GBPackerFan

Quote from: James K. Pork on February 27, 2007, 04:27:14 pm
Quote from: GBPackerFan on February 27, 2007, 02:09:10 pm
Quote from: James K. Pork on February 27, 2007, 01:33:16 pm
Quote from: GBPackerFan on February 27, 2007, 01:21:02 pm
Quote from: Hawgasaurus on February 27, 2007, 01:03:48 pm
Quote from: GBPackerFan on February 27, 2007, 12:59:04 pm
Quote from: Quagmire of Hogs on February 27, 2007, 07:59:37 am
Did I hear C Dick and big game used in the same sentence? Laughable.
Just like if you heard Mustain and big game in the same sentence.
undefeated as a starter, beat Auburn and 'Bama. How did Dick finish the season for us???
And how many "big games" did Mustain have for us?  Let's look at the games where you claim he had "big game."  In the Auburn game (87 yards) and 'Bama game (97 yards), he didn't even break 100 yards in passing.  In the 8 games that he started, he only broke 100 yards three times: Utah State (119 yards), Vanderbilt (224 yards), and Ole Miss (157 yards).  He only threw for 51 yards against SE Missouri St. and 71 yards against Louisiana Monroe!  Now come on!  Tell me how he had "big games" for us.  Please!

Name one game Casey Dick won for Arkansas last year.  I can name two we wouldn't have won without Mustain's ability.

This is a 7-6 football team without Mustain.  We don't beat Alabama (97 yards, but the last pass was a clutch throw that won the game.).  We don't beat Vanderbilt. 

If you are going to burn a blue chipper's redshirt season, then you might as well play him throughout the season.  You don't send him off to Siberia.  You keep working with him, allowing him to make mistakes, and teaching him to improve off of that game experience.

Meyer still has Tebow.  Richt still has Stafford.  Both will be absolute monsters in this conference because their head coaches displayed patience in their development.

We had a kid with their talent, but this head coach couldn't develop a quarterback if you gave him a clone of Peyton Manning with Steve Spurrier as a quarterbacks coach to help out.

What are we left with?  A junior lacking accuracy, arm strength, and ability to look off his first option in the pass.

7-6 team is absolutely ridiculous.  I will give you the point that maybe Nutt should have just stuck with Mustain for the rest of the season and looked towards the future with him, but Mustain did not have as big of an impact as you are implying.  If you can tell me how we would have been a 7-6 team w/o Mustain, then I would love to hear it. 

Certainly.

Alabama:

Mustain hit Cleveland with an Alabama defender in close coverage during the overtime period.  The pass required touch and nerve to complete.  Say what you want about Mustain, but there were moments during the season when he showed his potential.  That pass in a clutch moment was one of them.  We didn't have another quarterback on campus who could make that play.  We don't have one now.

Vanderbilt:

If we play this game with our other available options as a starter, then we lose.  Mustain went 13 of 20 for over 220 yards and 3 touchdowns.  Neither back went over the century mark rushing the football.  Once again, the range and touch he displayed put him on another level from either RoJo or Dick.  If given proper mentoring from the head coach over the course of the season, then he could've made the difference in at least two of those close games we lost at the last quarter of the season.

Even with his inexperience, Mustain was the difference in two games.  Those were crucial to Nutt's ability to run around and proclaim himself SEC Coach of the Year.

Funny thing about that award.  Mike Dubose was SEC Coach of the Year in 1999.  What happened to him?

As I said earlier, the one decent game he has was the Vandy game and that I would give Mustain that one.  So, that is 7-1, assuming that we would have lost that one if Mustain would not have played against Vandy.  Now, I like how you left out Mustain's stats in the Bama game, which were 7 for 23 and 3 interceptions.  So, even though Mustain had an absolutely horrible game, you still think that we would have lost that game if he wasn't playing?  Just b/c he happened to complete only his 7TH PASS at the end of the game, you say that he won us the game?  That is the worst logic ever.  I dare you to go to tell DMac and Felix that Mustain is the reason that we won the Bama game.

