Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBB... #7 on Coaches Hot Seat

Started by moses_007, May 13, 2017, 04:08:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

wildhogman

Quote from: hawgon on May 22, 2017, 01:12:50 pm

I know the usual suspects will say that you should not count his first year.  So, take that out and he is at 7.3.  But then again if you take out Nutt's two year pass, he is at 8.25.  And if you take out Petrino's first then he is at 9.3.

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 22, 2017, 01:29:04 pm
I remember when anyone would mention Petrino going 21-5 over his last two seasons there would always be someone who would say, "Why do you only talk about his last two years?  He was here four, not two.  Don't his first two years count?"  Of course they do.  All seasons count.
You two going on about Bobby.  Tell me, how did he do with a hiesman winning QB last year?  Did he finish the year as strong as he started? Did he get that elusive 10 win season?  Did he manage to win any games against any SEC opponent? How in heck does THAT team lose to UK?     UK scored 41 points????????? UK!!.  Then LSU smokes them like a cheap cigar. With mumbly peg orgeron for coach.  Zero National championships. One BCS bowl victory over an OU team(not sure but if memory serves that was an OU team expecting to play for a MNC,Not in 'an also ran" Game). Sounds to me like another coach from Arkansas.  Rise up to beat a giant and then lay eggs in a game they should dominate. Ofcourse CBP never beat his giant when it matterd to get into a BCS or Playoff game(ok one time, he beat LSU, so we could lose to the buckeyes). let me see,, what else did the mighty petrino do?   I am shocked,, SHOCKED that Bama hasn't built a statue of petrino next to the bear.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 22, 2017, 10:09:35 am
Why would anyone be quiet if the program is successful? There is not a Hog fan out there that celebrates losing. People have different expectations for the program, but no one would refuse to celebrate success.

Because that is what happened in 2014 and 15. Some who are just posting now were posting the same crap in 2013. Then they stopped until midway through last year.

They don't seem interested in celebrating if the coach is CBB.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Steef

Quote from: BigE_23 on May 22, 2017, 01:35:46 pm
Exactly...you don't get to discard Bret's 3-9 and sweep it under the rug as if it didn't happen, because bottom line - IT SHOULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED!!! That's kinda the whole point of this discussion.

There really isnt an accurate way to compare Bret and Bobby. And it's a stupid thing to do anyway. That horse has been beaten enough.

I'm not thrilled with Bret''s  FOURTH year and it makes me question his ability...on its own...without Bobby entering the conversation.

But your post and its "whole point"...is unreasonable and...well, we'll stick with unreasonable.

Bret had to use 9 true freshmen on our 2 deep in his first year. Most of them starting. That...is almost half a team of "just out of high school a few weeks ago"....playing in the NFL-Lite conference known as the SEC.

That situation....SHOULD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED....either. And wonder-Bobby did it to us.

So count that, too.

riccoar

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 21, 2017, 04:51:40 pm
So some dude at coacheshotseat.com knows a guy from Ft. Smith who told him over dinner in San Francisco that Bret Bielema must have a voodoo hex on Hog fans to keep his job with such a crappy SEC winning percentage? And this is the basis for a thread that has 7,200 hits and 550 responses?

What if a guy from upyournose.com knew a guy from Hogeye who, over lunch in Piggott, said the guy in Ft. Smith who knew the dude at coacheshotseat.com was a complete fruitcake? How many hits would that thread get?
I think it's just hard for some folks to wrap their heads around the fact they can load up NCAA Football 14 on their XBOX 360, take the Hogs through multiple undefeated seasons, and rack up National Championship after National Championship and then wonder why Bret can't do it.   

hawgon

At this point in his career, BB has one fewer win than Danny Ford did at the four year mark.

GuvHog

Quote from: Steef on May 23, 2017, 06:14:37 am
There really isnt an accurate way to compare Bret and Bobby. And it's a stupid thing to do anyway. That horse has been beaten enough.

I'm not thrilled with Bret''s  FOURTH year and it makes me question his ability...on its own...without Bobby entering the conversation.

But your post and its "whole point"...is unreasonable and...well, we'll stick with unreasonable.

Bret had to use 9 true freshmen on our 2 deep in his first year. Most of them starting. That...is almost half a team of "just out of high school a few weeks ago"....playing in the NFL-Lite conference known as the SEC.

That situation....SHOULD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED....either. And wonder-Bobby did it to us.

So count that, too.

