Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Betting Lines and Picks for weekend of Oct. 20

Started by _Collin1, October 17, 2007, 03:20:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

_Collin1

This has gotten to be quite fun each week and I love talking spreads with my hogville folks.  ErieHog, anthontkr and the rest of Hogville....  what about these picks?

South Florida -3
Northwestern -10
Indiana +8
C. Michigan +17
N. Illinois +24
Purdue -7
Cincinnati -10
S. Carolina -13
Tennessee
Texas -25
Ole Miss +5
Mizzou -3
Notre Dame +18
Ohio St. -17
Kentucky +7
San Jose St. +13
Kansas -4

I didnt go big on South Florida.  Alot of experts are picking Rutgers, but I think its a NYC/NJ bias.  Lots of national media folks have hardons for Rutgers in football and Syracuse in Basketball.

I like my Indiana pick.  Penn St. is so disappointing on the road, I think 8 points oughta do it.

Wisconsin is having a hard time even scoring 24 points, so I had to take the points with N. Illinois.

I like Purdue over Iowa.  Iowa is a horrid road team and Purdue can put up points.

I watched Pitt last Wednesday... they are REALLY bad and Cincy is really good.  They should cover the 10 by half way in the second quarter.

Took Tennessee straight up at Bama.  Not sure why, I just think Fulmer loves to win and get the F out of town when he plays Bama.

Texas over Baylor, I dont care the spread.

I am a believer in Kansas, and 4 points at Colorado was easy in my opinion.
Arkansas Alumni: Undergrad 2000, Graduate 2002
Voter: Heisman | Ray Guy | Biletnikoff
Action Network: https://www.actionnetwork.com/article/author/collin-wilson
The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/author/collin-wilson/

Conway Cool Daddy

October 17, 2007, 03:23:55 pm #1 Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 03:27:52 pm by Conway Cool Daddy
Quote from: BigC51 on October 17, 2007, 03:20:20 pm
Took Tennessee straight up at Bama.  Not sure why, I just think Fulmer loves to win and get the F out of town when he plays Bama.

I'm not sure I understand the Tennessee line. I don't think Bama is worth a shiite and are waaaay overrated.

I won't embarrass myself further by attempting any picks, but this stands out to me.

_Collin1

Quote from: PIGskin Pride on October 17, 2007, 03:26:46 pm
Read my writeup on why TULSA ML is a must pick this week...

http://forum.sbrforum.com/college-football-handicapping/44145-tulsa-ucf-inside-view.html

Peace,
Dirty D

I agree, that UCF defense can't get that better over a span of 7 days.  The line is Tulsa +3.  I would take them straight up, but that UTEP game still rings in my ears.

Feralhog

October 17, 2007, 09:30:26 pm #4 Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 09:32:03 pm by Feralhog
Tomorrow Night me really like Rutgers -2 leaning toward over 52

I'll probably narrow the list but for now here's who I like:

Northwestern -10
Buffalo +3.5
Penn St. -7.5
Cent. Mich +16
W. Mich +1
Colorado +3.5
Rice -2.5
Tenn Pk
OU -29.5
Notre Dame +17
Miami +5.5
Oregon -11.5
Virg +4
E. Carol -5
Arizona -10.5
Houston -13
Toledo -1
Texas -25
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

TMc

Bet the freaking house on Ole Miss. Stone Cold Lock of the week.

Hogginitall

October 17, 2007, 10:16:14 pm #6 Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 08:04:02 am by Hogginitall
I like:

South Florida -3
Utah +3.5
Navy +3
Miss St +23.5
Florida Atlantic -6
Colorado +4.5
Nevada -7
Wyoming +2.5
Michigan State +17.5
East Carolina -5
Ohio +1
Texas -24.5
Illinois +2.5
New Mexico -8.5
Missouri -3
Buffalo +3.5
Tulane +6
Temple +5.5

NFL:

Washington -7
Minnesota +10

_Collin1

Quote from: Hogginitall on October 17, 2007, 10:16:14 pm
I like:

South Florida -3
Navy +3
Miss St +23.5
Florida Atlantic -6
Colorado +4.5
Nevada -7
Wyoming +2.5
Michigan State +17.5
East Carolina -5
Ohio +1
Texas -24.5
Illinois +2.5
New Mexico -8.5

NFL:

Washington -7
Minnesota +10

Colorado and the 4.5 against Kansas... who is shredding peeps.  Interesting

Hogginitall

Quote from: BigC51 on October 17, 2007, 10:49:29 pm
Quote from: Hogginitall on October 17, 2007, 10:16:14 pm
I like:

South Florida -3
Navy +3
Miss St +23.5
Florida Atlantic -6
Colorado +4.5
Nevada -7
Wyoming +2.5
Michigan State +17.5
East Carolina -5
Ohio +1
Texas -24.5
Illinois +2.5
New Mexico -8.5

NFL:

Washington -7
Minnesota +10

Colorado and the 4.5 against Kansas... who is shredding peeps.  Interesting

Just a hunch.  Good luck with your plays.

