Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would Tommy Come?

Started by chuckinss, October 02, 2007, 02:12:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

chuckinss

Would Tommy Tuberville come to Arkansas, and if so, how much would it cost?  I think he would be the perfect fit.  He could bring Will Muschamp with him.  Tuberville is the only "big name" I think we have a shot at.  There are quite a few "up and comers" that I like, but he is the only "big name" I see us having the possibility to get.  The dynamics of this are very interesting because of the change in AD's.  The new AD knows he will HAVE to get this hiring right and then may cause him NOT to gamble on an unproven coach.  Just my thoughts.....

fourche creek

nutt aint going nowhere....mark it down

hydrophonic

I expect Tubberville to be at A&M next year.
"The future sucks." "Change it."

RT1941

Why would Tubberville want to move from Auburn to Arkansas?  He would have to rebuild the entire team next year AND still play the same folks.  IMO, Tubbs is still trying to prove a point to the PTB at Auburn.  He wants them to know he's the boss and he will leave on his own terms.  If he survived Jet Gate, then I think he can call the shots on his departure.  
RazorTusk!!!!

The_Iceman

its interesting to think about. since saban is kinda taking over alabama, would tommy t. come here to have his own state and program? he was able to get burns a ziemba, so maybe he can recruit arkansas better than nutt, while keeping the big recruits already committed in 2008.

razornole

he told dorko he would last December, but dorko didn't get the bummer job
Broyles is Porter Waggoner trying to play hip-hop - John Brummett

HawgAdvocate

While it's possible to think it could happen considering he might want to get away from the impending shadow Saban will bring over Bama, as well as the underhanded tactics previously done by his AD, I can't see Tuberville making that change.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

mword

ceegar

Go Hogs. Go Noles.

dougieritch

Sorry guys, I like Tommy, but to me he hasn't ridden the wave of success following his 13-0 season.  I would perfer someone else.  No matter what he is better than Dale!

Michael_Porkleone

Regardless of the chances of his coming here or not I have come to like TT. I used to love to hate him but after watching some of his interviews my thinking has changed.

WP razorback

Quote from: fourche creek on October 02, 2007, 02:14:07 pm

I somewhat agree with you.  I would not mind a coaching change, but I do not think one will happen as time passes.  Hopefully, I am wrong because I would like to start winning games that we should or have won, but let them slip away due to poor playcalling, coaching, or whatever it may be (Alabama 2007, Kentucky 2007, LSU 2006, Texas 22-20 in Fay., etc.).

I would not mind Tuberville coming to the Hill.

DeltaBoy

Tommy would and can take us to the next level He did it at Tigger and with Frank out of the way He could here.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

RT1941

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 02, 2007, 02:32:43 pm
Tommy would and can take us to the next level He did it at Tigger and with Frank out of the way He could here.

IMO, TT doesn't know what to do when he gets you to the "next level".  Where has Auburn been since he came?  Sure a 13-0 season, but because Auburn is no national prominence team, they weren't allowed to play for the NC.  Since then, TT has had alot of talent and done very little in the realm of championships with the talent.  Sure he beat Bama 5 times straight, but so did LSU, Tenn, etc. during the same time frame.   My point is, Ark should look for a bigger name than TT when Nutt is dismissed.
RazorTusk!!!!

darth sooie

Tuberville  contract got a huge penalty if he leaves auburn. Of course, if he gets fired, they owe him big:

Auburn's buyout and Tuberville's penalty is $7 million for the first two years of the contract, $6 million for 2007-08, $5 million for 2009, $4 million for 2010 and $3 million for 2011.

I thought he might go to A&M but even if they wanted him, auburn would have to waive the penalty.

hogsanity

A couple of things to note:

1.  JFB WANTED TUBBERVILLE.  He runs the type of offense/defense that JFB loves. 

2.  Tubberville is just as good at messing up a great season as anyone.  I mean, check out last year, and this year for proof of that.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: darth sooie on October 02, 2007, 03:07:39 pm
Tuberville  contract got a huge penalty if he leaves auburn. Of course, if he gets fired, they owe him big:

Auburn's buyout and Tuberville's penalty is $7 million for the first two years of the contract, $6 million for 2007-08, $5 million for 2009, $4 million for 2010 and $3 million for 2011.

I thought he might go to A&M but even if they wanted him, auburn would have to waive the penalty.

Or some big A&M booster, or set of boosters, will pay the penalty.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

dmac4sainthood

Two reasons why Tubervile WOULD..not saying will, just would

1) He created a giant at Auburn and the expectations may eventually overwhelm him, and he knows that, especially with Saban two hours away...if he starts losing to Bama, the Tiger faithful will turn on him...sometimes, it is best to leave at a high point, even if there is no true indication that it will blow up, because you can get the same money else where, be appreciated, and not get fired...

2)To stick it up Auburn's....for the Petrino thing...anyone who believes he has forgotten, I think is kidding themselves.  I don't think its at the forefront of thought, but he hasn't forgotten.  

Tone

Quote from: hydrophonic on October 02, 2007, 02:16:10 pm
I expect Tubberville to be at A&M next year.

