Started by mizzouman, September 22, 2007, 07:25:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcoots

Quote from: wdremington on September 23, 2007, 01:47:50 am
Quote from: TulsaHogFan on September 23, 2007, 01:46:38 am
Quote from: Lando Calrissian on September 23, 2007, 01:45:04 am
Quote from: KEYS on September 23, 2007, 01:41:48 am
NCAA Rule 11.7 deals with limitations on the number and duty of coaches

I agree, we are way under our limit for coaches.  In fact, I am having a hard time finding a coach on our entire team.

Ouch...

But Danny wasn't coaching!

...in the coaching booth.

...with a headset on.

...standing right behind the "offensive coordinator".

Thank god, otherwise we might be in trouble....
They have an iron-clad defense:

"Just look at the game film. Did it look like our team unfairly benefited from excessive coaching?"

orangewm

Opinions about football are interesting and make for great exchange - even if unfounded.  But the comments about Danny Nutt's health are completely out of bounds.  His life threatening medical condition has been well documented in the press (even Sports Illustrated).  Bleeding from the brain stem and having brain surgery is far more important than sports - and it doesn't end after the season.  He is scheduled to meet with doctors in early October to determine if there is any way to avoid another brain surgery - which of course, is very serious.

His condition causes daily dizziness and many other symptoms that prevent completing any kind of work day.  He is medically disabled by any definition.  His hearing loss is significant.  I have no idea about NCAA infractions or if he was "coaching" - but one reason he had on a headset was to HEAR (the PA announcements are completely garbled to him and trying to talk to him with stadium noise is impossible).

I am depressed about the loss last night and I hope for change.  But the comments about Danny's health are far more distrubing than the current state of Razorback football and should be sanctioned.

Scott E.

Having a coach who retired due to health reasons standing in the box with a headset on is out of bounds.  Sorry, but you're barking up the wrong tree(s) if you're looking for sympathy for Danny. 

Razors84

Quote from: KEYS on September 23, 2007, 09:10:38 am
Having a coach who retired due to health reasons standing in the box with a headset on is out of bounds.  Sorry, but you're barking up the wrong tree(s) if you're looking for sympathy for Danny. 
+1 True - it is not his health that is the issue here.

hoghearted

His current 'health issues' are a smokescreen. He has a chronic condition, and is in no way in any immediate danger.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

chortle

September 23, 2007, 09:17:09 am #155 Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 09:18:54 am by chortle
They even gave TP a headset...

Choctaw Hog

Someone also told me that as Danny was leaving last night he backed up over a curb and "almost hit" a young boy playing on the grass. It was also reported that he "tore out" of the area never even bothering to look around at all the commotion.  This was reported by someone I know very well and believe it to be true.  However, with that being said I'll give Danny the benefit of the doubt because he may not have realized that a child was behind his vehicle.  Nonetheless, I thought Danny was not supposed to be driving.

Razors84

Bigmac

Quote from: orangewm on September 23, 2007, 09:02:34 am
Opinions about football are interesting and make for great exchange - even if unfounded.  But the comments about Danny Nutt's health are completely out of bounds.  His life threatening medical condition has been well documented in the press (even Sports Illustrated).  Bleeding from the brain stem and having brain surgery is far more important than sports - and it doesn't end after the season.  He is scheduled to meet with doctors in early October to determine if there is any way to avoid another brain surgery - which of course, is very serious.

His condition causes daily dizziness and many other symptoms that prevent completing any kind of work day.  He is medically disabled by any definition.  His hearing loss is significant.  I have no idea about NCAA infractions or if he was "coaching" - but one reason he had on a headset was to HEAR (the PA announcements are completely garbled to him and trying to talk to him with stadium noise is impossible).

I am depressed about the loss last night and I hope for change.  But the comments about Danny's health are far more distrubing than the current state of Razorback football and should be sanctioned.

Then why is he there. If he has communication problems then he should not be in the coaches booth wearing a headset. I'm sure he has medical problems and I for one has always been a fan of Danny but he has no right to be in the coaches booth with a head set on. Do the Nutts not realize this will be seen and rightly questioned?

PulledPork

Opinions about football are interesting and make for great exchange - even if unfounded.  But the comments about Danny Nutt's health are completely out of bounds.  His life threatening medical condition has been well documented in the press (even Sports Illustrated).  Bleeding from the brain stem and having brain surgery is far more important than sports - and it doesn't end after the season.  He is scheduled to meet with doctors in early October to determine if there is any way to avoid another brain surgery - which of course, is very serious.

