Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FINISH

Started by twistitup, August 17, 2017, 11:38:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

Should this not be the total focus this year.

Finish the block, Finish the tackle, Finish the play, Finish the half, Finish games, Finish the season, Finish winning the SEC (CBB promise)

Finish

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

FANONTHEHILL

I assure you it has been since the plane from Charlotte landed. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

OLDHOG

jst01

didn't they already say that its the focus, with drilling them harder when fatigued at the end of practices,etc.

hawgon

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on August 17, 2017, 11:48:33 am
I assure you it has been since the plane from Charlotte landed.

You mean like we were told was the total game plan after the Missouri game before the VT game?

Headhog32

that should be our only goal. if we would have finished our last 2 games we woulda been 9-4  instead of 7-6. IMO 9-4 would have been a pretty good season

twistitup

Quote from: jst01 on August 17, 2017, 11:49:31 am
didn't they already say that its the focus, with drilling them harder when fatigued at the end of practices,etc.

Drills are great but I think having quality depth is the secret to us finishing games. The number 2 and 3 guys must be solid so we can rotate more - stay fresh - and finish in the 4th qtr.

One of the reasons team like bama are so good is they have quality depth - minimal talent decrease between first and second string players - especially D line
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

JIHawg

Quote from: twistitup on August 17, 2017, 11:38:56 am

Finish the block, Finish the tackle, Finish the play, Finish the half, Finish games, Finish the season, Finish winning the SEC (CBB promise)

Finish

Amen Bro.  We just need to do in the 2nd half what we did in the first half, except Auburn of course.

Hawgphat

If we should happen to lose to Florida A&M, some fans will likely be finished with immediate future optimism.

If we should happen to lose to Florida A&M, TCU and Texas A&M, some fans will undoubtedly be finished for the season.

If we should happen to lose more games than we win this year, Bielema might very well be finished at Arkansas.

I'm finished now.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: hawgon on August 17, 2017, 11:53:04 am
You mean like we were told was the total game plan after the Missouri game before the VT game?

Finish is what the players have focused on from the time the bowl game ended. Not game plan, not strategy.  Just finish.  The coaches and the game plan mean nothing when it comes to finishing.  No coach was on the field for a single second half snap against Missouri or VT.  The coaches coached.  The players caved.  It's all on the players.  They are fully aware those failures were theirs.  Like I tell my son.  This team has a lot to prove.  No one, not coaches, fans, or player parents will believe that they can complete the task until they go out and do it.  It's their job to prove us wrong. That's the burden and the chip on their shoulder the players have carried for 8 months.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

MS_HogFan

SOOIE

woodrow hog call

When you are lacking the on field leadership, and you start to see things going bad, you have that "aw crap this is what I was afraid of" mindset start to creep in. Then it goes from bad to worse and nobody can figure out why.

That's when you need captains or team leaders {that have earned the respect of their group}, to start grabbing face-masks and challenging the manhood of everybody in their group. It sounds like we have a couple of those on the offensive side of the ball, hopefully Dre will be that guy for the LB's and somebody will take that role for the DL, and the same for the secondary.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

LRHog

Quote from: Hawgphat on August 17, 2017, 12:14:30 pm
If we should happen to lose to Florida A&M, some fans will likely be finished with immediate future optimism.

If we should happen to lose to Florida A&M, TCU and Texas A&M, some fans will undoubtedly be finished for the season.

If we should happen to lose more games than we win this year, Bielema might very well be finished at Arkansas.

I'm finished now.
lmao, losing to FAM aint gonna happen.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: twistitup on August 17, 2017, 11:38:56 am

Finish

Good summary. This has haunted us far too long. And as bad as our last 2 games were (and they were the worst back-to-back losses I've ever seen, regarding the way we lost them), I think my sickest feelings are those overtime losses to Texas A&M. The 2014 meltdown set our "inability to finish" in motion.

