Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vegas says Bielema best odds on SEC coach to be fired.

Started by ricepig, August 11, 2017, 01:17:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ImHogginIt

Next1_04

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

GoHogzzGo

JL loves coaching stability, loves CBB, and loves his branding (#NeverYield and doing it the "right way"). Ain't gonna happen this year.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

ricepig

GuvHog

Quote from: ImHogginIt on August 11, 2017, 01:20:57 pm
Vegas odds makers gonna give us 15 million ?

For the Waltons, Tyson's, and J.B. Hunt family, 5 Mill a piece would be chicken feed to them. That being said, it ain't happening.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

RME

Quote from: Surfing8 on August 11, 2017, 01:25:54 pm
Maybe Vegas is underestimating the average Arkansas fan's tolerance for mediocrity?

Maybe Vegas is overestimating Jeff Long's desire to field a national-discussion worthy football program?

Maybe Vegas knows a casual college football bettor doesn't know Bielema's buyout but rather his record here and set those odds to rake in bets on both sides?

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on August 11, 2017, 01:27:27 pm
For the Waltons, Tyson's, and J.B. Hunt family, 5 Mill a piece would be chicken feed to them. That being said, it ain't happening.

Actually it is chicken feed from Tyson's..............

theFlyingHog

They didn't get to where they are by being impatient and throwing money away like that.

Hawgphat

The Vegas odds-makers have a pretty good track record (they HAVE TO in order to maintain their clout and respect) - - - but they're not proven right ALL of the time.  Time will tell if they've hit the nail on the head this time, - - - or if they've hammered the wrong nail.

rhames

How much are the Walton' s giving to the athletic program guv??

Also it would be more like 20MM with assistant buyouts. The new coaches buyout.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

rljjr

People who have that kind of money don't part with it as easily as people think, and certainly not for zero return on their investment.

There is ZERO chance of CBB being let go this year barring some kind of Ole Miss style crisis. NONE.

Inhogswetrust

It's amazing how some that aren't rich think that millions is chicken feed to those that are.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

elksnort

Wait, you all are not going to throw Rice under the bus like you did the other poster for posting essentially the same thing?

Damn Rice, you done earned you some clout around here. lol!

HamSammich

The rumor has always been that various books in Vegas have one person inside each program that feeds info. I somewhat believe this and somewhat doubt this. I somewhat believe it because I know darn well that Vegas researches contracts when coming up with lines like this. I doubt it because having a man on the take all over the country would eventually be turned up imo.

CBB isn't getting fired this year... No way No how.

gchamblee

Quote from: elksnort on August 11, 2017, 01:54:40 pm
Wait, you all are not going to throw Rice under the bus like you did the other poster for posting essentially the same thing?

Rice is a pretty respected poster around here. His opinions are usually pretty level headed and draw on quality knowledge.

oldfart

i dont think the waltons are that much into athletics..   academics yes big time.....

Mike Irwin

Johnny Tyson one told me that the notion there are big bucks boosters in this state who would drop millions to get rid of a Razorback coach is laughable. He said the people he knows with money aren't willing to waste it on buyouts.

hawganatic

I always love when Internet posters offer up other people's money like this...

Kevin

Vegas forgot who our ad is.

Winning is secondary to academics and having nice players
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ricepig

Quote from: oldfart on August 11, 2017, 02:27:44 pm
i dont think the waltons are that much into athletics..   academics yes big time.....

It appears they like cycling, maybe we need to start a team pursuit squad?? You know, with an 80,000 seat velodrome with a football field in the middle?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 11, 2017, 02:38:11 pm
Johnny Tyson one told me that the notion there are big bucks boosters in this state who would drop millions to get rid of a Razorback coach is laughable. He said the people he knows with money aren't willing to waste it on buyouts.

Exactly! They are too busy trying to make money just like everyone else.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: elksnort on August 11, 2017, 01:54:40 pm

I hadn't seen one posted with the Vegas odds, but I didn't search too hard. I just caught the link on my twitter feed.

Next1_04

I can 100% believe this, sadly to some here they refuse to believe it.

RME

Quote from: Surfing8 on August 11, 2017, 02:51:36 pm
Any passion any big money boosters had for Razorback athletics seems to have died quite a long time ago.

Based on what? Based on the stadium expansion, new suites, loge boxes, etc.?

nwahogfan1

15-1 odds.  Isn't that like 6% chance of getting fired?   I would say CBB is safe with those odds.

Now I think CBB needs to win 8  or more this year or he will find his name on the smokin hot seat next year. 

But I think Sumlin must win 9 or more this year or he may not keep his job.  Malzhon is suppose to be challenging Bama this year so lots of pressure on him to succeed.  If Auburn doesn't win 10 games this year and get a big bowl game I think his seat gets very hot. 

twistitup

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 11, 2017, 01:21:27 pm
Apparently contract research doesn't figure into them setting a line?

oh no...they know nothing, they are never accurate

of course they figured that in.

6%

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Hawghiggs

Doesn't CBB's contract buyout drop January 1st 2018?

HamSammich

Quote from: Surfing8 on August 11, 2017, 02:51:36 pm
Any passion any big money boosters had for Razorback athletics seems to have died quite a long time ago.

I believe this to be the truth.

ricepig

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

ArkansasI

I'm pretty surprised they gave Bret the highest odds at 16:1.  So that means they'd pay $16 for every $1 bet that he is the first canned.  That's a good bet if it pays.

So what odds would they give that Bret is NOT the first SEC coach fired?  1/16:1?  Pretty sure that's not how it works, but I'd bet a huge sum on that deal if it did.  By my calculation, that's 6.25%.

The only way Bret leaves is on his own accord - and to another job.  He won't quit, nor should he.