His condition causes daily dizziness and many other symptoms that prevent completing any kind of work day.  He is medically disabled by any definition.  His hearing loss is significant.  I have no idea about NCAA infractions or if he was "coaching" - but one reason he had on a headset was to HEAR (the PA announcements are completely garbled to him and trying to talk to him with stadium noise is impossible).

I am depressed about the loss last night and I hope for change.  But the comments about Danny's health are far more distrubing than the current state of Razorback football and should be sanctioned.
he can do what I do then, sit in front of a tv and watch the game with closed captions!

Pulled out....

RazorNick

Knowing Nutt, he probably realizes this is his last year, either voluntarily or forced out, so he is doing anything he can to sabotage this program. Try to convince me he wouldn't stoop that low.

rhinohog

???ncaa max number of coaches- this is unbelievable!

mvpiglet

Quote from: chortle on September 23, 2007, 09:17:09 am
They even gave TP a headset...

Oh, it is TP? ........And I thought it was just the fat lady singing........

Razors84

In seriousness -if this is against the rules, and it appears that it is, what are the probable consequences for an infraction of this type?

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: Razors84 on September 23, 2007, 09:40:46 am
In seriousness -if this is against the rules, and it appears that it is, what are the probable consequences for an infraction of this type?

Probation and a 5 year contract extension for Nutt.

Razors84

Quote from: ThisLittlePiggie on September 23, 2007, 09:47:09 am
Quote from: Razors84 on September 23, 2007, 09:40:46 am

Probation and a 5 year contract extension for Nutt.

I was hoping more along the lines of a large fine and 4 game suspension of the head coach.
(we can all dream!)

HoggieStyle

I realize we will never know, but I wonder how Tim Horton feels about this...

Porkatarian

Quote from: whitecohogg on September 22, 2007, 07:42:16 pm
That "faking being sick" comment warrants a ban. Danny Nutt has serious problems and he doesn't need a$$holes on here making fun!!

Perhaps you should worry more about the "posse" and their loose lips.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Porkatarian

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on September 23, 2007, 09:25:00 am
Someone also told me that as Danny was leaving last night he backed up over a curb and "almost hit" a young boy playing on the grass. It was also reported that he "tore out" of the area never even bothering to look around at all the commotion.  This was reported by someone I know very well and believe it to be true.  However, with that being said I'll give Danny the benefit of the doubt because he may not have realized that a child was behind his vehicle.  Nonetheless, I thought Danny was not supposed to be driving.

He's also not supposed to coaching either.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Hogphilia

Quote from: jblack19 on September 23, 2007, 12:44:49 am
Quote from: swisshog on September 23, 2007, 12:12:45 am
That "faking being sick" comment warrants a ban. Danny Nutt has serious problems and he doesn't need a$$holes on here making fun!!

shut yer pie hole nutt lover!

I agree, definately deserves a ban. So does that last comment. But it wont happen.

Instead of being so animated about your heroes' feelings being hurt, how about being concerned about our Head Coach lying and cheating?

blue

Quote from: Porkatarian on September 23, 2007, 10:04:27 am
Quote from: Choctaw Hog on September 23, 2007, 09:25:00 am

He's also not supposed to coaching either.

Porkatarian out...
Of course, they can all deny that.

Pig_Lebowski

Danny was just listening to an old 70's disco 8-track, and scouted the stadium for some "fweaks".

cpaman12345

So why exactly is a deaf man wearing a headset????

Just Curious

Hogphilia

Look hugger, none of us wish ill health on DNutt....That being said, football is a business and we all have obstacles to deal with....I have a heart condition, my mother died from a brain cancer called a glycoblastoma, etc, etc....We all have to deal with our personal obstacles....

There is NO EXCUSE for the Nutts to violate NCAA rules or even violate convention....I don't remember turning over the Razorback Football program over to the Nutt family to do with it what they want to....But they think that way....That is our big problem.....Dianna, Shari, Teresa, Danny, and Abner all think that the program BELONGS TO THE NUTT FAMILY and they will do with it whatever they want.

Silver Hog

Danny should be nowhere near the team, he quit as far as I can remember.

Scott E.

Quote from: Hogphilia on September 23, 2007, 10:18:53 am

Look hugger, none of us wish ill health on DNutt....That being said, football is a business and we all have obstacles to deal with....I have a heart condition, my mother died from a brain cancer called a glycoblastoma, etc, etc....We all have to deal with our personal obstacles....

There is NO EXCUSE for the Nutts to violate NCAA rules or even violate convention....I don't remember turning over the Razorback Football program over to the Nutt family to do with it what they want to....But they think that way....That is our big problem.....Dianna, Shari, Teresa, Danny, and Abner all think that the program BELONGS TO THE NUTT FAMILY and they will do with it whatever they want.

