How Things Should Be

Started by 12247, December 13, 2017, 11:09:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterChiefHog

I had a tear in my eye reading this.
Quote from: oldman1015 on December 28, 2017, 11:40:00 am
Having a bad day or always a dick?
Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on December 06, 2019, 09:39:55 am
Sorry fo any misspells or paragraph s. I m on a scaffold.
Quote from: Hogwild on October 18, 2018, 08:23:47 amSince we are being optimistic, let's go full tilt boogie! If we win out, Ole Miss wins out, and Bama loses out. Then all we need is Miss. State to win against LSU & Texas A&M, and then have the Aggies upset LSU. 
And then we are hanging an SEC WEST Champion banner.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: 12247 on December 13, 2017, 11:09:35 am
Tulsa, World in todays edition:::::Previous to this week, David Alexander, the HC of the largest Highschool in Oklahoma, Broken Arrow, had seen an Arkansas assistant coach twice during his 4 years at Broken Arrow.  On Monday, Arkansas staff member, Mark Smith was in Alexander's office, just 5 days after Morris was hired.  From BA, Smith drove to Union Highschool and visited with HC Kirk Fridrich.  On Monday night, Smith was in the home of Owasso DE, Courtre Alexander.  On Tuesday, Smith went to Jenks Highschool and then to Booker T. Washington Highschool to see HC Brad Calip.  It appears the plan was/is to visit every Highschool in the Tulsa area that produces Talented Football Players

In case you didn't know, Chad Morris took over as OC from Gus at Tulsa University in 2010 and provided a #5 rated offense in yards and #6 in scoring.  Article goes on to say Morris elevated SMU offensively from dismal to dynamic.

Article says Morris has many recruiting ties in Texas.  Within Bielema's 4 recruiting classes, he picked up 15 Highschool Texans.  Thirty years ago, the Dallas Morning News would publish the lists of elite prospects in Texas and and a significant percentage of those players listed Arkansas as a possible destination.

Morris stated that our recruiting heelmark would be in Arkansas and the remaining footprint would be Texas, Louisana, Oklahoma and surrounding states. 

The Broken Arrow HC noted that he knew Chad Morris from the Tulsa era because his son was at Tulsa during that time. Coach Alexander said during an open recruiting periods, youve got to put a 100,000 miles on your car.  I assume that is a little hyperbole.  However, I remember in 2016 about this time, someone noted that Bret had 30,000 miles in the air this recruiting season and they thought that was tremendous.  I happen to know a 71 year old business owner that has businesses in several countries that does that many air miles in two weeks.

Basically, the article indicates that the staff at Arkansas realize how important relationships can be at the Highschool level with the coaching staffs and above all else, this staff appears willing to actually work their rears off.

Tulsa is closer to UofA than they are to Norman.  We should find 2 or 3 or more Oklahoma Kids annually who want to be Hogs in my opinion.  I readily understand that just working hard cannot guarantee winning success, but it certainly is one important aspect of the overall project.
I understand that Oklahoma doesn't produce a lot of SEC quality talent, but if the previous staff wasn't visiting Broken Arrow, Owasso, Jenks, Booker T. and Muskogee then there was a problem.

Michael D Huff AIA

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/RecruitRankings?State=OK

Look at all the recruits coming out of NE Oklahoma that are going to college farther away than Fayetteville.

hogsmash12

Quote from: porque on December 13, 2017, 11:17:32 am
That's ridiculous that we only had a coach in the Broken Arrow coach's office twice in four years.

That makes me sick...does the heart good to see our staff mending fences there

I remind that Broken Arrow was pitiful until the past couple of years.  But overall, Oklahoma is even better that i thought.  I note GA and K. St. picked up a couple that I bet we would have liked.  Don't know the circumstances but I do know that Arkansas needs a real relationship with the schools around here.  These folks play good football over here.  Even the smaller schools have a few decent players on occasion.  And I am serious, we used to be #2 right behind OU in selecting players from Oklahoma.   We need to make our presence felt in Eastern OK.  We are the biggest school near many of those players.

Basically its a fact that if the HC of any particular highschool likes you, you are far more likely to have access to his players and he is more likely to tout your school.

And i disagree that Coach Alexander was whining about past coaches at Arkansas.  Telling the fricking truth is not whining. 