Hawgasaurus

Quote from: GBPackerFan on February 27, 2007, 05:07:05 pm
Quote from: Hawgasaurus on February 27, 2007, 03:35:52 pm
Quote from: GBPackerFan on February 27, 2007, 02:06:44 pm
Quote from: Hawgasaurus on February 27, 2007, 01:31:44 pm
undefeated as a starter, beat Auburn and 'Bama. How did Dick finish the season for us???
And how many "big games" did Mustain have for us?  Let's look at the games where you claim he had "big game."  In the Auburn game (87 yards) and 'Bama game (97 yards), he didn't even break 100 yards in passing.  In the 8 games that he started, he only broke 100 yards three times: Utah State (119 yards), Vanderbilt (224 yards), and Ole Miss (157 yards).  He only threw for 51 yards against SE Missouri St. and 71 yards against Louisiana Monroe!  Now come on!  Tell me how he had "big games" for us.  Please!

Didn't say he "had" big games, those were "big" games, there is a difference. He didn't put up huge numbers, but he did what it took to win. Can't say that about Dick in "big" games.
He didn't do what it took to win at all.  He handed the ball off to DMac and Felix.  DMac and Felix did what they had to do to win those games.  We probably would have gone 8-0 in those games, or at least 7-1 if Dick had been playing.  And I am not saying that Dick is an All Star or anything, I am simply saying that Mustain did not do much to contribute to any of those wins.  He threw a last second pass in the Bama game but he had only thrown around 85 or  90 yards total prior to that.,   The only game that he played well in was the Vandy game.  Now, I understand that his stats will be a little different to a normal QB since we run the ball 70% of the time, but his completion stats were averaged around 50%. 

Thanks for making my point for me, now which "big" game did CD win for the Hogs?
Okay, so going by what you say is "doing what is needed to win the 'big' game", Mustain could have gone 1/19 and 10 yards, as long as his last pass was the game winning pass?  He didn't even throw 100 yards in the game.  So, you still need to prove your "point."
Mustain threw the game winning pass under pressure and won the game, that's my point. When did CD do this in a big game?
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.

jkstock04

Quote from: HogsSon46 on February 27, 2007, 12:43:46 pm
Quote from: jkstock04 on February 27, 2007, 07:35:22 am
Quote from: BigDeal on February 27, 2007, 07:34:19 am
We play Kentucky on the third game of the year at HOME. I garentee you Coach Nutt ,Lee & Co. will have the troops fired up and beat this team. Kentucky is hurting in the secondary, so I would expect Casey Dick to have a HUGE game against them too.
LOL.  You think we're gonna pass the ball?  What evidence do you have that thats gonna materialize?

What evidence do you have that we will not pass more? You cant see the future, you can only go off the past.
Boy, now thats good logic right there.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

GBPackerFan

Quote from: Hawgasaurus on February 27, 2007, 05:25:17 pm

Didn't say he "had" big games, those were "big" games, there is a difference. He didn't put up huge numbers, but he did what it took to win. Can't say that about Dick in "big" games.
He didn't do what it took to win at all.  He handed the ball off to DMac and Felix.  DMac and Felix did what they had to do to win those games.  We probably would have gone 8-0 in those games, or at least 7-1 if Dick had been playing.  And I am not saying that Dick is an All Star or anything, I am simply saying that Mustain did not do much to contribute to any of those wins.  He threw a last second pass in the Bama game but he had only thrown around 85 or  90 yards total prior to that.,   The only game that he played well in was the Vandy game.  Now, I understand that his stats will be a little different to a normal QB since we run the ball 70% of the time, but his completion stats were averaged around 50%. 