I think the poster you reference is more than a "hugger"... the word "messenger" comes to mind.

hoghearted

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

blue

If danny's condition is that serious, he should not have even been at the game. I doubt that he was getting the PA through his headset. I can understand that people have problems and I won't take shots at them because of it. With all do respect, your post is BS. If he is not a coach, he should not be in the way.

HAWGTROT

This is the best reality TV show / soap opra going. To bad it's at the expense of the Hogs nation looking like baffoons.

Anon2

This may have been brought out in the thread but wouldn't he need a microphone to talk to anyone on the sideline like the coach in front of him.  Not taking up for the Nutts, but looks like he is just listening to what's going on among the coaches.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: Anon2 on September 23, 2007, 11:06:56 am
This may have been brought out in the thread but wouldn't he need a microphone to talk to anyone on the sideline like the coach in front of him.  Not taking up for the Nutts, but looks like he is just listening to what's going on among the coaches.

He does have a microphone.  Look at his left ear (top right corner from our perspective).
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

FAABrad

September 23, 2007, 11:18:49 am #182 Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 11:29:15 am by FAABrad
Quote from: Anon2 on September 23, 2007, 11:06:56 am

Even if just listening why would someone who is no longer a coach need to be listening in the first place?

edit:  fixed typo

Pecos Hog

By risking NCAA probation, this is more proof that the Nutts care only for themselves - and care nothing for OUR football program.    

woghild

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on September 23, 2007, 11:37:54 am
Quote from: samske on September 22, 2007, 11:33:49 pm
Something about NCAA Bylaw 11.7.2

This has lead me to this...

http://www.ncaa.org/library/membership/division_i_manual/2007-08/2007-08_d1_manual.pdf

I'm sniffing around it now...stay tuned.

*Update* it basically says that any off-field or on-field activity related to instructing, evaluating film, etc counts as a coach.  This is loosy-goosy wording and could probably be argued by a good attorney.  It doesn't specifically exclude anyone from simply having a headset and listening. 

11.7.1.1.1 Countable Coach. An athletics department staff member must count against coaching limits
as soon as the individual participates (in any manner) in the coaching of the intercollegiate team in
practice, games or organized activities directly related to that sport, including any organized staff activity
directly related to the sport.

11.7.2 Bowl Subdivision Football. [FBS] There shall be a limit of one head coach, nine assistant coaches
and two graduate assistant coaches who may be employed by an institution in bowl subdivision football.

samske, thanks for finding the bylaw.

And for those who think Danny is standing idly by, you need to know that there have been other statements made that Danny is indeed very involved.  I encourage our state's reporters to stick a microphone in the face of Tim Horton, DMac and Felix and ask them if they didn't get any coaching advice during halftime of the Troy game.

Danny may be sick, I'm not going to attack that, but if what I've heard is true he has indeed been helping this team in a coaching capacity, a direct violation of NCAA rules. 

Bacon out...

Bacon we need your full usual take on the game!

So, is anyone here going to the NCAA with this information for the to determine is DN was "coaching".  If he was going anything other than spectating at any game this year it is beyond doubt a violation.

HogFanInTulsa

do not know if this has been posted. But I did a little look into the NCAA Rules and Bylaw book via their website at www.ncaa.org. So far I have come across this, dont know if it makes sense or is any help.

11.7.2 Bowl Subdivision Football. [FBS] There shall be a limit of one head coach, nine assistant coaches
and two graduate assistant coaches who may be employed by an institution in bowl subdivision football. (Revised:
1/10/91, 1/10/92 effective 8/1/92, 12/15/06

11.7.2.1 Exceptions to Number Limits. [FBS] No individual other than coaches designated to fill the
coaching categories set forth in Bylaw 11.7.2 may participate in any manner in the coaching of the intercollegiate
team of a member institution during any football game, practice or other organized activity, with the
following exceptions:
11.7.2.1.1 Weight or Strength Coach. [FBS] A weight (strength and conditioning) coach may conduct
flexibility, warm-up and physical conditioning activities prior to any game and prior to or during any
practice or other organized activities without being included in the limitations on number of coaches.
11.7.2.1.2 Undergraduate Coach. [FBS] The limits on the number of coaches in this section do not
apply to undergraduate coaches (see Bylaw 11.01.4). (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/92)
11.7.2.1.3 Sprint Football. [FBS] The limits on the number of coaches in this section do not apply to
sprint football programs. Sprint football coaches are prohibited from off-campus recruiting.
11.7.2.1.4 Additional Coaches—National Service Academies. [FBS] National service academies
may employ four additional coaches. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/92, 1/12/04 effective 8/1/04, 8/23/05)
11.7.2.1.5 Special Attrition Provision. [FBS] The institution is permitted to meet these limitations
through normal attrition only if the institution had in effect prior to September 15, 1990, a written ob

HogFanInTulsa

by the way if you all want to download the rule book just go to www.ncaa.org and click on the link for Legistration and Governance. then rules and bylaws. Can anyone list our coaches?

