Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

List of available BB coaches

Started by Hogblood, February 15, 2006, 10:27:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogblood

Quote from: Sanctified Swine on February 15, 2006, 11:36:04 pm
I am telling you now......Rick Barnes would come to UA...He get no fans support in Austin. I live in Austin adn it is a big point of discussion around here. It is not a secret that Rick is frustrated by it. As much as I hate the horns, Rick is an excellent coach who puts a quality product on the floor.
If that is the case I wish we could get him up here for the next game. I like Barnes. Hell yes

Hawg414

Quote from: Sanctified Swine on February 15, 2006, 11:36:04 pm
I am telling you now......Rick Barnes would come to UA...He get no fans support in Austin. I live in Austin adn it is a big point of discussion around here. It is not a secret that Rick is frustrated by it. As much as I hate the horns, Rick is an excellent coach who puts a quality product on the floor.

this idea has grown on me over the past few weeks.  bottom line is texass has been in the national picture ever since he got there.  and i honestly think the UAs program is a step up from UTs

JustoHogFan

You know that Rick Barnes is sounding dam good lately and he can recruit and coach hell he took Texas to the final four what could he do at a major basketball program(until Heath got here) like Arkansas.

GO HOGS!!!

BillClinton

Would it be possible to pull Bruce Pearl away from Tenessee? What about the Northern Iowa coach; he's got his team in the tournament and he beat LSU at home.

Razorod

If Rick Barnes would indeed come then the list, imo, begins and ends here. But UT will match anything we offer, so Barnes essentially will have to want to come to the UA because I don't think Broyles will want to get into a public bidding war to get him. My guess would be Hogs offer 1.5 mill, if he comes then good. If not, Broyles and co. would move on.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Quote from: BillClinton on February 16, 2006, 07:54:02 am
Would it be possible to pull Bruce Pearl away from Tenessee? What about the Northern Iowa coach; he's got his team in the tournament and he beat LSU at home.

I think we should throw some big money at Pearl and see what happens.

Karma for you for the screen name. :)
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

SAUhogfan

Quote from: Hogblood on February 15, 2006, 11:39:14 pm
I really wish we could get a pro coach who wants to come back to college if there is a such a thing. Tim Floyd and Larry Brown come to mind. I just saw where Brown is discouraged with the Knicks. I don't want to take a chance on another up and maybe comer maybe not.

Larry Brown?  Hell, why don't we just wheel Red Auerbach down here to coach next year.  Let's try to keep this thread real.  I hope we don't have to scrape the bottom of the barrell for UTEP's coach. 

bassntrucks

Before I begin, I would like to say that I think this website is first class in every aspect.  I found out about this site about midway through this past recruiting season and the inside tracks and passion that I see from all the posters on here is unbelievable!!  Props to all the mods and creators of this site and all that post here.  This is my new favorite site!
Now to my point.  Correct me if I am wrong, but we have the resources at the University to offer the big dollars needed to get any coach out there.  We have top notch facilities, tradition, and hands down the greatest fans in the country(think back to the support for the hogs back in the early to mid 90's, sellouts and waiting lists just to see them play.)  So the question I have is do the decision makers at the U of A have enough pride in our basketball program to fix the problem.  If the answer is yes, make the deal whatever it costs to get the coach in here to restore the program.  If the answer is no, well..  I guess we as fans are stuck with our current coach or what ever bargain "up and comers" they can find. Thanks for giving us all a site to throw our opinions on the table.   Go Hogs!!!

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: jayloot on February 15, 2006, 11:47:45 pm
who are the nba guys that are available?

Well, Mike Montgomery from Golden State, former USC (I think) coach.  Paul Silas, his only gig is working at ESPN. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

wishyjoshy

Mike Montgomery is from Stanford.  He can't get the job done.  Never could win the big one. 

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: JFen on February 16, 2006, 08:36:32 am
Mike Montgomery is from Stanford.  He can't get the job done.  Never could win the big one. 

Thanks for clearing that up.  I couldn't remember, I thought Majerus took over for him before he retired. 

