Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another 578 yards for Tulsa. Anyone missing Gus?

Started by Chappeee, October 15, 2007, 08:31:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Chappeee

Yeah me too.  He may be facing weaker competition, but he doesn't have the talent to work with that we do.

Pig_Daddy_Cool

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pig_Daddy_Cool on October 15, 2007, 08:32:56 am
Gus ='s Winning Record

Hooten ='s Losing Record

funny how some people don't want to admit the connection.

Bomis Hawg

Tulsa is also giving up 490 yards per game. 
Let's not get carried away just yet.

lockmaster

Pig_Daddy_Cool

Quote from: locknuts_up on October 15, 2007, 08:37:14 am
GO TULSU

Someone seriously needs to photoshop your siggy pic and put Nutts face over Winklers!

Chappeee

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on October 15, 2007, 08:36:51 am

Yes, but the question was, is anyone missing GUS?  The question didn't ask about their defensive coordinator.

nychog

Can't compare the two......Marshall isn't exactly a juggernaut.  Have they even won a game this year?  Gus is doing a good job at Tulsa, but to think he'd be putting up those kind of numbers in the SEC is a bit much, IMO.

Boarcephus

True but that's not his area of responsibility. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Bomis Hawg

I know the question asks about Gus.
But, he's done well with the limited tools he has for two reasons:
1) his scheme works and he's good at it and 2) their defense puts their offense on the field a lot.

Pig_Daddy_Cool

Quote from: nychog on October 15, 2007, 08:42:05 am
Can't compare the two......Marshall isn't exactly a juggernaut.  Have they even won a game this year?  Gus is doing a good job at Tulsa, but to think he'd be putting up those kind of numbers in the SEC is a bit much, IMO.

So you're telling me with a quality passing game, which would open up the run, which would in turn open up the pass, we wouldnt get 250 yards rushing with DMAC and Jones, and 250 yards passing a game with the kids who would have stayed had Gus stayed?

Silver Hog

Damn gus is great!  OC of the year coming right up.

Pig_Daddy_Cool

gohogsgo1234

Gus does not run the "D" so does not matter what they are giving up he is still a great coach. Leaps and bounds over HD.  I know I know going to say that's a cheesy league. Well maybe so but the players in USA Conf are pretty much the same level of ability and Gus dominates.  SEC all players should be on the same level of play as well. What did Ark do last year with Gus?  My point is you have to drivers 2 cars both Porche's. 1 driver is you and other is Jeff Gordon who is going to win the race? 

Pig_Daddy_Cool

Quote from: gohogsgo1234 on October 15, 2007, 08:45:30 am
My point is you have to drivers 2 cars both Porche's. 1 driver is you and other is Jeff Gordon who is going to win the race? 

Me, Id crash that SOB :D

Silver Hog

And this is Gus' fault how? 

PigPusher

But, Malzahn has nothing or very little to do with the defense. He does however have a lot to do with the offense and they are in full gallop. Give the coaches a couple of years to recruit and it will be a very different situation. IMO 

Someday Coach Malzahn is going to be a very fearsome major HC. Mark it down.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

gohogsgo1234

Im with you on that Gus will be one of the top coaches in the NCAA... Heck all the greats had to start somewhere.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Chappeee on October 15, 2007, 08:31:59 am
Yeah me too.  He may be facing weaker competition, but he doesn't have the talent to work with that we do.

anyone miss Gus? Yes, I think the PTB regarding the Hog football program have finally seen the light and are missing him greatly.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Grag T

Quote from: Pig_Daddy_Cool on October 15, 2007, 08:38:02 am
Quote from: locknuts_up on October 15, 2007, 08:37:14 am
GO TULSU

Someone seriously needs to photoshop your siggy pic and put Nutts face over Winklers!

Good Idea!  I'll have one ready by tomorrow...
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

retired-rambler

One big advantage Gus has is his QB, senior and experience.  Of course if Gus was still here maybe we still we have Mitch.  Be interesting to see where Gus is in 3 years.  Hopefully Nutt will be no where in sight.  Wouldn't wish him on any team.

hillhog

Quote from: swisshog on October 15, 2007, 08:44:28 am
Damn gus is great!  OC of the year coming right up.
I expect at the end of this season the "high school coach" will have been in college coaching for 2 years and will have 2 Offensive Coordinator of the Year awards. Not a bad percentage.

