Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From My Seat

Started by Lady Razorback, October 01, 2017, 11:41:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hobhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on October 01, 2017, 07:30:43 pm
I wish all of y'all "fans" would go ahead and quit.  Quit going to games, quit posting on message boards, quit being whiners.

Seriously, we fricking won yesterday.

Word. But will never happen.

It's just the social media world we live in.

WilsonHog

Quote from: sowmonella on October 01, 2017, 04:18:22 pm
Wilson you nailed it exactly.

Let me add this. Some of those fans will come around and at least take a wait-and-see approach to any new coach. Others never will, and will take every opportunity to be critical.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on October 01, 2017, 12:33:24 pm
This is a lot better than those "From the Bench" novels that used to show up here.
Mr Head, You should come up with your own "Column" and entitle it "From The Stench"...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

rzrbk4life

Well said Lady Razorback. You should post more around here
Let's call those hogs!!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jcbville on October 01, 2017, 01:45:32 pm
Charlie Strong has NO interest in coaching at UofA. Im not sure how good a fit he'd be besides.

Thanks for your input Ms. Strong. I bet he had no interest in coaching USF before he went there.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hoggusamoungus

I wish all of y'all "fans" would go ahead and quit.  Quit going to games, quit posting on message boards, quit being whiners.

This sentence in the OP sums up a lot of the fan base. Just like any other school, supportive in the good times, not so much during the rough patches.   

I was that enthusiastic in  the CBP years, the Holtz years, a couple of years with HDN.

hogblitz

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on October 01, 2017, 07:47:23 pm
This sentence in the OP sums up a lot of the fan base. Just like any other school, supportive in the good times, not so much during the rough patches.   

I was that enthusiastic in  the CBP years, the Holtz years, a couple of years with HDN.
In my opinion CBB's entire tenure has been a rough patch. 

GuvHog

Yes indeed, we did win and even though it wasn't a conference win, it was a win the team needed and It was good to see them get it.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Gonzo

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 01, 2017, 01:51:09 pm
"...a united fan base..."

;D ;D ;D ;D

Let me tell you what will happen if we have a new coach next season. Before the press conference has even ended, a segment of our fan base will be pissed off because our new coach will not be the guy they thought we should hire.

FIRE WHOEVER'S NEXT!!!!!

Go Hogs!

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: Lady Razorback on October 01, 2017, 03:21:19 pm
Thanks for the constructive response.  So in Bielema's 5th year, this is a rebuilding year? I believe that is the year when coaches believe they have their players in the program and expect the team to reflect their coaching identity. 

I did a little research about our head coaches, other than interim or placeholders, in their first 4-5 years with the program.  I wanted to calculate their average wins per season. 

Holtz-45 wins over 5 years=9 wins per year
Hatfield-45 wins over 5 years=9 wins per year
Ford-26 wins over 5 years-5.2 wins per year
Nutt-39 wins over 5 years-7.8 wins per year
Petrino-34 wins over 4 years-8.6 wins per year
Bielema-25 wins over 4 previous years-6.25 wins per year

I don't want to make you vomit, but I am just curious how you see these numbers?

These numbers are totally irrelevant!  Every situation is different.  YES, the is a rebuilding year. . .loss of top receivers, loss of top running back, massive losses along the offensive line.  Losses on the defense.  THAT is the definition of rebuilding no matter which year it is.  You people have always hated Bret Beliema and wouldn't recognize the truth or facts if they slapped you in the face.  And, if you're going to compare, why not look at the strength of schedule.  There was a point during last year where it was pointed out that 1/2 of Bret Beliema's games have been AGAINST TOP 25 OPPONENTS.  How does that compare with all these other coaches?  Yes,  your blindness and ignorance do make me want to vomit.  And let us never forget that the JL Smith year was the aftermath of what Petrino did!  He is the one who set the program back years, NOT Houston Nutt, after all.