I agree with the "Never should have happened" part of your post, but I disagree on the cause of it. It's true that Bret had to play that many freshman on the 2 deep his first year but that happened because the offense he ran is the exact opposite of the offense that the players he inherited were recruited to run. Hiring Bret was like trying to put a square peg into a round hole. Bret was put in a bad position and the program continues to struggle because of it.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

EastexHawg

Quote from: wildhogman on May 23, 2017, 12:41:31 am
Quote from: hawgon on May 22, 2017, 01:12:50 pm

I know the usual suspects will say that you should not count his first year.  So, take that out and he is at 7.3.  But then again if you take out Nutt's two year pass, he is at 8.25.  And if you take out Petrino's first then he is at 9.3.
You two going on about Bobby.  Tell me, how did he do with a hiesman winning QB last year?  Did he finish the year as strong as he started? Did he get that elusive 10 win season?  Did he manage to win any games against any SEC opponent? How in heck does THAT team lose to UK?     UK scored 41 points????????? UK!!.  Then LSU smokes them like a cheap cigar. With mumbly peg orgeron for coach.  Zero National championships. One BCS bowl victory over an OU team(not sure but if memory serves that was an OU team expecting to play for a MNC,Not in 'an also ran" Game). Sounds to me like another coach from Arkansas.  Rise up to beat a giant and then lay eggs in a game they should dominate. Ofcourse CBP never beat his giant when it matterd to get into a BCS or Playoff game(ok one time, he beat LSU, so we could lose to the buckeyes). let me see,, what else did the mighty petrino do?   I am shocked,, SHOCKED that Bama hasn't built a statue of petrino next to the bear.

That was magnificent.  If I'm ever facing the death penalty I want you giving my final argument to the jury.

PonderinHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 23, 2017, 09:35:45 am
That was magnificent.  If I'm ever facing the death penalty I want you giving my final argument to the jury.
Has Bielema WON a BCS bowl game?

LR54

At this point, I don't think we're covering any new ground here. Attempting to compare situations that aren't directly comparable is a fool's game.

In today's "What have you done for me lately" world of CFB, W-L average records, what happened 3 and 4 years ago, what some former coach did 6 and 7 years ago, don't really matter.

What matters is the state of the program TODAY, and it's potential going forward. If that wasn't true, Chizik, Miles, Richt, etc., would still have their jobs.

Dabo Swinney wouldn't have survived his 3rd year, the first losing season in 12 years at Clemson. Or his 4th year when he had the worst bowl loss in the 109 year history of NCAA bowl games. But his AD understood how the program was being built and recognized the potential for future success.

IMO, CBB hasn't had a competitiveness problem as much as a consistency problem. Which is usually caused by a depth problem. Most reasonably informed folks know this was an issue when CBB arrived. It takes time to fix that.

Since progress isn't always linear, was last season's step back just an anomaly or a trend? That's the question most of us want answered. 

Al Boarland

Quote from: LR54 on May 23, 2017, 11:34:54 am
Which is usually caused by a depth problem. Most reasonably informed folks know this was an issue when CBB arrived. It takes time to fix that.

Is it fixable?  It would take some sort of concerted effort to make more elite players come out of Arkansas HS football.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 23, 2017, 12:02:15 pm
Is it fixable?  It would take some sort of concerted effort to make more elite players come out of Arkansas HS football.

Having more and better developed talent come out of Arkansas HS's is certainly something that would help a great deal and while the Staff can meet with HS coaches and work with them in clinics, there isn't a great deal that the Staff can do to help improve Arkansas HS football. And, not many HS's in Arkansas (just what I have read on here from other people) run an offense like that of the Hogs. That's why working and developing recruiting areas outside the state lines is so vital for us and more vital in many ways, than a lot of our SEC brethren who have much larger recruiting bases within their own states. So no, probably not fixable from the standpoint of the football Staff.
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 23, 2017, 12:15:10 pm
Having more and better developed talent come out of Arkansas HS's is certainly something that would help a great deal and while the Staff can meet with HS coaches and work with them in clinics, there isn't a great deal that the Staff can do to help improve Arkansas HS football. And, not many HS's in Arkansas (just what I have read on here from other people) run an offense like that of the Hogs. That's why working and developing recruiting areas outside the state lines is so vital for us and more vital in many ways, than a lot of our SEC brethren who have much larger recruiting bases within their own states. So no, probably not fixable from the standpoint of the football Staff.