RedRock

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 13, 2017, 11:14:46 am
Great post!

Alexander has spent time as a college coach somewhere. An OL coach or at least a GA.

Owasso is coached by Bill Blankenship (Fayetteville HS last year for a championship, but also at TU as HC and a year as advisor to Fuente at Memphis).

Lee Mayberry tweeted out to Courtre Alexander (Owasso recruit) to come join the hog family, and something about needing more NE OK players at UA. Mayberry is still a very influential person in Tulsa. So is the family of Felix Jones.

Thank you for sharing, Oklahawg.  This is really good insight.

elksnort

How many SEC quality talented players come out of the Tulsa metro area per year?

thebignasty

Emphasize Tulsa and there is pretty decent chance Arkansas gets Josh Jacobs, currently an Alabama RB.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

Hogtimes

December 13, 2017, 09:18:24 pm #59 Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 09:31:51 pm by Hogtimes
Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on December 13, 2017, 04:53:09 pm

Look at all the recruits coming out of NE Oklahoma that are going to college farther away than Fayetteville.

Proctor, has been a  a lock for Ohio State  from day one.  Condon grew up in Georgia and only recently moved to Oklahoma and is now returning to his home state.    IMO Thompson is  a marginal SEC quality player.   Other wise I do not think  there is  a player on that list going out of state that we would want.

Hogtimes

Quote from: elksnort on December 13, 2017, 09:11:59 pm
How many SEC quality talented players come out of the Tulsa metro area per year?

Not as many as you might think and those that are have usually grown up OU or OSU fans

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: elksnort on December 13, 2017, 09:11:59 pm

This year, it looks like a couple of 4* and about five or so 3* that are SEC quality. Enough we should be able to grab a couple. OU won't take them all. One of the 4* is committed to Ohio State.

elksnort

HardCore

Quote from: TebowHater on December 13, 2017, 11:37:12 am
Owasso is also where Keon Hatcher was from (Petrino recruit).

Owasso won the state championship in OK this year
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 12247 on December 13, 2017, 11:09:35 am
Tulsa, World in todays edition:::::Previous to this week, David Alexander, the HC of the largest Highschool in Oklahoma, Broken Arrow, had seen an Arkansas assistant coach twice during his 4 years at Broken Arrow.  On Monday, Arkansas staff member, Mark Smith was in Alexander's office, just 5 days after Morris was hired.  From BA, Smith drove to Union Highschool and visited with HC Kirk Fridrich.  On Monday night, Smith was in the home of Owasso DE, Courtre Alexander.  On Tuesday, Smith went to Jenks Highschool and then to Booker T. Washington Highschool to see HC Brad Calip.  It appears the plan was/is to visit every Highschool in the Tulsa area that produces Talented Football Players

In case you didn't know, Chad Morris took over as OC from Gus at Tulsa University in 2010 and provided a #5 rated offense in yards and #6 in scoring.  Article goes on to say Morris elevated SMU offensively from dismal to dynamic.

Article says Morris has many recruiting ties in Texas.  Within Bielema's 4 recruiting classes, he picked up 15 Highschool Texans.  Thirty years ago, the Dallas Morning News would publish the lists of elite prospects in Texas and and a significant percentage of those players listed Arkansas as a possible destination.

Morris stated that our recruiting heelmark would be in Arkansas and the remaining footprint would be Texas, Louisana, Oklahoma and surrounding states. 

The Broken Arrow HC noted that he knew Chad Morris from the Tulsa era because his son was at Tulsa during that time. Coach Alexander said during an open recruiting periods, youve got to put a 100,000 miles on your car.  I assume that is a little hyperbole.  However, I remember in 2016 about this time, someone noted that Bret had 30,000 miles in the air this recruiting season and they thought that was tremendous.  I happen to know a 71 year old business owner that has businesses in several countries that does that many air miles in two weeks.

Basically, the article indicates that the staff at Arkansas realize how important relationships can be at the Highschool level with the coaching staffs and above all else, this staff appears willing to actually work their rears off.

Tulsa is closer to UofA than they are to Norman.  We should find 2 or 3 or more Oklahoma Kids annually who want to be Hogs in my opinion.  I readily understand that just working hard cannot guarantee winning success, but it certainly is one important aspect of the overall project.