Thanks for making my point for me, now which "big" game did CD win for the Hogs?
Okay, so going by what you say is "doing what is needed to win the 'big' game", Mustain could have gone 1/19 and 10 yards, as long as his last pass was the game winning pass?  He didn't even throw 100 yards in the game.  So, you still need to prove your "point."
Mustain threw the game winning pass under pressure and won the game, that's my point. When did CD do this in a big game?
So, even though he had only completed 6 passes prior to this, you still say that he is the reason he won the game?  And when did I ever say that CD had thrown only a couple of complete passes, but happened to throw the game winning pass?  Never.  All I had mention about CD earlier was that if he would have started the 7 games that Mustain did (I am not counting SCar b/c CD played that whole game), that we would have won all of them, except maybe the Vandy game b/c Mustain did actually have a decent game.  My point is that Mustain had no real impact in any of those games, except for Vandy.  But I have to say, if you are going to praise Mustain for going 7 for 23 and only 97 yards and three INTs in one game, then you have to praise CD for going 10 for 22 and 148 yards and two INTs in the SEC championship.  I mean, you have to stay consistent with your praise and criticism, right?

Hawgasaurus

Quote from: GBPackerFan on February 27, 2007, 05:39:38 pm

So, even though he had only completed 6 passes prior to this, you still say that he is the reason he won the game?  And when did I ever say that CD had thrown only a couple of complete passes, but happened to throw the game winning pass?  Never.  All I had mention about CD earlier was that if he would have started the 7 games that Mustain did (I am not counting SCar b/c CD played that whole game), that we would have won all of them, except maybe the Vandy game b/c Mustain did actually have a decent game.  My point is that Mustain had no real impact in any of those games, except for Vandy.  But I have to say, if you are going to praise Mustain for going 7 for 23 and only 97 yards and three INTs in one game, then you have to praise CD for going 10 for 22 and 148 yards and two INTs in the SEC championship.  I mean, you have to stay consistent with your praise and criticism, right?
You are right, refresh my memeory though - did we win the SEC championship game? I believe Mustain knows how to win games and we as Hog fans have seen this.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.

chrismo

February 27, 2007, 05:59:04 pm #105 Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 06:03:38 pm by chrismo
1/19 and 10 yards

ouch...my head...lsu flashback.

holtzhog

Good post HH. Thinking  nutt, lee, and CD will be ready is not reality

chrismo

you guys are arguing over 2 qb's who weren't ready.  mm, who has the physical tools but wasnt mentally able for the sec, and you have cd, who...umm should be happy he's getting a free education at an sec school.  he has no arm.  is it just me, or did his hail mary against wisconsin land on like the 40?

Pigskin_Porker

Quote from: chrismo on February 27, 2007, 05:59:04 pm
1/19 and 10 yards

ouch...my head...lsu flashback.

:puke:          :puke:            :puke:            :puke:            :puke:           :puke:          :puke:
"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

. . .  Es ist verdammt hart, das Beste zu sein . . .

holtzhog

Yes, and then 10ft over his head

ilovepinebluff

Kentucky had the worst defense in the SEC last year in almost every category. They were almost the worst in the nation. Scoring points will not be a problem, as Mcfadden and Jones will rush for around 400 on them. The thing that worries me is Andre Woodson.

d1nonlyhogfan

Quote from: ilovepinebluff on February 27, 2007, 06:14:06 pm
Kentucky had the worst defense in the SEC last year in almost every category. They were almost the worst in the nation. Scoring points will not be a problem, as Mcfadden and Jones will rush for around 400 on them. The thing that worries me is Andre Woodson.
And Chris Vaughn is back on the field running the secondary. It could get ugly.  :puke:
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

chrismo

arkansas is going to have a secondary this year??? OHHHH OH yea bend until it breaks.  right.

RazorRaider

Quote from: chrismo on February 27, 2007, 06:18:59 pm
arkansas is going to have a secondary this year??? OHHHH OH yea bend until it breaks.  right.

It's already bent and broken. :)
Quote from: LA HAWG on January 18, 2007, 08:00:42 am
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

How many times do we need to post this stuff?

warparty44

We play Kentucky on the third game of the year at HOME. I garentee you Coach Nutt ,Lee & Co. will have the troops fired up and beat this team. Kentucky is hurting in the secondary, so I would expect Casey Dick to have a HUGE game against them too.

A huge game?  what, is he going to hand off to the right more than the left?

holtzhog

On that date @ 6:41 pm its to the left.

chrismo

you have to take huge game in context...it differs

huge game for p manning, 400-500 yards

so normal game for cd 3-20 or 21...
huge game for cd..6-20 or 21..73 yards, only 2 interceptions, 4 touchdowns (handed off)

malzhanista

Quote from: BigDeal on February 27, 2007, 08:34:54 am
LOL.  You think we're gonna pass the ball?  What evidence do you have that thats gonna materialize?

