Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Former Arkansas QB Matt Jones says Bret Bielema 'should be embarrassed'

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, October 23, 2017, 06:09:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

From SDS:

"You know that feeling when your child hurts him/herself and you would do anything to take away the pain, but you can't," Jones said. "Changes have to be made. I don't want to hear about how close we are ... Changes have to be made. Coach B should be embarrassed."

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/former-arkansas-qb-matt-jones-says-bret-bielema-embarrassed/
Go Hogs Go!

hogcard1964

Butters doesn't care. Remember when he stated that year 5 would be the real gauge?

Inhogswetrust

He should know. Matt is an expert about embarrassing things..........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

rzrbkman

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 23, 2017, 06:16:40 am
He should know. Matt is an expert about embarrassing things..........................

You are correct!

mlloyd4

He should have been embarrassed last year after the humiliating Auburn loss.
- just sayin'
WPS

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bacon&eggs on October 23, 2017, 07:03:10 am
He should have been embarrassed last year after the humiliating Auburn loss.
- just sayin'

I think that he has had multiple opportunities to be embarrassed over the last 4 years. This is just another one.
Go Hogs Go!

Vantage 8 dude

Still doesn't disqualify him from being able to judge the level of the lack of performance of a HC and staff. Interesting, but totally not surprising, that more and more former players are beginning to speak up and out about the sadly laughable excuse of a program we've become.

Too bad more of the kids who are currently playing apparently don't have as much pride. Sometimes as a player you have to assume the leadership roles that the coaches may not be providing. While this may not always be able to totally overcome other deficiencies, at least your effort level can be improved. At this point, at least according to today's ArDemGaz, about the only players who're apparently attempting to say or doing anything are Dwayne Eugene and Kevin Richardson. Perhaps that's not fair as there very well may be others players trying to assume greater leadership roles. However, one can only go off what one's told or knows. Besides, sometimes in life you have to assume control over adversity, you have to reach down and find the pride and work ethic to be better than the situation.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hawgon

The new coach will have to go "The Junction Boys" on these kids after this staff is done with them.

Pig Power

Quote from: hawgon on October 23, 2017, 08:51:36 am
The new coach will have to go "The Junction Boys" on these kids after this staff is done with them.
Agree.. Soft they are

Hogeration

It happens so often now, I think CBB and the rest of the coaches are numb to embarrassment.

Seebs

There is no pride. Only paychecks. I promise you every assistant with a lick of sense has reached out to their network for a job next year. If they haven't they are as ill-prepared in life as they are in coaching.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

smb

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 23, 2017, 06:09:12 am
From SDS:

"You know that feeling when your child hurts him/herself and you would do anything to take away the pain, but you can't," Jones said. "Changes have to be made. I don't want to hear about how close we are ... Changes have to be made. Coach B should be embarrassed."

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/former-arkansas-qb-matt-jones-says-bret-bielema-embarrassed/
Hog fans from around the world are embarrassed for the state of Arkansas.
GeorgiaHOG

Michael_E_Davis

The more I watch some of our old games,  the more I realize what an incredible quarterback Matt Jones was.   I still don't know how he managed some of those escapes to throw accurate passes.  I am not trying to knock the Razorback staff back then,  but if Matt Jones had been in better hands -  he might have been one of the best.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

31to6

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on October 23, 2017, 10:14:53 am
The more I watch some of our old games,  the more I realize what an incredible quarterback Matt Jones was.   I still don't know how he managed some of those escapes to throw accurate passes.  I am not trying to knock the Razorback staff back then,  but if Matt Jones had been in better hands -  he might have been one of the best.
I remember sitting there game after game watching the stupid play call from the sideline get blown up and then MJ pulling another miracle out of thin air.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 23, 2017, 08:03:51 am
I'm sure he is.
Yes.  Do people really think BB is enjoying this?  That Long is enjoying this?  That this was all part of their master plan to come to town and destroy the program? 

Doesn't mean a change isn't needed. 

LRHawg

userpick

I talked to five different former players this weekend. All played for Bielema. All five said he needs to be fired. It's a sad situation up there.

KennyForAD

NO.  Coach B is what he is:  A disaster, a train wreck unequaled in college football.   His team is THE WORST team Arkansas has ever had in the memory of anyone alive today.   We hired a FRAUD as football coach who is totally clueless.

