Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Murf called it!!!

Started by snoot hoggy hog, December 09, 2015, 12:10:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Großer Kriegschwein

We kinda ran him off and he probably really wanted to get away from us at the same time.
This is my non-signature signature.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on December 09, 2015, 01:20:47 pm
We kinda ran him off and he probably really wanted to get away from us at the same time.

Seems like when the revenue from covering Arkansas dried up, the coverage from him followed suit.  Which is obviously not surprising.  But some people here gave Murf a hard time for no reason, which probably made it much easier to bolt. 

jgphillips3

I thought he was simply reassigned to cover another team. 

younghog

GO HOGS

PorkRinds

Quote from: younghog on December 09, 2015, 03:19:27 pm
How was Murf ran off

He wasn't per se.  His hog podcast ended up getting the axe and his reporting on us pretty much slowed to a crawl.  But a few folks here did go after him with an uncalled for zeal.

Großer Kriegschwein

Led by the GM and BP crowd that argued with nearly everything he tried to say.
This is my non-signature signature.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on December 09, 2015, 03:25:49 pm
Led by the GM and BP crowd that argued with nearly everything he tried to say.

I can't imagine something like that happening.

bp

PonderinHog

Quote from: BorderPatrol on December 09, 2015, 03:53:52 pm
I can't imagine something like that happening.

bp
So it's your fault?   >:(

Hog Fan from Camden

bphi11ips

Murf said Kirkland is a bad fit at left tackle.  He got flamed pretty good and pretty much said why bother.

Most folks who know what they're talking about here and try and do it thoughtfully don't last long.  Not anymore anyway.  It's really too bad, cuz this used to be a good place to talk about football. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

SPAL

So some guy names murf "called it" because he said the best tight end in the country was built for a scheme that heavily uses the tight end.

Man, what foresight.

PorkSoda

the real test of whether he called it, will be if Kirkland gets drafted as an OG or an OT.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

onebadrubi

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 09, 2015, 08:27:27 pm
Murf said Kirkland is a bad fit at left tackle.  He got flamed pretty good and pretty much said why bother.

Most folks who know what they're talking about here and try and do it thoughtfully don't last long.  Not anymore anyway.  It's really too bad, cuz this used to be a good place to talk about football.

He didn't do it thoughtfully.  He came out and said it would not work based on a few possessions in the UGA game.  He even had a real nice space filling article with short clips from that game trying to show exactly why it is an awful move by Sam Pittman and Bielema to move Kirkland to left tackle and why he would get beat constantly.  He got mad that many here said you can't draw your conclusion from that game and that this staff is one of the top in developing lineman.  It went back and forth for awhile with him only able to refer back to his short clips using the UGA game as his reason why.  He refused to accept many here had faith in this staff and telling him he could (not would) be wrong.  I also don't see a retraction to that article on how bad our line would be, kirkland would get beat often, or anything of the sort. 

Murf didn't get ran off, he is a good writer that just so happens came to a board full of fans that support one team.  He couldn't handle the criticism and heat from doing so. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 09, 2015, 08:34:49 pm
the real test of whether he called it, will be if Kirkland gets drafted as an OG or an OT.

His article was much less about draft and more about this season. 

bphi11ips

December 09, 2015, 09:11:42 pm #16 Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 10:26:14 pm by bphi11ips
Quote from: onebadrubi on December 09, 2015, 09:01:00 pm
He didn't do it thoughtfully.  He came out and said it would not work based on a few possessions in the UGA game.  He even had a real nice space filling article with short clips from that game trying to show exactly why it is an awful move by Sam Pittman and Bielema to move Kirkland to left tackle and why he would get beat constantly.  He got mad that many here said you can't draw your conclusion from that game and that this staff is one of the top in developing lineman.  It went back and forth for awhile with him only able to refer back to his short clips using the UGA game as his reason why.  He refused to accept many here had faith in this staff and telling him he could (not would) be wrong.  I also don't see a retraction to that article on how bad our line would be, kirkland would get beat often, or anything of the sort. 

Murf didn't get ran off, he is a good writer that just so happens came to a board full of fans that support one team.  He couldn't handle the criticism and heat from doing so. 

I disagree.  Murf's opinion may have been as wrong as original sin, but he presented his opinion thoughtfully and was attacked by the usual suspects who roam this board like a pack of wolves.  You're correct that he was blindsided by the partisan nature of the board itself.  He was naive to expect a civil discussion here.  If you don't have a thick skin you need to post somewhere else.  Or run with the pack.

Pig In The City

In my opinion we used him too little too late but that is on the coaches not him. I'm very proud of his accomplishments nonetheless.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Well the flamers can rejoice I guess.
Personally, I enjoyed his articles and his game breakdown.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Josh Goforth

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 09, 2015, 09:11:42 pm
I disagree.  Murf's opinion may have been as wrong as original sin, but he presented his opinion thoughtfully and was attacked by the usual suspects who roam this board like a pack of wolves.  You're correct that he was blindsided by the partisan nature of the board itself.  He was naive to expect a civil discussion here.  If you don't have a thick skin you need to post somewhere else.  Or run with the pack.
He also came back posting crap after the Toledo loss on how Arkansas needed to return to its physicality or something like that. His post was thrown in the trash by moderators. His goal was to get clicks, whether it was in the preseason hype by cheerleading or during the down times after the Toledo, TT losses.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Josh Goforth on December 10, 2015, 05:29:11 am
He also came back posting crap after the Toledo loss on how Arkansas needed to return to its physicality or something like that. His post was thrown in the trash by moderators. His goal was to get clicks, whether it was in the preseason hype by cheerleading or during the down times after the Toledo, TT losses.

I remember him saying we needed to get back to being very physical.
I don't remember him ''talking crap'' though.
I guess I'll need to reread it.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

MuskogeeHogFan

He wasn't wrong about that. The staff and certain members of the offense agreed with that opinion at the time. Remember how they talked about finding themselves going sideways instead of going upfield?
Go Hogs Go!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 10, 2015, 05:36:36 am
He wasn't wrong about that. The staff and certain members of the offense agreed with that opinion at the time. Remember how they talked about finding themselves going sideways instead of going upfield?

And yes, we did play less physical and needed to regain that element.
IMO, we never got all the way back to the level of physicality that we finished with last year.

We blew a lot of people off the line towards the end of last season with our OL.  We've gotten a lot better this year as the season has progressed, but we don't seem to dominate the LOS like last year.

Is some of it due to the change to Enos?
Is it due to the loss of JWill?
Is it due to the shuffling of the line?

I have no idea, but it's not the same.
His response to me:

onebadrubi

I actually enjoyed most of his game write ups but i do believe he came here simply as a salesman to market himself and his stories.  He had no interest in information here or any other thought except his. 

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 09, 2015, 08:34:49 pm

OG

bphi11ips

Maybe Murf doesn't like running with the pack, licking boots, or kissing butt.  In other words, he's a good journalist, just not the type that makes it in Arkansas.  Certainly doesn't have what it takes to be popular here.

jry04

We lost to Toledo, and struggled to run the ball. We threw it like 50 times against Toledo. How was he wrong about that?

The Kig

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 10, 2015, 06:04:57 am
I actually enjoyed most of his game write ups but i do believe he came here simply as a salesman to market himself and his stories.  He had no interest in information here or any other thought except his.

Ummmm... Duh.  Writers who just write and can't "sell" their story are called bloggers.  I really liked his perspective, even if not always completely agreeing with him, they were well thought out.. He always "showed his math" instead of simply saying someone would be great/suck just because.  He wasn't here to debate the sunshine pumpers or the CBP/MOTHO/GSD or any other Hog specific agenda.

We tend to run off the good ones (even Mike Irwin has to get frustrated with some of our knuckledraggers) and keep Robert Shields around...go figure.
Poker Porker

DeltaBoy

Great honor for a hard working young man.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkRinds

Quote from: The Kig on December 10, 2015, 07:54:36 am
Ummmm... Duh.  Writers who just write and can't "sell" their story are called bloggers.  I really liked his perspective, even if not always completely agreeing with him, they were well thought out.. He always "showed his math" instead of simply saying someone would be great/suck just because.  He wasn't here to debate the sunshine pumpers or the CBP/MOTHO/GSD or any other Hog specific agenda.

We tend to run off the good ones (even Mike Irwin has to get frustrated with some of our knuckledraggers) and keep Robert Shields around...go figure.

Mike isn't beyond dragging his own knuckles every now and again...

Josh Goforth

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 10, 2015, 07:40:27 am
Maybe Murf doesn't like running with the pack, licking boots, or kissing butt.  In other words, he's a good journalist, just not the type that makes it in Arkansas.  Certainly doesn't have what it takes to be popular here.
Licking boots would be putting it in a nice way as to what he was doing in the off season. The whole podcast and writeups like how Ellis was going to dominate at OLB and Walker was going to wreck the SEC was just sunshine pumping rear kissing, drivel to get people to read. Nowhere in any of it other than the Kirkland piece which I disagreed with but wanted to see more of that kind of analysis did he attempt to do anything other than build up hog fans already biased opinions.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 10, 2015, 06:04:57 am

Quote from: Josh Goforth on December 10, 2015, 08:33:47 am
Licking boots would be putting it in a nice way as to what he was doing in the off season. The whole podcast and writeups like how Ellis was going to dominate at OLB and Walker was going to wreck the SEC was just sunshine pumping rear kissing, drivel to get people to read. Nowhere in any of it other than the Kirkland piece which I disagreed with but wanted to see more of that kind of analysis did he attempt to do anything other than build up hog fans already biased opinions.

And he didn't just do this with Arkansas. Everything he wrote at SDS was just homerism for each team. He had a series of articles over a couple of weeks that was basically fill-in-the-blanks: [Insert player's name] from this [Insert SEC team name] is going to [wreck/dominate/conquer/whoop] the [Insert SEC team's division] this year!!! and then he'd show a couple of highlights.

His actual analysis was never all that bad, despite his poor writing and tendency to hyperbole, but he was such a hornswoggler about getting clicks at SDS and Hogville just ate it up b/c they thought Murf actually believed  what he wrote when it was obvious he was just another used car salesman. 

And yes ok maybe that's the point for him, get some clicks and make some ad money. As a seventh generation Arkansan, that's not the kind of Razorbacks football journalism I want though. Give me Mike Irwin, Trey Biddy, Bo Mattingly, Harry King, Robert Shields, and the analyses at Arkansas Fight instead.

younghog

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 09, 2015, 03:20:51 pm
He wasn't per se.  His hog podcast ended up getting the axe and his reporting on us pretty much slowed to a crawl.  But a few folks here did go after him with an uncalled for zeal.

got it
GO HOGS

bphi11ips

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on December 10, 2015, 08:50:15 am
And he didn't just do this with Arkansas. Everything he wrote at SDS was just homerism for each team. He had a series of articles over a couple of weeks that was basically fill-in-the-blanks: [Insert player's name] from this [Insert SEC team name] is going to [wreck/dominate/conquer/whoop] the [Insert SEC team's division] this year!!! and then he'd show a couple of highlights.

His actual analysis was never all that bad, despite his poor writing and tendency to hyperbole, but he was such a hornswoggler about getting clicks at SDS and Hogville just ate it up b/c they thought Murf actually believed  what he wrote when it was obvious he was just another used car salesman. 

And yes ok maybe that's the point for him, get some clicks and make some ad money. As a seventh generation Arkansan, that's not the kind of Razorbacks football journalism I want though. Give me Mike Irwin, Trey Biddy, Bo Mattingly, Harry King, Robert Shields, and the analyses at Arkansas Fight instead.

Dang.  Your ancestors must have married pretty young, even by Arkansas standards.  That's one generation every seven years.  You sure you're not a poodle? 

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on December 09, 2015, 08:32:02 pm
So some guy names murf "called it" because he said the best tight end in the country was built for a scheme that heavily uses the tight end.

Man, what foresight.

Must be an astute fellow.