Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 18, 2024, 08:34:02 pm

DC Hire: Let's Have an Open Mind

Started by Randy Beaver, January 09, 2018, 08:54:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy Beaver

This morning, my wife and I were having our morning coffee and bagel and discussing last night's championship game.  And I must say, what a great game.  It really got our juices flowing.  Anyway, my MIL Margaret came in and sat with us.  She started talking about the Arkansas defensive coordinator position and she was giving us some more details on how LSU was handling their OC hire.  She's kind of a closet LSU fan (purple is her favorite color). Before coming down for breakfast, she was reading some NCAA football news on her tablet.  She said that not only was LSU promoting Ensminger to OC from tight end coach, they are hiring 73 year old Jerrry Sullivan as co-OC and passing game coordinator.  I got blasted yesterday for even suggesting that Arkansas hire Monte Kiffin as defensive coordinator just because he is a little bit up there in years.  If a top level SEC program like LSU is open-minded enough to see value in Coach Sullivan, why can't our struggling program see value in a great commodity like Monte Kiffin??  He's only an analyst at Florida Atlantic.  Don't tell me he wouldn't leave there to be a DC in the SEC.  Having to deal with great coaches in the SEC west like Orgeron, Saban, and Fisher,  we need an experienced DC

Carbs in the morning are bad for you.

WOOPIGDOOIE

Hayduke

HawgTrough

Orgeron as a great coach is a nice touch, geauxmer
WPS

oldhawg

Quote from: Randy Beaver on January 09, 2018, 08:54:39 am
This morning, my wife and I were having our morning coffee and bagel and discussing last night's championship game.  And I must say, what a great game.  It really got our juices flowing.  Anyway, my MIL Margaret came in and sat with us.  She started talking about the Arkansas defensive coordinator position and she was giving us some more details on how LSU was handling their OC hire.  She's kind of a closet LSU fan (purple is her favorite color). Before coming down for breakfast, she was reading some NCAA football news on her tablet.  She said that not only was LSU promoting Ensminger to OC from tight end coach, they are hiring 73 year old Jerrry Sullivan as co-OC and passing game coordinator.  I got blasted yesterday for even suggesting that Arkansas hire Monte Kiffin as defensive coordinator just because he is a little bit up there in years.  If a top level SEC program like LSU is open-minded enough to see value in Coach Sullivan, why can't our struggling program see value in a great commodity like Monte Kiffin??  He's only an analyst at Florida Atlantic.  Don't tell me he wouldn't leave there to be a DC in the SEC.  Having to deal with great coaches in the SEC west like Orgeron, Saban, and Fisher,  we need an experienced DC

Monte's son Lane is head coach at FAU.  Monte does not need the money, could be that "blood is thicker than water" in this case.

Randy Beaver

Guess the decision to hire Chavis had already been made when I posted this morning.  Does anyone know the new
AD personally?  I would like to invite him to one our weekly NCAA football discussions.  We really have some good ideas that might interest him to improve the program. 

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: Randy Beaver on January 09, 2018, 10:45:21 am
Guess the decision to hire Chavis had already been made when I posted this morning.  Does anyone know the new
AD personally?  I would like to invite him to one our weekly NCAA football discussions.  We really have some good ideas that might interest him to improve the program.
They held at Applebees?

Randy Beaver

Yes they are.  Rotate around the NWA area to accomodate the different couples that attend.

HeathWimp

Hey Randy, you remind me of an old friend from high school.  His name was Orny Otter, do you know him by chance?
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

sickboy

Quote from: Karma on January 09, 2018, 08:55:16 am
Carbs in the morning are bad for you.

Depends on the carbs. Complex carbs are good for breakfast, especially if you want your engine running fast. I can't believe I made a post about complex carbs on an Arkansas sports message board.

Iwastherein1969

If Chavis does nothing else, he can get into any recruits house in order to sell Arkansas. All Chavis has to do is roll out the names of the players he's put in the NFL over the years and "poof !" Arkansas gets in the door for a recruiting visit. No other DC that is available at the moment can say anything close to this and be telling the truth.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Randy Beaver

I had heard John Chavis's name in the past, however, I had never seen him.  My mother-in-law just showed me a picture of him.  She is now a big fan.  She loves mustaches on men almost to the point of what I would call a fetish.  I must admit it is glorious.  He looks like he should be on the front of a coffee tin.  Everytime that commercial comes on TV with Tom Selleck advertising reverse mortgages, Margaret gets all flush and begins to shift her bottom around in her chair.  My wife and I just giggle when we see her.

007 License To Squeal

This is starting to look more like Tavern material....
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

010HogFan

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 09, 2018, 11:40:25 am
If Chavis does nothing else, he can get into any recruits house in order to sell Arkansas. All Chavis has to do is roll out the names of the players he's put in the NFL over the years and "poof !" Arkansas gets in the door for a recruiting visit. No other DC that is available at the moment can say anything close to this and be telling the truth.

yup.

Paul

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 09, 2018, 11:40:25 am
didn't work that well for BB but I get your point

HoggyCat

I'm glad you consider a passing game coordinator to be on the same level as a defensive coordinator.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

010HogFan

Paul

Quote from: Randy Beaver on January 09, 2018, 08:54:39 am
I'd say go for the oldest I know:  Dick Lebeau who's advancing to the next round if NFL at age 80.  He's coach rings around Monte

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

MrKnowItAll

Quote from: Randy Beaver on January 09, 2018, 11:57:35 am
I had heard John Chavis's name in the past, however, I had never seen him.  My mother-in-law just showed me a picture of him.  She is now a big fan.  She loves mustaches on men almost to the point of what I would call a fetish.  I must admit it is glorious.  He looks like he should be on the front of a coffee tin.  Everytime that commercial comes on TV with Tom Selleck advertising reverse mortgages, Margaret gets all flush and begins to shift her bottom around in her chair.  My wife and I just giggle when we see her.

Are you named in tribute to your mother-in-law?

Randy Beaver

You really should read more closely.  Her name is Margaret.  I am actually a Jr.  My father's name was Randall as well.  He always went by Randall.  They chose to call me Randy.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977