And you point out something important, because just "finishing the game/second half" is a little too abstract. It's about each play. Finishing each play—the block, the run, the tackle, etc. Mizzou and V-Tech didn't catch up because, like the end of some game show, they were awarded more points for scoring. They won more second half plays than we did. A lot more.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

hogman64

Quote from: twistitup on August 17, 2017, 12:01:55 pm
Drills are great but I think having quality depth is the secret to us finishing games. The number 2 and 3 guys must be solid so we can rotate more - stay fresh - and finish in the 4th qtr.

One of the reasons team like bama are so good is they have quality depth - minimal talent decrease between first and second string players - especially D line

I don't buy the depth issue as the main problem, sure it helps to rotate and sure Alabama's quality depth is huge..... but does everybody suddenly get tired after a missed field goal?   does everybody suddenly get tired when any kind of adversity hits in the second half  when we are comfortably ahead in a game?   leadership has been missing somewhere and hopefully that is being addressed,  whether it be coaching leadership or players leadership...

jgphillips3

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on August 17, 2017, 12:15:54 pm
Finish is what the players have focused on from the time the bowl game ended. Not game plan, not strategy.  Just finish.  The coaches and the game plan mean nothing when it comes to finishing.  No coach was on the field for a single second half snap against Missouri or VT.  The coaches coached.  The players caved.  It's all on the players.  They are fully aware those failures were theirs.  Like I tell my son.  This team has a lot to prove.  No one, not coaches, fans, or player parents will believe that they can complete the task until they go out and do it.  It's their job to prove us wrong. That's the burden and the chip on their shoulder the players have carried for 8 months.

Well said.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: woodrow hog call on August 17, 2017, 12:27:06 pm
When you are lacking the on field leadership, and you start to see things going bad, you have that "aw crap this is what I was afraid of" mindset start to creep in. Then it goes from bad to worse and nobody can figure out why.

That's when you need captains or team leaders {that have earned the respect of their group}, to start grabbing face-masks and challenging the manhood of everybody in their group. It sounds like we have a couple of those on the offensive side of the ball, hopefully Dre will be that guy for the LB's and somebody will take that role for the DL, and the same for the secondary.

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

sowmonella

I'm finished now.

Adios
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Mike_e

I'll get back to you on this
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Mike_e

Trying this again.

This is what made us famous (and yes, we were), this is what we need to get back.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Headhog32

Quote from: sowmonella on August 17, 2017, 03:26:04 pm
Adios
lets hope neither of these happen. lets say we start the season undefeated going into the bama game

I believe the coaching staff needs to have a system that helps fight the doldrums.  It is very easy as a young player to get down if things start to go wrong.  This will also make things just go more wrong and the system keeps rewarding itself with more failure. 

Calling a timeout and having a stern talk with everyone might help. Something like we are doing this to ourselves.  Here is what we are going to do.  This is our next play.  Does everyone know what is expected of them.  Now is the time to ask questions if you don't because failure is not a fricking option.  There is no excuse, execute the plan.  Stay focused.  If that play works and it is likely to because hopefully everyone is totally focused, then insist on the next play being treated the same.  It is totally possible to have the same high by doing things correctly as it is to go totally in the shitter due to doing things incorrectly.  I have seen BB turn himself away from the fray as the ship slowly sinks.  In my opinion, that is the exact time that HIS TEAM needs him the most, including the assistant coaches. 

This attitude of failure is ingrown and will stay there until the coaches find a way to remove it. 

a0ashle

Quote from: 12247 on August 17, 2017, 05:15:26 pm
I believe the coaching staff needs to have a system that helps fight the doldrums.  It is very easy as a young player to get down if things start to go wrong.  This will also make things just go more wrong and the system keeps rewarding itself with more failure. 

Calling a timeout and having a stern talk with everyone might help. Something like we are doing this to ourselves.  Here is what we are going to do.  This is our next play.  Does everyone know what is expected of them.  Now is the time to ask questions if you don't because failure is not a fricking option.  There is no excuse, execute the plan.  Stay focused.  If that play works and it is likely to because hopefully everyone is totally focused, then insist on the next play being treated the same.  It is totally possible to have the same high by doing things correctly as it is to go totally in the shitter due to doing things incorrectly.  I have seen BB turn himself away from the fray as the ship slowly sinks.  In my opinion, that is the exact time that HIS TEAM needs him the most, including the assistant coaches. 

