Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chris Beard

Started by FaytownHog, January 16, 2018, 02:26:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidr295

Just admit we don't have a road win that even compares and move on with your life.

RazorPiggie

Beard will be interesting to watch the next couple of years. Seems like a really good coach.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Davidr295 on January 17, 2018, 10:49:16 am
Your the one who compared the two....
In my opinion it comes close. That's what YOU asked for. I didn't compare anything. If Kansas gets exposed this year and gets bounced early it comes even closer. Not the same or equal to. I think our win against USC was a very good win. In hindsight it's even better. Their win vs KU was a great win at this point and better than ours.

Davidr295

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 17, 2018, 10:53:37 am
In my opinion it comes close. That's what YOU asked for. I didn't compare anything. If Kansas gets exposed this year and gets bounced early it comes even closer. Not the same or equal to. I think our win against USC was a very good win. In hindsight it's even better. Their win vs KU was a great win at this point and better than ours.

I agree it was a good win at USC. There are a few places though that winning in their house is just a bigger deal. Duke, Kansas, Michigan St, UNC. Getting a win at those gyms does not happen very often.

Fan701

Quote from: Davidr295 on January 17, 2018, 10:51:32 am
Just admit we don't have a road win that even compares and move on with your life.
We are the last SEC team to win in Lexington - a final four Kentucky team, February 2014, and no SEC team has won there since. So there's that.  And I might point out Kansas has lost twice at home this year and once in Kansas City, too. They're not quite as dominant as in years past.  I'd say it's not at all crazy to say our @South Carolina win, seeing how SC was a final four team, was at least somewhat comparable.

Razorback_Mack

Won't at Kentucky a few years back that finished as the national runner up. Yeah I'll admit that's as good a win or better. Now I'll move on.

Davidr295

Quote from: Fan701 on January 17, 2018, 10:58:19 am
We are the last SEC team to win in Lexington - February 2014, and no SEC team has done it since. So there's that.  And I might point out Kansas has lost twice at home this year and once in Kansas City, too. They're not quite as dominant as in years past.  I'd say it's not at all crazy to say our @South Carolina win, seeing how SC was a final four team, was at least somewhat comparable.

Since this thread is about Chris Beard's time at Tech i was obviously only comparing last year and this year. But yes if you want to go back before Beard was at Tech then yes that was an awesome win at Lexington.

golfinpig

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 17, 2018, 12:59:17 am
You have to get in on a regular basis before you can start making noise.  We were not doing that.  We are now for the first time in decades.
Decades? How old are you, 10?

Davidr295

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 17, 2018, 10:59:21 am
Won't at Kentucky a few years back that finished as the national runner up. Yeah I'll admit that's as good a win or better. Now I'll move on.

Yes if we are going back before Beard was even a tech which is what this thread is about then yes in the history of arkansas basketball we had some great road wins.

hawganatic

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 16, 2018, 05:10:45 pm
You calm down. Twice in 6 years with the 7th tbd. You're  counting this season against him already. That shows your agenda and really makes your opinion insignificant.

How is twice in 6 years "regularly getting in now," as you stated we were in your previous post.  Sounds like you are already counting this season for him already, which shows your agenda.

If you can't state an argument without resulting to name calling like retard, then you just don't have a very strong argument...

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: hawganatic on January 17, 2018, 11:12:49 am
How is twice in 6 years "regularly getting in now," as you stated we were in your previous post.  Sounds like you are already counting this season for him already, which shows your agenda.

If you can't state an argument without resulting to name calling like retard, then you just don't have a very strong argument...
I never said we were regularly getting in. I don't think I called anybody names. You ought to look elsewhere 

hawganatic

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 17, 2018, 11:47:57 am
I never said we were regularly getting in. I don't think I called anybody names. You ought to look elsewhere

My apologies.  Clicked on the wrong post to quote...

Randohoggie

Quote from: LZH on January 17, 2018, 05:56:24 am
Beating a 9 seed is making noise? A 12 three years ago?

Didn't say that.  We are making the tournament on a regular basis.

Randohoggie

Quote from: hawganatic on January 17, 2018, 11:12:49 am

My argument is fine.  I add the name calling if it fits, which it does.  This year would be 3 of the last 4 years in.  As I said before, if we don't get in, that would be a big step back.  I think we will.

Randohoggie

Quote from: golfinpig on January 17, 2018, 11:07:35 am
Decades? How old are you, 10?