I think you forgot to quote the article.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/sportsextralatest/bill-haisten-with-chad-morris-razorbacks-reestablish-tulsa-as-a/article_6f6777f3-786c-50fb-8cec-cdcd88e418d4.html

And more from that article:

"Our heel mark will be the state of Arkansas," Morris said last week. "The rest of our footprint will grow right into Texas and into the surrounding states of Louisiana and Oklahoma."

Oklahoma, yes, and Tulsa most specifically.

Morris, Smith and other Arkansas staff members are hustling because of the advent of the early signing date. Instead of waiting until February, recruits have the option of signing national letters of intent on Dec. 20.

"I know coach Morris. He was (at TU) when my son was there," Alexander said. "The reputation is that coach Morris is a tireless worker, and that's what it takes. When it's an open-recruiting period, like now, you've got to put 100,000 miles on your car."

When Smith left Broken Arrow, he possessed a list of all Tiger prospects and their contact information and Hudl links. He already was familiar with Andrew Raym, the highly regarded Tiger sophomore offensive tackle who ultimately should get about a thousand scholarship offers.

"(Smith) said he will call me at the end of this week," Alexander said. "It's all about building relationships and networking. After that relationship is built, he might call sometime and ask about my opinion of players on other teams. That's how you get kids."
Go Hogs Go!

I wasn't trying to quote the article, Muskogee, intentionally.  I summarized so as not to screw up a quoted portion.  Was this wrong to do?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 12247 on December 16, 2017, 02:55:30 pm
I wasn't trying to quote the article, Muskogee, intentionally.  I summarized so as not to screw up a quoted portion.  Was this wrong to do?

That content belongs to them so when you quote their information you also need to post a link to their article. It's just a good idea to do that and then it also gives everyone else the opportunity to read the article you cited and draw their own conclusions.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogtimes

Quote from: Occams Razorback on December 13, 2017, 01:59:18 pm
I like the fact we will be playing TU soon - wish we would play them home and away - OU has done so and there's little reason not to in my opinion

Tulsa has a 25,000 seat stadium....where would we sit

factchecker

Quote from: Hogtimes on December 16, 2017, 07:07:10 pm

The stadium would be a sea of red.

Tulsa fans would make bank on the secondary market.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

OK Muskogee.  Try to remember that.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Hogtimes on December 16, 2017, 07:07:10 pm

Full for the Tulsa Union-Owasso 6A CG, can you imagine UA playing there?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Beached

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 13, 2017, 02:58:31 pm
We are in the feel good honeymoon stage. These types are stories are great.  Better win or the narrative will change to why are our coaches wasting time at schools with no SEC level players?

You're right... if he's not careful he'll end up doing almost as bad as Bert.

How about we give the guy a chance.  Unlike Bert he actually has a track record of IMPROVING places.

Not to mention The Chad has yet to come across as a fat, lazy slob. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Occams Razorback on December 13, 2017, 01:59:18 pm
I like the fact we will be playing TU soon - wish we would play them home and away - OU has done so and there's little reason not to in my opinion

We used to play them it seemed like almost every year. IIRC Tulsa wanted a home and home and we didn't so they quit playing.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on December 13, 2017, 02:56:13 pm
BA is alot like Bentonville, good teams, good players, good facilities, but not terribly demographically diverse.

It is basically a suburb of Tulsa. MOST suburbs are not very diverse demographically. That doesn't mean there never are good players from suburbs. I know of a suburb of a major US city that is about 88% white and only about 2% black. Yet our top rated pro prospect is from there. Chanhassen, MN. A suburb of Minneapolis/St. Paul. We need good players period. I don't care if they have to go to Alaska to get one. But to not focus on your own backyard so to speak is not a good strategy. When we were better we had good players from Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma and other states close by. It is stupid to not emphasize some recruiting relationships in the largest metro area closest to you school.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogtimes on December 13, 2017, 09:18:24 pm
Proctor, has been a  a lock for Ohio State  from day one.  Condon grew up in Georgia and only recently moved to Oklahoma and is now returning to his home state.    IMO Thompson is  a marginal SEC quality player.   Other wise I do not think  there is  a player on that list going out of state that we would want.

