Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Breakdown of 2018-2019 Incoming Players

Started by The_Iceman, March 18, 2018, 09:01:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

JALEN HARRIS, 6'2" Point Guard, 3-star in high school (New Mexico Transfer)
Harris had to sit out this year after transferring from New Mexico. He will bring a quickness and ball handling ability at the point guard position we have not had since probably Fortson. I'd expect Harris to be the starter at PG next season and take on the role of a facilitator as penetrator. At New Mexico, he had games of:
13pts and 4 asts
15pts, 9rebs, 4asts, 3stls
11pts, 3rebs, and 4asts
4pts, 3rebs, and 8 asts

DESI SILLS, 6'1" guard from Jonesboro, 3-star
Maybe the most improved player in the 2018 class. Has added strength and improved his ball handling and shooting his senior year.

KEYSHAWN EMBERY, 6'3" guard, 4-star
Think Jaylen Barford when you think of Embery. He is a combo guard that can score in so many ways. Not as thick as Barford at this point, but plays with the same strength. Great out of state pickup for Mike.

ISAIAH JOE, 6'4" shooting guard, 4-star
If you had to ask me what player will one day be All-SEC, I would pick Joe. Think Daryl Macon, but with a much higher ceiling. Yes, I said it. He is one of the top shooters in the country, but he wasn't satisfied with that. He has added excellent ball handling to his game now as well. If he stays 4 years, he will be in the Top 10 of career Razorback scorers.

JORDAN PHILLIPS, 6'6" small forward, 3-star
Phillips started his career as a point guard, but has grown into a small forward. He is a Darious Hall clone. Will backup Hall at SF and provide the same set of skills on defense and offense.

REGGIE CHANEY, 6'8" power forward, 4-star
This is the power forward we have been looking for. Let's hope its not too late for him to pair with Gafford. For comparison, I think of Grant Williams at Tennessee. Marshawn Powell is another comparison. Great footwork around the basket. Knows how to finish strong. Very explosive athlete in the open floor as well. Should be the starter at PF pretty quickly next year. Far superior talent than Bailey and Gabe.

ETHAN HENDERSON, 6'9" forward/center, 4-star
Elite athlete. He is not a power forward offensively. He is more of an undersized Center. Doesn't have the ball handling or shot to play the 4 in our system, but that is ok. Comparison wise, he reminds me of Jordan Mickey when Mickey came out of high school. Mostly a dunker and around the rim finisher. If he was 6'11", he might be the next Gafford. Will backup Gafford next year if Gafford returns.

WILD CARD - KHALIL GARLAND, 6'6" wing/guard, 4-star (Top 60 in 2017 ESPN) (Redshirt - Medical)
If cleared, we are essentially adding the top recruit to the class. A top 60 ESPN talent in 2017, Garland is a do-everything wing player that is elite at attacking the rim in both the half court and full court. For an Arkansas comparison, I think of Sonny Weems a little bit. Really improved his shot during his senior season, and I'm sure has been working on those skills during this redshirt year. I still don't think he is ever going to be cleared, but until he isn't, I'll still include him.

The_Iceman

Our lineup if the basketball gods decide to bless Mike Anderson:

PG: 6'2" Harris
SG: 6'5" Jones
SF: 6'6" Hall
PF: 6'8" Chaney
C: 6'11" Gafford

Guards: Embery, Joe, Garland, Sills
Forwards: Phillips, Bailey, Osabuohien

If things do not go Mike's way like in the 2015 off-season, the lineup will look like:

PF: 6'7" Bailey
C: 6'8" Chaney

Guards: Embery, Joe, Sills
Forwards: Phillips, Osabuohien
Posts: Henderson, Late Addition (Tory Miller-Stewart?, Connor Vanover?)

I do not think Jones will end up starting by conference play. His skill set right now is more of a shooter off the bench (let's hope his numbers improve next year). I'd expect Embery or Joe to end up starting at SG.

bphi11ips

Very informative summary. Thanks for posting.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

DenaoStyle

Next year's roster will easily be the most talented group of players under Coach Anderson.  I'm as disappointed as anyone with this year's end result but remain optimistic considering the uptick in recruiting we've seen from Coach Anderson over the last couple of years.  If Gafford comes back and Garland gets cleared next year could be a really fun team.  I just hope if Gafford leaves we don't take a reach as a replacement and then have to endure a lesser talented player eating up way too many minutes.

The_Iceman

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 18, 2018, 11:31:33 am
Very informative summary. Thanks for posting.

The 2018-2019 season has a lot of uncertainty, starting with Gafford. Then Garland.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 18, 2018, 12:15:09 pm
The 2018-2019 season has a lot of uncertainty, starting with Gafford. Then Garland.
I just feel like there is optimism for Garlands return, it doesn't seem like they are actively looking for a replacement. I believe Gafford is going to end up with a back end grade and returns for 1 more year. Thanks for all the info, I really like the length, athleticism, and skill of the incoming recruits to go with the returnees, been a long time since we have had a team full of athletes along with ample scoring ability. Henderson and Gabe may be the only players on the roster that would not be primary offense options.

moses_007

Well, if Anderson can equal what Cal does at UK with freshmen, we will have a good team. 

