Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We need a game thread tonight? Hogus up 2-0

Started by Boarcephus, December 30, 2005, 07:12:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfankb

66-38 was the final.

The lack of shooting in the first half had nothing to do with the offense. The offense is only suppose to get you open shots which we had. We just had an off night. It happens to everyone.

BigHog396

Quote from: ConwayHog on December 30, 2005, 09:10:19 pm
Quote from: BigHog396 on December 30, 2005, 08:05:12 pm
I just want to know why Hipshire was hired. All we heard about in the off-season was this glorious "motion" offense that was being installed. We constantly hear about the "motion" offense from the coaching staff, but NEVER see any motion from anyone other than the player with the ball in his hands. Are the players we have just so stupid that they can't grasp the concept of moving without the ball, or is the coaching staff that pathetic. I am really starting to believe we are going to see the exact same product we saw last year. There is no noticeable difference in the play of the team as a whole. Thomas, Hill, and Jefferson are much improved individually, but I just don't see the improvement in the play of the "team".

You can't run motion against zone.
The motion I am referring to tonight was when I said moving without the ball.  But, since you brought it up, go back and tell me when we have actually ran a real motion offense against man-to-man this year.  If you just stand around, which is exactly what they did all year last year against the zone, and what they have done all year this year against the zone, you get what we saw in this game tonight.  If I am an SEC coach, I am salivating about the opportunity to play against this team.

riccoar

Defense looks very strong and guys crash the boards.  Modica is a totally different player than last year.  We've lost to UConn and Maryland.  UConn is #2 and undefeated and should be a strong contender for the Final Four.  Maryland is #16 and 9-2.  They lost to Gonzaga at home and lost to George Washington on the road.  This team is much better than last years team.  The only thing I would like to see more of is Hill more into the offense.

riccoar

BigHog396,
  Thats what I mean about Hill.  He stands around alot on offense instead of moving.  One player doing that can screw the other four up.  He needs to quit looking to pass off as soon as someone gives him the ball.  Move towards the basket, draw defenders to you, then look to dish.

BigHog396

Look, I am not arguing the difference in results this year.  Yes, we have won a number of games that we likely would have lost last year.  My whole point is that I see the same freakin' standing around that killed us over and over last year.  I don't care if a team is in a zone or man-to-man, you don't just stand in one spot for the entire offensive posession.  That is what everyone was griping about last year, and I still see a total lack of any motion, movement, whatever the heck you want to call it from this team.  We can only progress so much when we can't seem to figure out how to attack a zone.  As far as the wins this year are concerned, who have we beaten that is worth talking about?

Zen_Hog

hogfankb

You just can't win with some people. All we have been hearing is how we are letting these weak teams stay in games. that we can't put anyone away. We beat a team by 28 without a single real scoring option in the game for the last 5 minutes and people still complain.

bigred7987

QuoteWe're winning games we would have lost last year. I think the team has improved but i guess we'll see how much during SEC play.
This is exactly what I am talking about.  Jefferson is a completel different player as is Modica.  We have a low post presence this year too.  You can't get excited about playing a team like this...they are a filler team just to put games on your schedule.  There has been improvement...no denything that.  SEC is down this year...no denything that.  Its too early for people to be criticizing a 10-2 team that has won its last 8.  If they go ahead and absolutely suck vs. Bama and LSU then go ahead.  You don't compare scores.  Every game is different.  If Arkansas' shots would have been falling all you guys would talk about is how this is a completley different team.  Teams are gonna have bad shooting nights.  It happens.  No need to criticize every single thing about the program when that happens.   

Lanny

I don't see any improvement, Arkansas will be fortunate to break .500 in conference play.  This basketball coaching staff is horrible.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

riccoar

I'll say Kansas and Missouri State.  Kansas because they're one of the top 10 programs and they'll be there in April.  Missouri State is #38 in the Coaches poll and will be a definite bracket buster come April.

BloodRedHog

Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

riccoar

I'm not expecting anything past the second round in the NCAA tournament.  But we should make it to the NCAA.