The there isn't a realistic timeline.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 23, 2017, 12:25:13 pm
The there isn't a realistic timeline.

If you mean that there isn't a realistic time frame for making Arkansas HS football better and to turn out more P-5 level players (that is within the control of the University and Staff), I agree and I think that is what I said.
Go Hogs Go!

LR54

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 23, 2017, 12:02:15 pm

Now you understand the Hog's recruiting disadvantage. You have to rely on out of state recruiting to fill a roster. But what reason do they have to come here over other closer P-5 schools?

That's why CBB's strategy of marketing Arkansas nationally as a destination school for OL, RB, and TE positions could work. It's a good way for CBB to capitalize on his reputation for putting those positions in the NFL. And the Razorback's reputation as RB-U.

If that can be solidified, then you become attractive to pro-style QBs and WRs that want to learn to play in a pro-style offense.

At the same time you can start selling the benefits of playing with a pro-style offense to defensive players. It's a building block approach that takes longer, but has the chance to be more successful and sustainable over the long term.

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 23, 2017, 12:34:02 pm
If you mean that there isn't a realistic time frame for making Arkansas HS football better and to turn out more P-5 level players (that is within the control of the University and Staff), I agree and I think that is what I said.

There isn't a realistic timeline to build the kind of quality depth needed to build a consistent program.

Al Boarland

Quote from: LR54 on May 23, 2017, 12:35:23 pm
Now you understand the Hog's recruiting disadvantage. You have to rely on out of state recruiting to fill a roster. But what reason do they have to come here over other closer P-5 schools?

That's why CBB's strategy of marketing Arkansas nationally as a destination school for OL, RB, and TE positions could work. It's a good way for CBB to capitalize on his reputation for putting those positions in the NFL. And the Razorback's reputation as RB-U.

If that can be solidified, then you become attractive to pro-style QBs and WRs that want to learn to play in a pro-style offense.

At the same time you can start selling the benefits of playing with a pro-style offense to defensive players. It's a building block approach that takes longer, but has the chance to be more successful and sustainable over the long term.

First, I'm the poster that brings up talent more than anyone. Second, no one outside of Hogville mentions the UofA in the conversation of RBU. We've had some outstanding backfields, but we aren't in the conversation for that title.

I'm all for whatever we can do to try to get guys on the squad. Any marketing campaign they can come up with that brings in talent. However, you would be seeing it on the recruiting trail right now. It's not there. The win column needs to be stacked up and it's not.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 23, 2017, 12:57:25 pm
First, I'm the poster that brings up talent more than anyone. Second, no one outside of Hogville mentions the UofA in the conversation of RBU. We've had some outstanding backfields, but we aren't in the conversation for that title.

I'm all for whatever we can do to try to get guys on the squad. Any marketing campaign they can come up with that brings in talent. However, you would be seeing it on the recruiting trail right now. It's not there. The win column needs to be stacked up and it's not.

http://collegefootball.blog.ajc.com/2014/06/17/espn-arkansas-is-new-running-back-u/

http://www.arkansasfight.com/2014/6/17/5817778/espn-names-arkansas-running-back-u-2000s-razorbacks-darren-mcfadden-knile-davis
Go Hogs Go!

LR54

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/84311/position-u-running-backs

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/190537/devwah-whaley

factchecker

When ESPN gives the title of RBU to the Razorbacks and you say only hogville makes that claim you go from being a "realist" to straight up hating the Razorbacks.

I really don't understand our "fans".  Bama and other schools have no problem claiming 100 fictional national titles but a portion of our fans won't claim the single one we won in 1964.  ESPN names us RBU and our "fans" say we aren't in the conversation.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Al Boarland

Quote from: factchecker on May 23, 2017, 01:07:21 pm
When ESPN gives the title of RBU to the Razorbacks and you say only hogville makes that claim you go from being a "realist" to straight up hating the Razorbacks.

I really don't understand our "fans".  Bama and other schools have no problem claiming 100 fictional national titles but a portion of our fans won't claim the single one we won in 1964.  ESPN names us RBU and our "fans" say we aren't in the conversation.

I guess you missed the part about using whatever marketing campaign works...

factchecker

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 23, 2017, 01:10:31 pm
Who really deserves to claim the title of "Running Back U" for the 2000s?

Fair enough.  Good find.  David Ching coming through in the clutch.