Michael11

I like:
South Florida -2.5
Miss State +24 - Lock of the week!
Texas - 25
Oregon -11.5
Nevada -7

Others of Interest-
Louisville -3.5 - Can the defense play well again?
Michigan -3 - I think they are back and for real
Ten. 0 - If it wasn't at Bama it would be a lock
Wake -3 - They just find a way to win I would take it at -2.5!
Michael Thomason   Rom. 10:9/2CO.5:21

The Great Hambino

There may be a thread already covering this,  but I don't get to search, so I'm curious as to what everyone thinks about the lines.

S. Florida -3
For tonight, I'll take South Florida at -3 all day.  I think they are legit.  The only thing that will affect this is an OT, since they are at Rutgers.  If it goes to OT, it will come down to a 2pt conversion.

Other picks

PURDUE -7
TAMU +1 1/2
FLORIDA STATE -5 1/2
TULSA +3
KANSAS -4

_Collin1

That South Florida pick isnt really working out for me right now.  That Under at 52 isnt looking too good right now either.

SPAL

i started out my week goin unde the total (8.5) in the ALCS

we'll see if it holds up

sure would be nice to start out 1-0 this week. I didnt play anything this past weekend, i just didnt see anything i liked.

If tulsa is still a 3 point dog this weekend against UCF, ill happily drop bout 10% of my bankroll on it.

_Collin1

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 18, 2007, 09:56:54 pm

we'll see if it holds up

sure would be nice to start out 1-0 this week. I didnt play anything this past weekend, i just didnt see anything i liked.

If tulsa is still a 3 point dog this weekend against UCF, ill happily drop bout 10% of my bankroll on it.
That UTEP game doesnt bother you?  It killed me.

Hogginitall

Quote from: BigC51 on October 18, 2007, 10:01:51 pm

we'll see if it holds up

I've won on UTEP nearly every weekend.  I like them.

Michael11

South Florida ought to pay anyone that bet them tonight. They could not capatilize on anything. They keep getting breaks and wouldn't score. And then to top it off they get the ball at Rutgers 30 with almost 2 minutes left and the QB takes a 15 yard sack on 1st down.

I have also never seen worst play calling against a 6 to 7 man blitz

cosmodrum

This is a bad year to bet on college. The NCAA is the friggin Twilight Zone this year.

Sticking with the pros for the rest of the year. I hate the Pats, but they have been money in the bank for me thus far.
Go away, batin'

SPAL

we'll see if it holds up

yeah, it does bother me a bit...however, i have no doubt that tulsa can and will score on UCF. Tulsa has a horrible D, but i think they try and do a little bit of what USF did to them last week and heck, if they can just get a couple of stops, they win by 7-10.

By the way...the indians pen sucks and is likely to cost me some money...im begging papplebon (sp) to shut the door.

_Collin1

Besides the push with the Browns, New England is as safe a bet as any.  I have them -17 on Miami this weekend. 

South Florida screwed me tonight.  It seems like if you bet the underdog and took the points 100% of the time, you would win way more than you would lose.

I think a nice underdog with points Round Robin bet is in order for this weekend.  Who should I take....

SPAL

Quote from: cosmodrum on October 18, 2007, 10:51:50 pm
This is a bad year to bet on college. The NCAA is the friggin Twilight Zone this year.

Sticking with the pros for the rest of the year. I hate the Pats, but they have been money in the bank for me thus far.

are u kiddin?...this is a great year to bet NCAA football....all these dogs winning outright is a betters dream, however, i guess u gotta be bettin on em to win anything.

_Collin1

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 18, 2007, 11:03:59 pm

we'll see if it holds up

yeah, it does bother me a bit...however, i have no doubt that tulsa can and will score on UCF. Tulsa has a horrible D, but i think they try and do a little bit of what USF did to them last week and heck, if they can just get a couple of stops, they win by 7-10.

By the way...the indians pen sucks and is likely to cost me some money...im begging papplebon (sp) to shut the door.
Dude....

