Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spurrier to his QBs: Never Tip Where You're Throwing the Ball

Started by WilsonHog, October 04, 2007, 07:26:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

What kind of advice is that?

Pretty obvious that the man knows nothing about playing/coaching quarterbacks.

Oh, and he's also teaching his receivers some move called "foot fire," which almost has to be illegal in the SEC.

redbarn

"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

Footballref

Maybe Casey should take some of that advice I have never seen someone telegraph their pass worse then he does.

Oliver

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 04, 2007, 07:26:57 pm

Oh, and he's also teaching his receivers some move called "foot fire," which almost has to be illegal in the SEC.

Developing players is overrated.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Oliver Miller on October 04, 2007, 07:44:09 pm

So is play-calling.

Oliver

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 04, 2007, 07:44:45 pm

So is play-calling.

What I envy are the South Carolina fans and Kentucky fans watching tonight who still don't know what the ceiling is for their respective programs with their respective coaches.

Silver Hog

31to6

So is play-calling.

The game will just come down to who wants it more.

IronHog

Sandlot football 101.

I played pickup ball in college with guys who were better at looking off safeties than HDN's QB's.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

H&D

I heard it won't work in the SEC.........
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Dixie Chicken

Doesn't know what he's talking about. Spurrier's never coached up a Tony Romo type quarterback. He could learn a thing or two if he'd spend some time with David Lee.

txrzrbk

Sorry Wilson, I usually agree with you, but Spurrier has a great reputation as an offensive football coach, especially when it comes to the passing game.  We unfortunately will be able to get a good comparison on coaching for the passing game when SC plays Arkansas.

Oliver

Quote from: txrzrbk on October 04, 2007, 09:40:19 pm

Sorry Wilson, I usually agree with you, but Spurrier has a great reputation as an offensive football coach, especially when it comes to the passing game.  We unfortunately will be able to get a good comparison on coaching for the passing game when SC plays Arkansas.

This is why we need a "sarcasm" button.

Hawgasaurus

The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.

txrzrbk

Quote from: Oliver Miller on October 04, 2007, 09:40:59 pm

This is why we need a "sarcasm" button.

Don't even tell me Wilson did some sarcasm. Hell, I didn't think he was at that level. Okay, my stupid!

H&D

So has anyone ever said this too you? "It's like you wake up in a different world everyday"
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Hawgz4Life

all the experts know that this "not tipping off the db's and this 'foot fire'" is all a bunch of flash in the pan stuff that won't last the whole season in the SEC.

94 Hawg

tipping, play calling, whatever.

i bet super steve don't know nothin' about ladders
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

EastexHawg

Quote from: Dixie Chicken on October 04, 2007, 09:39:30 pm
Doesn't know what he's talking about. Spurrier's never coached up a Tony Romo type quarterback. He could learn a thing or two if he'd spend some time with David Lee.

I bet Spurrier doesn't even know the value of LADDERS...

I don't think he'll ever make it in this coaching business.

ArkieBrat

My all time Razorback favs.....

1. 1969 Shootout (Longhorns 'n Hogs football)
2.  Great Alaska Shootout under Eddie Sutton
3.  Orange Bowl CLASSIC under the Great Lou
4.  Rollin w/Nolan AND the '94 NC
5.  Being able to see Nolan and Company at the Aloha Classic in Honolulu (Dec '94) & all of us breaking bread together at a luau, & watching Nolan do the hula after being called onstage. AWESOME!  It doesn't get any better than that.

Pig_Lebowski

If a QB throws a pass squarely into the back of our DB's, well, thats good defense.

SultanofSwine

How did those two teams get away with WR's running past the first down marker. I thought it was a penalty for them to run past the yellow line...

Nashville Fan

So is play-calling.

And recruiting.
Pittman or Bust!

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Oliver Miller on October 04, 2007, 07:48:23 pm

So is play-calling.

What I envy are the South Carolina fans and Kentucky fans watching tonight who still don't know what the ceiling is for their respective programs with their respective coaches.

I agree, whereas we know the space between our ceiling and floor is about 18 inches.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

stevenwayneslane

Quote from: SultanofSwine on October 05, 2007, 08:05:32 am
How did those two teams get away with WR's running past the first down marker. I thought it was a penalty for them to run past the yellow line...
I guess you noticed that last night too. I was pissed everytime I viewed one of there widerecivers catching the all right at the first down marker. Why are our recievers not coached like that. Gosh it is simple to figure out. We just can't seem to get that down. It isn't becuase our players are not executing it is the coaching when it happens over and over again.

Reservoir Hogs

What I noticed all night last night is that when smelly was passing to a reciever, he was actually open... Imagine that, a passing attack that woeks to gets Recievers open somehow.   OHH to have a good coach

DeltaBoy

Quote from: razrhog05 on October 05, 2007, 08:29:02 am
What I noticed all night last night is that when smelly was passing to a reciever, he was actually open... Imagine that, a passing attack that woeks to gets Recievers open somehow.   OHH to have a good coach

Amen the Ole Ball Coach had SC on Fire last nite!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

notreseveredname

October 05, 2007, 08:32:50 am #29 Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 08:35:27 am by notreseveredname
Quote from: wdremington on October 04, 2007, 09:16:10 pm

So is play-calling.

Who wants it more? What is this, high school or junior high football?  Coaching, talent, and depth wins football games. 