There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

pfrg999

Hobbs @ GW
Mark Turgeon @ Wichita State
NIU Coach
Anderson @ UAB
Self @ Kansas
Henson@Missouri State
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: pfrg999 on February 16, 2006, 08:48:06 am
Hobbs @ GW
NIU Coach
Anderson @ UAB
Self @ Kansas
Henson@Missouri State

Hobbs at GW, Turgeron at WS, and Henson at Mo ST  the NIU coach 4 guys having some success at mid major schools - sounds familiar.

Get over SEFL,, He is not coming, PERIOD. 

Anderson - oh this one has been beaten to death.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

wishyjoshy

SELF?  Why would he or anyone leave Kansas? 
Yes, Williams left, but OMG, that was for his home - UNC.

pfrg999

Quote from: hogsanity on February 16, 2006, 08:57:04 am
Hobbs @ GW
NIU Coach
Anderson @ UAB
Self @ Kansas
Henson@Missouri State

Hobbs at GW, Turgeron at WS, and Henson at Mo ST  the NIU coach 4 guys having some success at mid major schools - sounds familiar.

Self is @ Kansas for awhile
Anderson... yes I threw it in there...I should Know better By now... It won't Happen
Turgeon is a Roy Williams and Larry Brown disciple ... He is Not a One hit Wonder.... But a Damn good Coach with many Years of Success.....Turgeon Has his NC ring.... He has Been there.... And Has taken a Group of No Names and Is Leading the MVC (I know) and will be in the NCAAT... and I don't want to be the one to play them....
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

tulsahog36

For all of you idiots:  The oringal post was in reference to SCOTT SUTTON, head coach of ORU. 

pfrg999

Quote from: tulsahog36 on February 16, 2006, 09:14:25 am
For all of you idiots:  The oringal post was in reference to SCOTT SUTTON, head coach of ORU. 

I knew That..... Scott Is a Good Coach.. He recruits well For ORU

bald hog

Throw all the names you want out there, but we'll wind up with whoever FB wants :puke:

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Who pissed in your cheerios?
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

hogsanity

Well gee, it could have been Eddie, Sean, Scott.  Maybe you should have been more particular in your post.  With the other stupid neames you threw out it was quite possible you meant Eddie
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Big Hawg 21

How about the W. Virginia Coach.  They play exciting basketball in a very tough league this year.  If he can get good players to go to W.Virginia, then Fayetteville shouldn't be a problem with our facilities.

PiggoBitttys

Quote from: hogsanity on February 16, 2006, 08:57:04 am
Hobbs @ GW
NIU Coach
Anderson @ UAB
Self @ Kansas
Henson@Missouri State

Hobbs has been at GW for 4 years. Last year, he got them to the NCAA tourney and won the A-10. This year, he has them 20-1, and ranked #8 in the country(and they have beat some good teams). Their program has been steadily improving since he got there, this is not a one year wonder.

On Self, I don't want the guy. For one, he very likely is not coming. Two, he hasn't exactly lit it up at Kansas. They are not the team they were under Roy Williams.

I agree on the West Virginia coach sentiments as well. He's done very well there, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

RebelliousHog

Jobs not available- Arkansas Unversity, etc.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

HawgNTexas

Billy Gillispie is a good coach, the Aggies compete with below average talent in the Big 12 and mediocre fan support.  He might not be a big name, but he's most likely affordable and his teams will never embarrass us.  I'd rather have a team with average talent that plays hard every game than a team of 5-star recruits that don't give a crap. 

hogtheball

Quote from: BossHog13 on February 15, 2006, 10:41:49 pm
If not Nolan, go get Mike Anderson! We seriously need to get back to Hog Ball! Forty Minutes of Hell!!!

Did you see that Mike Anderson and UAB lost 65-37 to UTEP last week?  That must have been 40 minutes of genuine hell.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

snag

1st choice - Barnes of Texas seems top notch
2nd choice - Karl Hobbs of GW might be more of a risk, but he looks like a good risk. He's probably the best young black coach in the nation.

SwineOnTheLine

Quote from: Hogblood on February 15, 2006, 10:27:05 pm
Its not even the end of February so far:
1. Huggins
2. Sutton
3. Majerus
4. Snyder

Point is we will have some names to choose from. We may need to get a designated driver but what the _ _ _ _?  I would spell out that last word but I have been warned and banned for bad spelling. Anyway the timing seems right and after March who knows what the list will look like.
you are a complete moron if you think Eddie Sutton will EVER coach again.And why the hell would you want that drunk old bastard to coach us anyway?Some of the people on this board are completely lost.

hawkeyefan17

Come on man, Sutton will not coach again. I have seen a lot of people making fun of Sutton for the problem he has, people should be supporting him and wishing him well not calling him names.