I took the stance at the beginning of the playoffs that I would only bet series prices at the beginning.  Going game to game could kill you.  I wouldnt have bet against Beckett tonight though :)

I have been right on every series except the Angels.  Know why I have been right every series???  Cause I only picked the underdogs.  Philly, Chicago, Boston and Yankees were all favs... look where we are at now.  I took Colorado and Cleveland this go around and that is gonna pay off too (if the Indians can close).

I dont know who the fav will be in the World Series, but I am not betting against Colorado.  Every year a team is on a mission and you can see it in their eyes.  Thats Colorado this year.

SPAL

Quote from: BigC51 on October 18, 2007, 11:07:25 pm
Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 18, 2007, 11:03:59 pm

we'll see if it holds up

Dude....

I took the stance at the beginning of the playoffs that I would only bet series prices at the beginning.  Going game to game could kill you.  I wouldnt have bet against Beckett tonight though :)

I have been right on every series except the Angels.  Know why I have been right every series???  Cause I only picked the underdogs.  Philly, Chicago, Boston and Yankees were all favs... look where we are at now.  I took Colorado and Cleveland this go around and that is gonna pay off too (if the Indians can close).

I dont know who the fav will be in the World Series, but I am not betting against Colorado.  Every year a team is on a mission and you can see it in their eyes.  Thats Colorado this year.

i dont like to play playoff baseball at all...but sounds like u are doin good. Too much emotion and different things in playoff baseball...however, i couldnt stay away from goin under the 8.5 with beckett facing sabathia....luckily i held on.

i didnt play the football game tonight...had rutgers and the points setup but i couldnt pull the trigger

SPAL

I cant see wisconsin beating northern illinois by 23

what do u guys think about that one?

and also Ga Tech -27 against army. That is a lot f points and neither offense has been great.

Feralhog

October 18, 2007, 11:17:39 pm #23 Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 11:45:56 pm by Feralhog
Quote from: BigC51 on October 18, 2007, 11:04:36 pm
Besides the push with the Browns, New England is as safe a bet as any.  I have them -17 on Miami this weekend. 

South Florida screwed me tonight.  It seems like if you bet the underdog and took the points 100% of the time, you would win way more than you would lose.

I think a nice underdog with points Round Robin bet is in order for this weekend.  Who should I take....

Here's my original post in the thread Wed. Night.

QuoteTomorrow Night me really like Rutgers -2 leaning toward over 52

Northwestern -10
Buffalo +3.5
Penn St. -7.5
Cent. Mich +16
W. Mich +1
Colorado +3.5
Rice -2.5
Tenn Pk
OU -29.5
Notre Dame +17
Miami +5.5
Oregon -11.5
Virg +4
E. Carol -5
Arizona -10.5
Houston -13
Toledo -1
Texas -25

Last week I went 10-2.  Here's what I picked for this week.  Not many dogs this time.  I'm starting to back away from Colo.  I still like Miami, W. Mich, Virginia and Buffalo.  Everything I look at still points to Notre Dame too, but I can't get too excited about a sucky offense only losing by 17 to S. Cal.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

SPAL

Quote from: Feralhog on October 18, 2007, 11:17:39 pm

Northwestern -10
Buffalo +3.5
Penn St. -7.5
Cent. Mich +16
W. Mich +1
Colorado +3.5
Rice -2.5
Tenn Pk
OU -29.5
Notre Dame +17
Miami +5.5
Oregon -11.5
Virg +4
E. Carol -5
Arizona -10.5
Houston -13
Toledo -1
Texas -25

Last week I went 10-2.  Here's what I picked for this week.  Not many dogs this time.  I'm starting to back away from Colo.  I still like Miami, W. Mich and Buffalo.  Everything I look at still points to Notre Dame too, but I can't get too excited about a team who's offense sucks as much as the Irsih only losing to S. Cal by 17.

do u really play that many games a wknd?

Feralhog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 18, 2007, 11:24:48 pm

Northwestern -10
Buffalo +3.5
Penn St. -7.5
Cent. Mich +16
W. Mich +1
Colorado +3.5
Rice -2.5
Tenn Pk
OU -29.5
Notre Dame +17
Miami +5.5
Oregon -11.5
Virg +4
E. Carol -5
Arizona -10.5
Houston -13
Toledo -1
Texas -25

Last week I went 10-2.  Here's what I picked for this week.  Not many dogs this time.  I'm starting to back away from Colo.  I still like Miami, W. Mich and Buffalo.  Everything I look at still points to Notre Dame too, but I can't get too excited about a team who's offense sucks as much as the Irsih only losing to S. Cal by 17.