People moving is one factor to be considered. Having family ties to Arkansas the state and school can be important. Quite a few players go "back home" so to speak to play.

hogsanity

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on December 13, 2017, 04:53:09 pm

of the 1st 25 kids on that list 22 of them are either committed to or leaning to either in state schools, big12 schools or non-p5 schools. The only 3 committed to out of state non big 12 schools are 1 to ohio st, one to Ga, and one to memphis.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

Good news for the Hogs.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

oldhawg

Wonder if Arkansas could/would work a three for one deal with Tulsa to keep them on the schedule year in and year out (as use to be). Every fourth year play in Tulsa.

Tulsa was always an early game, and for me became the barometer for predicting what kind of season the Razorbacks would have.

hogsanity

Quote from: oldhawg on December 18, 2017, 08:41:01 am
Wonder if Arkansas could/would work a three for one deal with Tulsa to keep them on the schedule year in and year out (as use to be). Every fourth year play in Tulsa.

Tulsa was always an early game, and for me became the barometer for predicting what kind of season the Razorbacks would have.

Wonder if we could just put the old swc back together while we are at, seems like that would make a lot of hog fans happy.

Some of you put WAAAAAYYYYY too much emphasis on playing in particular places to help recruiting.

What is funny about that is many are the same people that say location does not matter as far as recruiting.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

oldhawg

December 18, 2017, 09:12:08 am #79 Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:28:22 am by oldhawg
Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 08:44:01 am
Wonder if we could just put the old swc back together while we are at, seems like that would make a lot of hog fans happy.

Some of you put WAAAAAYYYYY too much emphasis on playing in particular places to help recruiting.

What is funny about that is many are the same people that say location does not matter as far as recruiting.

Believe me, not interested and have not been interested in the SWC long before Arkansas left for the SEC. 

Most may not remember, but several years before becoming an SEC member, when the SWC and Big Eight were still viable, Frank Broyles publicly floated the thought that Arkansas would be an excellent choice to replace Kansas (or maybe it was Kansas State) in the Big Eight because that program was so abysmal at the time.  Frank caught Holy Hell for suggesting such a thing and quickly issued a public apology to the offended parties.  I for one was elated that such a move was even contemplated, it seemed like a much better fit at the time for the Razorbacks.

Admittedly, the announcement of the move to the SEC caught me totally by surprise, and it was indeed Broyles foresight and influence that brought it about.  Again a move that I was happy to see. 

Other than a presence for recruiting, I saw little advantage to being Texas's lapdog (as Oklahoma is today).     

Hugo Bezdek

No reason to go back to the SWC, but moving to the SEC didn't change where we sit on the map. We're still west of the Mississippi. We still border the same states and metro areas we always bordered. That means we need to take a long hard look at where we've been trying to find recruits that will come to Arkansas. There's a load of talent in the region we live in and getting those kids to the Hill is much more likely than the kids that live in the Eastern time zone.

oldhawg

But to your issue of recruiting.  IMO Arkansas is not a program that can recruit on name recognition as some of the most successful programs.  I believe that for the Razorbacks to elevate their recruiting success they have to become more focused regionally, and do a better job of building long term relationships with high school coaches and players. 

Again IMO that focus should be directed towards Texas and other states surrounding Arkansas, and becoming a familiar, predominant, attractive option for high school athletes in the focus area.  I also believe that playing games against teams in the focus area can only positively affect recruiting results ---- has nothing to do with SWC or "wanting to return to the past."  It has everything to do with moving forward successfully as a football program. 

Oklahoma has a lifetime history of success using this approach in recruiting.  Arkansas can develop similar connections in recruiting, and experience similar results. Or the Razorbacks can be happy with being a Kansas or Kansas State of the SEC.

bphi11ips

Quote from: oldhawg on December 18, 2017, 09:26:49 am
But to your issue of recruiting.  IMO Arkansas is not a program that can recruit on name recognition as some of the most successful programs.  I believe that for the Razorbacks to elevate their recruiting success they have to become more focused regionally, and do a better job of building long term relationships with high school coaches and players. 

Again IMO that focus should be directed towards Texas and other states surrounding Arkansas, and becoming a familiar, predominant, attractive option for high school athletes in the focus area.  I also believe that playing games against teams in the focus area can only positively affect recruiting results ---- has nothing to do with SWC or "wanting to return to the past."  It has everything to do with moving forward successfully as a football program. 