Ok, this is the 17th season since Nolan left, so almost 2 decades.  We are presently in the best 4 year run during that time.  The two highest win totals during that time were in 2 of the last 3 years.  We got out of the 1st round in the NCAA 3 times in those 17 years and 2 of them were in the last 3 years.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 17, 2018, 03:20:27 pm
Ok, this is the 17th season since Nolan left, so almost 2 decades.  We are presently in the best 4 year run during that time.  The two highest win totals during that time were in 2 of the last 3 years.  We got out of the 1st round in the NCAA 3 times in those 17 years and 2 of them were in the last 3 years.
Again, that's the wrong standard.

When comparing now versus the 1996- 2017 era, right now looks pretty good. You're right.

If you're comparing to 1975-1995, then it doesn't compare so favorably.

I think comparisons should be made against the gold standard, not a lesser one.

People avoid making those 'gold standard' comparisons because they know it doesn't stack up.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 17, 2018, 04:25:30 pm
Again, that's the wrong standard.

When comparing now versus the 1996- 2017 era, right now looks pretty good. You're right.

If you're comparing to 1975-1995, then it doesn't compare so favorably.

I think comparisons should be made against the gold standard, not a lesser one.

People avoid making those 'gold standard' comparisons because they know it doesn't stack up.
I'm not saying to settle but nobody we're recruiting was even born during those times. Most college players weren't even alive. Been a long time gone.

hobhog

Let's make Texas Tech go bling defending us hiring Beard. He is real deal.....

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: raz1965 on January 16, 2018, 02:36:36 pm
Beard does appear to be a great coach, but however has not proven he can sustain a program over a long term as of yet. He may well be able too, however problems do arise when your around a place past the honeymoon period.

I'll take one run into the sweet sixteen at this point.
This is my non-signature signature.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: hobhog on January 17, 2018, 11:01:14 pm
Let's make Texas Tech go bling defending us hiring Beard. He is real deal.....
Iowa St. 70 Texas Tech 52

Beard 1-11 on the road

raz1965

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 20, 2018, 03:28:59 pm

Beard 1-11 on the road

Can't win on the road. Outcoached again. ;)
Hogs up! Covid down!

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

The_Iceman

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 20, 2018, 03:28:59 pm

Beard 1-11 on the road

Nick Babb: 13pts, 7rebs, 5 asts, 3stls, 2blks

Fire Mike.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 20, 2018, 09:34:31 pm

Fire Mike.
I saw that he's averaging 12/7/7 he's a complete player.

Razorback_Mack

Beg my pardon, Chris Beard is now 1-12 on the road. I missed his loss to Texas.  ::hornsdown::

Peter Porker

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 20, 2018, 09:45:46 pm
Beg my pardon, Chris Beard is now 1-12 on the road. I missed his loss to Texas.  ::hornsdown::

Good thing he's in his 7th year at Texas Tec.... oh wait
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

razorpimp

Big 12 >>>>>> SEC (especially SEC Anderson's first 6 years)

pghawg1

Whether the big 12 is better than the sec or not. if he is that great of coach his road record should be better than 1-12, it shows that it is TOUGH to win on the road in any conference

Razorback_Mack

January 21, 2018, 10:43:45 am #79 Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:57:29 am by Razorback_Mack
Quote from: razorpimp on January 21, 2018, 07:58:38 am
Big 12 >>>>>> SEC (especially SEC Anderson's first 6 years)
The point is....people are making him out to be Bobby Knight reincarnated and he has won less than 8% of his road games. Spin that anyway you want...that sucks. It's tough to win on the road and yes Chris Beard is a good coach.

Razorback_Mack

January 21, 2018, 10:45:27 am #80 Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:56:24 am by Razorback_Mack
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 21, 2018, 07:55:46 am
Good thing he's in his 7th year at Texas Tec.... oh wait
Beard doesn't need 7 years....break the bank! He'll have us winning over 50% of our road games within 2 years in a much improved SEC......oh wait

Letsroll1200

No!! This is a mistake.

swineology

Fire Mike.

Wow,  good move Mike. We didn't need him anyway

>:(

The_Iceman

Quote from: swineology on January 21, 2018, 11:04:02 am

Oh, and Jimmy Whitt had 18 pts, 3 asts, and 5 stls for SMU.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: swineology on January 21, 2018, 11:04:02 am

Iowa State 11-7. No NCAA tournament this year. Babb will finish his senior season in the NIT.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 21, 2018, 11:25:18 am
Iowa State 11-7. No NCAA tournament this year. Babb will finish his senior season in the NIT.