This was talked about on an Alabama blog today.  They even asked TT about it.  His response was typical, I am the coach at auburn etc., etc.   He just built a 9,000 sq ft house and apparently just moved in.  He has a young team and they are looking better.  Suspect he is not going anywhere. 

leftymgp

Quote from: DonewithNuttless on October 02, 2007, 02:18:21 pm
its interesting to think about. since saban is kinda taking over alabama, would tommy t. come here to have his own state and program? he was able to get burns a ziemba, so maybe he can recruit arkansas better than nutt, while keeping the big recruits already committed in 2008.

You answered your own question, he already does.

FT LNG CHILI HOG

let's hope and pray not!!! :razorback:.....If he does I will start my own black shirt campaign, banners will fly,start singing foi,foi,foi!!!!....lol......kidding about all that.....just really don't care for him honestly.

RT1941

Quote from: dmac4sainthood on October 02, 2007, 03:23:33 pm

1) He created a giant at Auburn and the expectations may eventually overwhelm him, and he knows that, especially with Saban two hours away...if he starts losing to Bama, the Tiger faithful will turn on him...sometimes, it is best to leave at a high point, even if there is no true indication that it will blow up, because you can get the same money else where, be appreciated, and not get fired...

2)To stick it up Auburn's....for the Petrino thing...anyone who believes he has forgotten, I think is kidding themselves.  I don't think its at the forefront of thought, but he hasn't forgotten.  
As stated above, TT is really good at screwing up a good season, just like Nutt.  Look at last year, hell look at this year if you want....   
RazorTusk!!!!

stevo98

TT is 5-0 against top 10 and 9-1 against top 10

How does that compare to Nuttless?

HoopHog

I don't think Nutt is going anywhere.  But, I do think Tubberville would come home to take over at Arkansas, if given the chance.

OldArmy94

Among Aggie circles, we're hearing that Tuberville is headed to A&M next year.  There are mixed feelings about it, believe me, but it seems we're in the same boat as the Hogs.

Hogs-n-Roses

Frank is still in the building. We may get an up and comer to take a chance. I know I'm the one who used to say that they'd line up to come here. Lets just say I've been enlightened.

IronHog

Quote from: dmac4sainthood on October 02, 2007, 03:23:33 pm

3.  TT grew up in Camden, Arkansas and that means somewhere, down deep he is still a Razorback.  He has already made tons of cash as a coach and he reaching the age he might just want to do something to remind him of his youth.

No one should be shocked if TT looks at the Arkansas job at some point.  I think UofA could do much worse.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

dmac4sainthood

I really don't think TT has screwed up much at Auburn...he had a bad start to the year, but Auburn is no where near where it is if he wasn't there.  You can't go unbeaten every year, and he has done a solid job...isn't he the 2nd winningest current coach (by %) in the SEC behind Richt over the past 8 years.

I am not sure of that stat, correct it if I am wrong, but I thought I heard that.  He seems like he has done a fine job...Sometimes you have slow starts, and sometimes you just get beat.  I thought he has done a good job building Auburn up to be a national, relavant name.

Who else has beaten their rival like a drum the way Auburn has the last 5 years? 

fdx flyer

October 02, 2007, 07:44:29 pm #28 Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 07:48:41 pm by fdx flyer
Where are the comments that he's screwed up this season coming from?   He's starting 3 freshmen on the O line.  Has no returning standouts in the backfield.   Most of the people who follow Auburn knew this would probably be a down year.   Yes, they didn't look good early.  But they're young and improving.  Usually when a coach takes a team this young and beats #4 Florida on their home field I call it an accomplishment, not a screwed up season.   If they can somehow beat LSU (who thought they'd beat Florida) they're almost certainly in the conference championship.

Did you watch the game?  Did you see the gutsy call to go for the TD instead of 3 in the first half.  TT is not afraid to do what it takes to win.  Playing not to lose never crosses his mind.  That's what I like about him.  If he left Auburn, I'd love to see him at Arkansas.   I'm a little biased though.  I follow Auburn almost as much as the hogs - Arkansas native, Auburn grad '93. 

texas tush hog

Quote from: darth sooie on October 02, 2007, 03:07:39 pm

I don't know where you got this information but you are right on target but A&M has already
checked into it and this is chump change to them. That's why I know your figures are correct.
Tubby will be at Aggieland in 2008 ,bank it.

Hugulus Hog

Quote from: fourche creek on October 02, 2007, 02:14:07 pm

Book it.

A whole lot of people are setting themselves up for a whole lot of disappointment.  hdn won't get fired for going 8-4 or better.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: chuckinss on October 02, 2007, 02:12:40 pm
Would Tommy Tuberville come to Arkansas, and if so, how much would it cost?  I think he would be the perfect fit.  He could bring Will Muschamp with him.  Tuberville is the only "big name" I think we have a shot at.  There are quite a few "up and comers" that I like, but he is the only "big name" I see us having the possibility to get.  The dynamics of this are very interesting because of the change in AD's.  The new AD knows he will HAVE to get this hiring right and then may cause him NOT to gamble on an unproven coach.  Just my thoughts.....