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: HardCore on October 01, 2017, 04:23:22 pm
Relax Jeff.  All is well....you have no accountability.  Must be a nice feeling.  I wouldn't know.   ;D

How did you know I'm Jeff Long?  Dang!  I thought I'd fooled all of you! 

Porkyswine

I give about $6k per yr.  I also committed to the stadium expansion.....but canceled last week.  They only vote i have is with my wallet.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 01, 2017, 12:53:55 pm
It appears the OP is female.

We have eight games left and it looks like we are in the process of figuring it out since USCe will be our most important game to date, we'll soon see.

How many players do you think believe South Carolina will beat us?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

cj_sez

October 01, 2017, 10:28:12 pm #63 Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 10:39:40 pm by cj_sez

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on October 01, 2017, 09:51:39 pm
These numbers are totally irrelevant!  Every situation is different.  YES, the is a rebuilding year. . .loss of top receivers, loss of top running back, massive losses along the offensive line.  Losses on the defense.  THAT is the definition of rebuilding no matter which year it is.  You people have always hated Bret Beliema and wouldn't recognize the truth or facts if they slapped you in the face.  And, if you're going to compare, why not look at the strength of schedule.  There was a point during last year where it was pointed out that 1/2 of Bret Beliema's games have been AGAINST TOP 25 OPPONENTS.  How does that compare with all these other coaches?  Yes,  your blindness and ignorance do make me want to vomit.  And let us never forget that the JL Smith year was the aftermath of what Petrino did!  He is the one who set the program back years, NOT Houston Nutt, after all.

No, the 5th year for any coach should not be a "rebuilding year". It is the year the coach is supposed to have a team formed of his own recruits to fully implement his game schemes. He should have recruited and replaced players in anticipation of their leaving and developed them each year.  Bielema is ineffective in the SEC. Alvarez handed him a team and watched over his shoulder at Wisconsin. Long is an administrator, not a sports guru and cannot provide such counsel.

Smith had Tyler Wilson and a number of good players, but was ineffective. Bielema's "best" year in 2015 was with Petrino players. People can point fingers at Petrino, Nutt, Smith or the Dr. Pepper guy, but that doesn't change the fact that Bielema has not developed a solid program by his 5th year.

Lady Razorback, your OP essentially describes my feelings as well. Rest assured, you won't make many of us want to "vomit" with your posts.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Lady Razorback on October 01, 2017, 11:41:36 am
     I realize we have a lot of football to play in this season, yet these are my feelings right now for the UA football program.  My family has been season ticket holders and donors my entire life.  I started going to games with my father 45 years ago, and once I became an adult I too became a donor and season ticket holder.  I was there when we beat Texas 42-11 in Fayetteville, and I flew home to watch us get obliterated by Miami 51-7.  An aside, I flew home next day to Dallas and Bobby Joe Edmonds was on my flight.  Some Hog fan asked him if he thought things would have been different if we had scored an early field goal that we had missed.  Edmonds responded, "Sure, it would have been 51-10."  All this to say that I have been around this program many years. 
     I am frustrated almost to the point of no return.  Yesterday, I found myself less than enthused about the whole game.  I realize CBP is not walking through those doors, and that those doors might not even be open and CBB is back for another year or more.  And, maybe the AD believes we are not a "win at all cost" kind of program.  I want a clean program however I want to cheer for a team that is not mired in mediocrity.  This program has embarked on the construction and improvement of football facilities in excess of $100 million dollars, which includes $100,000 suites.  This is not a MEDIOCRE price tag and requires the contributions of serious donors/fans with a greater than average level of enthusiasm.  I was that enthusiastic in  the CBP years, the Holtz years, a couple of years with HDN.  I have never felt that once since CBB stepped into this program.  Immediately after his hire five years ago, I decided to have an open mind, and I have to say my open mind is now closed.  Clearly, there are high costs to our facilities, coaches salaries, and salaries within the athletic department.  So are we also to believe that we are a program with "costs but not necessarily wins"?  I truly hope not.  The price we as fans pay for our Razorback football is great and I believe we deserve a commensurate level of success (wins) from our football program. 

