Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Call BS on accountability

Started by Hogsolo, November 06, 2017, 08:19:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogsolo

Without really knowing why CBB is flaming out as a coach we are all left to frustrations and guessing. 

My guess is through all of the talk of accountability the reality is little accountability.

It's 100% known in business that what is measured improves as long as the people being measured have clear and fairly issued consequences for not improving. 

Based on CBB's personality I feel like accountability he talks about doesn't have consequences.   You know the parent that continually counts to their child regarding poor behavior and is later exasperated that the little tikes are out of control.

Ever since the Hawg fans complained that CBP was too mean on the sidelines, I have started watching successful coaches.  Nearly all of the coaches (even the ones loved by his players) occasionally loose their $##t.   The military has used the loud, scary alteration of behavior for young minds successfully for years.

I'm under the impression that CBB expects his older players to be the hammer he isn't.  He's referenced as much since he arrived.  I think it's just not a skill or ability he has brought or demanded of the leaders.  This culture was already in place in Badgerville when he became a coach.

I think he mistakenly assumed this would occur organically, but just hasn't.   Without it being part of Hog culture it is difficult to instill and must be taught to the people you want to be those leaders.

He clearly loves the players and I think he just wants to be the nice parent.   If the head man is like that it's hard for the assistants to be different.   The head leads the foot that stands still or ends up in an arse.

Any new coach (if we actually get one) hopefully will use repetition and accountability to grind great performance out of his players.

hawgon

The new coach is going to have to go "The Junction Boys" on these kids to get this mess straightened out.

HardCore

Quote from: hawgon on November 06, 2017, 08:21:55 pm
The new coach is going to have to go "The Junction Boys" on these kids to get this mess straightened out.

That is probably correct
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

greasy_corner

Quote from: IAMHogholio on November 06, 2017, 08:19:17 pm
Without really knowing why CBB is flaming out as a coach we are all left to frustrations and guessing. 

My guess is through all of the talk of accountability the reality is little accountability.

It's 100% known in business that what is measured improves as long as the people being measured have clear and fairly issued consequences for not improving. 

Based on CBB's personality I feel like accountability he talks about doesn't have consequences.   You know the parent that continually counts to their child regarding poor behavior and is later exasperated that the little tikes are out of control.

Ever since the Hawg fans complained that CBP was too mean on the sidelines, I have started watching successful coaches.  Nearly all of the coaches (even the ones loved by his players) occasionally loose their $##t.   The military has used the loud, scary alteration of behavior for young minds successfully for years.

I'm under the impression that CBB expects his older players to be the hammer he isn't.  He's referenced as much since he arrived.  I think it's just not a skill or ability he has brought or demanded of the leaders.  This culture was already in place in Badgerville when he became a coach.

I think he mistakenly assumed this would occur organically, but just hasn't.   Without it being part of Hog culture it is difficult to instill and must be taught to the people you want to be those leaders.

He clearly loves the players and I think he just wants to be the nice parent.   If the head man is like that it's hard for the assistants to be different.   The head leads the foot that stands still or ends up in an arse.

Any new coach (if we actually get one) hopefully will use repetition and accountability to grind great performance out of his players.

This is a pretty good take.

cal34

I think that is a big part of the team's problem.  He never even gets excited unless he's talking to an official.  Somebody screws up & he says nothing to them after the play.  He might not care anymore. 

braxhog

You may be right, but they be hungry to be led and to win, and put in the work necessary to be successful. Guess we'll find out soon enough lol.

jkstock04

IF we actually get a new coach...but ya I agree for sure. Think about the culture change a new guy is going to have to orchestrate.

Nothing against the players...it's just basic human nature, but a lot of these guys, especially the ones who have been in the program a few years have grown used to losing. That's pretty much all they know. No telling what it's gonna take physically and especially mentally to change these players we have.

What I've noticed over the years with Bielema is these guys he brings in as freshmen look more impressive and have more fire/want to in their younger years vs the longer they stay in the program.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Piggfoot

If I'm not mistaken the NCAA has ruled against two a days and has guidelines on the amount of time a team can practice as a team. I don't think there are any prohibitions on unsupervised conditioning or getting together catching passes.
One of my complaints with this team is a lack of conditioning. Our players appear to be sluggish.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

moses_007

Quote from: cal34 on November 06, 2017, 09:29:04 pm
I think that is a big part of the team's problem.  He never even gets excited unless he's talking to an official.  Somebody screws up & he says nothing to them after the play.  He might not care anymore. 
He was that way his first year... just stood on the sidelines and looked dumbfounded. 

doc53

The current Hog culture uses accountability in speeches but does not use it in their actions
I was THERE for the Pooch Kick

BadHog

Quote from: IAMHogholio on November 06, 2017, 08:19:17 pm

Could be a combination of a lot of things. At Wisky, Alverez had his thumb on BB. Jeff has only hired him a driver or two.
It's rumored that BB has a drinking problem.
His appears to be undisciplined and lazy. All bark (talk) no bite.
No way you can coach successfully in the SEC with even one of the above.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

jneal56

I never understood why people thought CBP was "mean". The OP was correct when saying all the great coaches lose it now and then. You have to have that aggression in order to be dominant. There is a reason why Alpha's rule the world. A true Alpha will not take any crap from anyone at any time. Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, Bill Parcells etc....(These are examples of Alpha male coaches who come across as "mean" and I am not saying the CBP's or CNS are all on the same level as coaches, but all have the same type of demeanor). They're all generally successful. There are ups and downs but generally always successful at what they do. We need a true Alpha Male coach. Lou Holtz is one of my all time favorites. The story of one of our players throwing the water bottle on the ground instead of handing it to the water boy is one of my favorite stories. Ole Lou had one of our star players picking that bottle up over and over all over Razorback stadium showing him that was not how things were done. Lou weighs in at what, 135lbs! And he'd have 300lb + lineman scared! That's what we need! As goofy as Muschamp is, at least he has fire and will get into someones face when they're not performing like they're supposed to. Woody Hayes may have taken it a little to far......maybe....haha....but you all get the gist of what I'm saying.
"At least we are moral"

hoglady

The new coach is going to have to go “The Junction Boys” on these kids to get this mess straightened out.

Yep - DJ Williams alluded to this the other night.
Said the team is soft - practices are all "rah, rah".
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Tusks

One thing I loved about CPB was those LONG LONG scrimmages he had.  He'd say if you love the game then you love to play the game and then scrimmage a billion plays.  It made the payers tough.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit