Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Damarea Crockett, one of the 10 best rushers in CFB

Started by HawgTrough, August 10, 2017, 01:09:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngsta71701

Too bad he's not in a Razorback uniform because of his "troubled past". ::)

:puke:
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

RazorPiggie

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 10, 2017, 01:12:02 pm
Too bad he's not in a Razorback uniform because of his "troubled past". ::)

:puke:
He's not in a Razorback uniform because we recruited better players.
All Gas, No Brakes!

King Kong

HawgTrough

1. Derrius Guice, LSU
2. Myles Gaskin, Washington
3. Justin Jackson, Northwestern
4. Bo Scarbrough, Bama
5. Mike Weber, OSU
6. Trayveon Williams, A&M
7. Damarea Crockett, MZ
8. Ronald Jones II, USC
9. Saquon Barkley, PSU
10. Jarvion Franlin, WMU

for those that dislike slideshows
WPS

HawgTrough

WPS

NuttinItUp

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: HawgTrough on August 10, 2017, 01:27:17 pm
Home grown product that "we" passed on seems relevant

See Reply #1...

"PERSONAL
Chose Mizzou over Arizona State, Boise State, Colorado State, Memphis, Vanderbilt, Yale, Army and Navy."
From MUTigers.com
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

mclyte

Dumb post.... Barkley should be 1 and it's not even close. Crockett over Barkley is laughable. Crockett over Whaley is laughable.

The Hogfather

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: HawgTrough on August 10, 2017, 01:26:05 pm
1. Derrius Guice, LSU
4. Bo Scarbrough, Bama
5. Mike Weber, OSU
7. Damarea Crockett, MZ
8. Ronald Jones II, USC
9. Saquon Barkley, PSU
10. Jarvion Franlin, WMU

The important thing about this list is that our new 3-4 alignment must try to slow down 4 of the top 10 RB's in the country. And 3 of those 4 are going to have good OL's in front of them.  Don't know about Crockett's OL.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: HawgTrough on August 10, 2017, 01:27:17 pm
Home grown product that "we" passed on seems relevant

We did. He still wouldn't be a starter.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 10, 2017, 01:16:20 pm
He's not in a Razorback uniform because we recruited better players.
Seriously. Do we have a running back being mentioned in the top 10 in the country? Don't get me wrong I like Whaley but "come on man" we could have had them both.

Youngsta71701

navyhog24

Quote from: Surfing8 on August 10, 2017, 01:56:00 pm
I'm pretty sure that every unbiased observer in the country would have a differing opinion on that. 

Maybe Whaley can change that perception this year, if he gets decent OL play in front of him.  Right now Kurt Anderson has impressed no one outside of NWA. 

What has KA done to impress those inside NWA? Please explain

Youngsta71701

Youngsta71701

Quote from: mclyte on August 10, 2017, 01:36:50 pm
Dumb post.... Barkley should be 1 and it's not even close. Crockett over Barkley is laughable. Crockett over Whaley is laughable.
Are you serious? Crockett over Whaley is laughable. I want some of whatever you've been drinking or smoking. And like I said in an earlier post I like Whaley but as of right now Crockett seems to be the better running back. Maybe Whaley can change that narrative this coming season.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: navyhog24 on August 10, 2017, 02:16:35 pm
What has KA done to impress those inside NWA? Please explain
LOL...good one...nothing yet but he still has time. I'm trying to keep the faith.

Atlhogfan1

Dumb to be critical of the staff for this one.  For some earlier oline decisions including the lack of numbers is justified.  Not the recruiting in that class of RBs.

Whaley was around one of the Top 100 recruits overall and a top 5 RB recruit recruited hard by LSU, UGa, Texas and the like.

We pursued Devin White to the end.  A national Top 150 recruit and top 5-6 RB recruit.

Hammonds was signed in this class. 

RWIII was on the roster.

Crockett was nowhere near this level of recruit.  Good for him he got an opportunity to play in the SEC in an offensive system where he could put up good numbers and play early. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: Surfing8 on August 10, 2017, 01:56:00 pm
I'm pretty sure that every unbiased observer in the country would have a differing opinion on that. 

Maybe Whaley can change that perception this year, if he gets decent OL play in front of him.  Right now Kurt Anderson has impressed no one outside of NWA. 

It doesn't really matter what "unbiased observers" think.  He wouldn't be a starter.  He would contribute, for sure.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 10, 2017, 02:25:40 pm
Dumb to be critical of the staff for this one.  For some earlier oline decisions including the lack of numbers is justified.  Not the recruiting in that class of RBs.

Whaley was around one of the Top 100 recruits overall and a top 5 RB recruit recruited hard by LSU, UGa, Texas and the like.

We pursued Devin White to the end.  A national Top 150 recruit and top 5-6 RB recruit.

Hammonds was signed in this class. 

RWIII was on the roster.

Crockett was nowhere near this level of recruit.  Good for him he got an opportunity to play in the SEC in an offensive system where he could put up good numbers and play early.
Good points. I for one was hoping that he got an offer once the Devin White and the kid from Texas deal fell through, can't recall his name right now. I always knew TJ Hammonds was more of an all purpose back not a pure running back.

Update, the kids name from Texas was Kyle Porter.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 10, 2017, 02:15:51 pm
Seriously. Do we have a running back being mentioned in the top 10 in the country? Don't get me wrong I like Whaley but "come on man" we could have had them both.

Having them both, in hindsight, would definitely be good right now.  However, we didn't have a lot of room there when Rawleigh was here.

I do think Whaley is better than Damarea.  Just hasn't been given the same opportunity..........YET.  I think he'll show out this year.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The Hogfather on August 10, 2017, 02:31:42 pm
Having them both, in hindsight, would definitely be good right now.  However, we didn't have a lot of room there when Rawleigh was here.

I do think Whaley is better than Damarea.  Just hasn't been given the same opportunity..........YET.  I think he'll show out this year.
I hope so. I believe both of them are good. Crockett just got a chance to show what he can do earlier and more often. Now it's Whaley's turn. WooPig!!

wildhogman

Quote from: The Hogfather on August 10, 2017, 02:31:42 pm

I was going to ask since people are comparing them. Did Crocket have a starter infront of him with lots of experience expect to take most of the load?

daBoar

In hinds sight it's a recruiting bust.  I sure would have preferred him to a juco non-qualifier.

DeltaHog66

Quote from: wildhogman on August 10, 2017, 02:40:56 pm
I was going to ask since people are comparing them. Did Crocket have a starter infront of him with lots of experience expect to take most of the load?

This.. 

31to6

He was the only show in town. Their cupboard was non-existent. Their leading tailback from 2015, Sr Hansbrough, was graduated. They had Ish Witter, a JR 3* 5'8" RB out of FL who had rushed for 4.1 YPC in 2015. Nobody else on the depth chart had shown any promise at RB either. Witter had also been frequently banged up.

They brought in a JUCO 4*, Neatreace Strong along with Crockett but he struggled.

Crockett won the position and he definitely exceeded expectations, but that does not mean that the Razorbacks should have offered him.

RWIII would have been on that top-10 list if he had not retired from FB.

Good for Crockett that he found a place. More power to him. But you can't rewind history and you can't say that the guys on our roster who were *behind* a 1300-yard rusher are not just as good or better.

RME

Crockett had Ish Witter, who is serviceable, in front of him. But Witter is/was nowhere near RWIII.

hawgfan4life

All I know is what I saw when AR played Missouri and what Crockett did to our defense.  No wonder he is on a top 10 list!

RME

Quote from: 31to6 on August 10, 2017, 02:54:47 pm

Good for Crockett that he found a place. More power to him. But you can't rewind history and you can't say that the guys on our roster who were *behind* a 1300-yard rusher are not just as good or better.

Absolutely.

And to the second part, you're correct. Domino effect. We take Crockett, we probably don't get both Maleek and Chase. What if both of them turn out to be better than Crockett?

RME

Quote from: hawgfan4life on August 10, 2017, 02:57:06 pm
All I know is what I saw when AR played Missouri and what Crockett did to our defense.  No wonder he is on a top 10 list!

Is this a joke?

mizzouman

The Hogfather

He didn't have anyone like Rawleigh in front of him.  He got to carry the load in the last half of the season.  I think if Whaley got that sort of load, he would ball.  Guess we'll see!

RME

Quote from: mizzouman on August 10, 2017, 03:00:54 pm
I think he was having nightmares of Tony Temple.

Hearing that name just makes me cold...much like I was in the shade of the Cotton Bowl that day.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: 31to6 on August 10, 2017, 02:54:47 pm
He was the only show in town. Their cupboard was non-existent. Their leading tailback from 2015, Sr Hansbrough, was graduated. They had Ish Witter, a JR 3* 5'8" RB out of FL who had rushed for 4.1 YPC in 2015. Nobody else on the depth chart had shown any promise at RB either. Witter had also been frequently banged up.

They brought in a JUCO 4*, Neatreace Strong along with Crockett but he struggled.

Crockett won the position and he definitely exceeded expectations, but that does not mean that the Razorbacks should have offered him.

As a matter of correctness, he did make that claim.  You stating that he "Can't make that cliam" is not true.  Anybody with a brain knows what you meant and would be an arse to argue that point.  Likewise, anyone with half a brain and any amount of knowledge about the kid, the recruiting that occurred and the results of the coaches with current and past RBs would also have to be an arse to be very critical.  There is a difference in saying, "I wish we had taken him now that I have seen what he can do."  It is another thing to argue that we "SHOULD" have recruited and offered.  To say we should have offered is plain wrong.

31to6

If you are going to compose the top-10 list based on what teams did to our 2016 run defense, you are going to have to add Auburn's waterboy to the list.

I think they were auctioning off snaps to boosters at halftime.

31to6

Quote from: hawgfan4life on August 10, 2017, 03:04:20 pm
As a matter of correctness, he did make that claim.  You stating that he "Can't make that cliam" is not true.  Anybody with a brain knows what you meant and would be an arse to argue that point.  Likewise, anyone with half a brain and any amount of knowledge about the kid, the recruiting that occurred and the results of the coaches with current and past RBs would also have to be an arse to be very critical.  There is a difference in saying, "I wish we had taken him now that I have seen what he can do."  It is another thing to argue that we "SHOULD" have recruited and offered.  To say we should have offered is plain wrong.
Huh? Did you quote the wrong post?

I didn't use the words you are responding to and I think we actually agree.

Jim Harris

He had an incredible day. Greatest day ever.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 10, 2017, 02:17:55 pm
Are you serious? Crockett over Whaley is laughable. I want some of whatever you've been drinking or smoking. And like I said in an earlier post I like Whaley but as of right now Crockett seems to be the better running back. Maybe Whaley can change that narrative this coming season.
Crockett got started carries because of injury.  Put Whaley in that spot as a frosb and he beasts out.  Whaley got 600yds as a freshman backup to the leading rusher in the SEC.

Let's see who is more highly thought of after this season.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Wildhog

It'd be nice to have him, but we'll be just fine.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogs33

Crockett was riding the pine....
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain

Hogwild

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on August 10, 2017, 01:38:26 pm
The important thing about this list is that our new 3-4 alignment must try to slow down 4 of the top 10 RB's in the country. And 3 of those 4 are going to have good OL's in front of them.  Don't know about Crockett's OL.

Was thinking the same thing, facing 4 of the top 7 running backs in the nation. Guess it is better than facing 4 of the top QBs.

According to ESPN, only Alabama, LSU, and Auburn have a better line than Mizzou in the conference.

Quote4. Missouri: The Tigers are in great shape up front, returning all five starters from a 2016 group that allowed the SEC's fewest tackles for loss and sacks. The Tigers bring in a large recruiting haul, so the depth is plentiful here.

Youngsta71701

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hogwild on August 10, 2017, 03:38:34 pm
Was thinking the same thing, facing 4 of the top 7 running backs in the nation. Guess it is better than facing 4 of the top QBs.

According to ESPN, only Alabama, LSU, and Auburn have a better line than Mizzou in the conference.

This piece does a decent job explaining why those stats are misleading due to Mizzou's offensive scheme:
https://www.seccountry.com/missouri/missouri-offensive-line-damarea-crockett
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Wildhog

I just don't understand why some feel the need to diminish his accomplishments.  He didn't spurn us for Mizzou.  He would have been a Hog if he could.  He had a great freshman season and I'm happy for him.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

King Kong

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 10, 2017, 02:17:55 pm

Every recruiting several and P5 program thought Whaley over Crockett. Crockett has better Freshman stats l. Of course he wasn't playing behind the SEC's regular season rushed either

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: HawgTrough on August 10, 2017, 01:26:05 pm
1. Derrius Guice, LSU
4. Bo Scarbrough, Bama
5. Mike Weber, OSU
7. Damarea Crockett, MZ
8. Ronald Jones II, USC
9. Saquon Barkley, PSU
10. Jarvion Franlin, WMU

No Ralph Webb?  He's gained 3347 yards against SEC competition while playing at Vandy.

azhog10

Quote from: Wildhog on August 10, 2017, 03:55:13 pm
I just don't understand why some feel the need to diminish his accomplishments.  He didn't spurn us for Mizzou.  He would have been a Hog if he could.  He had a great freshman season and I'm happy for him.
Bc they will go to bat for the football coach. No doubt this was a miss. Nothing wrong with admitting that. Not signing him can be justified, but you have to be able to be self critical after the fact and at least not offering him was a mistake. Had we offered and he didn't come, that would be less of an issue then not offering at all.