Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Say we had to get an up and comer...who would you take?

Started by UAfan, October 09, 2007, 12:31:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UAfan

I think Todd Graham would be included...give me your picks

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

gumby013

HOGansHero

Jim Harbaugh...Anyone that can be a 41 point dog and beat USC gets at least consideration from me. I think he was even playing with a new quarterback.

Hugulus Hog

Major Applewhite, he's responsible for whatever good things happened at Rice last year and he is the best thing about Alabama this year.

Graham, who is a defensive guy, always seems to coach teams that can't stop anybody.

HogHillbilly

October 09, 2007, 12:34:32 pm #5 Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 12:36:35 pm by HogHillbilly
Graham and Gus would be great...............I just wish MM was here to be the General

Or the OC or DC at OU
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

UAfan

UAfan

Erockster20

Peterson would be ok. But I don't consider someone who won a BCS game an up and comer.

markmchog

Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. - Thomas Paine, 1776

Harrisonhogfan

I hate to say it but all the infighting, cellphone, and banners are going to make is really hard for the hogs to get a young "up and coming" coach. If anything we will have to get a "on the way out" coach as a band-aid until this storm passes.

gumby013

Quote from: UAfan on October 09, 2007, 12:35:11 pm
did alabama try and hire petersen last year?

I can't find anything that says he was offered.  The only stuff out there is analysts saying he would have been a good match.

The real Hogules

Bren Venables (sp?) the DC at OU is an up and comer that I'd prefer over what we have at the present.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

bphi11ips

Quote from: Harrisonhogfan on October 09, 2007, 12:46:09 pm
I hate to say it but all the infighting, cellphone, and banners are going to make is really hard for the hogs to get a young "up and coming" coach.

BS
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

san1981

I heard UCLA is going to go after Peterson.

I say Kelly at Cincy. The guy is growing on me. He has another big game this weekend aganist Louisville. He his a great defense coach and a proven winner. He has already won a championship. Can anybody say the next Jim Tressel.

hogsanity

Why no love for Kelly?

Why the fascination with guys from Boise.  Look what the last 3 have done after they left.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

Harrisonhogfan

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 09, 2007, 12:49:15 pm
I hate to say it but all the infighting, cellphone, and banners are going to make is really hard for the hogs to get a young "up and coming" coach.

BS

I hope I am wrong but,what good coach would leave his job to come here and put up with the stuff that has gone on this last year?

Hogginitall

Quote from: hogsanity on October 09, 2007, 12:50:23 pm
Why no love for Kelly?

Why the fascination with guys from Boise.  Look what the last 3 have done after they left.

I agree, but you just opened a can of worms.  Hawkins' Colorado team just beat Oklahoma.  I do not want Peterson.  Give me Kelly, Sarkisian, Mullen, or Kevin Wilson.

Conway Cool Daddy

October 09, 2007, 12:55:27 pm #20 Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 01:00:02 pm by Conway Cool Daddy
Venables
Pellini
Bud Foster
Charlie Strong
Jimbo Fisher
Jason Garrett

Chizik - Iowa State
Kelly - Cincy
Sarkesian - USc

T-hawg

I'ts Diamond Hog time YALL!

Time for some crawfish and tailgating!

John Futrall

Quote from: UAfan on October 09, 2007, 12:38:39 pm
I'd take Bo Pellini in a heartbeat.

Ding Ding Ding!! We have a winner!! (my pick as well ;) )

hogsanity

Quote from: Hogginitall on October 09, 2007, 12:55:06 pm
Why no love for Kelly?

I agree, but you just opened a can of worms.  Hawkins' Colorado team just beat Oklahoma.  I do not want Peterson.  Give me Kelly, Sarkisian, Mullen, or Kevin Wilson.

No I didn't.  The guy who went to ASU had some big wins oo, but he is now completely out of coaching, I think.  Dont forget, Hawkins also lost to Montana St.  I do not care how poor your talent is, if you are in a BCS conference, you should NEVER LOSE TO A NON D1 School.

