Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sam McGuffie

Started by Puerco Diablo, April 24, 2007, 10:32:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgballz

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on June 08, 2007, 05:26:08 pm
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=162&p=8&c=1&nid=2750610

We're not on his list from Scout, maybe we just got in contact with him?

Scout is well behind, we were looking at this kid last summer (before his junior season) and we have been recruiting him for a while.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

Puerco Diablo

Quote from: HawgBall06 on June 08, 2007, 05:53:19 pm

Scout is well behind, we were looking at this kid last summer (before his junior season) and we have been recruiting him for a while.

He goes to school in Shibest's backyard where he grew up.  I gotta think he is down their working it.

jpenrod1

He has great side to side speed. he looks small. I think he would be a great felix replacement but not a good up the middle back, but them again if Michel smith can do it anyone can(as far as size is concerned).

VenturaHog

Quote from: jpenrod1 on June 09, 2007, 03:24:44 am
He has great side to side speed. he looks small. I think he would be a great felix replacement but not a good up the middle back, but them again if Michel smith can do it anyone can(as far as size is concerned).

He is in high school for one, he will get bigger. You don't need to be tall to be a good RB, just look at current backs ladanian tomlinson or maurice jones drew, or back to barry sanders etc. This kid is 6'0, plenty tall. He is fast north/south too, 4.35 or so i would guess. His style does seem to be more suited for open space but he runs it up the gut pretty good too on those highlights, he can break an arm tackle pretty easy looks like. He's an incredible athelete, I don't want to get my hopes up on a kid that has 30+ offers.

Hogstocking

June 09, 2007, 06:46:17 am #54 Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 07:25:57 am by Hogstocking

In 2002 Fred Talley rushed for 1119 yards.  Soaking wet Talley weighed no more than 175 pounds, and was listed as 5'9. McGuffie is considerably bigger and a helluva lot faster than Talley.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Hogstocking on June 09, 2007, 06:46:17 am

In 2002 Fred Talley rushed for 1119 yards.  Soaking wet Talley weighed no more than 175 pounds, and was listed as 5'9. McGuffie is considerably bigger and a helluva lot faster than Talley.

I wouldn't say a hell of a lot faster Hogstocking.....Fred Talley was the 2nd fastest guy on the team when he was here behind only Ahmad Carroll.   Yes faster than Cedric Cobbs & Matt Jones.   The first 40 yds he was the fastest but Ahmad Carroll would hit another gear and catch him before they hit the 100 yard mark.  I still hate that I missed the Auburn game 241 freaking yds!!!  :o :o
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hogstocking

June 09, 2007, 07:57:44 am #56 Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 08:26:11 am by Hogstocking
Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on June 09, 2007, 07:53:30 am
Quote from: Hogstocking on June 09, 2007, 06:46:17 am

I wouldn't say a hell of a lot faster Hogstocking.....Fred Talley was the 2nd fastest guy on the team when he was here behind only Ahmad Carroll.   Yes faster than Cedric Cobbs & Matt Jones.   The first 40 yds he was the fastest but Ahmad Carroll would hit another gear and catch him before they hit the 100 yard mark.  I still hate that I missed the Auburn game 241 freaking yds!!!  :o :o

I always thought Talley was a 4.4 guy...On rivals McGuffie is listed as 4.32

I've searched and searched for Talley's 40 and this is the only thing I could find.  He is faster than what I orginally thought.  This site lists him with a 4.37 40 from his pro day  http://www.ffmastermind.com/2003/premium/madness/prodayresults.html

The_Bionic_Pig

Rivals had Talley as a 4.29 - 4.3 guy coming out of High School.   McGuffie does have a lot more potential simply due to his size though.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

thahawg

How could rivals leave him out of the top 100?

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: thahawg on June 09, 2007, 12:30:59 pm

Glad they did because once you get that kind of recognition everyone comes a calling (even the one's who haven't even bothered to see any film)  That less competition for Arkansas.   DeAnthony Curtis (Instate Guy)  was the closest to cracking the top 100 according to Rivals.  Bet your glad he hasn't sent in any film  ;)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Realist

he just mentioned us first in his list of favorites in latest rivals article

COCHISE

Quote from: Puerco Diablo on June 08, 2007, 10:43:43 pm
Quote from: HawgBall06 on June 08, 2007, 05:53:19 pm

He goes to school in Shibest's backyard where he grew up.  I gotta think he is down their working it.
I would think D. Lee is also working his connections down there, someone from the Cowboys staff should have some influence on a Texas kid.