This has already been discussed to a great degree. Coach Lee was hired in to develop the passing game. Coach Nutt is committed to that as he has already stated. He picked David Lee because he developed  Tony Romo.

No one believes that unless they are paid to.

How much does houston pay?

warparty44

Quote from: chrismo on February 27, 2007, 06:40:47 pm
you have to take huge game in context...it differs

huge game for p manning, 400-500 yards

so normal game for cd 3-20 or 21...
huge game for cd..6-20 or 21..73 yards, only 2 interceptions, 4 touchdowns (handed off)

That was my next question.  Is Houston going to lobby the NCAA to come up with a stat for touchdowns handed off ? TDHO vs TD thrown that would be "special"
You could also make a case for yards after handoff... whadya think?

chrismo

we have a major draft pick at the qb if they ad the yards after handoff

ilovepinebluff

Mods, I thought bashing players were against the rules of the board. If this isnt bashing, I dont know what is.

hogfan47

Quote from: CCCharlie on February 27, 2007, 05:59:39 am
when we lose to KY this year, the press will NOT report that the only way Nutt can save his job is to win the SEC Championship. :puke:

here is betting you are one that came on here telling us all how the hogs would lose to tnn and aubie last year huh
C L martin

Fort Smith Ark    

start the healing process now

chrismo

Quote from: ilovepinebluff on February 27, 2007, 07:13:04 pm
Mods, I thought bashing players were against the rules of the board. If this isnt bashing, I dont know what is.
no kiddin, we should be talking about cry baby blue chippers or meddling mothers.

chrismo

February 27, 2007, 07:19:30 pm #123 Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 07:24:05 pm by chrismo
Quote from: hogfan47 on February 27, 2007, 07:14:45 pm
Quote from: CCCharlie on February 27, 2007, 05:59:39 am
when we lose to KY this year, the press will NOT report that the only way Nutt can save his job is to win the SEC Championship. :puke:
here is betting you are one that came on here telling us all how the hogs would lose to tnn and aubie last year huh
we wont lose to ky, but will be a game because they pass, and we consistantly get passed on

gopigsgo

It'll be that S'dale cloud brotha. If Nutt is still coach here next year,there may be no getting rid of him.

JimBoT

Too bad  that those who are hoping that Arkansas loses a lot of games next year (that's what I call a REAL Razorback fan) will never know what would happen if Kentucky beats the Hogs for that will not happen. How can anyone hate a human being so much that they want him to fail and in this case they want his team to fail? That is beyond my understanding.

ilovepinebluff

Quote from: chrismo on February 27, 2007, 07:17:03 pm
Quote from: ilovepinebluff on February 27, 2007, 07:13:04 pm
no kiddin, we should be talking about cry baby blue chippers or meddling mothers.

Or we could talk about the Kentucky game without the constant bashing of Casey Dick.

Chief Mac

Made me spit water all over my cpu screen.  Thanks for the laugh! 
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Footballref

It amazes me that people still are posting things like if Nutt is still hear.

People get over it he is hear for next year I promise you just get used to it.

Also about KY beating us we don't even need a coach to beat them guys get real
and we are playing them here.

GBPackerFan

Quote from: Hawgasaurus on February 27, 2007, 05:48:42 pm

You are right, refresh my memeory though - did we win the SEC championship game? I believe Mustain knows how to win games and we as Hog fans have seen this.
No, we absolutely did not win the SEC championship game.  But my point is that it doesn't matter who was QB in either one of those games.  The outcomes of those games was going to be determined by how well DMac and Felix played.  Not how well Mustain or CD played.  Just like every other game this season.  There was only one game this season where the QB play aided in winning the game, and that was the Vandy game.  That was it.

Golfer

And what evidence does anyone have that we will lose to Kentucky??