This attitude of failure is ingrown and will stay there until the coaches find a way to remove it.

They have fought back into and through some tough games during CBB's tenure, they showed a lot of resilience in other games last year, TCU?. It's not unknown to them what it's like to fight back. They didn't for MO and VT and they know it.

ChitownHawg

I'm finished now.

Yet, your precious self is on a Hog football board posting. Know thyself.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Tyro3

I'm finished now.

I am guessing, but looking at the post count you are either an idiot or have been banned and that is a new account, I am betting on both.

DLUXHOG

I'm finished now.

Pessimistic much?   sheesh..... (so what will you say if the Hogs go undefeated?)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

factchecker

Quote from: a0ashle on August 17, 2017, 05:21:00 pm
They have fought back into and through some tough games during CBB's tenure, they showed a lot of resilience in other games last year, TCU?. It's not unknown to them what it's like to fight back. They didn't for MO and VT and they know it.

You can add the Tennessee game from 2015 as well.

On the road, in a hostile environment, against a more talented team (recruiting rankings), and coming off a 1-3 start. We begin the game horribly, giving up two quick TDs (one on the opening kickoff) to Tennessee.  We fight back - hold Tennessee to 6 points the rest of the game and win 24-20.

That win helped us turnaround a disastrous season and finish 8-5 (5-3).  Not great but the team showed resolve and "fire in their bellies".
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PonderinHog

I'm finished now.
Front to back...

Hoginsavga

You mean like quality depth like Missouri, Rutgers, Toledo, and a host of other teams that have beat us in the second half? 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Hoginsavga on August 17, 2017, 05:48:21 pm
You mean like quality depth like Missouri, Rutgers, Toledo, and a host of other teams that have beat us in the second half?

CBB was coach when we lost to Rutgers? Checkout Toledo's record the year we lost to them and get back to me.

Not meaning to be negative.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

hawgon

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 17, 2017, 06:29:05 pm
CBB was coach when we lost to Rutgers? Checkout Toledo's record the year we lost to them and get back to me.

Not meaning to be negative.  ;)

Yes, he was.  True to form we led 24-3 and still found a way to lose.

tophawg19

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on August 17, 2017, 12:15:54 pm
i have to disagree on one point . the defensive staff shares in the losses . They never made changes to protect the middle of the field . that was an issue in every game of the season
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

HamSammich

Isn't frohdholt finish? I don't get all the complaints.

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 17, 2017, 07:22:47 pm
i have to disagree on one point . the defensive staff shares in the losses . They never made changes to protect the middle of the field . that was an issue in every game of the season

That problem is Minnesota's problem now.

Hawgphat

To mention a possible-result scenario is not an act of disloyalty.  I am a staunch Hogs fan, win or lose.  To completely discount, dismiss and ignore possible unfavorable results for this pending season - - in light of the previous two seasons - -  would be unrealistic and non rational.  To say that "storm clouds have been gathering overhead" does not equate with proclaiming that "the sky is falling".  There's no justification for getting your shorts in a wad and dissing me.  I'm a Hogs fan; - - but I don't have blinders on, and I don't drink the "feel-good KoolAde".

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Hawgphat on August 17, 2017, 08:21:10 pm
To mention a possible-result scenario is not an act of disloyalty.  I am a staunch Hogs fan, win or lose.  To completely discount, dismiss and ignore possible unfavorable results for this pending season - - in light of the previous two seasons - -  would be unrealistic and non rational.  To say that "storm clouds have been gathering overhead" does not equate with proclaiming that "the sky is falling".  There's no justification for getting your shorts in a wad and dissing me.  I'm a Hogs fan; - - but I don't have blinders on, and I don't drink the "feel-good KoolAde".

It's good that you don't have blinders on, they could do some real damage up in there.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

jgphillips3

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on August 17, 2017, 08:12:53 pm
That problem is Minnesota's problem now.

Ha, ha.  Methinks this is the truth.

Hawgphat

Quote from: woodrow hog call on August 17, 2017, 09:31:46 pm

It's good that you don't have blinders on, they could do some real damage up in there.