I apologize that you watched that dismantling in 1987.

That 87 Miami (FL) team was probably the best coached football team to have ever stepped foot in Arkansas (Jimmy Johnson, Butch Davis, Art Kehoe, Dave Wannstedt; Tommy Tuberville was a Graduate Assistant).

The Razorback football program really has never recovered from that dismantling.

lasthog

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on October 01, 2017, 09:53:16 pm
How did you know I'm Jeff Long?  Dang!  I thought I'd fooled all of you!

A very obvious "tell."  Evertime you posted, you crossed your fingers. ;)

Piggfoot

Quote from: hogblitz on October 01, 2017, 02:10:53 pm
Rice, I think it will be a NUTT type exit.  There will NEVER be a headline that states Arkansas fires Bielema.  This is a very fluid situation and we will see exactly where we are at concerning this situation in about another 4 or 5 weeks.  We shall see.
There is so far no scandal associated with Bielema. Not so with the cell phone incident concerning Nutt and his lady friend just minutes before a game.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Piggfoot

Quote from: Lady Razorback on October 01, 2017, 03:21:19 pm
Thanks for the constructive response.  So in Bielema's 5th year, this is a rebuilding year? I believe that is the year when coaches believe they have their players in the program and expect the team to reflect their coaching identity. 

I did a little research about our head coaches, other than interim or placeholders, in their first 4-5 years with the program.  I wanted to calculate their average wins per season. 

Holtz-45 wins over 5 years=9 wins per year
Hatfield-45 wins over 5 years=9 wins per year
Ford-26 wins over 5 years-5.2 wins per year
Nutt-39 wins over 5 years-7.8 wins per year
Petrino-34 wins over 4 years-8.6 wins per year
Bielema-25 wins over 4 previous years-6.25 wins per year

I don't want to make you vomit, but I am just curious how you see these numbers?
This is the SEC and today's football. Holtz
and Hatfield were coaches of SWC teams.
Hatfield did not leave the with a good returning team. It took Ford awhile to build it up. He didn't get along well with Frank so like the others he was out.
Nutt came in to take advantage of Fords rebuilding, and at s time when the SEC was weak, plus he had D-Mac and others.
Petrino, a great offensive mind had some of Arkansas'best skill players in recent times.
Bielema came in to right a sinking ship.
It is unfair to compare Different coaches in different conferences with different players.
Nick Saban did not have a great record when he was at Mich for his time there.
Having said that I am disappointed in our record with Beliema but think it is a mistake to start over again.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

rtr

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 01, 2017, 07:33:56 pm
Let me add this. Some of those fans will come around and at least take a wait-and-see approach to any new coach. Others never will, and will take every opportunity to be critical.
There will always be a few like that in any program.  You said it best a couple of weeks ago, A coach will always have support at Arkansas as long there is hope.  I would add another word.  Confidence.  Confidence in the direction the coach is taking us.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

rtr

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on October 01, 2017, 09:51:39 pm
No, those numbers are salient.  Your agenda is showing.  Saying someone is blind, ignorant and make them want to vomit is uncalled for.  There is an old saying those who live in glass houses should not throw rocks. 
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 01, 2017, 12:45:21 pm
What was South Florida's record last year with the same playmaker QB who now has one more year of experience?  The yearning to put the Razorback football program in the hands of a coach who has failed in one of the richest and best schools and jobs in America...because he is from Arkansas...is baffling.

Who are the most successful coaches we have ever had?  Broyles.  Holtz.  Hatfield.  Petrino.  Only one of those guys is from Arkansas, and he is the one who played in the weakest conference and normally got his brains beaten out when he played another highly ranked team.