BennyBlancofromtheRock

February 27, 2007, 08:27:33 pm #131 Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 08:31:44 pm by BennyBlancofromtheRock

Look guys I'm not sure if you're willing to come to grips with this....the only thing that Mitch beat was a path back to the huddle after handing the ball off to Dmac. I'm not saying that Dicks any better, they both looked horrible last year.

However I do find it funny that some of the same people who were proclaiming casey king dingaling last winter haved decided that he is the worst Qb ever since he replaced Mustain only to duplicate his play.

As far as How did Casey finish the season for us....the answer is "against the three best teams we played all year"

That might be part of the problem....(take that home and chew it over, it's delicious")

BennyBlancofromtheRock

Quote from: James K. Pork on February 27, 2007, 01:33:16 pm

Name one game Casey Dick won for Arkansas last year.  I can name two we wouldn't have won without Mustain's ability.

Who say's we couldn't have won those games with Casey at the helm....Mitch didn't win those games, he just didn't lose those games.

I can only believe that this has become a Mitch is our guy and Casey is Houston's guy argument. They both played horribly. The win and loss record of the games they played in can not be put squarely on the shoulders of either young men. For 10 games in a row this season we were able to win with terrible Quarterback play. Eventually we like the Chicago Bears found out too late that such a thing can only get you so far.

We had two Rex Grossmen!!! Wake up, they both played Horrible!

James K. Pork

Was Mississippi State one of those three best teams?

That is the problem.  Teams are going to play us just as State and Florida did last year.  You're going to see 4-4 defenses or 5-2 set-ups.  With the old regime holding firm to its Cro-Magnon offensive philosophy, we're not going to have the ability to break out of it.  We don't have the scheme and we don't have the Matt Jones kind of creativity or the Stoerner-type of ability needed from the quarterback slot to overcome the weakness of the Nutt offensive system.

As for Mustain, he won two games for us whether some of you like it or not.  If he doesn't hit the last pass against Alabama in the clutch, then we lose that game.  If he doesn't show up against Vanderbilt in a situation where the running game was held in check, then we don't win at Vanderbilt.

Mustain demonstrated he could overcome a situation where the rushing attack was controlled by a defense.  We lost his ability and his potential as a threat to defenses crowding the line of scrimmage.  Even without Malzahn, Mustain represented the opportunity to overcome the one-dimensional tradition of Nutt's Arkansas offenses. 

BennyBlancofromtheRock

He didn't do what it took to win at all.  He handed the ball off to DMac and Felix.  DMac and Felix did what they had to do to win those games.  We probably would have gone 8-0 in those games, or at least 7-1 if Dick had been playing.  And I am not saying that Dick is an All Star or anything, I am simply saying that Mustain did not do much to contribute to any of those wins.  He threw a last second pass in the Bama game, but he had only thrown around 85 or  90 yards total prior to that.  The only game that he played well in was the Vandy game.  Now, I understand that his stats will be a little different to a normal QB since we run the ball 70% of the time, but his completion stats were averaged around 50%. 

He didn't do what it took to win at all.  He handed the ball off to DMac and Felix.  DMac and Felix did what they had to do to win those games.  We probably would have gone 8-0 in those games, or at least 7-1 if Dick had been playing.  And I am not saying that Dick is an All Star or anything, I am simply saying that Mustain did not do much to contribute to any of those wins.  He threw a last second pass in the Bama game, but he had only thrown around 85 or  90 yards total prior to that.  The only game that he played well in was the Vandy game.  Now, I understand that his stats will be a little different to a normal QB since we run the ball 70% of the time, but his completion stats were averaged around 50%. 

So by your logic all the play's made by the rest of the team were irrelevant, that was Mitch's win? The rest of the team get's no credit for carrying him four quarters and putting him in a position to make ONE play.

Take away one play from Dmac and there goes this fabled 8-0 with mitch as a starter. Please bear in mind that I'm not taking anything away from Mitch during that 8 game stretch. I, however, refuse to what some here insist upon doing and give him FAR TOO MUCH CREDIT.

You may as well say that Jacob Skinner won 8 games in a row. He played just as well as Mitch, in fact he probably played better, but then again he wasn't a freshman so I don't want to point a finger.

James K. Pork

Benny, you've got to have a quarterback who can play in the SEC.  Look at 2005.  How many games does Arkansas win that year with a set-up that actually attracts and develops quality quarterbacks?

I don't care if you have a backfield with DM5, Bo Jackson, and Herschel Walker, you are not going to be a consistent winner against SEC defenses without the presence of ability at quarterback and the demonstrated willingness to utilize that talent.

One-dimensional offense will not get it done in the SEC.  Florida wasn't the greatest running team you've ever seen, but they were willing to show the run and feature it in unique ways complementing their passing strength.  These are the teams that win championships and regularly feature among the SEC's best year-in and year-out.

BennyBlancofromtheRock

Quote from: GBPackerFan on February 27, 2007, 08:02:51 pm
Quote from: Hawgasaurus on February 27, 2007, 05:48:42 pm

No, we absolutely did not win the SEC championship game.  But my point is that it doesn't matter who was QB in either one of those games.  The outcomes of those games was going to be determined by how well DMac and Felix played.  Not how well Mustain or CD played.  Just like every other game this season.  There was only one game this season where the QB play aided in winning the game, and that was the Vandy game.  That was it.

Hey brother, If you mean that the outcome was going to be determined in the LSU and Fla games by Dmac and Felix I'm not sure I can fly with you on that one. You are usually dead on, but in those games it was a matter of could our passing game contribute just enough to counteract the superior defense that was completely zeroed in on the run.

Could our passing game be even moderately efficient againts all day single coverage. The aswer unfortunately was no. However I thin you menat was what I will now say.

It doesn't matter which QB was in the game, niether one of them played well all season. I wouldn't have been against MM playing, I was sure as hell ready to see him in the second half against LSU but never did. However I refuse to delude myself to the point that I believe that MM was some wunderkind held hostage on the sideline who would have stepped in and dismantled those defenses.

It was a choice of do you pull the QB who is playing horrible, and stick in the QB that WAS playing horrible, or do you stick with the current level of horrible and hope he finds a rythm.

Like I said I was ready to give Mitch another chance but unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, I'm no coach) that wasn't my call.  

BennyBlancofromtheRock

Quote from: James K. Pork on February 27, 2007, 08:45:03 pm

No, LSU, FLA, And wisconsin were the three best teams. I do believe we beat Miss St. or was I drunker than I remember?

bphi11ips

Quote from: BigDeal on February 27, 2007, 10:52:34 am
(Besides, the snap looked bad to me).

LOL!! The snap was PERFECT!!!  Just confirmed my suspicion.  BigDeal is either a grad asst. or a player.  Who else would call David Lee "coach".

You're a PLANT, aren't you BD?  If not, you should SUPPORT your positions, not just state them in your knee jerk fashion.  Most of us are open to persuasion if you have some FACTS or REASONS to back up your opinions.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

BennyBlancofromtheRock

As for Mustain, he won two games for us whether some of you like it or not.  If he doesn't hit the last pass against Alabama in the clutch, then we lose that game.  If he doesn't show up against Vanderbilt in a situation where the running game was held in check, then we don't win at Vanderbilt.

Or perhaps we put any other of our sub-par performers at that position in there and they get lucky and don't have such a god awful day that Mitch did and we wouldn't have had to go to overtime to beat Alabama. Like I said before it's one play...just becuase it's the last play doesn't make the win his.

What if he had a better day passing and we beat them out right, with Mitch going 12-20 and 130 yds and 1td and felix or darren going for 200 and 2td's. By your logic it is no longer Mitch's game becuase he didn't score on the last play although that would have been one of his best performances all year.

Look he did his part, JUST BARELY. Since when does that make you a gridiron hero. Give a little bit of credit to the rest of the team that carried him all day so that he one be in a position to make that one play.

ilovepinebluff

That is the problem.  Teams are going to play us just as State and Florida did last year.  You're going to see 4-4 defenses or 5-2 set-ups.  With the old regime holding firm to its Cro-Magnon offensive philosophy, we're not going to have the ability to break out of it.  We don't have the scheme and we don't have the Matt Jones kind of creativity or the Stoerner-type of ability needed from the quarterback slot to overcome the weakness of the Nutt offensive system.