Whitt and Babb both needed time to physically mature and adjust to D1 ball. Some kids are more ready than others are out of the gate. Both have greatly benefited from increased strength and physicality since leaving here. Hard to keep kids from getting discouraged when things don't pan out instantly from high school to high level college ball.

I was looking at Whitt's physique in a game the other day and I was amazed at how much bigger and stronger he is. He could have developed that here but he got frustrated and left. Same as Babb.
Hogs up! Covid down!

dsims2k3

Fire Mike.

40 mins
3-10 fg
But go ahead.

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 21, 2018, 11:25:18 am

How in the hell is that relevant to the fact that our lack of guard depth is a result of Mike's poor roster management?

The_Iceman

Quote from: dsims2k3 on January 21, 2018, 02:36:50 pm
40 mins
3-10 fg
But go ahead.

Yeah, I don't think a 6'5" guard like Babb could help us out at all. I think we are doing just fine with our guard depth.

Oh wait....

Fan701

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 21, 2018, 06:20:24 pm
Yeah, I don't think a 6'5" guard like Babb could help us out at all. I think we are doing just fine with our guard depth.

Oh wait....
Why waste our time with the Whitt and Babb stuff?  Had Whitt and Babb stayed, there would have been no place for Macon and Barford, who are both better players.  About half the team last year would have been combo guards.  No way it would have worked out.  It was a really lucky break that Babb and Whitt transferred, as it turned out.  It paved the way to upgrade to Macon and Barford.

ParkerSchnabel

Wait my thread about Gregg Marshall getting beat by Houston was removed and called dumb. But this one stays up ? Last I checked we don't have a coaching vacancy. So this thread is DUMB.

Beard will likely wind up somewhere like Duke, UNC , Kansas or UCLA. Arkansas ? Nope.

(notOM)Rebel123

Oh calm down. Arizona State beat Kansas in Lawrence this year, as well.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 21, 2018, 06:39:26 pm
Wait my thread about Gregg Marshall getting beat by Houston was removed and called dumb. But this one stays up ? Last I checked we don't have a coaching vacancy. So this thread is DUMB.

Beard will likely wind up somewhere like Duke, UNC , Kansas or UCLA. Arkansas ? Nope.
Saying Beard will end up somewhere like Duke, UNC, Kansas or UCLA seems like a roundabout way of saying that he's really good.

Which was the point of this thread, I believe.

HawgsPolo

Fire Mike.

No way Ark fans would have given Babb until his senior season to develop his game and he is getting stats on a bad team. Someone has to right??
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

HawgsPolo

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 21, 2018, 11:14:11 am
Oh, and Jimmy Whitt had 18 pts, 3 asts, and 5 stls for SMU.

Jimmy plays against lower level competition and has had very few good games this season. Check his free throw percentage and he hasn't take a 3 all season. Mostly all his points come from the painted area. What team did they play by the way??
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

HawgsPolo

Kentucky 2014???
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 21, 2018, 06:39:26 pm

Yeah 1-12 is very dumb

hulk hog

Quote from: HawgsPolo on January 22, 2018, 06:25:34 am

Kentucky 2014???
Hmmm. Seems that was way back when mike needed time to get his guys in here. If Beard beats one more ranked conference opponent on the road this year he will equal mikes total in 7 seasons. Plus his team will be in the dance year 2. Interesting
paid for by the NHO... the NewHogOrder.....

niels_boar

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 21, 2018, 06:19:10 pm
How in the hell is that relevant to the fact that our lack of guard depth is a result of Mike's poor roster management?

There is no way in hell we were ever going to have Macon, Barford, Babb, and Whitt all on roster this season.  That's a nice fantasy. For one thing three of them wanted to play the same position.  Most likely if Babb had thrived here, we would have Babb instead of Barford, not a favorable swap, and still be in the same boat when Garland's problems arose.  Nobody recruited Garland to redshirt him this season.

Whitt wasn't mismanaged.  He played plenty as a frosh, and I don't think he was that big a loss.  He's a PG in his third year of college ball that shoots treys less often than Manny and converts 50% at the line when he rarely gets there.  His handle is nothing special, and he isn't a plus athlete.  He is pretty good on the drive. If he were around, he wouldn't be starting on this team, and there is no way his parents would let him hang around to be nothing but quality depth.  He's probably better off walking the ball up the court at SMU at their granny pace.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

hobhog

Quote from: hulk hog on January 22, 2018, 11:30:13 am
Hmmm. Seems that was way back when mike needed time to get his guys in here. If Beard beats one more ranked conference opponent on the road this year he will equal mikes total in 7 seasons. Plus his team will be in the dance year 2. Interesting