Curious...are you one of those who thinks Jeff Long doesn't belong here because of where he's from?  The term Carpetbagger to describe him is thrown around a lot in these parts, and I think it's funny that some of the same people who use that as their excuse for not liking Jeff Long will look the other way if there's success that comes from somewhere north of the Arkansas line.  Petrino, etc.   ;) 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on October 01, 2017, 02:47:57 pm

What a unique and original perspective!  I was moved to the point of wanting to vomit!

This is a rebuilding year.  Everyone seems to know that expect for some people who only want a change in coach.  They talked about it at length during the game yesterday.  Yet, here we are. . .people regurgitating the same crap day after day, week after week!  You are all pathetically boring already!  Please go cheer for Oklahoma University or some other such school that will allow men who beat women to play for their team and what not! Maybe Baylor is the type of program you can get behind!  Now there is a school who is willing to win at all costs. . .like so many of you are calling for!  Yes, go cheer for Baylor!

Coach BB seems to be a good man, but he's also got to be a winning football coach. We shouldn't be "rebuilding" in the 5th year of our coach.  We should have been "built" by now, with steady improvement.  It's just not happening.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on October 02, 2017, 01:06:12 am
Coach BB seems to be a good man, but he's also got to be a winning football coach. We shouldn't be "rebuilding" in the 5th year of our coach.  We should have been "built" by now, with steady improvement.  It's just not happening.

This is what has finally sealed it for me.  I bought into the concept and importance of stability, and the successful Razorback teams of yesteryear were always upper classmen laden, with a smattering of highly talented under classmen.  So...maybe someone who is intent on building things from the trenches up, has a low attrition rate, has a pretty strong record of sending players to the NFL, and can tap into the more cerebral nature of quality young men with character, could expand on that concept.  Makes sense on paper. 

Yet, here we are in year 5, and we're not seeing predominantly developed upper classmen out there on the field.  Why not?  Where's the failure?  It's not like we have 5 stars coming in displacing them. 

I get it that most coaches are going to have a down year once in awhile when you have key positions leave and the experience and talent level that's replacing them is not what it needs to be, but do you really need to "rebuild" after a 7 win season?  Wouldn't that just be termed "continue building."  If we end up winning 6 games this year, which is suddently looking possible with Ole Miss and LSU looking beatable, then next year when we have to start a new QB...is that another "rebuilding year" coming off a 6 win season?   ???     

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 02, 2017, 01:16:54 am
This is what has finally sealed it for me.  I bought into the concept and importance of stability, and the successful Razorback teams of yesteryear were always upper classmen laden, with a smattering of highly talented under classmen.  So...maybe someone who is intent on building things from the trenches up, has a low attrition rate, has a pretty strong record of sending players to the NFL, and can tap into the more cerebral nature of quality young men with character, could expand on that concept.  Makes sense on paper. 

Yet, here we are in year 5, and we're not seeing predominantly developed upper classmen out there on the field.  Why not?  Where's the failure?  It's not like we have 5 stars coming in displacing them. 

I get it that most coaches are going to have a down year once in awhile when you have key positions leave and the experience and talent level that's replacing them is not what it needs to be, but do you really need to "rebuild" after a 7 win season?  Wouldn't that just be termed "continue building."  If we end up winning 6 games this year, which is suddently looking possible with Ole Miss and LSU looking beatable, then next year when we have to start a new QB...is that another "rebuilding year" coming off a 6 win season?   ???     

first two years (2013/2014): free pass for bad years because of the previous situation
3rd year (2015): starting to do a little something, hoping that it is a small glimpse of things to come
4th year (2016): taking a step back, ends the year poorly
5th & 6th years (2017/2018): "rebuilding" years

Anyone who can't see why this is an untenable situation just doesn't get it.

Youngsta71701

If all of "y'all" fans quit then the program would fold from lack of money. Just saying. There will always be positive and negative people in every fan base no matter how much or how little the team is winning. It's all apart of it. Suck it up and keep doing you.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Jimbob111

Quote from: Svrdhd on October 01, 2017, 12:42:26 pm
It could be worse, you could have been at homecoming in Baton Rouge. And poor Tennessee. We are not a good football team and haven't been for some time, but there is another level of despair that we haven't hit yet.