He used to coach at Arkansas. Doesn't that play into how you feel about him?

AUSTXHOG

R. Barnes would be a great coach..it's true what some have already said... He gets no fan support here in Austin.  It's talked about everyday on the sports talk stations.  They beg people to attend games.  He would be my fav right now, and the guy can recruit like crazy.

PigKuneDo

Quote from: 5 little pigs on February 15, 2006, 10:46:46 pm
Doc Sadler of UTEP, young, won at JC level, doing a great job at UTEP.

And who absolutely beat the dog out of Anderson's UAB team, 65-37 (in El Paso)...

- Bert

hogtheball

Quote from: HogInaStrangeLand on February 15, 2006, 11:20:29 pm
Ummm....we looking for someone under the radar who had success at a mid-major?

SOUNDS ODDLY FAMILIAR TO ME....

worked pretty well when we picked Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson from Creighton and Tulsa... 
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

hogtheball

Quote from: PigKuneDo on February 16, 2006, 12:58:54 pm
Quote from: 5 little pigs on February 15, 2006, 10:46:46 pm
Doc Sadler of UTEP, young, won at JC level, doing a great job at UTEP.

And who absolutely beat the dog out of Anderson's UAB team, 65-37 (in El Paso)...

- Bert

And that wasn't last year or anything - it was just 7 days ago!!

hogsanity

Quote from: hogtheball on February 16, 2006, 01:25:24 pm

worked pretty well when we picked Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson from Creighton and Tulsa... 

Eddie was winning at Creighton beofre college basketball got to the level of parity it has now.  Winning at a mid major is not as hard now as it was then.  It was obvious Eddie could coach at ANY level.

Nolan had already won a NJCAA title and NIT title.  He had donre alot more than simply getting some mid major into the dance a couple times by winning some weak sister conference.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: HawgNTexas on February 16, 2006, 10:03:58 am
Billy Gillispie is a good coach, the Aggies compete with below average talent in the Big 12 and mediocre fan support.  He might not be a big name, but he's most likely affordable and his teams will never embarrass us.  I'd rather have a team with average talent that plays hard every game than a team of 5-star recruits that don't give a crap. 

Everybody needs to check this guy out.  Especially look at the attendance at UTEP and A&M when he took over those programs.  He's a Self protege and has attitude.

;D

Bacon out...

The_Bionic_Pig

why are you people thinking D-1 level and trying to get someone's used car ???.  If your gonna aim high aim DAMN HIGH!!!!
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hogtheball

Quote from: hogsanity on February 16, 2006, 01:29:35 pm

Eddie was winning at Creighton beofre college basketball got to the level of parity it has now.  Winning at a mid major is not as hard now as it was then.  It was obvious Eddie could coach at ANY level.

Nolan had already won a NJCAA title and NIT title.  He had donre alot more than simply getting some mid major into the dance a couple times by winning some weak sister conference.

Nolan at Tulsa was a mid-major - the very definition of a mid-major.  That's why he had to leave Tulsa and come to a bigger school to get where he wanted to be.  And this whole thing of calling the NIT a national championship is goofy (it's the tournament of teams not in the top 64/or 32 back then). 

The NIT is a great way to get tournament experience for your team, but don't call it a championship when you win.  South Carolina, Michigan, and St. Johns were that last three teams to win.  I haven't seen any of those coaches listed as extremely desirable. 

There's no way around the facts, Eddie Sutton was coaching a mid-major when we hired him.  Nolan was a mid-major when we hired him.  A successful coach is a successful coach. 

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: hogtheball on February 16, 2006, 06:45:17 pm

Nolan at Tulsa was a mid-major - the very definition of a mid-major.  That's why he had to leave Tulsa and come to a bigger school to get where he wanted to be.  And this whole thing of calling the NIT a national championship is goofy (it's the tournament of teams not in the top 64/or 32 back then). 

The NIT is a great way to get tournament experience for your team, but don't call it a championship when you win.  South Carolina, Michigan, and St. Johns were that last three teams to win.  I haven't seen any of those coaches listed as extremely desirable. 