It's ok to be a fan.  It's ok to take whatever good publication comes our way and not dismiss the article because it doesn't fit your agenda.  David Ching isn't a "koolaid drinking homer media spinster" that you realists vilify.  He used an unbiased methodology to give us a valuable claim at being RBU.  Why wouldn't we take the positive publicity?

Too many "sports fans" who try to be unbiased in our fanbase not enough diehards.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Wildhog

Honestly, I think we have a pretty legitimate case as TE-U in the Bielema era.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

factchecker

Quote from: Wildhog on May 23, 2017, 01:17:34 pm
Honestly, I think we have a pretty legitimate case as TE-U in the Bielema era.

You could even go back to when Petrino was here.

D.J. Williams
Chris Gragg
Hunter Henry
A.J. Derby
Jeremy Sprinkle

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Wildhog

Quote from: factchecker on May 23, 2017, 01:19:54 pm
You could even go back to when Petrino was here.

D.J. Williams
Chris Gragg
Hunter Henry
A.J. Derby
Jeremy Sprinkle

Yep.  Generally speaking, if you're a starting TE at Arkansas, you're going to the league.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Al Boarland

Quote from: factchecker on May 23, 2017, 01:13:18 pm
It's ok to be a fan.  It's ok to take whatever good publication comes our way and not dismiss the article because it doesn't fit your agenda.  David Ching isn't a "koolaid drinking homer media spinster" that you realists vilify.  He used an unbiased methodology to give us a valuable claim at being RBU.  Why wouldn't we take the positive publicity?

Too many "sports fans" who try to be unbiased in our fanbase not enough diehards.

I stated it was a good find. Ching did a great job with the data.

factchecker

Quote from: Wildhog on May 23, 2017, 01:22:59 pm
Yep.  Generally speaking, if you're a starting TE at Arkansas, you're going to the league.

Hell, if you play tight end at Arkansas you might be picked up as an undrafted free agent then end up a pro-bowl offensive lineman.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Wildhog

Quote from: factchecker on May 23, 2017, 01:32:11 pm
Hell, if you play tight end at Arkansas you might be picked up as an undrafted free agent then end up a pro-bowl offensive lineman.

Haha, fact.
1909/1964/1965/1977

factchecker

I hope Sprinkle has just as much success as Hunter had his first season:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PonderinHog

Quote from: factchecker on May 23, 2017, 01:32:11 pm
Just think.  We almost had Ryan Mallett as a tight end.  If he had only seen his true putenshul.

factchecker

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 23, 2017, 02:03:13 pm
Just think.  We almost had Ryan Mallett as a tight end.  If he had only seen his true putenshul.

Mallett was a big quarterback but I have no clue why any coach would want to put him at tight end.  He was not very athletic and you basically waste the biggest arm on your team.

A.J. Derby, on the other hand, should have moved to tight end sooner:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: factchecker on May 23, 2017, 02:08:37 pm
Mallett was a big quarterback but I have no clue why any coach would want to put him at tight end.  He was not very athletic and you basically waste the biggest arm on your team.

A.J. Derby, on the other hand, should have moved to tight end sooner:

Well it wasn't for lack of trying to get him to move.
Go Hogs Go!

wildhogman

Quote from: hawgon on May 23, 2017, 07:06:56 am
At this point in his career, BB has one fewer win than Danny Ford did at the four year mark.
yes and the fans screamed loud and long. A change was made, and walaa, I give you one "the Nutt, awe inspiring in his buffoonery".  Ever stop to think what might have been if Ford got one more year?  What if he was coach in 98. Doubt we do as good cause well Ford aint no Nutt. Gotta have a Nutt to have a special season. HOWEVER, Ford could recruit, and so even if he gets the boot after 98, that's one more year of his recruits, and possibly Tubberville comes to town when he was still a hot coach. No Nutt. No Motorcycle gate. No smiley just smiling.
Sometimes its just not good to give the children what they want, even though it looks so tempting

wildhogman

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 23, 2017, 09:35:45 am
If you can supply facts for your defense as I have supplied facts. I have no problem with defending you at all. 

hawgon

Quote from: wildhogman on May 23, 2017, 06:29:10 pm
yes and the fans screamed loud and long. A change was made, and walaa, I give you one "the Nutt, awe inspiring in his buffoonery".  Ever stop to think what might have been if Ford got one more year?  What if he was coach in 98. Doubt we do as good cause well Ford aint no Nutt. Gotta have a Nutt to have a special season. HOWEVER, Ford could recruit, and so even if he gets the boot after 98, that's one more year of his recruits, and possibly Tubberville comes to town when he was still a hot coach. No Nutt. No Motorcycle gate. No smiley just smiling.
Sometimes its just not good to give the children what they want, even though it looks so tempting