Break & Run

we need him to run the wishbone with Smith and Barnett.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

VenturaHog

Quote from: hog_fan_08 on June 09, 2007, 03:17:47 pm
we need him to run the wishbone with Smith and Barnett.

Ugh, that post actually made me excited for a second, then I looked at a calender. Nutt, what are you doing to me??

Hogstocking

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on June 09, 2007, 12:37:55 pm
Quote from: thahawg on June 09, 2007, 12:30:59 pm

Glad they did because once you get that kind of recognition everyone comes a calling (even the one's who haven't even bothered to see any film)  That less competition for Arkansas.   DeAnthony Curtis (Instate Guy)  was the closest to cracking the top 100 according to Rivals.  Bet your glad he hasn't sent in any film  ;)

I guess it was only a matter of time before he did.  Rivals now has video of Curtis on their front page.

Now that he has video, I fully expect his list of offers to double soon.

HogNuttz

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on April 25, 2007, 10:54:21 am
Quote from: southern hawg on April 25, 2007, 09:18:20 am
Dare I say this kid reminds me of DMAC (running syle-wise).  He looks to be at full speed after about his third step and just blows by defenders that have the apparent angle on him.  Does anyone else see it?

He has the same blast that D-Mac has and is more athletic, but he does not have the physicality that D-Mac has.  Sam McGuffie has rarely been touched, so his ability to take a big shot will be questioned. 

His style reminds me somewhat of Jones.  Shifty enough that a big shot hardly happens.  You can't tackle what you can't catch.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

TMc

He better quit trying to hurdle everyone if he comes here and plays in the SEC.., they will break his neck.

jackflash

If Darren has a great year getting a RB will not be hard, it may not be this kid, I think he will gives a hard look, because we run the ball, sometime there is plus about running the football, some will say it we can show him

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: TMc on June 23, 2007, 06:43:21 am
He better quit trying to hurdle everyone if he comes here and plays in the SEC.., they will break his neck.

He only tried that a couple of times in the videos, and I am sure he knew when he could pull that move off.  I am sure he knows that he will not be able to do that on the next level.  I still think that Arkansas should make Curtis the number 1 option, because I think McGuffie ends up elsewhere. 

jpenrod1

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on June 23, 2007, 05:38:01 pm

He only tried that a couple of times in the videos, and I am sure he knew when he could pull that move off.  I am sure he knows that he will not be able to do that on the next level.  I still think that Arkansas should make Curtis the number 1 option, because I think McGuffie ends up elsewhere. 

I dont think you look past McGuffie. I think we have a shot at him and should try our best untill we know otherwise. he is to good.

ConwayHog

Quote from: Tomcat on April 25, 2007, 11:32:16 am
Quote from: Puerco Diablo on April 25, 2007, 09:02:38 am
Quote from: Tomcat on April 25, 2007, 07:37:08 am
Cy-Fair?  My old school.  I don't hear about the Bobcats very often anymore.  Was down there just a few weeks ago surveying my old homestead and buying a car.  NW Houston has really, really grown.  The road I used to ride my bike on to Safeway is now a four lane divided highway.  The building was still there, just called Food World now...

Stewie is right, there is a lot of talent in state.  More so on the offensive side than the defensive, however.  Though there will be fewer Div. I signees this next year than last year, the SEC level talent is deeper...

I went to Kingwood High.  I don't go back often but I don't even recognize FM 1960 anymore.  I spent alot of time over in the spring-cypress area when I was growing up.  The girls were cuter and wilder.

I only recognized a handful of places on FM1960.  There is nothing the same around there anymore...

I'm not native to Houston but was on FM1960 in May.  There is a lot of development on that road.  I have no idea how long that highway goes through the area.

TMc

Wu Tang I agree with you about Curtis.., I would go after him hard as my #1 back.. , but getting back to McGuffie.. I have seen 5-6 videos of the kid.., and he does like to hurdle people.  I'm not saying I wouldn't love to have him.., I just know the SEC scouts tendencies so hard - I don't want to see him get hurt.

jujuharshawismydog

The kid looks pretty good to me...