There's no way around the facts, Eddie Sutton was coaching a mid-major when we hired him.  Nolan was a mid-major when we hired him.  A successful coach is a successful coach. 

My question is...are there any really good high school coaches we can hire?
;D

Bacon out...

hogtheball

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on February 16, 2006, 06:49:11 pm
Quote from: hogtheball on February 16, 2006, 06:45:17 pm

My question is...are there any really good high school coaches we can hire?
;D

Bacon out...

Actually, Bob Hurley Sr. at St. Anthony's High (where McCurdy played) name comes up for coaching jobs quite a bit. UMASS tried to hire him as well as several other colleges, but he loves his high school job.  I bet McCurdy would like us to talk to him.

J.A.Y.

No High School coaches, except for Gus.
There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

Cresthog

I personally want Rick Barnes, Mike Anderson, and the GW coach...Hobbs i think??

Huggins is a no
Snyder is a no
Sadler is a no

All this talk about luring Bruce Pearl from Tn wont happen..and i dont want him.

IF we cant got this route i say we go with an NBA'er
Paul Silas is he is interested would be great
What about the Lucas guy...his son played PG for OSU a few years ago and coached the Cavs..Ken Lucas(tell me if im wrong)
Majerus? Maybe try and get Donovan? Tubby?

Also...the WV coach Belein(sp?)...isnt WV is alma mater? I dont think we could get him
I like the Texas A&M coach Gillipsie. What about Pitino?

fineswine

Majerus is the best option, but his health will not allow it.  If you want someone with potential, Johnny Dawkins would be a great choice.  You are not going to get a big name here because everyone in the country knows this place is a circus with ring master Broyles. 

Cajun Hog

Quote from: SwineOnTheLine on February 16, 2006, 12:31:40 pm
Quote from: Hogblood on February 15, 2006, 10:27:05 pm
Its not even the end of February so far:
1. Huggins
2. Sutton
3. Majerus
4. Snyder

Point is we will have some names to choose from. We may need to get a designated driver but what the _ _ _ _?  I would spell out that last word but I have been warned and banned for bad spelling. Anyway the timing seems right and after March who knows what the list will look like.
you are a complete moron if you think Eddie Sutton will EVER coach again.And why the hell would you want that drunk old bastard to coach us anyway?Some of the people on this board are completely lost.

Show some class.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Why doesn't Johnny Dawkins name ever come up?  I realize he's never been a head coach, but you'd think that after playing for Coach K, and then being an assistant for him all these years, he'd have picked up a lot of Duke's winning ways.
Also, as for Majerus....No.  Eddie Sutton....Hell no.  I doubt Mark Few would be interested.  I like the idea of Pitino or Self.

[attachment deleted by admin]
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

wrightobe

Steve Alford from Iowa, but since he is a Indiana grad, they may call.  He coached at Missouri State University, Springfield, Mo, and he has won some big games at Iowa, and he had the reputation of standing up to Bobby Knight, when he was a player under Knight at Indiana

Pignominious

Here you go best canadites
1.  Rick Barnes UT
2.  Lorinzo Romar UW
3.  Karl Hobbs GW
4.  Mike Anderson
5.  Lary Eustachy
6.  Coach of any of the upper echalon MVC teams this year

All of those coaches are proven winners.  Mostly all of them are high major coaches. 
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

Cresthog

Romar is at his Alma Mater and will not leave UW

and Eustachy...well...

no thanks

crowhawg

How about Mike Newell at UAM??  Took UALR to the dance twice.  Doing a bang up job with the Weevils...  JUST KIDDING!!!  I have fallen off of the Heath band wagon hard after last night but unless he leaves on his own, he will be back next year.

WichitaStateRazorback

wishyjoshy

Quote from: BigNasty56187 on February 16, 2006, 10:10:12 pm
Lets go for Mark Tuergon

I sat at the RimRockers game tonight with a high school coach in the area.  He is one of the best in the state.  He has a kid going to play for him and said that he is probably the best up and coming coach in the nation.  I know some don't want to get an up and comer, but if we have to do that, he would be the way to go.

Dwight_K_Shrute

If he were still alive:  Dick Fick.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.