Oklahoma has a lifetime history of success using this approach in recruiting.  Arkansas can develop similar connections in recruiting, and experience similar results. Or the Razorbacks can be happy with being a Kansas or Kansas State of the SEC.

We're old.  Old people are stupid.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Chorizo Hogriguez

hogsanity

Quote from: oldhawg on December 18, 2017, 09:26:49 am

Again IMO that focus should be directed towards Texas and other states surrounding Arkansas,

I agree with that, but many here think just recruit Arkansas and Texas only.

As far as playing in these areas, we play in MS, we play in LA every other year, we play in TX every year. We are playing Tulsa. We play in Mo every other year. There are only so many games to go around.

oldhawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 18, 2017, 09:36:28 am
We're old.  Old people are stupid.

Bet I am older than you.   Guess that makes me more stupidier.  :)  But still a Razorback fan.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 10:09:52 am

As far as playing in these areas, we play in MS, we play in LA every other year, we play in TX every year. We are playing Tulsa. We play in Mo every other year. There are only so many games to go around.

I'll be shocked if you can find a single post where someone said we should only recruit Texas and Arkansas.

bphi11ips

Quote from: oldhawg on December 18, 2017, 10:45:42 am
Bet I am older than you.   Guess that makes me more stupidier.  :)  But still a Razorback fan.

I'm not as old as I feel sometimes. 

oldhawg

Re: Out of conference games.
Instead of Toledo, Eastern Michigan, Florida A&M (or whomever the Razorbacks played this past year) I would prefer to see an OOC with a much more regional flavor consisting of some of the following school:

Tulsa
Memphis
Southern Mississippi
North Texas University
Louisiana Monroe
Louisiana Tech
Oklahoma State
Missouri State University
TCU
SMU
Rice
(NOTE: Texas schools are not because I miss or the SWC, its because they are in what should be IMO the focused recruiting areas).

And to add a little national flavor, one of the following (perhaps on a rotating basis):
Naval Academy
West Point
Air Force Academy
(NOTE: these would have a greater viewing audience on TV than Eastern Michigan, Toledo, etc.)

IMO.

ps. Maybe I should add Arkansas State to the list?

I would offer that the Tulsa, OK area and Eastern Oklahoma in general, likely produces as many or more players that could play and produce for Arkansas as about any area of that size in America.  You must consider, where could we look and do better.

For example:  Dallas metro has 7.233 million population and Tulsa has .962 million.
If we could only get 1 three star out of Tulsa annually, we would need 7 three star players from the Dallas area, or 6 from Houston or 2 from Kansas City or 3 from Saint Louis or 1.5 from Memphis.  Memphis might rival Tulsa in production versus size, the others do not.  Of course we cannot survive on 1 three star from a location near us.  Petrino proved you can get more than the 1 player annually out of the Tulsa area.  I do know this.  If Arkansas had their choice of all the division one players in the Tulsa area every year, and based on our history in recruiting, we would end up with 7 to 10 players annually from Eastern Oklahoma.  We do not have that choice, but staying involved in a location so near us is not optional, its mandatory.

Hoggish1

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 13, 2017, 11:19:20 am
Tulsa is a metropolitan area with 1,000,000 residents and is closer to Fayetteville than Little Rock.

And it's an easy, pleasant trip to get here from there.  What's not to like about Tulsa?!

Pudgepork

I'd love to get a Felix Jones (tulsa) every recruiting class

Hogtimes

Quote from: oldhawg on December 18, 2017, 09:12:08 am
Believe me, not interested and have not been interested in the SWC long before Arkansas left for the SEC. 

Most may not remember, but several years before becoming an SEC member, when the SWC and Big Eight were still viable, Frank Broyles publicly floated the thought that Arkansas would be an excellent choice to replace Kansas (or maybe it was Kansas State) in the Big Eight because that program was so abysmal at the time.  Frank caught Holy Hell for suggesting such a thing and quickly issued a public apology to the offended parties.  I for one was elated that such a move was even contemplated, it seemed like a much better fit at the time for the Razorbacks.

Admittedly, the announcement of the move to the SEC caught me totally by surprise, and it was indeed Broyles foresight and influence that brought it about.  Again a move that I was happy to see. 