Pignominious

Chill peeps are we going to do this after every win?  Relax take a look at the stats, we did most things well except for shoot and turn the ball over.  Enjoy new years don't be so critical ;D
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

bigred7987

Exactly bearclaw..not even wins appease the pessimistic anymore.

hogfankb

IMO movement is not the problem with the offense. It is spacing. Doesn't matter how much you move/screen. If you are standing too close to your teamates you 2 of you can be guarded by one defensive player and it makes it very difficult to get the ball to you.

Pignominious

Quote from: bigred7987 on December 30, 2005, 09:50:41 pm

Yea heck I was peeved like everybody else after half, They bounced back and found there teammates and scored as a group.  Also Thomas would have changed the last ten minutes of the first half if he hadn't have been hurt.  He was on pace for a double double.

riccoar

Exactly.  Positive thoughts.  Go tomorrow to your barber and tell him you want the Rick Schaeffer special.  When he hands you the mirror take a close look and say out loud, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and Dammit to Hell I'm a Razorback Fan and I don't care if people like me!"

BigHog396

The team I was on in high school could have beaten UTPA.  This isn't a win I would be trying to take anything positive away from.  My points throughout this thread have been about the lack of movement on the offensive end.  If you actually watched that game, and say that our offense was good except for the shooting, you have no clue about basketball.  If the offense showed significant improvement over last year, there would be no need for criticism.

riccoar

Read my last post and take it to heart. It will work.

Pignominious

Quote from: BigHog396 on December 30, 2005, 10:02:53 pm
The team I was on in high school could have beaten UTPA.  This isn't a win I would be trying to take anything positive away from.  My points throughout this thread have been about the lack of movement on the offensive end.  If you actually watched that game, and say that our offense was good except for the shooting, you have no clue about basketball.  If the offense showed significant improvement over last year, there would be no need for criticism.

Ok I guess the "offense was good except for the shooting" thing was pretty stupid.  But realze we don't have any pure shooters, except for maybe McCurdy.  This causes us to not have near as much spacing.  I think our players are moving around more and taking better shots than last year, they are just not hitting them.  Take a step back and look at all of our games and I think you find improvement.  I'm not going to defend them becuase they won, We are not a great team, but there aren't many great teams in basketball this year.

hogfankb

Quote from: BearclawHogs44 on December 30, 2005, 10:34:18 pm
The team I was on in high school could have beaten UTPA. This isn't a win I would be trying to take anything positive away from. My points throughout this thread have been about the lack of movement on the offensive end. If you actually watched that game, and say that our offense was good except for the shooting, you have no clue about basketball. If the offense showed significant improvement over last year, there would be no need for criticism.

Ok I guess the "offense was good except for the shooting" thing was pretty stupid. But realze we don't have any pure shooters, except for maybe McCurdy. This causes us to not have near as much spacing. I think our players are moving around more and taking better shots than last year, they are just not hitting them. Take a step back and look at all of our games and I think you find improvement. I'm not going to defend them becuase they won, We are not a great team, but there aren't many great teams in basketball this year.

I would love to see the shot chart for this game. The offensive system got us good looks. We just didn't make enough of the shots. Too many possessions where we got 3 shots in the lane and had to be fouled just to get points.

Pignominious

Quote from: hogfankb on December 30, 2005, 10:40:09 pm
Quote from: BearclawHogs44 on December 30, 2005, 10:34:18 pm
The team I was on in high school could have beaten UTPA. This isn't a win I would be trying to take anything positive away from. My points throughout this thread have been about the lack of movement on the offensive end. If you actually watched that game, and say that our offense was good except for the shooting, you have no clue about basketball. If the offense showed significant improvement over last year, there would be no need for criticism.

Ok I guess the "offense was good except for the shooting" thing was pretty stupid. But realze we don't have any pure shooters, except for maybe McCurdy. This causes us to not have near as much spacing. I think our players are moving around more and taking better shots than last year, they are just not hitting them. Take a step back and look at all of our games and I think you find improvement. I'm not going to defend them becuase they won, We are not a great team, but there aren't many great teams in basketball this year.

I would love to see the shot chart for this game. The offensive system got us good looks. We just didn't make enough of the shots. Too many possessions where we got 3 shots in the lane and had to be fouled just to get points.

Yea as I was saying we missed shots we usually make I saw about 4 or 5 missed layups.