But he is not the embarrassment.    The people who HIRED the fraud and who keep him in place are the embarrassment.

KennyForAD

LRHawg

What are you, 16? We were all young and dumb once, or does your darn not stink? Make fun of his drug problems if you want, but Matt loves the Hogs and gave us some great moments in Hog history. What've you done?

East Clintwood

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 23, 2017, 10:18:08 am
Yes.  Do people really think BB is enjoying this?  That Long is enjoying this?  That this was all part of their master plan to come to town and destroy the program? 

I'm certain Bert is not enjoying this and is extremely embarrassed by the whole thing.

While Jeffy is probably not enjoying it either, I don't think he's really bothered by it.  He is not a football person, he doesn't understand how other people, particularly Arkansans and southerners in general feel about football.  I think it bothers him how highly we value football and I think he tries to minimize the program in response. 

All of his hires (or attempted hires) for head coaches have been the safe, conservative, low performance guys, grobe, bowden, bert, smilie, and wannstedt at Pitt.  The one exception was petrino, who he fired after he started winning at a high level.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

EastexHawg

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on October 23, 2017, 10:14:53 am

If he had played in the same offense Texas designed around Vince Young he would have been a Heisman contender.  Alas, though, our genius head coach only managed to get him around 90 carries per year on average.  How hard is it to get rushing attempts for a guy who takes the snap from center on every play?

6.6 yards per carry and probably more 50-plus yard runs than anyone in Arkansas history?  We don't need no stinkin' long runs.

And...let's not even talk about the 90-something yard pass to get us to OT against Tennessee...or the 31 yarder between defenders to Decori Birmingham in the back of the end zone to beat LSU, a ball so perfectly thrown that it would have stuck in Decori's facemask if he hadn't put up his hands to catch it.  Or the passes in SEC road games to beat Eli Manning and Ole Miss, Alabama in Bryant-Denny, and Kentucky in 7 OTs.  Or the incredible 4th quarter comeback to almost overcome a 33-7 deficit to Florida in a game in which he sat the bench while Ryan Sorahan stunk up the joint.

I have to stop now.  Thinking about what Moron D. Nutt did...or more to the point, didn't do...with Matt Jones is raising my blood pressure years after the fact.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 23, 2017, 10:18:08 am

What the heck do BB and Long have to worry about ??? I mean ole JL is likely to get an extension and perhaps even a raise. On the other hand, Bret, even IF (big IF) he's let go, he's collected a ton of loot with possibly more depending on the terms of his termination. Besides, he can always get a gig on tv or wait a year or two, reinvent himself and land at another program who's likely willing to pay an outlandish amount of money for lack of success.

Razorpigg

You mean the guy caught snorting cocaine in his car in Fayetteville? Yea dont want to hear his "embarrassment" comments. He should shut his trap immediately. He is an embarrassment himself. Period.

WooPigFarm

Yeah Razorpigg, way to put Matt Jones in his place where he belongs

HawgTide

Quote from: Razorpigg on October 23, 2017, 11:56:30 am
You mean the guy caught snorting cocaine in his car in Fayetteville? Yea dont want to hear his "embarrassment" comments. He should shut his trap immediately. He is an embarrassment himself. Period.

Easy there pumpkin. Matt Jones is right Bret should be embarrassed and gone. Just because he screwed up and made a stupid mistake when he was young doesn't change the fact that he was one the most exciting Razorbacks ever. He bleeds Razorback red and gave more to this program than you could ever dream of.

Vantage 8 dude

So again, just because he embarrassed himself he has no right to his educated opinion and/or the observation has no validity? Let me stop you right there: if you're going to wait for someone, anyone, to have completely "clean skirts" before opining then you're going to have a long and silent wait.

rlamb

Matt was the most exciting Razorback in our fair history. Too bad he had to play for Nutt because
with a different team and Coach, he could have been Heisman.  Same goes for McFadden, A better
Coach could have used him more smartly and he might have had 2 Heisman's?

I feel Matt has a very distinct right to say what he did about fat boy as the most exciting football player
in Razorback history and McFadden like wise because he was the best Razorback ever.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: rlamb on October 23, 2017, 01:00:51 pm
Matt was the most exciting Razorback in our fair history. Too bad he had to play for Nutt because
with a different team and Coach, he could have been Heisman.  Same goes for McFadden, A better

I feel Matt has a very distinct right to say what he did about fat boy as the most exciting football player
in Razorback history and McFadden like wise because he was the best Razorback ever.