You mean haven't hit it this year. Yet. It could have been worse, LSU could've lost to Toledo. Tenner could have lost to Texas Tech. At home.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

Jimbob111

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 02, 2017, 01:16:54 am

Beliema will always be rebuilding and will never get over the hump in the SEC. If you're already rebuilding in year 5, you never built anything in years 2 though 4. Year 4 and 5 should be the end result of years 1-3 and what we are seeing is that with his own players in the system, with his hand-picked coaching staff, and all the coaching these players have received from him and his assistants, the players are underdeveloped or undertalented or both.

That's not how you build anything. That's how you get rich by not even being mediocre. If your record is less than .500, you ARE NOT average, you are below average.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

GuvHog

Quote from: Jimbob111 on October 02, 2017, 08:34:40 am
You mean haven't hit it this year. Yet. It could have been worse, LSU could've lost to Toledo. Tenner could have lost to Texas Tech. At home.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Tennessee faithful feel like getting blown out 41-0 in Knoxville by Georgia is worse than losing to Toledo or Texas Tech. Their loss Saturday was pretty humiliating.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

DeltaBoy

Great Thread and Yes it a ton of Football left.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on October 02, 2017, 08:49:23 am
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Tennessee faithful feel like getting blown out 41-0 in Knoxville by Georgia is worse than losing to Toledo or Texas Tech. Their loss Saturday was pretty humiliating.

And I loved it!!!!!!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PonderinHog

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on October 01, 2017, 12:33:24 pm
This is a lot better than those "From the Bench" novels that used to show up here.
But not as good as those "From the Beach" posts.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 02, 2017, 10:19:52 am
But not as good as those "From the Beach" posts.

Or the "From the Stench" posts from that really great poster.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Athog

Quote from: Lady Razorback on October 01, 2017, 11:41:36 am
     I realize we have a lot of football to play in this season, yet these are my feelings right now for the UA football program.  My family has been season ticket holders and donors my entire life.  I started going to games with my father 45 years ago, and once I became an adult I too became a donor and season ticket holder.  I was there when we beat Texas 42-11 in Fayetteville, and I flew home to watch us get obliterated by Miami 51-7.  An aside, I flew home next day to Dallas and Bobby Joe Edmonds was on my flight.  Some Hog fan asked him if he thought things would have been different if we had scored an early field goal that we had missed.  Edmonds responded, "Sure, it would have been 51-10."  All this to say that I have been around this program many years. 
     I am frustrated almost to the point of no return.  Yesterday, I found myself less than enthused about the whole game.  I realize CBP is not walking through those doors, and that those doors might not even be open and CBB is back for another year or more.  And, maybe the AD believes we are not a "win at all cost" kind of program.  I want a clean program however I want to cheer for a team that is not mired in mediocrity.  This program has embarked on the construction and improvement of football facilities in excess of $100 million dollars, which includes $100,000 suites.  This is not a MEDIOCRE price tag and requires the contributions of serious donors/fans with a greater than average level of enthusiasm.  I was that enthusiastic in  the CBP years, the Holtz years, a couple of years with HDN.  I have never felt that once since CBB stepped into this program.  Immediately after his hire five years ago, I decided to have an open mind, and I have to say my open mind is now closed.  Clearly, there are high costs to our facilities, coaches salaries, and salaries within the athletic department.  So are we also to believe that we are a program with "costs but not necessarily wins"?  I truly hope not.  The price we as fans pay for our Razorback football is great and I believe we deserve a commensurate level of success (wins) from our football program. 

OK points made again!

GolfnHog

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 01, 2017, 11:33:29 pm
There is so far no scandal associated with Bielema. Not so with the cell phone incident concerning Nutt and his lady friend just minutes before a game.

Which so happened to be a Bret Beilema led Wisconsin team. Damn, the irony of it all.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"