Hogginitall

Quote from: hogsanity on October 09, 2007, 12:59:35 pm
Quote from: Hogginitall on October 09, 2007, 12:55:06 pm
Why no love for Kelly?

No I didn't.  The guy who went to ASU had some big wins oo, but he is now completely out of coaching, I think.  Dont forget, Hawkins also lost to Montana St.  I do not care how poor your talent is, if you are in a BCS conference, you should NEVER LOSE TO A NON D1 School.

Like I said, I agree.  I just thought a lot of people might bring that up to trumpet Peterson, that's all.  There are much better choices than Peterson, imo.

oldhawg

Barman91

I hate to say it but all the infighting, cellphone, and banners are going to make is really hard for the hogs to get a young "up and coming" coach. If anything we will have to get a "on the way out" coach as a band-aid until this storm passes.

I totally disagree on this one....respectfully.

I have to believe an up-and-comer would jump at the opportunity.  Think about it.  You are a young, starbound coach.  The chance to come into an SEC program which, by all accounts, has been destroyed by its head coach.  You could have the best facilities anywhere, beautiful stadium, campus, and one of the best fan-bases in America.  You could be a savior.  Can you imagine the support that would be thrown behind such a coach?  It's a no-risk, no-brainer for a young guy. 

Hogs-n-Roses

This is easy stuff to do. Not the exact coach to get but the method. Take the successful colleges from around the south the last 8-10 years. Look at what they did and mimic it or heck even counsel with them about it. Look at Ga. , they hired a up and coming coordinator, Okla. hired Fla. co ordinator.,I use these examples cause its probably more fitting to the finances the U/A would be willing to do.Meyer was an up and comer as an existing head coach, as was Saban and Spurrier. I say go the Defensive Co. route, Pelini or Muschamp. Okla. has a great prospect also. I just have some reservations about Frank still being in the building.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: Harrisonhogfan on October 09, 2007, 12:51:58 pm

BS

I hope I am wrong but,what good coach would leave his job to come here and put up with the stuff that has gone on this last year?
Pay the money and most will come. Most coaches are just cocky enough to think that they will succeed where others have failed, in our case they just might.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on October 09, 2007, 01:14:51 pm
This is easy stuff to do. Not the exact coach to get but the method. Take the successful colleges from around the south the last 8-10 years. Look at what they did and mimic it or heck even counsel with them about it. Look at Ga. , they hired a up and coming coordinator, Okla. hired Fla. co ordinator.,I use these examples cause its probably more fitting to the finances the U/A would be willing to do.Meyer was an up and comer as an existing head coach, as was Saban and Spurrier. I say go the Defensive Co. route, Pelini or Muschamp. Okla. has a great prospect also. I just have some reservations about Frank still being in the building.

But the coaching landscape in the SEC changed with the last 3 hires------Saban, Meyer,and Spurrier----------up and comers, imo, wont cut it in the SEC right now. 

davehog

Gary Patterson.  Our recruiting in Texas would be outstanding from day 1 and that is a key element to perpetual success for the Razorback football program.

Panthers63

Jim Harbaugh and Chris Petersen are probably at the top of this list of "up and comers". I mean, just think about the recruits Harbaugh will get for just being Jim Harbaugh. But if I could choose any "up and comer" to be the new coach I would have to go with Jason Garrett.

slopinhogs

i'd take Grahan and Gus any old time over what we have now. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: hogsanity on October 09, 2007, 01:19:12 pm

But the coaching landscape in the SEC changed with the last 3 hires------Saban, Meyer,and Spurrier----------up and comers, imo, wont cut it in the SEC right now. 
I'm not trying to fool myself by thinking we'll get someone and everything will be peaches and cream. It could very well be a process where we have to do like Bama, Texas, LSU and give someone a shot and if we aren't there is 4-5 years, thank him and move on. The right fit is out there. There are to many positives with the U/A for us not to have a chance. The main thing is that we raise our expectations in all areas. We can no longer be OK with losing to Ky. at home twice in a row, Vandy. 130-31 USC. A 70 point loss coupled with a loss to Vandy in a 4-7 year then the next year gets raises and extentions, That's criminal!