Other than a presence for recruiting, I saw little advantage to being Texas's lapdog (as Oklahoma is today).     

I very well remember Broyles trying to get UofA into theBig8.   I was living in Tulsa at the time and saw Broyles in a local tv interview talk about it.    He tried for several years, but the Big8 foolshily did not want to go to nine members.   Kansas State at the time was a horrible program....this was in the 70's early 80's and there was talk of KSU dropping out of the Big8.   I distinctly remember Broyles saying what it came down to was...... UofA would only get in if Kansas State dropped out. Which never happened ...then Snyder came along at KSU.

I remember when both Tulsa and Oakie St. would come play us at home often and we usually won those games.  We were positioned at that time to be second only to OU for Eastern Oklahoma recruits.  The Eastern Oklahoma pickings were much slimmer back then.

Inhogswetrust

Really? Many? I doubt it's many and also believe I've never seen post where someone said ONLY recruit Texas and Arkansas.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 08:20:35 am
of the 1st 25 kids on that list 22 of them are either committed to or leaning to either in state schools, big12 schools or non-p5 schools. The only 3 committed to out of state non big 12 schools are 1 to ohio st, one to Ga, and one to memphis.

I keep thinking about this kid from the 2016 recruiting class. He took two visits, only two. 1 to Missouri, 1 to Alabama. Both late in the fall of his Senior year.

Alabama offered him, Missouri offered him, Oklahoma offered him (no visit), same with Iowa State and Purdue. Beyond that he had offers to Missouri State, New Mexico State, N. Iowa and Wyoming. Okla State didn't offer, neither did TCU or Texas. Entirely absent from the list was Arkansas, 115 miles away and he committed late to Alabama, 631 miles from his hometown.

I know that we weren't the only ones who missed on this kid, but some coaches from some schools were clued in about this kid and that didn't come from just film. Looks like someone may have talked to his coaching staffs and the coaching staffs who had to face him his Senior year when he pretty well exploded on the scene. There is something to be said for staying in touch with HS Coaching staffs and that is one thing that this staff seems to have as their goal.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Josh-Jacobs-91468/RecruitInterests
Go Hogs Go!

wendellgee

Quote from: thebignasty on December 13, 2017, 09:17:22 pm
Emphasize Tulsa and there is pretty decent chance Arkansas gets Josh Jacobs, currently an Alabama RB.
Did we offer him? I remember him playing some as a freshman for Bama.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: wendellgee on December 18, 2017, 08:18:47 pm
Did we offer him? I remember him playing some as a freshman for Bama.

Read just above your post.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 18, 2017, 06:27:55 pm
I keep thinking about this kid from the 2016 recruiting class. He took two visits, only two. 1 to Missouri, 1 to Alabama. Both late in the fall of his Senior year.

Alabama offered him, Missouri offered him, Oklahoma offered him (no visit), same with Iowa State and Purdue. Beyond that he had offers to Missouri State, New Mexico State, N. Iowa and Wyoming. Okla State didn't offer, neither did TCU or Texas. Entirely absent from the list was Arkansas, 115 miles away and he committed late to Alabama, 631 miles from his hometown.

I know that we weren't the only ones who missed on this kid, but some coaches from some schools were clued in about this kid and that didn't come from just film. Looks like someone may have talked to his coaching staffs and the coaching staffs who had to face him his Senior year when he pretty well exploded on the scene. There is something to be said for staying in touch with HS Coaching staffs and that is one thing that this staff seems to have as their goal.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Josh-Jacobs-91468/RecruitInterests

There are plenty of Jacobs out there who dramatically improve their recruiting stock their senior year. Sometimes it's as simple as playing behind a star until they're a senior themselves.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 18, 2017, 08:29:40 pm
There are plenty of Jacobs out there who dramatically improve their recruiting stock their senior year. Sometimes it's as simple as playing behind a star until they're a senior themselves.

I think that his was a case of injuries when he was younger, but I'm not sure. Nonetheless, good reason to stay well connected to HS Coaching staffs who can alert you to someone like this.

Here's more on his story but that doesn't delve into previous seasons.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/sportsextralatest/bill-haisten-josh-jacobs-the-most-compelling-story-of-the/article_344c3655-aba8-502a-9925-6dede15881fd.html
Go Hogs Go!