Oh and by the way with regards to the Batman vs. Talley debate. Tom Crowder outran both of them. Batman himself admitted it.
Suspended for the 1990 Cotton Bowl...The downfall of the program?

Tomhog™

Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on June 24, 2007, 12:20:47 am
Cy-Fair?  My old school.  I don't hear about the Bobcats very often anymore.  Was down there just a few weeks ago surveying my old homestead and buying a car.  NW Houston has really, really grown.  The road I used to ride my bike on to Safeway is now a four lane divided highway.  The building was still there, just called Food World now...

Stewie is right, there is a lot of talent in state.  More so on the offensive side than the defensive, however.  Though there will be fewer Div. I signees this next year than last year, the SEC level talent is deeper...

I went to Kingwood High.  I don't go back often but I don't even recognize FM 1960 anymore.  I spent alot of time over in the spring-cypress area when I was growing up.  The girls were cuter and wilder.

I only recognized a handful of places on FM1960.  There is nothing the same around there anymore...

I'm not native to Houston but was on FM1960 in May.  There is a lot of development on that road.  I have no idea how long that highway goes through the area.

It takes a VERY long time to negotiate it.  Especially during traffic-heavy times.  I remember it as a kid being mostly a country road.  It's just ridiculous how things have changed.

Tomhog™

Sam is just the type of Back that Nutt loves.  He is a rare combination of power and finesse.  He's also capable of catching the ball.  All-purpose backs is just what Nutt and company goes for.  He reminds me of Reggie Bush in some respects.

Foshodo

Jesus... 3:40 mark, 4:10 mark and 4:50 mark all made me just giggle
this kid is insane... the balance he has to keep himself up... it makes it look like he's using the force from a supposed to be tackle to guide him to the new direction he runs

southeasthog

Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on June 24, 2007, 12:20:47 am

One of the best things about FM1960, It has one of the best HOOTERS around. I've been to a bunch, but that one is the top.

HogNuttz

It's not like he his hurdling linemen and LB's, although I don't think that move will be as successful in college.

Quote from: Foshodo on June 24, 2007, 02:13:06 pm
Jesus... 3:40 mark, 4:10 mark and 4:50 mark all made me just giggle
this kid is insane... the balance he has to keep himself up... it makes it look like he's using the force from a supposed to be tackle to guide him to the new direction he runs

I believe there is a move around the 2:00 mark that is completely sick.  It looks as though he is going to get gang tackled by 3 men in the backfield and then he escapes, hardly even touched let alone tackled.  The move doesn't look all that great on film for an SEC caliber back playing in high school, but we you consider the vision (which no one can coach) he had to have it makes the move seem that much better.  I agree we need to get Curtis but I would like them both.  With the vision and cuts he demonstrates, this guy could turn out to be one hell of a punt returner.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

1longshot

edt

Sam is the best high school back I have ever seen on tape. He should be our number one priority.

yraciv

guy is on ESPN 2 tonight! I know he is a Michigan commit, which is my 2nd favorite team, so I'm checking in, hoping to see the famous hurdle.

COCHISE

Quote from: yraciv on October 18, 2007, 07:16:40 pm
guy is on ESPN 2 tonight! I know he is a Michigan commit, which is my 2nd favorite team, so I'm checking in, hoping to see the famous hurdle.
After watching Devin Thomas a couple times on tv and now McGuffie, I'm not sure we didn't get the better of the two backs.

ballhogger14u

lets see he wants to go to usc, lsu,mich, pennst,ucla cal,fsu, hell he wants to go to every school in the u. s. why even bother with someone like that

tophawg19

not looking so good tonight . could be more hype than substance . the other teams back looks better .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

VenturaHog

Quote from: 870 RZR on October 18, 2007, 08:24:13 pm
Quote from: yraciv on October 18, 2007, 07:16:40 pm
After watching Devin Thomas a couple times on tv and now McGuffie, I'm not sure we didn't get the better of the two backs.

