, Macon and Barford have to conserve energy and are playing too many minutes.

AlmaHog2011

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on January 18, 2018, 05:34:29 pm
Imagine how good Dan would be with a legit 4 that could score. I actually think we will be better next year than this one. We have no guard depth, Macon and Barford have to conserve energy and are playing too many minutes.

Yeah, KG would be getting minutes and helping with D, especially at the 3 pt line..

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on January 18, 2018, 05:34:29 pm

If we had a power forward or even a center that could play and score we would be very dangerous. I hope Gafford stays another year and we can get someone in here that can score and rebound along side him. We have players that can't hit a wide open 12 foot jump shot or even just power the ball up and dunk it??? How can we be that bad at just hitting open shots?

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 18, 2018, 10:22:05 am

Hey, dont want him to do it too fast or he will be long gone if you know what I mean.  LOL.   But seriously, DGafford most definitely needs to develop a longer range shot than what he has right now.  In fact, he needs to be able to shoot the college 3 pt shot (which is a joke anyway at 19'9") because guys his size in the NBA are draining big boy 3s from the NBA line. 

I love how Daniel is learning to move around the rim with his explosiveness.  He can go up and just dunk with hardly any effort. With him being only a freshman, that is really scary, but he needs to be given the ball more.  I know we have 3 senior guards and in college, you win with guards, but our guards at times dont seem to want to get Gafford the ball. 

Mike has GOT to impress upon our 3 headed guard monster that Gafford needs to touch the ball every trip down the floor on offense unless someone has a clear path to the rim for a layup/dunk. 

There is just way too much dribbling and fall away jump shots without at least seeing what Gafford can do.  Im sure if Daniel gets doubled he will give the ball back up, but the tri-guards need to trust that he will do it and give him the ball more. 

There is just no excuse for the arse whippins the Hogs have been taking except for lack of defense and too much dribbling and hero ball by the tri-guards.  I hope Mike can figure out how to make this work cause the Houston, LSU, Florida, Auburn losses have not been close and with a talent like Gafford in the middle, those games should have been much much closer than they were.

3of5-2

Does it not bother anyone that after 17 games into the season, that he only has ONE double double? The way we shoot, he should have at least 5 offensive boards a game. Of course, having him guarding the 3 point line doesn't help.

Roadhog82

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 18, 2018, 06:40:14 pm
Does it not bother anyone that after 17 games into the season, that he only has ONE double double? The way we shoot, he should have at least 5 offensive boards a game. Of course, having him guarding the 3 point line doesn't help.

That's not an easy thing for a freshman averaging 20 minutes a game to do. So no not really bothered by only having 1 so far. I'm sure he will have many more to come. Especially as he gets closer to 30 minutes a game

golfinpig

Gafford is shooting 60% from the field yet is averaging only about 10 shots per game. WTH

golfinpig

Quote from: bosshog84 on January 18, 2018, 01:23:02 pm
This x 1000

thebignasty

Supposedly up to 13 on the NBA draft board for ESPN insiders.  Thats premium content and I'm not paying to confirm.

Top 20 on this one:

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/01/10/nba-draft-2018-prospect-rankings-big-board-deandre-ayton-trae-young

I think that unless Gafford's play falls off a cliff that he's very likely to be 1 and done. 

HogBeliever625

PonderinHog

Quote from: thebignasty on January 18, 2018, 10:35:40 pm
Supposedly up to 13 on the NBA draft board for ESPN insiders.  Thats premium content and I'm not paying to confirm.

Top 20 on this one:

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/01/10/nba-draft-2018-prospect-rankings-big-board-deandre-ayton-trae-young

I think that unless Gafford's play falls off a cliff that he's very likely to be 1 and done.
Dang, I hope he doesn't see that!   :o

Kevin

compare
#20 slot money
1.5 first year
1.8 second year
2.1 third year

#10 slot money
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

PonderinHog

Quote from: Kevin on January 19, 2018, 10:49:09 am
compare
#20 slot money
1.5 first year+
1.8 second year+
2.1 third year=5.4

#10 slot money
2.5+
3.0= 5.5
Pay me now or pay me later.

thebignasty

Quote from: Kevin on January 19, 2018, 10:49:09 am
compare
#20 slot money
1.5 first year
1.8 second year
2.1 third year

#10 slot money

This idea that he's a 20th pick now but if he comes back he's a 10th pick is flawed in that it lacks perspective.  That is a possible outcome, but it is also possible he comes back and gets hurt, or he comes back and next years class is loaded and packed with bigs and he falls, or that he comes back and doesnt play well and falls or even that his draft stock hangs pretty much steady even with another year.  There is also this to consider; the sooner he makes it to the league, the sooner he gets the potentially far more financially rewarding second contract. In fact, your comparison above needs to have the 4th year of nba money he'd be making if he went by the time he gets to his 3rd if he were to return to college, to even make sense as a comparison.

Just with all of those factors, if he is safely a first round talent, he ought to go. 

PonderinHog

Not to mention he gets to the second contract a year sooner and everybody but Eriehog knows that's where the money is.

Kevin

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 19, 2018, 11:01:34 am
Not to mention he gets to the second contract a year sooner and everybody but Eriehog knows that's where the money is.

if he earns the second contract. lots of those draft picks are playing in the g-league right now.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22