Choctaw Hog

That would be hard to accomplish with all of Nutt's 1 receiver pass plays. 

31to6

Quote from: notreseveredname on October 05, 2007, 08:32:50 am

So is play-calling.

Who wants it more? What is this, high school or junior high football?  Coaching, talent, and depth wins football games. 
No way, coaching, talent and depth are all over-rated. It comes down to heart. And who loves that helmet the most.

HogNuttz

If we come out against South Carolina in press coverage, I might break my TV.  They will score on us lighting quick if we start out in press man ala Bama.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

KluchHawg

But, according to Woodson, Smelley was looking down his receiver last night.  During one of the side line reports it was said that Woodson went to his defense and told them to watch Smelley's eyes, that he was looking down the receiver every play. 

I'm sure all coaches teach this, if we think it is common sense, then I bet every coach in the country knows it too.  Just because your teaching someone every thing they need to know, doesn't mean they are going to be able to do it.  Sometimes it comes down to natural talent.  Some coaches get lucky finding that natural talent, and some don't.  I guess you can say some also get lucky finding natural talent, but can't figure out how to keep them on  the team.   

biggiepiggie

Running routes is way over-rated.  All a guy has to do is run a few yards down
the field, stop, turn around and wait for the ball.  Simple as can be.

DCimport

Quote from: wdremington on October 05, 2007, 08:56:29 am
Quote from: notreseveredname on October 05, 2007, 08:32:50 am

So is play-calling.

No way, coaching, talent and depth are all over-rated. It comes down to heart. And who loves that helmet the most.

someone needs to come up with nifty sarcasm symbol to place in moments of sarcasm.  However, I suppose it would over emphasis the sarcastic statement and lose some of its humor, nevermind.

wholehog92

Quote from: mrs.hogfan on October 05, 2007, 09:36:00 am
But, according to Woodson, Smelley was looking down his receiver last night.  During one of the side line reports it was said that Woodson went to his defense and told them to watch Smelley's eyes, that he was looking down the receiver every play. 

I'm sure all coaches teach this, if we think it is common sense, then I bet every coach in the country knows it too.  Just because your teaching someone every thing they need to know, doesn't mean they are going to be able to do it.  Sometimes it comes down to natural talent.  Some coaches get lucky finding that natural talent, and some don't.  I guess you can say some also get lucky finding natural talent, but can't figure out how to keep them on  the team.   

That my friend is how Kentucky got all those ints last night, by reading Smelley's eyes after Woodson tipped of the defenders to look at em.  Hell, it sounds like Woodson could coach the Razorback secondary for an improvement.  At least their heads would be turned in the right direction!
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Oklahawg

I was concerned to see so many handoffs that were discreet. Don't coaches know that if you don't telegraph the handoff the handoffer runs the risk of having the handoffee not see it?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Bigmac

Quote from: SultanofSwine on October 05, 2007, 08:05:32 am

And throwing on first down. When was that allowed. Better check the NCAA regs.

67Hog

Quote from: Footballref on October 04, 2007, 07:31:50 pm
Maybe Casey should take some of that advice I have never seen someone telegraph their pass worse then he does.

And I wish Casey wouldn't hand the ball off like a rural postal delivery person.  I mean, can't you pretend there might be another mailbox?

Hoggish1

No kiddin'.  I heard one of them TV guys saying something about that too and I almost spilled my beer.

Anybody knows you take the snap and fix your eyes on your "go to receiver." (The only one out)  When he makes his break at the first down marker, you throw it a little late so he has to come back just a little and he catches it a couple yards short. 

Punt.

Go ahead and ask the experts, if you don't believe me.

67Hog

Quote from: GAR on October 05, 2007, 10:49:40 pm
Quote from: 67Hog on October 05, 2007, 10:24:29 pm
Quote from: Footballref on October 04, 2007, 07:31:50 pm

And I wish Casey wouldn't hand the ball off like a rural postal delivery person.  I mean, can't you pretend there might be another mailbox?

Thank you for noticing, I had almost forgotten since I am no longer watching as of this year.  I watched MM last year continually deliver very well disguised handoffs that had defenses wondering which back had the ball and taking steps in the wrong direction.  Then Casey would come in and hold it out there for the world to see and the entire defense would be waiting on our back at the line.  It was unbelievable the difference.  I tried pointing this out to several people and they acted like it wasn't happening.  Good to know someone else has noticed this.

I suspect Casey has been taught this.  I remember a few years ago when Iowa had a star quarterback (the year they played USC in a Florida bowl, I forget his name) who handed off in the same deliberate way.

When I played football in high school (not a quarterback), I remember the coaches teaching the quarterbacks to hold the ball close to their body and then tuck it into the pocket of the running back.

This is more like holding out a mailbag at a train station for a train to extend a hook to capture.

I don't understand such intricacies of the game, too long removed, and never that deep a fan, but still, this doesn't make sense.

oldtimerhog

Quote from: sowmonella on October 04, 2007, 09:39:16 pm
Jr High QB's are taught not to stare down a reciever.

They also usually have more than one receiver in a route.
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

TheBigBadBoar

oldtimerhog

Houston "I'm a better coach the further South I go" Nutt and David "Barney Fife / Waterboy" Lee aren't even qualified to hold Spurrier's headset cord on the sideline...
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!