This seems like kind of a foolish thing to say but I think it's true, especially for a power running team. Devin thomas is so much better than anyone expected him to be.

ballhogger14u

mcguffie is playing on espn2 right now , they say he is committed to Mich. guess he wants to be the first white all american running back or whatever Carr promised him.  with this kid who knows he will probably commit to 15 different schools

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: ballhogger14u on October 18, 2007, 09:42:38 pm
mcguffie is playing on espn2 right now , they say he is committed to Mich. guess he wants to be the first white all american running back or whatever Carr promised him.  with this kid who knows he will probably commit to 15 different schools

I think Les Miles will proabably be his coach if he stays with his verbal to Michigan.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on June 03, 2007, 03:13:23 pm
Quote from: uglyuncle on May 20, 2007, 07:48:39 pm
Quote from: AnthroHog on May 20, 2007, 07:26:17 pm
Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on May 20, 2007, 02:18:01 pm
If we secure the committment of the best in-state RB talent and a Florida RB (which in my opinion is better) we will be in better shape.

De'Anthony Curtis
Dennis Johnson

To go along with Juwan Franklin, Brandon Barnett, Michael Harris.

After looking at all the player's stats, they're all studs.  Anyone know the chances of us getting Thomas, McGuffie, Curtis, or Johnson?

Does anyone know for certain that Brandon Barnett and Juwan Franklin have qualified? 

Is the Bobo kid from Atkins on this level?  I haven't heard his name in a while.  Anyone know what is going on with him?

I get the feeling that DeAnthony Curtis will be our next RB committ.   This will pretty much mean that unless your an elite RB who is being nationally recruited their will be no more offers.

thought Curtis was already a verbal commit.  although I wouldn't expect many of the verbals to stick with it as long as hdn is around...
Let's make some waves.

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: edt on June 25, 2007, 10:21:29 pm
Sam is the best high school back I have ever seen on tape. He should be our number one priority.

You must have never seen Reggie Bush on tape. 

Hawgballz

Quote from: ballhogger14u on October 18, 2007, 09:42:38 pm

McGuffie has quite a bit of family in Michigan.

Hawgballz

Quote from: hogfanintx on October 18, 2007, 09:52:42 pm
If we secure the committment of the best in-state RB talent and a Florida RB (which in my opinion is better) we will be in better shape.

De'Anthony Curtis
Dennis Johnson

After looking at all the player's stats, they're all studs.  Anyone know the chances of us getting Thomas, McGuffie, Curtis, or Johnson?

Does anyone know for certain that Brandon Barnett and Juwan Franklin have qualified? 

Is the Bobo kid from Atkins on this level?  I haven't heard his name in a while.  Anyone know what is going on with him?

I get the feeling that DeAnthony Curtis will be our next RB committ.   This will pretty much mean that unless your an elite RB who is being nationally recruited their will be no more offers.

thought Curtis was already a verbal commit.  although I wouldn't expect many of the verbals to stick with it as long as hdn is around...

Check out the date of the quote you are responding to and I would expect over 80% of the verbal commits to stay committed no matter who the coach is.

yraciv

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 18, 2007, 09:11:06 pm
not looking so good tonight . could be more hype than substance . the other teams back looks better .

Take into account he hasn't played much this season, and the announcers kept saying he was playing around 85%.  Definately didn't appear to be able to make the cuts, that I had seen in his videos, so I'm sticking w/ he is injured.

Quote from: Hawgballz on October 18, 2007, 11:17:09 pm

De'Anthony Curtis
Dennis Johnson

Check out the date of the quote you are responding to and I would expect over 80% of the verbal commits to stay committed no matter who the coach is.

Yeppers was a pretty old quote.  You think 80% will stick?  Sure hope you are right we need them all.  lol....Can any of them throw?  and I don't wanna hear about PIck or Youngblood.  I have seen the film and sooooo not impressed.
Let's make some waves.

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: hogfanintx on October 19, 2007, 09:01:54 am
Quote from: Hawgballz on October 18, 2007, 11:17:09 pm

De'Anthony Curtis
Dennis Johnson

Yeppers was a pretty old quote.  You think 80% will stick?  Sure hope you are right we need them all.  lol....Can any of them throw?  and I don't wanna hear about PIck or Youngblood.  I have seen the film and sooooo not impressed.