TNhawgfan

Quote from: moses_007 on March 18, 2018, 01:43:12 pm
Well, if Anderson can equal what Cal does at UK with freshmen, we will have a good team.
Cal always has a top 5 class made up of multiple 5 stars. Our one 5 star is now a bulldog
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

BannerMountainMan

Everyone says Isiah Joe is the best shooter, it looks to me you could add Desi to that list after seeing this video. Thoughts?
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

The_Iceman

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 18, 2018, 03:01:14 pm
Everyone says Isiah Joe is the best shooter, it looks to me you could add Desi to that list after seeing this video. Thoughts?

No one misses in a highlight video. Joe is an ELITE shooter. Sills is a good shooter.

GoHogs1091

Embery, Phillips, and Chaney will be good SEC players.

I am not sold on the rest.  Hopefully, the rest will develop and improve while they are here.

The_Iceman

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 18, 2018, 03:11:12 pm
Embery, Phillips, and Chaney will be good SEC players.

I am not sold on the rest.  Hopefully, the rest will develop and improve while they are here.

You are sold on Phillips, but not Isaiah Joe?

GoHogs1091

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 18, 2018, 03:19:11 pm
You are sold on Phillips, but not Isaiah Joe?

The level of competition Joe faced here in Arkansas may make him have to develop some at the collegiate level.

He is certainly not a bad player, but the level of competition he will be facing will be much stronger at the collegiate level, and it may take some time for him.

Waldron_Hog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 18, 2018, 03:27:09 pm
The level of competition Joe faced here in Arkansas may make him have to develop some at the collegiate level.

He is certainly not a bad player, but the level of competition he will be facing will be much stronger at the collegiate level, and it may take some time for him.

Like it affected Gafford?

Waldron_Hog

Plus, if only he had played well against elite competition in AAU  ball.  Oh wait, he did? Hmm

GoHogs1091

Kevin McPherson

First off, I love this thread.

Secondly, if Gafford and Garland are both in a Hog uni next season, I think Arkansas will FINALLY -- in year 8 -- have the players to execute CMA's defensive schemes. That team will make plenty of mistakes and lose games early, but come February nobody will look forward to playing them, and I think they'll be on the Bubble and will find their way into the NCAAT.

Here are my thoughts on a 2018-19 Hog team w/Gafford and Garland ...

* Daniel Gafford ... IF he returns, is going to play 31-35 mins a game. I believe he's learning to limit fouling enough to do that, and I'd expect a stat jump to 17-18 pts, 9-10 rbs, and 2.7-3.2 blks per game. Playing with a faciliator-first PG will also help him (see Kingsley with Durham in '15-16). All SEC 1st team lock and potential All American. Top 5-10 lottery pick in NBA draft.

* Darious Hall ... he's a strong, athletic 6-6 with length (7-0 wingspan). He has more skill and BBall IQ than he showed this season, partly because he was a freshman adjusting to the high-major game, but mostly because he never consistently got the minutes coupled with the veteran backcourt personnel not being willing and/or capable of sharing the ball. He's Michael Qualls 2.0 strictly in terms of a guy who has emerging perimeter skill combined with a physical dog-mentality when it comes to rebounding and attacking the rim without fear -- and like MQ, Hall's on a trajectory for All SEC. Hall is bigger, stronger, better defensively than Qualls, but MQ had better hops. Still, Qualls is the best Hog SF/wing in the CMA era, and Hall has a chance to move that needle. His 14.8 mins, 5.1 pts, 3.1 rbs, 50% FGs and 40.6% 3-pt % were solid numbers, FT shooting (56.3%) and turnovers (1.1) must improve and will.

* Khalil Garland ... would have made Arkansas 2 games better in the W column at minimum, and maybe 3-4 games better. Would have taken many of Beard's minutes because at 6-5 he is an explosive athlete, a quality defender, can handle and facilitate well enough to help at the 1, has a high Bball IQ, and he's probably the best downhill finisher I've seen at the HS level in Arkansas. If he gets cleared, I see him comparing with a Ky Madden in terms of versatility, but with Ron Huery's (or Weems') athletic slashing game. Another baller with All SEC potential down the line.

* Gabe Osabuohien ... I told his HS coach as soon as Arkansas got him last summer that he was immediately the Hogs' best defender at the 4-spot, and you got a glimpse of that when he started getting meaningful minutes late in SEC play. He can guard 4s and 5s because he is strong and athletic at 6-8 with a 7-1 wingspan, and he also has the foot quickness and flexibility to sit down and defend guards on the perimeter. He takes charges, gets deflections, and maintains good ball-you-man positioning. Tends to try to do too much offensively at times, but he's a good passer with some 3 skill to get from the wing to the paint.

