Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Malzahn Question

Started by Happy Hogger, October 17, 2007, 09:03:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Semperhog

This is from an article on nwaonline.com
"If you're going to do the comparisons (between this year's offense and last year's), I think it's a little bit unfair because of the total weapons that you had out there compared to this year," Nutt said.

So who might those weapons be??
The thing about us Arkansas folk is that we do not know we are not as big as Texas! You can't tell us we can't do it without a fight and you better be prepared to pack a 7 day ration because we don't back down! We have been beaten but never defeated! Let the doubters doubt we will speak with actions. WPS! Go Hogs! ~~~ Semperhog

'Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat  you with experience.' ~ Anonymous

Semperhog

The thing about us Arkansas folk is that we do not know we are not as big as Texas! You can't tell us we can't do it without a fight and you better be prepared to pack a 7 day ration because we don't back down! We have been beaten but never defeated! Let the doubters doubt we will speak with actions. WPS! Go Hogs! ~~~ Semperhog

'Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat  you with experience.' ~ Anonymous

Hogs-n-Roses

Its all relative. He's been successful everywhere he's gone. No its not the defenses in CUSA. He did the same thing to SEC defenses, Highschool defenses....He's just a good coach, Understands the game, takes whatever the defense gives him in whatever arena he's in.

Semperhog

Quote from: Zeke_in_KC on October 18, 2007, 11:59:51 am
Quote from: Little Billy Jr. on October 17, 2007, 04:37:53 pm
Quote from: Zeke_in_KC on October 17, 2007, 03:36:15 pm
Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 17, 2007, 10:45:16 amI think Malzahn's like Joe Lee Dunn--it's a gimmick, and there's a reason Dunn's not coaching much around here.

That circus act would make progress for 3 or 4 seasons, at the most, and then people would figure it out and stop it.  After that, that scheme would only trip up the slappies on the schedule.

Gimmicks don't last.  Fundamentals and talent do.  That's what Arkansas really lacks right now.

This is the best darned post I have seen here in a long, long time.

Gus's offense isn't the wave of the future, it is the wave of the PAST.  How is the University of Houston doing these days?  What did Warren Moon ever WIN in the NFL?  Is Hawaii ever going to actually beat anyone?

Football is cyclical.  In a decade, someone will be using the wishbone to tear up defenses designed to stop attacks akin to Gus's and the cycle will begin again.  The ONLY traits, going back to the 1920's, found to consistently win are great defense and a sound running game.  Here's what our current regime seems to miss: to have a sound running game, you must be able to pass adequately.  (See that?  You don't have to even be able to do it WELL.  Mediocre is fine.  Of course, we can't even pass to the tune of mediocre...)
You don't know a damn thing about Gus or his philosophy. His offense is designed to spread the defense but there is no mandate to run or throw. He takes what the defense gives him. If the defense changes Gus changes. Mainly what he is is a no nonsense coach who works his butt off. He will be an outstanding head coach at the college level very shortly.

What a moron you are.  This merely proves the cyclical nature.

Defenses will spread, use speed to kill, and shut down this finesse crap.

Then, someone will use HUGE lineman, tight gaps and the flexbone -- God forbid -- to destroy such defenses and THEY will be lauded as some unique hero.

Gus is a gimmick.  Does the HUNH give you more plays?  Only if they're not uber-quick "3 and outs."  When the gimmickery is exposed, this will be ugly.

Do I wish inherent harm upon the guy?  Of course not.  But the idea of Gus as Head Coach at Arkansas makes me ill...

His offense does have trick plays but as the D figures them out they shift and rotate and come back with a different look. It is more balanced than it first appears. New England is doing a similar offense and it seems to be working pretty darn good. I don't know if he would be a great headcoach yet but as OC I think he will be a success.

TDHog

Quote from: Zeke_in_KC on October 17, 2007, 03:36:15 pm
Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 17, 2007, 10:45:16 amI think Malzahn's like Joe Lee Dunn--it's a gimmick, and there's a reason Dunn's not coaching much around here.

That circus act would make progress for 3 or 4 seasons, at the most, and then people would figure it out and stop it.  After that, that scheme would only trip up the slappies on the schedule.

Gimmicks don't last.  Fundamentals and talent do.  That's what Arkansas really lacks right now.

This is the best darned post I have seen here in a long, long time.

Gus's offense isn't the wave of the future, it is the wave of the PAST.  How is the University of Houston doing these days?  What did Warren Moon ever WIN in the NFL?  Is Hawaii ever going to actually beat anyone?

Football is cyclical.  In a decade, someone will be using the wishbone to tear up defenses designed to stop attacks akin to Gus's and the cycle will begin again.  The ONLY traits, going back to the 1920's, found to consistently win are great defense and a sound running game.  Here's what our current regime seems to miss: to have a sound running game, you must be able to pass adequately.  (See that?  You don't have to even be able to do it WELL.  Mediocre is fine.  Of course, we can't even pass to the tune of mediocre...)

Sorry, I disagree with you Gus's offense is nothing like the run and shoot that Houston used.  Yes, football is cyclical, my bet is that Gus would adapt at what the defense gives him (that is his whole philosophy) not insist on running his offense and the only reason for lack of success is players poor execution (ala Nutt)

Cale

They put up over 400 yards of Offense against Oklahoma.

Miami didn't even do that.
Quote from: jst01 on January 06, 2018, 06:00:42 pm<br />Maybe we are a baseball school <br />