Like you really saw something in the film that shows they can not throw the ball.  For the record no one cares what you want to hear.  I am sure you have developed quite a few quaterbacks. 

Actually I did see plenty on the film to question.  youngblood was off.  Showed no touch.  Mechanics were not sound.  As for Pick he looked decent until I saw all the passes he was completing over db's that were about 5'6"  then checking the rosters of most of their comp.  Most teams did have db's between 5'6" and 5'8".  The average size of the d-lineman they were up against was about 205 lbs.  They appeared to be playing against jv teams.   Now he may just be marvelous, but considering who offered him besides us I am not so sure.  Our coaching staff has proven to have no eye for talent as far as qb's go, they can't develope them once they get them here, and most passing qb's will no longer even consider the hogs.   

Lets see we also heard on and on and on about the QB steal we got in Joe Chaison.  Now I couldvery well be wrong, but wasn't he immediately switched over to another position?   No longer working at QB I don't believe.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Let's make some waves.

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: hogfanintx on October 19, 2007, 11:32:08 am
Actually I did see plenty on the film to question.  youngblood was off.  Showed no touch.  Mechanics were not sound.  As for Pick he looked decent until I saw all the passes he was completing over db's that were about 5'6"  then checking the rosters of most of their comp.  Most teams did have db's between 5'6" and 5'8".  The average size of the d-lineman they were up against was about 205 lbs.  They appeared to be playing against jv teams.   Now he may just be marvelous, but considering who offered him besides us I am not so sure.  Our coaching staff has proven to have no eye for talent as far as qb's go, they can't develope them once they get them here, and most passing qb's will no longer even consider the hogs.  

Lets see we also heard on and on and on about the QB steal we got in Joe Chaison.  Now I couldvery well be wrong, but wasn't he immediately switched over to another position?   No longer working at QB I don't believe.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

You got all that from highlight film and in Youngbllood's situation bad highlight film.  Most teams in high scool football have small defensive backs and it is the job of the reciever to go up and get the ball.  Youngblood has a lot of room for development but arm strength and athleticism is not a question.  How many offers did the quaterback at South Florida have again.  What the hell does Houston Nutt's blatant inability to develop quaterbacks have to do with what you saw on the film.  The answer is nothing. 

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on October 19, 2007, 11:43:20 am
Actually I did see plenty on the film to question.  youngblood was off.  Showed no touch.  Mechanics were not sound.  As for Pick he looked decent until I saw all the passes he was completing over db's that were about 5'6"  then checking the rosters of most of their comp.  Most teams did have db's between 5'6" and 5'8".  The average size of the d-lineman they were up against was about 205 lbs.  They appeared to be playing against jv teams.   Now he may just be marvelous, but considering who offered him besides us I am not so sure.  Our coaching staff has proven to have no eye for talent as far as qb's go, they can't develope them once they get them here, and most passing qb's will no longer even consider the hogs.  

Lets see we also heard on and on and on about the QB steal we got in Joe Chaison.  Now I couldvery well be wrong, but wasn't he immediately switched over to another position?   No longer working at QB I don't believe.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

You got all that from highlight film and in Youngbllood's situation bad highlight film.  Most teams in high scool football have small defensive backs and it is the job of the reciever to go up and get the ball.  Youngblood has a lot of room for development but arm strength and athleticism is not a question.  How many offers did the quaterback at South Florida have again.  What the hell does Houston Nutt's blatant inability to develop quaterbacks have to do with what you saw on the film.  The answer is nothing. 

ummmm Most highschools have small db's????????????  where are you watching football?  Pea Ridge?
Let's make some waves.

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: hogfanintx on October 19, 2007, 11:48:03 am

ummmm Most highschools have small db's????????????  where are you watching football?  Pea Ridge?

Either they are small or they are slow in high school football specially in states such as Kansas and Arkansas.  I don't know what the hell a Pea Ridge is.

RZRBack_FAN

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on October 20, 2007, 01:19:44 am
Quote from: hogfanintx on October 19, 2007, 11:48:03 am

Either they are small or they are slow in high school football specially in states such as Kansas and Arkansas.  I don't know what the hell a Pea Ridge is.
We have been through this 10 years now. you actuall think Nutt is gonna bring in a Qb that can pass? You are Blind my friend!