Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mark May is such a PRICK!!!

Started by Razorfox, October 06, 2007, 08:40:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

incHOGnito

Correct me if I am wrong, but no one was talking about D-Mac as a Heisman candidate until after we punished Tennessee on November 11. People recognized that he was great and South Carolina, and then he really became a contender after the Tennessee game where he threw at least one TD and ran a few more.

The point is that with his name recognition already established, it would not take much to put him back at the top of the race (ESPN.com has him on top still). If he keeps putting up 140 a game and a TD or two and we win the games we should, he can win the Heisman in the last 4 games of the year (SC, Tenn, Miss. State and LSU). Even if LSU wins out and beats us, if he is able to slice up their defense (which most say is one of the best D's in history) like he did last year, he will get his chance.

On the other hand, Booty could do the same. If he starts posting huge numbers towards the end of the season he could easily take it home even though he has not played that great this year. This would be quite similar to the Carson Palmer situation. If I recall, he had a decent year until the last 5 games where he just tore it up and wound up coming out of nowhere to win it.

Right now, noone is really setting themselves apart.

Booty- playing solid for a great team
DMac- playing great for a decent team
Tebow- most likely won't get it because he is only a Soph. but until last week was having the most Heisman-like season.
BC QB- can't remember his name off the top of my head, but being in the ACC will hurt him. Only two Heisman trophies have gone to ACC schools (not counting Miami and BC who weren't in the ACC at the time and BC's was in the 1950s) and both to FSU QBs.

chirohog75

October 06, 2007, 04:19:37 pm #101 Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 05:55:40 pm by chirohog75
Quote from: taintlint on October 06, 2007, 10:36:25 am
Quote from: PorcineSublime on October 06, 2007, 10:32:04 am
I agree with most of what you said. Dmac will have to have 2200+ yds to win on an 8-5 team. What I don't agree with is your inference that he wanted to not play the second half against NTSU. I think he would have done his throwing up on the field had HDN let him. DMac may be misguided in his love for his coach, but I don't really see him as a Prima Donna. Perhaps I misread you on that.

I should have made that more clear. I believe Darren would play as much as allowed. He is being held back.

Again, don't make him run 50 times over 4 quarters but a 130 yard performance against UNT was sad. What exactly are we saving him for? The SEC title hunt? The Sugar bowl? We are talking about a season that is nothing more than a fight for the Independence or Peach over the Liberty and Music City bowls!

He can put up some highlights against our SEC foes but stats, by most contenders, have always been inflated by inferior talent. Not with us though! We bench him and say "Oh the voters wouldn't give him credit for yards in this game". BS! Mark May just rambled of stats by his top 5 that were NOTHING BUT stats inflated by punishing cupcakes.

You have to play the game. Houston isn't.

OK, I'm on record as wanting Nutt gone, and being a bad coach.  As bad as Houston is, do you think he should go into the locker room and say,

"Listen men our season is done.  We have 2 conference loses.  We are playing for the Cotton bowl.  Maybe Texas will lose a couple and we can play them in the Cotton.  We have bigger things to think about men.  We have the best player in football on our team.  Instead of going for wins, resting our best players, and thinking about the long term for both our team and dmac; we have bigger aspirations.  We are going to run #5 until his tongue drags because that Heisman will mean so much for the helmet.  The season is over men, now let's go get #5 that Heisman.  It is gonna be special."

As much as I want Nutt gone; I think this line of thinking in the coaches box, locker room, sideline, in the stands, and at home cheering is absolutely stupid.  If you think our team's goals for the season should shift toward winning individual honors, you are thinking wrong.  I guess we could run him 40 times a game like Rutgers did Rice against their cupcakes when he was still a candidate.  I for one was actually glad we did something other than run dmac for 250+ last week, and I hope we do the same this week.  His best games are traditionally against our best opponents.  I don't care if he wins the award.  I want him to be healthy when he goes on to show his merit at the next level.  If our coaches and fans really care about this team, they should feel the same way.

Tusks

So I don't understand what the argument is about.....got on the thread late....I will say that only 40% of 2,000 yard rushers win the trophy.....guys that play on 5 loss teams don't get it either. 

So for Dmac to win the Heisman he needs close to 2,400 yards.....which he wont get.....or the hogs finish 11-2 with a SECC before the bowl game.....which isn't going to happen either.