Amen
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

10thPlanet

So some of you guys are going to throw an Arkansan, and a great Razorback under the bus for Bret? Shows me how much blow ya'll have done, and not the same kind of blow Jones did.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: East Clintwood on October 23, 2017, 10:55:07 am
I'm certain Bert is not enjoying this and is extremely embarrassed by the whole thing.

While Jeffy is probably not enjoying it either, I don't think he's really bothered by it.  He is not a football person, he doesn't understand how other people, particularly Arkansans and southerners in general feel about football.  I think it bothers him how highly we value football and I think he tries to minimize the program in response. 

All of his hires (or attempted hires) for head coaches have been the safe, conservative, low performance guys, grobe, bowden, bert, smilie, and wannstedt at Pitt.  The one exception was petrino, who he fired after he started winning at a high level.
First of all, yes I believe that the AD for an SEC football program is bothered greatly by this debacle of a season.  I don't think he wears his emotions on his sleeves so that fans can see how upset he is.  And that drives many people crazy.  Secondly, I think you are giving Arkansas football fans more credit than they deserve comparing them to other Southerners approach to football.  Hell, I think it's questionable to call most of Northwest Arkansas Southern any longer.

texas tush hog

First Steve Heim and the whole 1977 Orange Bowl team. Now Matt Jones. The whole "A" club will soon come out.

Occams Razorback

Off topic, but speaking of Matt Jones, what if he had been here at the same time as McFadden, Hillis and Felix, running the wishbone? Can you even imagine the firepower of such a group? Touchdown every other play!
If it makes crumbs, it's probably not good for you.

elksnort

Oh God, quit it. Really?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: 10thPlanet on October 23, 2017, 02:09:54 pm
So some of you guys are going to throw an Arkansan, and a great Razorback under the bus for Bret? Shows me how much blow ya'll have done, and not the same kind of blow Jones did.

People that talk about others being embarrassed should realize they also might have done embarrassing things. Doesn't matter where they are from. Yes he was a great Razorback and athlete but he squandered that talent. At least nothing like that has come up with Bret. It may not have worked out but at least he didn't blow it away. Yes pun intended.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

elksnort

My goodness, folks can do drugs and still be winners. If you people don't think so, then you so naive it's not even funny.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 23, 2017, 02:14:15 pm
First Steve Heim and the whole 1977 Orange Bowl team. Now Matt Jones. The whole "A" club will soon come out.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.....................

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 23, 2017, 06:09:12 am
From SDS:

Now, was he on another high when he said that?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LRHawg on October 23, 2017, 10:44:17 am
What are you, 16? We were all young and dumb once, or does your darn not stink? Make fun of his drug problems if you want, but Matt loves the Hogs and gave us some great moments in Hog history. What've you done?

He wasn't 16. He was way old enough to know better. He had the whole NFL world ahead of him and he messed it up. Yes he loves the Hogs, a lot of people that mess up do. Sure I've messed up but not to the point that I've been arrested and lost my job. I've never done drugs and have never been arrested. That is a much higher level of embarrassment than losing some football games as a coach. I think Bret should go but he's least handled things pretty well all things considered.

Pecos Hog

Quote from: Seebs on October 23, 2017, 09:52:49 am
There is no pride. Only paychecks. I promise you every assistant with a lick of sense has reached out to their network for a job next year. If they haven't they are as ill-prepared in life as they are in coaching.

Yep.   They know what's coming.    Tough business to be in.   

B Ray

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rlamb on October 23, 2017, 01:00:51 pm

That's your opinion. DMac was the most exciting and best in my opinion.

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: elksnort on October 23, 2017, 05:55:40 pm
My goodness, folks can do drugs and still be winners. If you people don't think so, then you so naive it's not even funny.

AND, you can talk reel gud englush, too!

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: elksnort on October 23, 2017, 05:55:40 pm

But, seriously, doing drugs and being a winner are mutually exclusive things.  Everyone I've ever known who has done drugs has failed at life.  I'm not saying you can't be rich and famous but that's not the same thing as success.  I guess we just have different sticks of measurement.

98hogs

Matt gave us plenty of victories.  You can cast the first stone.

lumphog