Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are them longbeards sounding off yet?

Started by CFB_Fanatic, March 14, 2018, 12:04:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

CFB_Fanatic

I haven't been out to listen yet....too busy working. Are they gobbling or would I be wasting my time over spring break?

95_alum

Yes, they're gobbling. (Devil's Den vicinity)

CFB_Fanatic

Anyone else hearing any? Ive been out to my best spots from last year and nothing......I know the numbers are down but dang! Also have some buddies saying they aren't hearing much either in their respective areas. Just wanting to hear some encouraging news! Anyone??

oldman1015

Arkansas, the left lane state.

caneybuck

I've been out the last three mornings.  I heard two Friday.  One gobbled at daylight a few times and one stated up at about 8:00. He gobbled about 30 times before he went over the mountain and out of hearing. Yesterday I heard two that were really getting it. When I left they were still gobbling.  This morning I heard 4 at daylight but as soon as they flew down I never heard another peep....but I left pretty quick for church.  I've been seeing strutters with hens so I'd bet the first week of the season, at least, we'll have hens problems. Compared to last year the gobbling activity is down some but for the most part the weather has been the pits this year so hopefully that's keeping things quieter.

Also, I've gotten pics of a few jakes on my cameras this year so maybe we had somewhat of a hatch.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: caneybuck on April 01, 2018, 02:16:01 pm
I've been out the last three mornings.  I heard two Friday.  One gobbled at daylight a few times and one stated up at about 8:00. He gobbled about 30 times before he went over the mountain and out of hearing. Yesterday I heard two that were really getting it. When I left they were still gobbling.  This morning I heard 4 at daylight but as soon as they flew down I never heard another peep....but I left pretty quick for church.  I've been seeing strutters with hens so I'd bet the first week of the season, at least, we'll have hens problems. Compared to last year the gobbling activity is down some but for the most part the weather has been the pits this year so hopefully that's keeping things quieter.

Also, I've gotten pics of a few jakes on my cameras this year so maybe we had somewhat of a hatch.

Awesome man thanks for the info. You on public or private?

Ive went out a few more times on my public spots and have heard zilch. Also haven't heard any on my private lease, and there are always some across the road on the adjacent lease. I hear and see turkey all year long during deer season, but our lease floods during the spring every year and pushes the turkeys across the road, so I generally hunt public land.

The only turkey Ive heard this year was on Lake Greeson

caneybuck

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on April 02, 2018, 10:59:48 pm
Awesome man thanks for the info. You on public or private?

Ive went out a few more times on my public spots and have heard zilch. Also haven't heard any on my private lease, and there are always some across the road on the adjacent lease. I hear and see turkey all year long during deer season, but our lease floods during the spring every year and pushes the turkeys across the road, so I generally hunt public land.

The only turkey Ive heard this year was on Lake Greeson

I only hunt on public land.  Mostly national forest.  Good luck when the season opens!