Do I think DMAC is the best player in college....absofrickenlutely.....does he deserve the Heisman...absofrickenlutely........is he going to win it at his current rushing rate....absofrickenlutely NOT. 

They just don't give it out to players on 5 loss teams.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

PigWig

I think this quote best sums up my opinion.

"McFadden is without question the most talented individual in college football today. Let's put it this way: If he elects to leave school early for the 2008 NFL draft, then McFadden could become the first running back selected No. 1 overall since Ki-Jana Carter in 1995. As we all know, the trophy typically goes to the biggest offensive star on the nation's best team. But with all the chaos atop the rankings and with LSU and USC void of a Heisman-like standout, McFadden could become the exception to the rule -- a la Barry Sanders. "

-Todd McShay (ESPN)

PintailKiller

Quote from: nutted on October 06, 2007, 04:21:45 pm
So I don't understand what the argument is about.....got on the thread late....I will say that only 40% of 2,000 yard rushers win the trophy.....guys that play on 5 loss teams don't get it either. 

So for Dmac to win the Heisman he needs close to 2,400 yards.....which he wont get.....or the hogs finish 11-2 with a SECC before the bowl game.....which isn't going to happen either.

Do I think DMAC is the best player in college....absofrickenlutely.....does he deserve the Heisman...absofrickenlutely........is he going to win it at his current rushing rate....absofrickenlutely NOT. 

They just don't give it out to players on 5 loss teams.

Perfect. 
The Heisman has turned into somewhat of a popularity contest among the best offensive player on the premier teams.  Just because your the best player doesn't guarantee you the trophy.  Dmac will need better stats and more TDs to get the trophy.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

Honey

Quote from: PigWig on October 06, 2007, 04:37:44 pm
I think this quote best sums up my opinion.

"McFadden is without question the most talented individual in college football today. Let's put it this way: If he elects to leave school early for the 2008 NFL draft, then McFadden could become the first running back selected No. 1 overall since Ki-Jana Carter in 1995. As we all know, the trophy typically goes to the biggest offensive star on the nation's best team. But with all the chaos atop the rankings and with LSU and USC void of a Heisman-like standout, McFadden could become the exception to the rule -- a la Barry Sanders. "

-Todd McShay (ESPN)

Gee, I just posted that.  ;)
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=161929.0

Conway4Hogs

October 06, 2007, 05:33:48 pm #106 Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 05:35:21 pm by Conway4Hogs
Quote from: ctthras on October 06, 2007, 09:30:09 am
We have two losses you idiots....he is not getting the heisman....get over it!!!!
Never mind

HardKnockBlu

MM is like many radio/tv personalities. A lot of what they say is meant to be controversial.  However, the Hogs have done nothing against quality opponents thus far in the season and, as previously pointed out, DMAC's stats against cupcake schools have not been Heisman worthy.  Sure he had good stats against Kentucky and Alabama, but in this day and age the Heisman goes to the best Player on the best Team. I think that these last quarter blown leads and wasted opportunities have blown DMAC's chances at the HT. I still think he'll win the Doak Walker though. The hogs need to prove MM wrong and thus far they have not.

chirohog75

Quote from: taintlint on October 06, 2007, 10:50:43 am
I already have this in another thread but.........

The Heisman race is a game in and of itself. Houston Nutt does not seem to want to play the game and MMQB seems content to not play it either. Of course, I'm referencing sitting Darren on the bench for AN ENTIRE HALF against UNT and to a lesser degree splitting so much time with Felix. You can't have it both ways.

No one wants to see Darren needlessly run the ball 50 times and get a concussion or a torn Hamstring but there has been almost ZERO attempts by the staff to ensure Heisman numbers and highlights. If you want to worry about injuries, forget the Heisman. The risk of injury while padding stats comes with the territory.

Mark May does not see Darren as a legit Heisman candidate because by 2007 standards, he's not. He plays on a bad team and puts up good, but not great, numbers. Excuses (his tummy hurt, he was dehydrated, he only played a half) may be valid reasons for not playing someone but they do not qualify someone for the Heisman. Just because everyone knows your the best, doesn't make the Heisman trophy yours. You have to actually earn it.