Not usually.  Last week my orginal post I had around 20 picks.  I played the picks I had for the games during the week and I played all the games I posted on Saturday Morning.  I ended up playing 12

Feralhog

October 18, 2007, 11:38:15 pm #26 Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 11:43:51 pm by Feralhog
Quote from: Feralhog on October 18, 2007, 11:26:57 pm

Northwestern -10
Buffalo +3.5
Penn St. -7.5
Cent. Mich +16
W. Mich +1
Colorado +3.5
Rice -2.5
Tenn Pk
OU -29.5
Notre Dame +17
Miami +5.5
Oregon -11.5
Virg +4
E. Carol -5
Arizona -10.5
Houston -13
Toledo -1
Texas -25

Not usually.  Last week my orginal post I had around 20 picks.  I played the picks I had for the games during the week and I played all the games I posted on Saturday Morning.  I ended up playing 12
I went back and looked and I only had about 6 picks in my orignal post, plus I picked San Jose and Wake.  There were a couple of games I didn't play from my original post.  I shouldn't bitch about 10-2 but looking back, I wish I'd played them all. 

I took Rutgers tonight, played the overs and parlayed the game.  Also took Boston!  Hopefully it's a sign of things to come this weekend.   

Hogginitall

Quote from: Michael11 on October 18, 2007, 10:44:04 pm
South Florida ought to pay anyone that bet them tonight. They could not capatilize on anything. They keep getting breaks and wouldn't score. And then to top it off they get the ball at Rutgers 30 with almost 2 minutes left and the QB takes a 15 yard sack on 1st down.

I agree.  I was pissed watching this game.  Why don't you call some more designed runs for Groethe?  He would get 8-10 yards every play and sometimes he would break a longer one.  All those breaks (fumbled punts, blocked field goal, fumble recovery) and they couldn't get touchdowns!  Horrible...

Oh well.  I won on Utah last night, so not a horrible night.

Feralhog

As of now I like UCONN +3 this evening and I'm leaning toward Under 61.5

Hogginitall

October 19, 2007, 07:47:00 am #29 Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 12:50:57 pm by Hogginitall
Quote from: Feralhog on October 19, 2007, 07:34:20 am
As of now I like UCONN +3 this evening and I'm leaning toward Under 61.5

I like Louisville -3 and I'm not ever playing an UNDER in my life again.  I'll take the OVER 61.5.

EDIT:  I'll be taking Connecticut and the UNDER.  I know I said I'd never play an UNDER again, but I might tonight.   ;D

Michael11

Quote from: Hogginitall on October 19, 2007, 07:32:22 am

I agree.  I was pissed watching this game.  Why don't you call some more designed runs for Groethe?  He would get 8-10 yards every play and sometimes he would break a longer one.  All those breaks (fumbled punts, blocked field goal, fumble recovery) and they couldn't get touchdowns!  Horrible...

Yeah i was terrribly confused with the play calling. Rutgers was blitzing 5-7 people on every play and Groethe was taking like 7 step drops and looking for deep routes. My dad keep saying throw a slant or a swing pass! Then when they got to him he took the sack trying to make something happen.
I did think for sure they had it when they got the ball back the last 2 times. But when you take a 15 yard sack on first down it is tough.
The worst part is that they had a blocked field goal and recovered a muffed punt, and forced a fumble deep in rutgers territory and got no points!

Hogginitall

October 19, 2007, 09:31:10 am #31 Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 12:49:57 pm by Hogginitall
Quote from: Michael11 on October 19, 2007, 08:09:35 am

Yeah i was terrribly confused with the play calling. Rutgers was blitzing 5-7 people on every play and Groethe was taking like 7 step drops and looking for deep routes. My dad keep saying throw a slant or a swing pass! Then when they got to him he took the sack trying to make something happen.
I did think for sure they had it when they got the ball back the last 2 times. But when you take a 15 yard sack on first down it is tough.
The worst part is that they had a blocked field goal and recovered a muffed punt, and forced a fumble deep in rutgers territory and got no points!

Oh well, on to another night.  I think I'll be taking Louisville tonight.  Haven't decided 100%.  I'm not going to play the TOTAL.  I never win those.  But, if I was, I'd take the OVER.

EDIT:  I'm going to take Connecticut and the UNDER.  Supposedly, the weather is not very good there.  Lots of rain and wind.  So, I'll be playing Connecticut and the UNDER.