The risk we have as Razorback fans is that Bret decides the challenge is too great.  That would be a terrible realization for some of us.

JethroB.

between them and Jurrah

go hogues

Nope.

It'll be Jones or Sumlin out for first dibs at the Chip Kelly sweepstakes.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

TrueBlue

Quote from: go hogues on August 11, 2017, 04:02:13 pm
Nope.

It'll be Jones or Sumlin out for first dibs at the Chip Kelly sweepstakes.

Chip Kelly at either A&M or TN is a little scary with the talent they can get.

The talent would be better than he could get at Oregon.

ImHogginIt

Exactly. Why would anyone with that kind of money want to bail out an AD dumb enough to give a massive buyout to a coach not named Petrino.

Iwastherein1969

It's called "throwing good money at bad" and successful business people don't usually do such things especially in a situation like Arkansas Football which is going to make money simply by being a member of the SEC.  Yes smart business people do "cut their losses" when it's time, but the UA is in a great financial position so there would be no need to cut one's losses. All that to say this. I agree with Mike and Johnny Tyson, no one is getting fired without cause.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Tyro3

Quote from: Surfing8 on August 11, 2017, 04:01:57 pm
Just because a mediocre coach could possibly recognize his own shortcomings... that doesn't sound like a 'risk' as you put it. 

Six years ago our football program finished the season ranked #5 in the country.  Just because some people can't be successful doesn't mean others can't or won't. 

Irrelevant though, because Burtt isn't turning down the $$ to leave where so many have apparently already decided the 'challenge is too great'.

Butt hurt much?

Hogwild

QuoteRe: Vegas says Bielema best odds on SEC coach to be fired.

No it doesn't.  That info is from the same  USA Today article that we had a 7 page thread about, 10 days ago.

The odds are the first coach to be fired, which is not the same  bet as best odds on coach to be fired.   Sumlin is more likely to be fired but his tougher games are late in the season, so him being the first coach fired isn't as likely, same with Gus.

Basically they set the line at 6.25% we lose our first 3 real games (TCU, A&M, and South Carolina) and then he gets a pink slip then or after the Bama game.

Poker_hog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on August 11, 2017, 03:03:19 pm
15-1 odds.  Isn't that like 6% chance of getting fired?   I would say CBB is safe with those odds.

The odds quoted are to be the first coach fired on out of all 115 coaches in division 1.  So 6% is quite high.

Vegus has no dog in this hunt.  If they say he's the 4th most likely coach to be fire he probably is.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Hogwild

Quote from: ricepig on August 11, 2017, 02:50:55 pm
I hadn't seen one posted with the Vegas odds, but I didn't search too hard. I just caught the link on my twitter feed.

You posted in it a dozen times  ;D
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=635634.msg10901173#msg10901173

ricepig

c-townfan

So we make the bet he will be fired at $731,250 and then fire him we could pay his $11.7m buyout with our winnings!!!

I kid I kid!

ArkansasI

Quote from: Surfing8 on August 11, 2017, 06:21:27 pm
Uh, no... just pointing out there's little risk in Bielema suddenly figuring out he's not cut out to win on the big stage.  If this was the case you'd rather have that happen then him continue in blissful ignorance, right?
Do you really believe this?  Bret went to 3 straight Rose Bowls as a very young coach. He had the courage to leave a life of security to coach at a program that oddsmakers would select in the bottom half of jobs in the most competitive conference in college football.

No, he isn't likely to figure out what he knows isn't true.

The majority of his piss poor record came on the heels of the prior regime. The fourth quarter collapses last year sucked, but the coaches primarily responsible are gone. We focus on LSU, Auburn and A&M - all disappointing for sure. Where is the joy and credit for great victories against Florida, Ole Miss and TCU?

The Hogs seem fairly likely to keep the Arkansas kids home, or have been able to replace those that leave with equal or better talent. In interviews, the players sound positive and complimentary of their teammates.

The coordinators are strong. I'm not sold on all the position coaches, but the fact that we have a roster growing with upper classmen and the 2018 class nearly full with highly rated talent suggests Bret is managing the program quite well.

If you listen to his press conferences it's not so hard to root for the man. Listen to what his players say about him - Trey Flowers (not recruited by Bret), Alex Collins, Raleigh Williams, the Allens... There aren't sour grapes in the program.

Things seem quite healthy right now. Why start over?

Hoggiedawg

Lol about everyone loving them some buy out.  Let him go under .500 and see what happens.  He'll still be here next year, but he'll be a lame duck unless he makes it to the playoff and wins one.

gchamblee

Quote from: ArkansasI on August 11, 2017, 08:54:01 pm
Do you really believe this?  Bret went to 3 straight Rose Bowls as a very young coach. He had the courage to leave a life of security to coach at a program that oddsmakers would select in the bottom half of jobs in the most competitive conference in college football.

No, he isn't likely to figure out what he knows isn't true.

The majority of his piss poor record came on the heels of the prior regime. The fourth quarter collapses last year sucked, but the coaches primarily responsible are gone. We focus on LSU, Auburn and A&M - all disappointing for sure. Where is the joy and credit for great victories against Florida, Ole Miss and TCU?

The Hogs seem fairly likely to keep the Arkansas kids home, or have been able to replace those that leave with equal or better talent. In interviews, the players sound positive and complimentary of their teammates.

The coordinators are strong. I'm not sold on all the position coaches, but the fact that we have a roster growing with upper classmen and the 2018 class nearly full with highly rated talent suggests Bret is managing the program quite well.

If you listen to his press conferences it's not so hard to root for the man. Listen to what his players say about him - Trey Flowers (not recruited by Bret), Alex Collins, Raleigh Williams, the Allens... There aren't sour grapes in the program.

Things seem quite healthy right now. Why start over?

Great post