Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Worried About Austin

Started by Boss Hog in the Arkansas, October 02, 2017, 10:16:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Over the weekend I watched as our offensive line struggled (at times) to block a team that they should've been able to have their way with. I also watched as Bama and Auburns defensive lines took their opposing QB to the wood shed. When we play against those teams, Austin WILL take some shots. At this point, im not even thinking about winning or losing, im just hoping he can make it through those games in 1 piece
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

PLHawg

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 02, 2017, 10:16:49 am
Over the weekend I watched as our offensive line struggled (at times) to block a team that they should've been able to have their way with. I also watched as Bama and Auburns defensive lines took their opposing QB to the wood shed. When we play against those teams, Austin WILL take some shots. At this point, im not even thinking about winning or losing, im just hoping he can make it through those games in 1 piece

If we're doing 5 step drop-back passes against either Bama or Auburn, AA won't make it through the game.  Furthermore, if that's what the coaches are planning to try to do, they should be fire immediately for incompetence and dereliction of duty.  Only chance he has is to move the pocket and hit short routes.

GuvHog

Saturday against NMS, the Hog O-Line didn't give up a sack. There is something to be said for that. The Hog defense, by the way, sacked the NMS QB twice.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

imtad16

4 Hurries and no sacks.. Anybody can send the house. On the big hits were they sending blitzers? How many in the box?

twistitup

Quote from: imtad16 on October 02, 2017, 12:38:39 pm
4 Hurries and no sacks.. Anybody can send the house. On the big hits were they sending blitzers? How many in the box?

We didn't play against a good defensive front on SAT - not a good measuring stick
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

DeltaBoy

He was not sacked this week and I hope to see some shotgun soon.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

imtad16

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2017, 12:42:36 pm
We didn't play against a good defensive front on SAT - not a good measuring stick

This is why I say anybody can send the house. Simple numbers if you blitz more players than there are players to block it doesn't matter the team you are playing against.  4 hurries aren't a lot. I'm not arguing our line is good and we shouldn't worry about it I'm just saying stats say there were 4 hurries. If NMSU sent 8 and with only 5 or 6 blockers against anyone the they could hurry or knock down the QB on any team.

imtad16

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2017, 12:42:36 pm

If those hurries and blitzes happened if they didn't blitz and they got to Allen with a 4 down front then yeah that's not great. However, if they sent 2 or 3 blitzers and we only had say what TE than that's more understandable.

I did like that fact that Allen was able to throw the ball away on all these plays. There were 3 or 4 sacks in the A&M game he held on to the ball too long.

jkstock04

I'm in the same boat you are there.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

imtad16

Yeah, Alabama beat Ole Miss down, but that is a result none of us are suprised by, but MSU did sack Auburn twice. I didn't watch the Miss State - Aub game. Did Stidham get hit much? Says he was hurried only once. How big were the sacks he got hit on?

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: GuvHog on October 02, 2017, 10:40:20 am
Saturday against NMS, the Hog O-Line didn't give up a sack. There is something to be said for that. The Hog defense, by the way, sacked the NMS QB twice.

True, OL didn't give up any sacks but AA was hit and hit hard numerous times...Remember, it's the blowup sack that routinely kills QBs, it's at the moment after the ball is thrown and the QB takes big shots while being exposed is what does most in...That was happening to AA against NMST...

Pigsknuckles

Not sacked does not mean the same thing as not hit. The targeting hit on Austin was not a sack, but he sure took a lick. They never should have got that close to him. I can think of 2-3rd and shorts, one inside the 5, where NMS simply stuffed runs at, or behind the line of scrimmage. Simply have to have better performance up front as we get into the meat of the SEC schedule.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

AugustaHog

I don't know exactly what differentiates a hurry or not, but he was definitely hurried more than 4 times.  Enos is going to have to be creative to keep him upright through both of those games.  I would chuck the naked boot out of the playbook for a couple games as well.  If they read it right, he's booting right into some heat. 