HogFanInTulsa

Houston Nutt 
Head Coach 

Reggie Herring 
Defensive Coordinator / Linebackers 

Bobby Allen 
Assistant Coach - Cornerbacks 

Tim Horton 
Assistant Coach - Running Backs 

Mike Markuson 
Offensive Line - Running Game Coordinator 

Tracy Rocker 
Assistant Coach - Defensive Line 

James Shibest 
Assistant Coach - Tight Ends / Special Teams 

Alex Wood 
Assistant Coach - Wide Receivers 

Jeff Norrid 
Graduate Assistant Coach 

Courtney Sanders 
Graduate Assistant Coach 

David Lee 
Offensive Coordinator - Quarterbacks 

Chris Vaughn 
Recruiting Coordinator - Assistant Coach - Safeties 

HogFanInTulsa

Not a rocket scientist, but that all adds up to 1 head coach, 9 assistant coaches, and 2 grad assistant coaches. So why is Danny Nutt in the box wearing a headset?

Jim Harris

Quote from: WILL CLINTON on September 22, 2007, 09:57:03 pm
Quote from: KEYS on September 22, 2007, 09:52:48 pm
It IS a major infraction.  Now we wait for the fallout. 

Ok, I believe you, but can you tell me why??  Why would the NCAA care how many coaches you have on your staff, or people with headsets on, in the booth, or on the field?

Because THEY HAVE PUT LIMITS ON HOW MANY FULL-TIME COACHES AND GA'S YOU CAN HAVE. Iit's to keep the big schools from loading up on coaches as opposed to the smaller schools without the money. Nutt's tried to find all kinds of ways to keep guys around, like Ealy and Vaughn, etc.
Sorry for my earlier "screaming."
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

sharks89

I agree,.. IF we also ban those who are oblivious to LOGIC.

Go Hogs!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

jblack19

Quote from: PulledPork on September 23, 2007, 08:27:21 am

I agree, definately deserves a ban. So does that last comment. But it wont happen.
who cares what you think...he wasn't sick and you huggers swallowed the hook!

Pulled out...
The feelings mutual. Go pull his medical records and prove he is lieing. False accusations is all I see from you and MANY others in here.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: jblack19 on September 23, 2007, 01:58:08 pm

Pulled out...
The feelings mutual. Go pull his medical records and prove he is lieing. False accusations is all I see from you and MANY others in here.

So WHY is he suddenly back coaching?
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Hogs-n-Roses

Ouch! Just off the road from the game and this is the first thing I see. As if I wasn't mad enough.

Scott E.

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on September 23, 2007, 02:02:14 pm
So WHY is he suddenly back coaching?

Maybe someone bought him a bottle of that Mona Vie juice.  Someone needs to find out what the miracle remedy was because I want it!  Anything that can elevate a man from his death bed to standing with a headset during a 4+ hour game is something I'd like to keep in the medicine cabinet.

jblack19

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on September 23, 2007, 01:59:56 pm

Pulled out...

Who's lying?  The coach who says he has to get away from coaching because of his health and is seen in the locker room coaching at halftimes and in the booth by ESPN2 or the person who points out that this has happened?

You guys say he is lieing about his health. Prove it. I saw him in the booth.

hirebutchdavis

Is that Theresa Pruitt between Danny and David Lee?

jblack19

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on September 23, 2007, 02:22:59 pm
Quote from: jblack19 on September 23, 2007, 02:19:17 pm
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on September 23, 2007, 01:59:56 pm

Pulled out...

Who's lying?  The coach who says he has to get away from coaching because of his health and is seen in the locker room coaching at halftimes and in the booth by ESPN2 or the person who points out that this has happened?

You guys say he is lieing about his health. Prove it. I saw him in the booth.

If there's logic hidden away in that statement I don't get it.

Bacon out...

Then you are as stupid as I thought you were. Ill go slower for you...

P U L L  H I S  M E D I C A L  R E C O R D S.  Compare the dates. When he resigned, scheduled appointments, Doctor comments on his health, etc. Then and only then will you know the truth. Understand it now? People with illnesses do get better and then suffer setbacks. Cancer is one disease that works that way if you were not aware. That is exactely what happened to two of my family members.