* Jalen Harris ... CMA's only facilitator-first guard since Jahbril Durham, but I'm not sold on how good he'll be playing at the high-major level in a very good SEC ... watched him in the Red-White game -- I know, I know, it's a glorified practice and a miniscule sample size -- and from what I saw, his shot was a significant weakness (even true PGs need to make shots) and though he is fast with a burst, his "feel" (or timing) for moving and getting off the ball was a tick slow. Again, not nearly enough to make absolute judgments, but I did not get warm-fuzzies for the future. The redshirt year provides an opportunity to learn the system, work on conditioning and skill, and gel with teammates on and off the court. We've seen guys like Alandise Harris and Dusty Hannahs grow and develop after sitting out that transfer-redshirt season, but we also saw Keaton Miles and Dustin Thomas (the latter could have been a consistent, quality starting SEC role player but never embraced his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chances). Will be interesting to see how good Harris is defensively at the 1, which was a HUGE problem for Arkansas with Beard, Macon, and Barford rotating and matching up with other team's PGs.

^^^^^ As much as I like the 2018 class, the 2017 group is the best CMA has signed. Now, if Gafford is a 1-and-done and Garland does not get cleared, we'll never know for sure, but that group 1 through 5 is better talent-wise, size-wise, length-wise, athletically, basketball-IQ-wise, and "grit"-wise than any group Arkansas has brought in since the mid-90s.

* Isaiah Joe ... he was the best player in Arkansas in 2017-18, and his evolution in the middle-game on offense has been fun to watch. Has NBA range and is one of the best shooters in the country -- we already knew that -- but he's added a nice dribble-drive game -- can go left or right, finish with either hand within 10 feet, can leave the floor and finish with touch either going toward the basket or fading, and can get to the rim. Playing some PG for FSNorthside helped him tighten up his handles, but make no mistake he is a SG/wing at the high-major level. Now, he needs to add upper and lower body weight/strength for the college game (maybe a bit moreso than the avg incoming freshman), so as a rookie we might not see all he has in his bag offensively. Efficient shooter-scorer who understands the importance of moving and sharing the ball, playing off the ball, and spacing. Deceptively athletic, quick, and underrated defender. Gets a lot of deflections and steals, using his length and smart anticipation. Coachable, great teammate. All SEC potential down the line.

* Ethan Henderson ... he's a 4/5 who initally will back up Gafford at the 5. I think Arkansas will typically have an offensive threat at the 4 on the floor when Henderson is in the game (i.e Chaney). Ethan and Gabe will be the most versatile front-court defenders because of their ability to handle guards and wings out on the floor after ball-screen switches, and both can defend 4s and help on 5s to spell Gafford. Henderson is a bigger leaper than Gafford, but does not have the constant motor or attack-mode "edge" that DG consistently shows. Henderson is a legit 6-8 (maybe a hair taller than that) with good length and explosive athleticism, but limited ball skill. He needs to add weight/strength, continue to work on mid-range game and low-post moves, and he needs to learn how to play with high-motor and sense of urgency more consistently. Having covered Ethan extensively in HS and on the Adidas grassroots circuit, he played his best games against the best competition, so that is encouraging. He played his best, most-consistent basketball at the end of this HS season for Parkview. If he ever puts it all together, he has Derek Hood potential as a volume rebounder and blue-collar scorer (putbacks, transition, etc.).

* Desi Sills ... he's a 6-1 lefty whose hard-nosed brand of play reminds me of guys like Robert Sheppard, Clint McDaniel, and Corey Beck. Those guards, particularly Beck, played "bigger" than they were, and Sills is in that mode. He's strong, quick, physical, and he loves to slash, play the passing lanes, and attack. Improved 3-point shooter. He's not a PG, and he's not a natural SG, but his belief in himself is what makes him a backcourt winner. I could see him having a meaningful role early because he not only embraces defense, he seems a perfect fit for Arkansas's style, plus he's already strong for a HS player transitioning to college.

* Reggie Chaney ... the best offensive option at the 4 for Arkansas in a long, long time. Probably between 6-7 and 6-8, but he's strong in his upper body, has plus-athleticism exploding to the basket, and he just knows how to finish inside. Has good enough handles to beat bigger, slower forwards off the dribble, and he's a fantastic finisher in transition. If he adds a reliable mid-range / face-up game, look out! Between highlights and watching full games online this season, he seems underrated to me. I have not seen him play in person yet, but will soon. From what I've seen, he has All SEC potential down the line. You put him on the floor with Gafford, and it will be a formidable 1-2 punch inside. I also like thim paired with Henderson on the frontline.

* Keyshawn Embery ... by July after competing on the Under Armour Association grassroots circuit, Key had played himself into a Top 100, highly coveted prospect ... going to IMG Academy was a good move, IMO, to play against the best and develop ... shin splints kept him out for awhile, and I'm not sure he regained the form or level he was playing at over the summer. Still, he is a versatile perimeter scorer. At 6-2 / 6-3, he's able to set up his 3-point game off the bounce going left or right, he's good at one-dribble step-back and catch-&-shoot. An effective slasher who has shown he can finish through contact. Has dog in his game at both ends of the court. Another player who I'd say has All SEC potential down the line.

* Jordan Phillips ... have not seen anything but highlights, and without seeing continuous game action, I'm reluctant to make projections. The fact he did not play on any of the major circuits is another reason to pump the brakes on evaluating him, but he still garnered national Top 150ish status despite not playing on the top circuits. Based on the highlights and my interactions with Jordan, I envision a confident, smart, determined player. He's at least 6-6 and probably pushing 6-7, has a great frame / solidly built with good athleticism, and his skill level (again, in highlights) impresses me at his size. I can't wait to see him play in person in a couple of weeks. Something tells me Arkansas has landed a real gem here.

^^^^^ Potentially, this is CMA's best class because all 6 players appear to be 4-year players with at least half having All SEC potential down the road, whereas 2017 class may never play a single game together (thinking Gafford and Garland unresolved situations).

* CJ Jones ... has not shown me that he can handle a starting role or starter's minutes. Offers very little if he's not knocking down catch-&-shoot 3s or one-dribble mid-range jumpers ... poor ball-handler, can't create his own shot, lacks court awareness and vision, weak defender ... at 6-5 with hops and quick-release, he's got the physcial tools to be good at both ends ... we'll see how much he develops in the off-season = if he makes a soph-to-junior leap like Ky Madden did, look out! I just don't see it. But even if he doesn't improve a lot, he could still be a 16-20 minute player who gives efficient volume scoring relative to minutes played.

* Adrio Bailey ... undersized combo-4 with explosive athleticism, but has not shown enough in the mid-range -- neither with shot nor good enough handles to drive -- to be effective when teams predictably leave the middle of the floor open while covering up guards and Gafford. A good help/weakside defender because of his quickness and athleticism, but gambles too much and does not have the strength or size to handle bigs consistently inside. Would not rule out him developing enough to be in the Top 7-8 rotation next season, but as it stands now I see better frontcourt pieces in '18-19.

rude1

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on March 18, 2018, 03:43:26 pm

Secondly, if Gafford and Garland are both in a Hog uni next season, I think Arkansas will FINALLY -- in year 8 -- have the players to execute CMA's defensive schemes. That team will make plenty of mistakes and lose games early, but come February nobody will look forward to playing them, and I think they'll be on the Bubble and will find their way into the NCAAT.

* Daniel Gafford ... IF he returns, is going to play 31-35 mins a game. I believe he's learning to limit fouling enough to do that, and I'd expect a stat jump to 17-18 pts, 9-10 rbs, and 2.7-3.2 blks per game. Playing with a faciliator-first PG will also help him (see Kingsley with Durham in '15-16). All SEC 1st team lock and potential All American. Top 5-10 lottery pick in NBA draft.

* Darious Hall ... he's a strong, athletic 6-6 with length (7-0 wingspan). He has more skill and BBall IQ than he showed this season, partly because he was a freshman adjusting to the high-major game, but mostly because he never consistently got the minutes coupled with the veteran backcourt personnel not being willing and/or capable of sharing the ball. He's Michael Qualls 2.0 strictly in terms of a guy who has emerging perimeter skill combined with a physical dog-mentality when it comes to rebounding and attacking the rim without fear -- and like MQ, Hall's on a trajectory for All SEC. Hall is bigger, stronger, better defensively than Qualls, but MQ had better hops. Still, Qualls is the best Hog SF/wing in the CMA era, and Hall has a chance to move that needle. His 14.8 mins, 5.1 pts, 3.1 rbs, 50% FGs and 40.6% 3-pt % were solid numbers, FT shooting (56.3%) and turnovers (1.1) must improve and will.

* Khalil Garland ... would have made Arkansas 2 games better in the W column at minimum, and maybe 3-4 games better. Would have taken many of Beard's minutes because at 6-5 he is an explosive athlete, a quality defender, can handle and facilitate well enough to help at the 1, has a high Bball IQ, and he's probably the best downhill finisher I've seen at the HS level in Arkansas. If he gets cleared, I see him comparing with a Ky Madden in terms of versatility, but with Ron Huery's (or Weems') athletic slashing game. Another baller with All SEC potential down the line.

* Gabe Osabuohien ... I told his HS coach as soon as Arkansas got him last summer that he was immediately the Hogs' best defender at the 4-spot, and you got a glimpse of that when he started getting meaningful minutes late in SEC play. He can guard 4s and 5s because he is strong and athletic at 6-8 with a 7-1 wingspan, and he also has the foot quickness and flexibility to sit down and defend guards on the perimeter. He takes charges, gets deflections, and maintains good ball-you-man positioning. Tends to try to do too much offensively at times, but he's a good passer with some 3 skill to get from the wing to the paint.

* Jalen Harris ... CMA's only facilitator-first guard since Jahbril Durham, but I'm not sold on how good he'll be playing at the high-major level in a very good SEC ... watched him in the Red-White game -- I know, I know, it's a glorified practice and a miniscule sample size -- and from what I saw, his shot was a significant weakness (even true PGs need to make shots) and though he is fast with a burst, his "feel" (or timing) for moving and getting off the ball was a tick slow. Again, not nearly enough to make absolute judgments, but I did not get warm-fuzzies for the future. The redshirt year provides an opportunity to learn the system, work on conditioning and skill, and gel with teammates on and off the court. We've seen guys like Alandise Harris and Dusty Hannahs grow and develop after sitting out that transfer-redshirt season, but we also saw Keaton Miles and Dustin Thomas (the latter could have been a consistent, quality starting SEC role player but never embraced his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chances). Will be interesting to see how good Harris is defensively at the 1, which was a HUGE problem for Arkansas with Beard, Macon, and Barford rotating and matching up with other team's PGs.

^^^^^ As much as I like the 2018 class, the 2017 group is the best CMA has signed. Now, if Gafford is a 1-and-done and Garland does not get cleared, we'll never know for sure, but that group 1 through 5 is better talent-wise, size-wise, length-wise, athletically, basketball-IQ-wise, and "grit"-wise than any group Arkansas has brought in since the mid-90s.

* Isaiah Joe ... he was the best player in Arkansas in 2017-18, and his evolution in the middle-game on offense has been fun to watch. Has NBA range and is one of the best shooters in the country -- we already knew that -- but he's added a nice dribble-drive game -- can go left or right, finish with either hand within 10 feet, can leave the floor and finish with touch either going toward the basket or fading, and can get to the rim. Playing some PG for FSNorthside helped him tighten up his handles, but make no mistake he is a SG/wing at the high-major level. Now, he needs to add upper and lower body weight/strength for the college game (maybe a bit moreso than the avg incoming freshman), so as a rookie we might not see all he has in his bag offensively. Efficient shooter-scorer who understands the importance of moving and sharing the ball, playing off the ball, and spacing. Deceptively athletic, quick, and underrated defender. Gets a lot of deflections and steals, using his length and smart anticipation. Coachable, great teammate. All SEC potential down the line.

* Ethan Henderson ... he's a 4/5 who initally will back up Gafford at the 5. I think Arkansas will typically have an offensive threat at the 4 on the floor when Henderson is in the game (i.e Chaney). Ethan and Gabe will be the most versatile front-court defenders because of their ability to handle guards and wings out on the floor after ball-screen switches, and both can defend 4s and help on 5s to spell Gafford. Henderson is a bigger leaper than Gafford, but does not have the constant motor or attack-mode "edge" that DG consistently shows. Henderson is a legit 6-8 (maybe a hair taller than that) with good length and explosive athleticism, but limited ball skill. He needs to add weight/strength, continue to work on mid-range game and low-post moves, and he needs to learn how to play with high-motor and sense of urgency more consistently. Having covered Ethan extensively in HS and on the Adidas grassroots circuit, he played his best games against the best competition, so that is encouraging. He played his best, most-consistent basketball at the end of this HS season for Parkview. If he ever puts it all together, he has Derek Hood potential as a volume rebounder and blue-collar scorer (putbacks, transition, etc.).

* Desi Sills ... he's a 6-1 lefty whose hard-nosed brand of play reminds me of guys like Robert Sheppard, Clint McDaniel, and Corey Beck. Those guards, particularly Beck, played "bigger" than they were, and Sills is in that mode. He's strong, quick, physical, and he loves to slash, play the passing lanes, and attack. Improved 3-point shooter. He's not a PG, and he's not a natural SG, but his belief in himself is what makes him a backcourt winner. I could see him having a meaningful role early because he not only embraces defense, he seems a perfect fit for Arkansas's style, plus he's already strong for a HS player transitioning to college.

* Reggie Chaney ... the best offensive option at the 4 for Arkansas in a long, long time. Probably between 6-7 and 6-8, but he's strong in his upper body, has plus-athleticism exploding to the basket, and he just knows how to finish inside. Has good enough handles to beat bigger, slower forwards off the dribble, and he's a fantastic finisher in transition. If he adds a reliable mid-range / face-up game, look out! Between highlights and watching full games online this season, he seems underrated to me. I have not seen him play in person yet, but will soon. From what I've seen, he has All SEC potential down the line. You put him on the floor with Gafford, and it will be a formidable 1-2 punch inside. I also like thim paired with Henderson on the frontline.

* Keyshawn Embery ... by July after competing on the Under Armour Association grassroots circuit, Key had played himself into a Top 100, highly coveted prospect ... going to IMG Academy was a good move, IMO, to play against the best and develop ... shin splints kept him out for awhile, and I'm not sure he regained the form or level he was playing at over the summer. Still, he is a versatile perimeter scorer. At 6-2 / 6-3, he's able to set up his 3-point game off the bounce going left or right, he's good at one-dribble step-back and catch-&-shoot. An effective slasher who has shown he can finish through contact. Has dog in his game at both ends of the court. Another player who I'd say has All SEC potential down the line.

* Jordan Phillips ... have not seen anything but highlights, and without seeing continuous game action, I'm reluctant to make projections. The fact he did not play on any of the major circuits is another reason to pump the brakes on evaluating him, but he still garnered national Top 150ish status despite not playing on the top circuits. Based on the highlights and my interactions with Jordan, I envision a confident, smart, determined player. He's at least 6-6 and probably pushing 6-7, has a great frame / solidly built with good athleticism, and his skill level (again, in highlights) impresses me at his size. I can't wait to see him play in person in a couple of weeks. Something tells me Arkansas has landed a real gem here.

^^^^^ Potentially, this is CMA's best class because all 6 players appear to be 4-year players with at least half having All SEC potential down the road, whereas 2017 class may never play a single game together (thinking Gafford and Garland unresolved situations).

* CJ Jones ... has not shown me that he can handle a starting role or starter's minutes. Offers very little if he's not knocking down catch-&-shoot 3s or one-dribble mid-range jumpers ... poor ball-handler, can't create his own shot, lacks court awareness and vision, weak defender ... at 6-5 with hops and quick-release, he's got the physcial tools to be good at both ends ... we'll see how much he develops in the off-season = if he makes a soph-to-junior leap like Ky Madden did, look out! I just don't see it. But even if he doesn't improve a lot, he could still be a 16-20 minute player who gives efficient volume scoring relative to minutes played.

* Adrio Bailey ... undersized combo-4 with explosive athleticism, but has not shown enough in the mid-range -- neither with shot nor good enough handles to drive -- to be effective when teams predictably leave the middle of the floor open while covering up guards and Gafford. A good help/weakside defender because of his quickness and athleticism, but gambles too much and does not have the strength or size to handle bigs consistently inside. Would not rule out him developing enough to be in the Top 7-8 rotation next season, but as it stands now I see better frontcourt pieces in '18-19.

Good break down, enjoyed the read.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 18, 2018, 03:43:12 pm
Apples to oranges comparison.  Gafford is 6'11".
I don't think Joe will be banging with the Centers 😂 What a dumb post
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

batmanfan

Kev,when do you think we will finally get word on Garland?

Also, any chance you think a player or two may transfer?
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

Pinto

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 18, 2018, 03:27:09 pm

You can say this about 80% of high school players heading to the next level. Malik didn't have a problem adjusting. James Anderson played 2A basketball in Arkansas and was the Big 12 POY. I saw Zay put up like 37 points vs NLR. I dare you to tell me they lack competition...

Pinto

Great write up as usual Kev. I would say Reggie is the best offensive 4 we've had since Marshawn Powell. People forget how talented Marshawn was. If Reggie can have a similar freshman season as Marshawn, we would be very tough.

WorfHog

The_Iceman

Quote from: WorfHog on March 18, 2018, 06:09:55 pm
Ice, I'm glad you made this post.

No problem. And thanks to Kevin for adding his input.

thehill1414

Excellent thread. Thank you Ice and Kevin for all the info.

Kevin, I too watched the red-white game and was not impressed with the performance of Harris. He is lightning quick, but is so slender I am worried what will happen to him on the defensive end. I also don't know that he can currently finish around the rim, so that's got to be developed quickly. I do agree however that a redshirt year was the best thing he could do and he has the potential to be a solid player next year.

I think CJ Jones is the big key next year. He has all the tools to be a great player, he just hasn't been able to put it together. I see a big jump coming from him as he has to know he is potentially our biggest offensive threat next season. The man just needs confidence. It reminds me of Anthlon Bell where you'd see glimpses of a good player, but then he'd go on a massive miss streak. The stroke is good, it's all in his head. I'm confident this guy will find it and be much improved - we sure need him to be.

Pinto

Quote from: thehill1414 on March 19, 2018, 12:57:10 pm

I think CJ Jones is the big key next year. He has all the tools to be a great player, he just hasn't been able to put it together. I see a big jump coming from him as he has to know he is potentially our biggest offensive threat next season. The man just needs confidence. It reminds me of Anthlon Bell where you'd see glimpses of a good player, but then he'd go on a massive miss streak. The stroke is good, it's all in his head. I'm confident this guy will find it and be much improved - we sure need him to be.

Completely agree. I can see CJ average 15 ppg next season if he puts in work this offseason and comes back confident. The preseason tour will help them out a lot

Cure

Why so down on Osa? He maybe raw, but he has a very great frame and a high ceiling if he can find a consistent jumper. One of the better athletes on the team easily.

If they can get Garland though, that'd be huge. I do like Embery bringing a better pace at the offensive end, they've needed that in a big way.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pinto on March 19, 2018, 01:11:07 pm
Completely agree. I can see CJ average 15 ppg next season if he puts in work this offseason and comes back confident. The preseason tour will help them out a lot

CJ will never average 15 ppg unless he develops some sort of off the dribble game. Considering he has shown zero ability to attack the basket in the half court, that is a lot to ask.

labb

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 19, 2018, 02:35:48 pm
CJ will never average 15 ppg unless he develops some sort of off the dribble game. Considering he has shown zero ability to attack the basket in the half court, that is a lot to ask.
Got to agree with Iceman on this one. There were those that said the same thing about him this year...He is, at this time, a one trick pony and that is a spot up shooter. Nothing off of the dribble.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Cure on March 19, 2018, 01:23:53 pm
Why so down on Osa? He maybe raw, but he has a very great frame and a high ceiling if he can find a consistent jumper. One of the better athletes on the team easily.

If they can get Garland though, that'd be huge. I do like Embery bringing a better pace at the offensive end, they've needed that in a big way.

I didn't not realize how good of an athlete Osabuohien was until I saw him in markups during the Kentucky game. The problem is in a half court setting, it doesn't do him much good unless he can attack the rim with it.

Osabuohien needs to spend the offseason building up his leg and core strength. He just isn't very sturdy out there, always falling  and off balanced.

The_Iceman

Quote from: labb on March 19, 2018, 02:40:51 pm
Got to agree with Iceman on this one. There were those that said the same thing about him this year...He is, at this time, a one trick pony and that is a spot up shooter. Nothing off of the dribble.

Dusty Hannahs averaged 14.4 ppg his senior year, and shot 119 free throws. Anthlon Bell averaged 15.7 his senior year, and shot 82 free throws.

CJ Jones has shot 31 free throws in his career.

labb

And i watched Dusty put the ball on his hip for protection and attack the rim when he was in HS.

Beaverfever

Anybody know what happens with Garland's spot if he can't play next year?  Obviously the kid should get to keep his scholarship but if he can't play when will we get to use his scholarship on the recruiting trail?  I know the numbers say we won't have many spots for next year's recruiting class but I think we could end up with 3-5 open spots and I hope we are recruiting with that in mind.  We need to get better at utilizing all 13 available scholarships. 

Cargill A. BullHog

This thread is spot on.  Next year MA will have a young hungry team that can buy into his winning philosophy.  Now, I know the sting of 2 straight defeats to end the season is tough, but, look at how those 2 teams beat us.  They both got off to incredubly hot starts.  It was freakinsh the way both teams were hitting shots.  Nothing Coach A could do to stop them.  Next year, these kids will be so young they woun't know to quit once the other team gets a 20 point lead, they'll just keep plugging cause they don't know any better.  cant wait for another year of HawgBawl with Coach A.
I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

Pinto

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 19, 2018, 02:35:48 pm

You talk as if people don't improve their game over the offseason

Pinto

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 19, 2018, 02:45:06 pm
Dusty Hannahs averaged 14.4 ppg his senior year, and shot 119 free throws. Anthlon Bell averaged 15.7 his senior year, and shot 82 free throws.

CJ Jones has shot 31 free throws in his career.

If you're going to compare stats, the least you could do is compare the players at the same point of their respective careers. Anthlon shot way less free throws than CJ his sophomore season.

Beaverfever

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on March 19, 2018, 03:16:16 pm
This thread is spot on.  Next year MA will have a young hungry team that can buy into his winning philosophy.  Now, I know the sting of 2 straight defeats to end the season is tough, but, look at how those 2 teams beat us.  They both got off to incredubly hot starts.  It was freakinsh the way both teams were hitting shots.  Nothing Coach A could do to stop them.  Next year, these kids will be so young they woun't know to quit once the other team gets a 20 point lead, they'll just keep plugging cause they don't know any better.  cant wait for another year of HawgBawl with Coach A.
Tennessee was better than us at almost every position.  Not a whole lot you can do there.  We had no business losing to Butler by 20 TWICE in the same game.  It wasn't freakish the way Butler hit shots.  They got a lot of open looks and were 11/26 from the 3 point line.  That's solid but they turned the ball over 14 times and got to the line 11 fewer times than Arkansas.  Everyone knew Butler could score.  Everyone also knew that Butler was no defensive juggernaut.  It was a very winnable game and we lost by 17. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pinto on March 19, 2018, 03:27:03 pm
If you're going to compare stats, the least you could do is compare the players at the same point of their respective careers. Anthlon shot way less free throws than CJ his sophomore season.

I think you are missing my point. I was simply confirming that CJ isn't going to average 15 ppg unless he develops his off the dribble game. My evidence was Dusty and Anthlon, who were both shooters, but needed those free throws to get to 15ppg. I wasn't implying CJ can't or won't improve.

Letsroll1200

CJ Jones issue seems to be confidence in his game. Really needed him to knock down some shots and this team maybe win 3-4 more games. He's 6'5, explosive, long but he plays small and avoids contact. Defensively there are times were he's lost. Maybe he will make a jump next season.

311Hog

If Gafford comes back and Garland can play this team will be pretty good. IMHO.  young and athletic.

gmarv54

great thread guys it is much appreciated.

Pinto

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 19, 2018, 04:12:16 pm
I think you are missing my point. I was simply confirming that CJ isn't going to average 15 ppg unless he develops his off the dribble game. My evidence was Dusty and Anthlon, who were both shooters, but needed those free throws to get to 15ppg. I wasn't implying CJ can't or won't improve.

And I'm saying that those same players didn't always average those FTAs/game their whole career just as CJ hasn't...yet. Anthlon improves from his junior to senior campaign and I really believe CJ will improve a year before due to minutes increase

BigNasty

I see the Hogs struggling next season if Gafford leaves with growing pains early on.  I also see a strong finish and just enough wins at the end of the SEC Tourney (19-20) to get in as an 11 seed to the NCAA tourney.  I see big seasons for C.J. and Hall.

If Gafford comes back and Garland is 100%......look out.

Roster: 

Adrio Bailey F Jr 6-7   
Khalil Garland   G Fr   6-5   
*Daniel Gafford F So 6-11
Jalen Harris G   Jr 6-2
Jonathan Holmes G jr    
Darious Hall F So 6-6
Gabe Osabuohien F So 6-8
C.J. Jones G Jr. 6-5
Ethan Henderson PF 6'8"
Reggie Chaney PF 6'8"
Isiah Joe PG 6'1"
Keyshawn Embrey SG 6'3"
Desi Sills SG 6'2"
Jordan Phillips SF 6'7"

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Pinto on March 19, 2018, 06:35:59 pm
And I'm saying that those same players didn't always average those FTAs/game their whole career just as CJ hasn't...yet. Anthlon improves from his junior to senior campaign and I really believe CJ will improve a year before due to minutes increase

I'm skeptical this happens, but we've seen players develop in this system and make big jumps from one season to the next = Madden from soph to junior, Durham from junior to senior, Bell from junior to senior. If Jones makes strides anything similar to what those guys did, Arkansas will not have a huge dropoff losing the 3 senior guards because Jones, Garland (based on the premise he gets cleared), Joe, Embery, and Sills collectively will be an upgrade defensively compared to those departing seniors, and they'll be bigger, more athletic, and more diverse offensively as a group as well.

Hawgwild15

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 18, 2018, 11:06:33 am
Our lineup if the basketball gods decide to bless Mike Anderson:

PF: 6'8" Chaney
C: 6'11" Gafford

Guards: Embery, Joe, Garland, Sills
Forwards: Phillips, Bailey, Osabuohien

If things do not go Mike's way like in the 2015 off-season, the lineup will look like:

PF: 6'7" Bailey
C: 6'8" Chaney

Guards: Embery, Joe, Sills
Forwards: Phillips, Osabuohien
Posts: Henderson, Late Addition (Tory Miller-Stewart?, Connor Vanover?)

I do not think Jones will end up starting by conference play. His skill set right now is more of a shooter off the bench (let's hope his numbers improve next year). I'd expect Embery or Joe to end up starting at SG.

CJ Jones is not a starter. Not even close. He's not even a good player off the bench. One of the incoming freshman should start in his place.

Roadhog82

If we have gafford and garland next year, I think we will be better than this year. We never really had good flow offensively this year, and lacked scoring options. We have a lot of talent coming in this year, and better defenders overall. Also Isaiah Joe is more like 6'4" or 6'5"

popcornhog

The growth or lack of growth from CJ Jones will play a big role in how good we are next year.

I'm hopeful that with more consistent minutes and a starting role, he can be a solid12-14 ppg Guy.
WPS

Mo_Better_Hogs

Excellent reading here guys. Since this year is over, might as well think about next year.

jboler96

Cj played a ton. Which hopefully will help alot next year bc we'll need him to produce consistently.

rzrbkman

Quote from: jboler96 on March 20, 2018, 01:58:35 am
Cj played a ton. Which hopefully will help alot next year bc we'll need him to produce consistently.

14.8 minutes per game played average is not a "ton" of playing time especially on a team in which there was no depth at guard and anyone who could contribute was needed.