Michael11

Quote from: Hogginitall on October 19, 2007, 09:31:10 am
Quote from: Michael11 on October 19, 2007, 08:09:35 am

Oh well, on to another night.  I think I'll be taking Louisville tonight.  Haven't decided 100%.  I'm not going to play the TOTAL.  I never win those.  But, if I was, I'd take the OVER.

I'm not touching tonight's game! I never know which Louisville team will show! They have struggled stopping teams!
I hate betting those teams that end up in shutouts every game!

hogzirra

Quote from: Feralhog on October 18, 2007, 11:26:57 pm

Northwestern -10
Buffalo +3.5
Penn St. -7.5
Cent. Mich +16
W. Mich +1
Colorado +3.5
Rice -2.5
Tenn Pk
OU -29.5
Notre Dame +17
Miami +5.5
Oregon -11.5
Virg +4
E. Carol -5
Arizona -10.5
Houston -13
Toledo -1
Texas -25

You could probably make more money by sticking to about 3-5 games at most.  If you are going to bet 12 games or more you would be better off just taking the dogs across the board.  Play five games straight up and hammer three games(not the same ones).  That's what I would do.  But what do I know?
"The smell of fat chicks throws my spine out of place"

-David Bowie

hogzirra

October 19, 2007, 10:25:25 am #34 Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 11:20:36 am by hogzirra
The two games that pop out at me are:

Army +24.5 playing at Georgia Tech

Miss. St. +24  playing at West Virginia

Take the points on both these plays

-David Bowie

anthonytkr

Give me just a minute guys, still trying to figure out how the f#$& South Florida lost that game...

Michael11

Quote from: anthonytkr on October 19, 2007, 10:46:35 am
Give me just a minute guys, still trying to figure out how the f#$& South Florida lost that game...

I keep trying to figure it out. I was putting my money in the bank when they went up 7 in the first half and then blocked that field goal.
They looked like the better team but could not capitalize off of Rutgers mistakes and could not stop any type of fake on special teams!

anthonytkr

Ok, here we go!

Louisville -3.5 vs Conn

Eastern Mich +8.5 vs Northwestern

Buffalo +4 vs Syracuse

Oklahomos -29 vs Iowa State

East Car-4 vs NC State

Toledo Pk vs Ohio

Troy -18 vs North Texas

_Collin1

Quote from: hogzirra on October 19, 2007, 10:25:25 am

Taking the points is wise this year, but Army really sucks.

primetime21

Washington +12.5
Miss St +24
Tennessee +1
Florida -6.5

Michael11

Quote from: primetime21 on October 19, 2007, 01:07:14 pm
Washington +12.5
Miss St +24
Tennessee +1
Florida -6.5

I agree with 3 of these but i would be shocked to see Washington stay within 20 points of Oregon!

_Collin1

Quote from: anthonytkr on October 19, 2007, 12:46:00 pm
Ok, here we go!

Louisville -3.5 vs Conn

Eastern Mich +8.5 vs Northwestern

Buffalo +4 vs Syracuse

Oklahomos -29 vs Iowa State

East Car-4 vs NC State

Toledo Pk vs Ohio

Troy -18 vs North Texas

This game tonight is a tough one.  UCONN is solid and at home...  +3.5 should be enough for me to bet them.  Something in my gut screams Lville easily.  As far as the total at 60, unless its the Hogs and Tigers
I dont see anyone going under this year.  I bet there is 42 scored by half, bad weather and all.

_Collin1

Quote from: Michael11 on October 19, 2007, 01:08:42 pm
Washington +12.5
Miss St +24
Tennessee +1
Florida -6.5

I agree with 3 of these but i would be shocked to see Washington stay within 20 points of Oregon!

Ive got Kentucky at +7, I might make a straight up bet on them too.  I think the Miss St. bet is a good one too.

primetime21

Quote from: Michael11 on October 19, 2007, 01:08:42 pm
Washington +12.5
Miss St +24
Tennessee +1
Florida -6.5

Oregon has injuries, plus it is a rivalry game @ Washington.

Last night I went 2-0 w/ Rutgers and Utah.  Hopefully, I can keep the momentum.  I have had trouble with NFL games.

hogzirra

Quote from: BigC51 on October 19, 2007, 01:05:35 pm
Quote from: hogzirra on October 19, 2007, 10:25:25 am

Taking the points is wise this year, but Army really sucks.

Both these teams suck but they will cover, which is all you can ask for isn't it?

-David Bowie

anthonytkr

SPAL

Eastern michigan +10

lock it...parlay it with the total points being under 58

JShipCPA

hirebutchdavis

lmao.  That's great considering the game was played last night.

_Collin1