Bomis Hawg

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on October 15, 2007, 09:31:06 am
He doesn't coach defense.  We're just asking him to fix the offense.

The defense might be part of the reason why the offense is on the field as much as it is.

HogPsych

So?  That has nothing to do with Gus but with Tulsa's lack of talent.

Bomis Hawg

That does show you Gus' ability.
Tulsa has very little big-time talent.  Pumping teams for 500 yards is very nice.
I think getting into shootouts like 45-42 helps pad some stats, though.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on October 15, 2007, 10:07:31 am

The defense might be part of the reason why the offense is on the field as much as it is.

Maybe, but they're accomplishing a hell of a lot when they get out there.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Scott E.

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on October 15, 2007, 10:07:31 am

Your theory may have some truth, but if TU were running Hooty's offense, they'd be losing 70-6 each game.  A good defense ALSO keeps the offense on the field longer -- 3 & outs don't chew up much clock.

Bomis Hawg

Quote from: KEYS on October 15, 2007, 10:35:02 am
Your theory may have some truth, but if TU were running Hooty's offense, they'd be losing 70-6 each game.  A good defense ALSO keeps the offense on the field longer -- 3 & outs don't chew up much clock.

I think Gus' usage of his talent is amazing.  That's why he'll be a head coach soon.  He puts guys in the right spot, within his offensive scheme, to produce.  They do that.  It's easy for a team to just not play 100% and motivated if your team is being pumped for 35 on defense.

That happens to Arkansas very often. 

The point I was making is that the defensive woes allows for more offensive plays.  Tulsa is 34th in 3rd Down Conversion Percentage while 82nd in 3rd Down Conversion Defense.  But, a lot of credit should go to Gus for his ability to use what he has (for now) and produce a very good offense.

Gus and the guy from WVU had combined to make one solid group.  He does have another guy helping him at OC.

Scott E.

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on October 15, 2007, 10:40:42 am
Quote from: KEYS on October 15, 2007, 10:35:02 am

I think Gus' usage of his talent is amazing.  That's why he'll be a head coach soon.  He puts guys in the right spot, within his offensive scheme, to produce.  They do that.  It's easy for a team to just not play 100% and motivated if your team is being pumped for 35 on defense.

That happens to Arkansas very often. 

The point I was making is that the defensive woes allows for more offensive plays.  Tulsa is 34th in 3rd Down Conversion Percentage while 82nd in 3rd Down Conversion Defense.  But, a lot of credit should go to Gus for his ability to use what he has (for now) and produce a very good offense.

Gus and the guy from WVU had combined to make one solid group.  He does have another guy helping him at OC.

Without the benefit of reviewing statistics, I can only go by what I've witnessed.  At SHS, the offense was on the field more because the defense generally shut down the opponent.  There weren't many "long-clock-eating-drives" by SHS opponents in '05 (West Memphis was a big exception to that).  Now that I'm watching Gus' offense again at TU, it "feels" as though the offense is not on the field as much because the opponent is driving the ball downfield and picking up multiple first downs.  Long story short, if Graham's defense were a bit tougher, the offense would be on the field longer and the stats would be even more imposing.  Maybe they'll implement the Mercy Rule in CUSA before it's all said and done.  LOL!

Bomis Hawg

Quote from: KEYS on October 15, 2007, 10:46:15 am
Without the benefit of reviewing statistics, I can only go by what I've witnessed.  At SHS, the offense was on the field more because the defense generally shut down the opponent.  There weren't many "long-clock-eating-drives" by SHS opponents in '05 (West Memphis was a big exception to that).  Now that I'm watching Gus' offense again at TU, it "feels" as though the offense is not on the field as much because the opponent is driving the ball downfield and picking up multiple first downs.  Long story short, if Graham's defense were a bit tougher, the offense would be on the field longer and the stats would be even more imposing.  Maybe they'll implement the Mercy Rule in CUSA before it's all said and done.  LOL!

Less Talent and going for over 500 yards = More talent & more yards.
Tulsa was 24th last year in total offense.  21st in total defense.  Going to assume they lost a lot on defense.  They are 7th in pass eff. defense, FWIW.

Rocktownhog

GO HOGS!

DEVIL DOG HOG

If Gus were here the Hogs would be undefeated and HDN would take all the credit.  How stupid to get rid of your money maker.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

HatfieldHawg

The only person not missing Gus is HDN. 

I'm still hoping that Gus gets nominated for the Broyles award.  I might actually pay to go to the banquet if that was the case. 

3kgthog

But Gus wouldn't have Marcus Monk! Did you guys forget that Monk is Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, Chad Johnson and T.O. all rolled into one amazing genetic package?!

Chappeee

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 15, 2007, 11:17:40 am
But Gus wouldn't have Marcus Monk! Did you guys forget that Monk is Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, Chad Johnson and T.O. all rolled into one amazing genetic package?!

Gus would have found a way to utilize the other receivers better than Lee has.

atlheff

I didn't know Gus was responsible for the defense too.

dkimb4

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on October 15, 2007, 10:30:50 am
That does show you Gus' ability.
Tulsa has very little big-time talent.  Pumping teams for 500 yards is very nice.
I think getting into shootouts like 45-42 helps pad some stats, though.

I would give anything to have seen our offense do something beside 3 and out all night against Auburn.  Maybe it was because I was stuck on a plane from Atlanta to Louisville Friday night with a lot of LSU fans.. But I am sad to be a hog fan... They had so much excitement and i was stuck listening to them talk about football.. Any other year.. I would have talked smack.. made a few bets.. just enjoyed the company of fellow footballers.. instead.. I told the LSU fan who kept talking to the people behind me.. "if you don't shut up... I am going to beat you down in front of everyone.." (I'm a really big guy :))

PigPusher

It just classically illustrates the concept of good coach bad coach.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Jack The BN

Quote from: PigPusher on October 15, 2007, 08:49:06 am

But, Malzahn has nothing or very little to do with the defense. He does however have a lot to do with the offense and they are in full gallop. Give the coaches a couple of years to recruit and it will be a very different situation. IMO 

Someday Coach Malzahn is going to be a very fearsome major HC. Mark it down.

Even JFB said that he would be a HC of a major program someday.
I am fully cooperating with this investigation and looking forward to clearing my name

ScotchHog

Quote from: nychog on October 15, 2007, 08:42:05 am
Gus is doing a good job at Tulsa, but to think he'd be putting up those kind of numbers in the SEC is a bit much, IMO.
Well, they rolled up 400 total yards of offense against Oklahoma.  That's better than the Big 12 average against them.
And the flipside of the "they only score so much because other teams score so much" argument is this:  Tulsa has a quick strike offense.  I can't find the average time of their scoring drives, but I'd wager that they are the fastest in the nation (and second place wouldn't even be close).  The only thing that keeps them from putting even MORE points and yards on the board is that the other team is busy grinding out their own scoring drives.  Give Tulsa just two decent cornerbacks, and I bet they're undefeated right now.  Yes, they even would've beaten OU, just like Colorado did.
Always waiting

Tusks

It's now become funny how some people will go to the end of the earth to keep from giving Gus any credit.

The only thing to silence his critics will be to win a NC somewhere....
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Porkerpower

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 15, 2007, 11:17:40 am

Funny +1  assuming you're being facetious

bearcathog

"Never Trust a Bunny" Wolf to Twitchy

Jim Harris

Last I looked, Gus is only in charge of Tulsa's offense.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

dougieritch

Dude, we all miss Gus and those who don't are not telling the truth...but that is in the past we must move on with the dumb a$$ (Hooten) that we have left!

On a side note I hope we do play them in the Liberty Bowl.

BrooklynRoss

I agree. We should definitely not hire their defensive coordinator. He's terrible.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

GWFan

Gus is not Tulsa HC or DC either.  Only Offense.
At Springdale and shilo he had a ton of shut outs.

GWFan

Quote from: dougieritch on October 15, 2007, 12:55:22 pm

Dude, we all miss Gus and those who don't are not telling the truth...but that is in the past we must move on with the dumb a$$ (Hooten) that we have left!

On a side note I hope we do play them in the Liberty Bowl.
I doubt we go to a bowl this year  :-(

FAABrad

Rivals power rankings has Gus currently ranked at 14 on their top 20 list of OC's.  Funny I didnt see David Lee's name anywhere though :) .

GWFan

Quote from: FAABrad on October 15, 2007, 01:51:07 pm
Rivals power rankings has Gus currently ranked at 14 on their top 20 list of OC's.  Funny I didnt see David Lee's name anywhere though :) .
That's just because they're not listing any "All Pro type" OC's.  hehe