I think Tuberville would come to Arkansas. I don't think it'd be a tough decision for him. It's his home state so it's a bit instinctive for him to want to be here. Plus, he is a confident guy and given that he would no longer have to fight the Tide for in-state recruits, he probably thinks he could keep all the players that Nutt loses to out-of-state programs. He'd come if he was asked.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

budcampbellfan

I don't really want Tuberville, although anyone would be better than nut.  But all you people that say if and where these coaches will and won't go are just blowing air.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

budcampbellfan

Quote from: hogsanity on October 02, 2007, 03:20:49 pm

1.  JFB WANTED TUBBERVILLE.  He runs the type of offense/defense that JFB loves. 

2.  Tubberville is just as good at messing up a great season as anyone.  I mean, check out last year, and this year for proof of that.
It's so rare for me to agree with Hogsanity, I just had to say so on this one.  I mean, he's even blown games to nut.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

IronHog

Quote from: budcampbellfan on October 02, 2007, 08:33:44 pm
Quote from: hogsanity on October 02, 2007, 03:20:49 pm

It's so rare for me to agree with Hogsanity, I just had to say so on this one.

Yea, Auburn constantly does the little things wrong, makes stupid mental mistakes, and implodes inside the 10 on offense.  TT is unable to deal with recruits or their parents, and sticks his freaking fingers in his mouth during games all while trying to make up excuses for the post game interview. <rant off>

Auburn is a well run, coached, and marketed program.  When there are problems they make changes to address said problems (see new OC, etc).  Why anyone would think otherwise is beyond me.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

pimpndistress

Tubberville would come to Arkansas if they asked him ( he is a Arkansas boy) He has talked about it before
:razorback:  FIRE JEFF LONG :razorback:
SMITE ME IF YOU LOVE  JEFF LONG [move]

WHITEPW

I think he would come and do well here.  I don't see why not.  Has won big games.  Something HDN can't do.

The Hawg Marshal

I just can't get past his comments when he was at Ole Miss. I know it was just coach talk but I've hated the guy ever since.

RedSatinHog

I wouldn't put it past TT to come to the Hill if he's offered, but I wouldn't put money on how long he'd stay.  He has a chip on his shoulder about how he was passed over the last time around, and you can sorta sense it when he does an interview and is asked about it.  I certainly got that feeling last year in the interview he did with Bo Mattingly just before the Auburn game.  Yeah, he said it was just part of the business, and he acted with total class while answering the questions, but you could tell he was still harboring some ill feelings over it.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: OldArmy94 on October 02, 2007, 05:54:19 pm
Among Aggie circles, we're hearing that Tuberville is headed to A&M next year.  There are mixed feelings about it, believe me, but it seems we're in the same boat as the Hogs.

We'll trade you Fran for Nutt.

GuitarBoy

Tuberville over Nutt yes...he just seems to have more class. However I really don't want Tuberville. He runs almost the same system we run here on offense. Run first/pass second. the thing that he often has had at Auburn though is a outstanding defense that has always kept his teams in games.

dman

I did not want the man 10 years ago, and sure do not want him today. He may be a good coach, but he looks like a weasel.  HDN was the right coach at the time, but his time has gone. 

biggiepiggie

Quote from: stevo98 on October 02, 2007, 04:24:40 pm
TT is 5-0 against top 10 and 9-1 against top 10

How does that compare to Nuttless?

TT is 5-0 against the top 5 and 9-1 against the top 10, I think you meant.
Anyway, TT says he will not come as long as Jim Lindsey is on the BOT.  He
thinks Jim knocked him out of the job originally.

Bacon The Saddle Again

Quote from: RT1941 on October 02, 2007, 02:18:14 pm
Why would Tubberville want to move from Auburn to Arkansas?  He would have to rebuild the entire team next year AND still play the same folks.  IMO, Tubbs is still trying to prove a point to the PTB at Auburn.  He wants them to know he's the boss and he will leave on his own terms.  If he survived Jet Gate, then I think he can call the shots on his departure.  

What positions are going to have to be rebuilt next year?  People are most concerned about the runningbacks we're losing, but I'm more than confident that D.J. Williams at fullback, Michael Smith, Brandon Barnett, Devin Thomas and Curtis can hold down the fort at RB next year.

We return most of our defensive line, most of our linebackers, lots of corners and safeties.  We've got lots of talented o-linemen.  Our recruiting class at WR is very, very good. 

I'm just curious as to what parts of the "entire team" are going to need rebuilding.

Salty Hog

I'd take Tommy over Dale any day...of course I'd take Gumby over Dale too!!
Fear The Hog!!!!

darth sooie

I'd say the hogs should trade houston nutt for the uhouston coach, think of the marketing nutt could do + the UH coach might be the best fit for the hogs. Yet, if the hogs can beat auburn 8-4 looks likely, so nuttroach probably will live another year. Lots of rumors:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=281220

MajorHog

thought this thread was for Tommy Bowden, not Tuberville.

made me think of Tommy Bowden's great quote: "My dream is to retire in ten years and go watch my dad coach football."

;-)
You will salute these Hog Clusters, Mister!

Hate'em?  Tell'em so!

www.HornHater.com - an official sponsor of Hogville.net