If BB goes 4-7 two years in a row like Ford did, shut down the program if he doesn't get fired.

wildhogman

Quote from: hawgon on May 23, 2017, 06:34:53 pm
If BB goes 4-7 two years in a row like Ford did, shut down the program if he doesn't get fired.
Yeah you would say that. I bet your fun to play poker with.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: hawgon on May 23, 2017, 06:34:53 pm

Ford was on the cusp of something special and got canned too soon. Thank goodness CBB's boss is wiser than the old man that jumped the railing in disgust when Mustain began slinging the ball all over the place late in that USC loss at home.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

hawgon

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 23, 2017, 06:45:46 pm
Ford was on the cusp of something special and got canned too soon. Thank goodness CBB's boss is wiser than the old man that jumped the railing in disgust when Mustain began slinging the ball all over the place late in that USC loss at home.

It is easy to say that now, but Ford was a disinterested drunk who couldn't even remember the players' names on his show while he was at Arkansas.  Yeah, in hindsight maybe it would have been better if he had gotten another year, but no thinking person can fault the decision to fire him.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: hawgon on May 23, 2017, 06:51:46 pm
It is easy to say that now, but Ford was a disinterested drunk who couldn't even remember the players' names on his show while he was at Arkansas.  Yeah, in hindsight maybe it would have been better if he had gotten another year, but no thinking person can fault the decision to fire him.

In hindsight, no thinking man would agree to his next hire. Compare the resume's of Nutt and Bielema. Who do you think performed more due diligence?

HamSammich

Quote from: wildhogman on May 23, 2017, 06:29:10 pm

History will repeat.... CBB has recruited as well as Ford and some schmuck will reap the rewards.

LZH

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 23, 2017, 06:45:46 pm

Ford had all but lost the team and I'm certain he was not gonna turn anything around had he gotten one more year.

hawgon

You know you've hit rock bottom in defending a coach, when you down to using Danny Ford's tenure at Arkansas.

PonderinHog

Quote from: hawgon on May 23, 2017, 07:51:34 pm
You know you've hit rock bottom in defending a coach, when you down to using Danny Ford's tenure at Arkansas.
Hey now, he beat Bama!

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 23, 2017, 06:54:45 pm
In hindsight, no thinking man would agree to his next hire. Compare the resume's of Nutt and Bielema. Who do you think performed more due diligence?

Broyles didn't decide to hire Nutt, the "committee" did.  The one appointed by a pointy headed academician who envisioned turning Arkansas into the "Harvard of the South".  A guy who understood as much about Arkansas and SEC football as a coffee table does.

Hmmm...this is starting to sound familiar.

hawgon

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 23, 2017, 08:21:54 pm
Broyles didn't decide to hire Nutt, the "committee" did.  The one appointed by a pointy headed academician who envisioned turning Arkansas into the "Harvard of the South".  A guy who understood as much about Arkansas and SEC football as a coffee table does.

Guess who was John White's last hire?

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: hawgon on May 23, 2017, 07:51:34 pm

CBB is here until Long says otherwise. Take a number and have a seat because your wait is going to be a few years.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 23, 2017, 08:21:54 pm

Quinn Grovey as the committee? I'm fully aware.

BigE_23

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 23, 2017, 09:07:36 pm
So, in other words, you like pissing into the wind while screaming "I'M GETTING WET!" Got it.

Nice try, but the more you post the more you prove what everyone on here already knows about you.

Anyway, since you like cute little quotes, I've got one for you - "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: BigE_23 on May 23, 2017, 09:42:39 pm
Nice try, but the more you post the more you prove what everyone on here already knows about you.

Anyway, since you like cute little quotes, I've got one for you - "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Not going to keep my mouth closed. Not trying to impress anyone here. And don't give a flip what anyone here thinks about me. Just like you, I am anonymous.

So grow up, boy. This is all immaterial.

BigE_23

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 23, 2017, 09:49:42 pm
Not going to keep my mouth closed. Not trying to impress anyone here. And don't give a flip what anyone here thinks about me. Just like you, I am anonymous.

So grow up, boy. This is all immaterial.

Something you never have to worry about, princess.