You don't have to like it but Darren will continue to drop off radars as BCS polls start to come out. If Darren were fighting for a high publicity Bowl or the SEC Title, his coaches could take the "we don't care" approach they have thus far but the truth is that we may end up 8-4 (Best case scenario) and play in the Liberty Bowl.

The ONLY REASON Ricky Williams won on a HORRIBLE 9-3 Texas team was that Ricky punished cupcakes to the tune of 200 - 250 yards a game. You have to have highlights and stats, not excuses, to overcome a bad team.

Save the "people would bitch" if he got hurt responses. No one wants him to get hurt but you have to decide if you want the Heisman to rest in Fayetteville or not. It's part of the game and we are not playing it.

I wonder if Williams had a big blunt put in the stiff arm hand of his award? 

CusefaninAR

Quote from: PigWig on October 06, 2007, 11:38:02 am
Quote from: CusefaninAR on October 06, 2007, 11:33:00 am
Quote from: PigWig on October 06, 2007, 11:29:49 am
Quote from: CusefaninAR on October 06, 2007, 11:23:17 am
Quote from: PigWig on October 06, 2007, 11:20:45 am
Quote from: CusefaninAR on October 06, 2007, 11:10:01 am
Quote from: PigWig on October 06, 2007, 10:58:14 am
Try reading my post again.  My point was, and maybe you don't have the intellect to comprehend this, McFadden has performed better against SEC opponents than nonconference opponents.

DATE OPP RESULT          ATT YDS AVG LNG TD
9/1 Troy W 46-26           24  151  6.3   25    1
9/15 @Alabama L 41-38  33  195  5.9   23    2  
9/22 Kentucky L 42-29    29  173  6.0   56    1
9/29 N. Texas W 66-7     19  138  7.3   51    2 .

He is on pace for 1971 yards this season, at his current rate, in 12 games.  He rushed for 1647 last year in 14 games.  If you assume the Hogs make a bowl game, DMac is on pace for 2135 yards.

Read this post and think about it before you post something else that makes you look dumber

First of all, the Heisman is handed out before any bowl game.  (Dumb point number 1)

Second of all, you rip one player for putting up gaudy numbers against inferior talent, and then you use McFadden's gaudy numbers against inferior talent (Troy, N. Texas, and soon-to-be UT-C and Fla. Int.) in your analysis?  (Dumb point number 2)

Third, you conveniently seem to ignore anything I've bothered to post.  If McFadden puts up 1900 yards, it's his trophy.  I said that historically, and particularly recently, running backs need to have special seasons to win the Heisman over QB's who put up gaudy numbers.  If you are going to argue with me, please argue with points I've made, not ones you seem to like to make up as you go along.  Either that or read some of these other posts before you are the one making yourself look stupid.  Ooops...too late.

One last point to ponder...if your contention is that McFadden is performing better against SEC talent than non-SEC talent, why is he averaging more yards per carry against nonconference opponents than he is against conference opponents?  Huh?  Your own numbers tell the tale.

"First of all, the Heisman is handed out before any bowl game.  (Dumb point number 1)"

"How many yards is he projected to reach? "

Just answering your question.

Second of all, you rip one player for putting up gaudy numbers against inferior talent, and then you use McFadden's gaudy numbers against inferior talent (Troy, N. Texas, and soon-to-be UT-C and Fla. Int.) in your analysis?  (Dumb point number 2)

As I have already posted, " DMAC had 79 yards more against AL and KY than he had against Troy and NT" and the same amount of TD's.  

Not playing a single snap in the second half of the N. Texas game is much different than leaving your QB in deep into the 4th quarter with a huge lead to pad his stats against weak nonconference opponents.

Funny how you forgot to mention that he had more 19 more carries against UK/UA than TU/UNT.
Thats exactly my point.  He is not getting 30 touches for 300 yards against these cupcakes.  The majority of his stats come from games against legit SEC defenses.

Your stated point was that DMac performed better against conference opponents than nonconference opponents.  Your posted statistics show that he averages more per carry against nonconference opponents than conference opponents.  You contradict yourself every time you open your mouth. 
So YPC is the only determinant of performance? I have been to every game this season, have you? I can tell you this, DMac played a much better game against the two SEC opponents than the nonconferences cupcakes.

Idiot.

Smithian

I'm a Redskins fan who will not defend Mark May. At all.