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: PLHawg on October 02, 2017, 10:29:43 am

If we're doing 5 step drop-back passes against either Bama or Auburn, AA won't make it through the game.  Furthermore, if that's what the coaches are planning to try to do, they should be fire immediately for incompetence and dereliction of duty.  Only chance he has is to move the pocket and hit short routes.

And maybe charged with attempted capital murder by way of malicious negligence evidencing an extreme indifference to human life
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on October 02, 2017, 02:08:18 pm
And maybe charged with attempted capital murder by way of malicious negligence evidencing an extreme indifference to human life

Pretty much.  I know he's a tough SOB like BA but the reason they're tough is from building up calluses from getting smammered every week!!!  :puke:

nchogg

He may not have been sacked but he did take quite a few hits. They got him from the middle and the sides. Our OL need to protect him or just run the ball so we don't have to worry about pass protection to keep him in those games.

1highhog

Quote from: GuvHog on October 02, 2017, 10:40:20 am

There is something to say about that, they were playing against New Mexico State and not and SEC team defense, the Aggies weekend for last had six sacks and their defense is not good up against what Auburn and especially what Alabama is doing.  I think that is what the OP was thinking of.

Al Boarland

Your concerned are warranted, OP. We will be playing from behind by multiple scores against both those teams. AA will be in lots-o-third and longs.

TeufelHog

One of my favorite discussions because it applied to BA and now AA . . . if the consistent protection is not provided by the OL, why won't he run the ball down field?  Don't want to hear "the possibility of injury" argument.  He's already going to take the punishment one way or the other.  It's his senior year, there is no tomorrow with respect to "next year."  A leader, a Team Captain, will put the team on his back and carry them down field when needed/if he has to.  It will be interesting to see if he will as the upcoming string of conference games unfolds.  As much of a competitor as he is, I have been surprised we haven't seen it more as of yet.  The opposing defenses don't respect it because they know he won't tuck it and run when his receivers are covered.  AA could get 10 yards per carry if he did because it's there EVERY.SINGLE.GAME

twistitup

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on October 02, 2017, 01:41:46 pm
Not sacked does not mean the same thing as not hit. The targeting hit on Austin was not a sack, but he sure took a lick. They never should have got that close to him. I can think of 2-3rd and shorts, one inside the 5, where NMS simply stuffed runs at, or behind the line of scrimmage. Simply have to have better performance up front as we get into the meat of the SEC schedule.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

MuskogeeHogFan

GET. RID. OF. THE. BALL.

Can't stand there statuesque in nature just hoping that receivers will get open in another second or two. Competitor? Yes. Leader? Yes. Trying to put the whole team on your back? Yes. Can't do this? Yes. Get rid of the ball in 3-1/2 to 4 seconds or get killed. Can't blame the O-Line for this in 50% of the attempted passes.
Go Hogs Go!

regi

Some of hits are on him,  he has courage,  but if you see a clear blitz,  coming to the side your bootleg has you running to,  audible. Or get a T. O.

PorkSoda

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 02, 2017, 06:56:18 pm
GET. RID. OF. THE. BALL.

Can't stand there statuesque in nature just hoping that receivers will get open in another second or two. Competitor? Yes. Leader? Yes. Trying to put the whole team on your back? Yes. Can't do this? Yes. Get rid of the ball in 3-1/2 to 4 seconds or get killed. Can't blame the O-Line for this in 50% of the attempted passes.
that and he has to actually throw them open.  if he waits till they get open, the throw is already late.

there just doesn't seem to be much chemistry between the WRs and the QB.  He doesnt trust they will be there, so he holds on to the ball until its too late.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: regi on October 02, 2017, 07:01:20 pm
Some of hits are on him,  he has courage,  but if you see a clear blitz,  coming to the side your bootleg has you running to,  audible. Or get a T. O.

Exactly. Don't purposely put yourself in jeopardy. I applaud his courage, but it doesn't serve us well when we can throw it away and live to play another play. And yes, where are the audibles at the LOS if he can read defenses, their tendencies by down, distance and field position? Or is he given that option? I would think that he is, but don't know for certain. If he isn't and he is capable of doing so, he needs to be given that option at the LOS.

But again, what do any of us know? Nada! We speculate.
Go Hogs Go!