CusefaninAR

BS

A coach who doesn't CAUSE the stuff that has gone on this last year!

bigyellowdog

I want a defensive guy such as:

Charlie Strong
Bo Pelini
Brent Venables

But I would make an exception for:
Steve Sarkisian
Gus

VenturaHog

Quote from: T-hawg on October 09, 2007, 12:56:35 pm
Quote from: JeffSpicoli on October 09, 2007, 12:47:48 pm
Charlie Strong

What he said ^^^^^^^^

Then get Gus for the OC.

This would be my pick, Strong is more than qualified and the man has won recruiter of the year twice i believe.

GrumpyHog

Let's just Hire Gus. He has the offense and style of ball were looking for.

Luke Duke

People just throw out the hot name of the week.  Goodness.

Jim Harbaugh?  How is he proven?  Because his team upset USC?  He's been a HC for, what, 5 games?

Lane Kiffin?  I'm sure he's dying to leave the NFL job he just took for Arkansas.

Chris Peterson?  Been a HC for one year with Hawkins' players.  Also, has a very sick kid who has great doctors in Boise.  Said he'd never leave.

Venables has always been a Co-DC, including having Stoops there.  Is he that good?

Jimbo Fisher?  Ever wonder why he's "applied" for every SEC opening in the last 5 years and was never even a finalist?
I remember I caught tons of hell on this board for saying Peterson was faster than McFadden.  That's one reason I was looking forward to the combine.  If McFadden ran a legit 4.28, you bet he'd be there.

-NWASooner

hawkhog

Jim Leavitt -- South Florida
Bobby Petrino -- Atlanta Falcons

RT1941

BS

$$$$$$ that's all that will make a good coach come to ARK.  $$$$$$$
RazorTusk!!!!

RT1941

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on October 09, 2007, 01:27:13 pm
Quote from: hogsanity on October 09, 2007, 01:19:12 pm

I'm not trying to fool myself by thinking we'll get someone and everything will be peaches and cream. It could very well be a process where we have to do like Bama, Texas, LSU and give someone a shot and if we aren't there is 4-5 years, thank him and move on. The right fit is out there. There are to many positives with the U/A for us not to have a chance. The main thing is that we raise our expectations in all areas. We can no longer be OK with losing to Ky. at home twice in a row, Vandy. 130-31 USC. A 70 point loss coupled with a loss to Vandy in a 4-7 year then the next year gets raises and extentions, That's criminal!

I agree, it's going to be a long process.  The sooner the current staff is GONE, the sooner the process can begin.  There will be some growing pains for sure, but IMO, it can't be any more painful than it's been over the past 11 months.  ARK has got to MOVE ON.
RazorTusk!!!!

The_Iceman

Any Top assistant that will do two things:

win and bring back integrity!

PCHogs

My websites: 

Watchman Fellowship (a Christian discernment ministry with expertise on cults, new religious movements and world religions): www.watchman.org

CC not PC (Constitutionally Correct not Politically Correct):  www.facebook.com/ccnotpc and www.ccnotpc.com

arkrazbloodred

:) ;) :D ;D :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
My choice is still June Jones of Hawaii and OC Norm Chow.
June Jones salary is at $950K, and he would love to be
making what Nutt is currently making.

GuardHog

A coach with INTEGRITY won't be bothered by passionate fans. He'll know he won't  be criticized
because he won't commit acts that would open him to such scrutiny.....

san1981

I hope the coaching search is a short process. We have to get the ball moving early. There are going to be so many big time programs looking for a head coach (UCLA, Texas A&M, Michigan?, LSU?, Nebraska?, Louisville?, TN?) hopefully we are conducted a search right now and getting a head start.

The_Iceman

Quote from: PCHogs on October 09, 2007, 02:41:53 pm
Todd Graham or the guy at Cincinnati.

Kelly looks like an awesome choice right now.

this may sound weird, but i am more worried about "up and coming" head coaches than I am assistants at Florida, USC, LSU, etc.

RIVERRAT1