Thus speaks The Voice Of Experience.  Your word of cautionary concern is duly noted.  Thanks for sharing.

longpig

Quote from: LRHog on August 17, 2017, 12:35:28 pm
lmao, losing to FAM aint gonna happen.

That won't keep some 'fans' from wanting it to happen.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Headhog32

Quote from: longpig on August 17, 2017, 10:50:51 pm
That won't keep some 'fans' from wanting it to happen.
if any fan wants that to happen then they are not a fan. they can Come to every game but IMO if a fan wants us to lose, especially to FAM they are not a true fan

WBOBO

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 17, 2017, 07:22:47 pm
It will be an issue again this year.  But there will be some blitzing to prevent
that issue from occurring so often.  Stopping the edges is where the defensive coaching
lacked.  That's just plain embarrassing and it better not happen this year.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

wildhogman

Quote from: Headhog32 on August 17, 2017, 10:52:08 pm
if any fan wants that to happen then they are not a fan. they can Come to every game but IMO if a fan wants us to lose, especially to FAM they are not a true fan
Hate to break it to ya, but there are several here that are more a fan of a certain system and/or coach then they are of the hogs.
Proving my point read the response to my previous posts about a certain coch and his inability to finish strong(losing his last THREE games) and not being able to defeat the two SEC teams he faced last year lol. Its funny reading and pretty much points out the ones I speak of. Fans of systems more so then the hogs.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: wildhogman on August 17, 2017, 11:07:50 pm
Hate to break it to ya, but there are several here that are more a fan of a certain system and/or coach then they are of the hogs.
Proving my point read the response to my previous posts about a certain coch and his inability to finish strong(losing his last THREE games) and not being able to defeat the two SEC teams he faced last year lol. Its funny reading and pretty much points out the ones I speak of. Fans of systems more so then the hogs.

Ok. And no one cares about what he does at Louisville. What he did at Arkansas was a different story.  I don't care that he loses to teams as the head coach of Louisville.  I do care that Arkansas continues to lose games when leading at halftime by a large number.  We have done that almost every year CBB has been here.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

PorkRinds

Quote from: 12247 on August 17, 2017, 05:15:26 pm

I love how you always tend to come up with these "it's so simple they just need to do..." posts. The funny thing is it's almost always something that they obviously are already doing. You don't think the coaches call time out and try to get the players focused? It's like you coach peewee football and assume you know more about coaching than actual SEC coaches.

The Kig

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on August 17, 2017, 12:15:54 pmThat's the burden and the chip on their shoulder the players have carried for 8 months.

As painful as the end of last season was, it may be the turning point for these kids.  Was the team talented enough to win at least 2 more games than they did last year?  Absolutely... but it didn't happen.  Some of that was on the coaches and they aren't here anymore.  The wound is still fresh for the kids and adversity is an excellent stone to grind real growth. 

Hopefully the great counsel you have given your son will find its way to every member of the team.
Poker Porker

MuskogeeHogFan

And when you don't have that level of quality depth at every position, what do you do? Just what they said they are doing, drilling harder, conditioning more when they are already tired, pushing through being tired to be mentally tough enough to execute at a higher level even when fatigued. When you don't have the quality depth of a team like Alabama, that is all that you can do.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: HamSammich on August 17, 2017, 07:27:32 pm
Isn't frohdholt finish? I don't get all the complaints.

Danish.

GuvHog

Quote from: Tyro3 on August 17, 2017, 05:28:45 pm

Whether you want to admit it or not, the things he has posted are possible with the exception of a loss to FAMU. I don't see any of what he said happening but the possibility does exist.

The Hogs aren't going to lose to FAMU though.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Headhog32

Quote from: The Kig on August 19, 2017, 11:23:42 am
As painful as the end of last season was, it may be the turning point for these kids.  Was the team talented enough to win at least 2 more games than they did last year?  Absolutely... but it didn't happen.  Some of that was on the coaches and they aren't here anymore.  The wound is still fresh for the kids and adversity is an excellent stone to grind real growth. 

Hopefully the great counsel you have given your son will find its way to every member of the team.
agreed... say it louder for the people who think were going 5-7