Mustain demonstrated he could overcome a situation where the rushing attack was controlled by a defense.  We lost his ability and his potential as a threat to defenses crowding the line of scrimmage.  Even without Malzahn, Mustain represented the opportunity to overcome the one-dimensional tradition of Nutt's Arkansas offenses. 

Mustain was the reason we were in that situation against Alabama. He was 0-6 in his last 6 passes with 3 of those being interceptions. He also lost around 8 yards in a quarterback scramble when and put us in a 3rd and long situation in overtime. Just because he was 5* recruit, doesnt mean he is exempt from critcism.

James K. Pork

Quote from: BennyBlancofromtheRock on February 27, 2007, 09:03:04 pm

No, LSU, FLA, And wisconsin were the three best teams. I do believe we beat Miss St. or was I drunker than I remember?

We won.  But Ellis Johnson's defense owned our offense.  There are equally-talented SEC coordinators with better defensive personnel than State (This past year was an up-year for them in terms of talent, but their own problems with offense damaged morale on defense.).  They are going to watch that film and the work Strong/Mattison did against us in Atlanta, realize that Nuttball is back in session, and defense against our one offensive strength.

BennyBlancofromtheRock

Quote from: James K. Pork on February 27, 2007, 08:57:31 pm
Benny, you've got to have a quarterback who can play in the SEC.  Look at 2005.  How many games does Arkansas win that year with a set-up that actually attracts and develops quality quarterbacks?

I don't care if you have a backfield with DM5, Bo Jackson, and Herschel Walker, you are not going to be a consistent winner against SEC defenses without the presence of ability at quarterback and the demonstrated willingness to utilize that talent.

One-dimensional offense will not get it done in the SEC.  Florida wasn't the greatest running team you've ever seen, but they were willing to show the run and feature it in unique ways complementing their passing strength.  These are the teams that win championships and regularly feature among the SEC's best year-in and year-out.

I couldn't agree with you more, we didn't have that guy last season. Maybe Mitch would have grown into that guy, but now we'll never know. I can only hope that Casey or another razorback will step up.

Please don't say that MM was that guy followed by the inevitable 8-0....He was no more responsible for those wins than anyother starter, and less responsible than some. We had a good run in spite of a lack of a passing game. MM played well at Vandy, in some other games we got really lucky, and some games we were able to dominate through defense and running. When we played teams that weren't going to make the same mistakes, or were good enough to contain or run while putting up good offense we were screwed.

For lack of "that guy"

James K. Pork

Quote from: ilovepinebluff on February 27, 2007, 09:11:07 pm

Mustain was the reason we were in that situation against Alabama. He was 0-6 in his last 6 passes with 3 of those being interceptions. He also lost around 8 yards in a quarterback scramble when and put us in a 3rd and long situation in overtime. Just because he was 5* recruit, doesnt mean he is exempt from critcism.

Same goes for Casey Dick, who for some reason didn't get exiled when he failed to produce.

True freshmen struggle in the SEC unless your name is Danny Wuerffel.  Peyton Manning had trouble.  JaMarcus Russell suffered in much the same way.  What seperates the Mustains and quarterbacks with their ability from everyone else are the flashes of ability demonstrated in clutch situations.  Mustain showed more in 9 games than the current starter has shown over two seasons.

Yeah, he played poorly against Alabama.  But when everything was on the line, he made the touchdown pass that enabled victory.  Imagine what a season with competent leadership and guidance from the head coaching spot would've done for this kid?  What would we have had if this kid had been educated as a Stafford or a Tebow at their respective programs?

Jonas_Quin

This will be just one of many embarrasing losses next year, but good ole Nutt will come up with some excuse I'm sure.  D-Mac will probably get hurt early on from running it every play up the middle and Nutt will say that we just can't get the ground game going without D-Mac otherwise we would be awesome.  And all the huggers will lap it up and say O.K. we will give him this year afterall we won 10 games last year.

BennyBlancofromtheRock

Quote from: James K. Pork on February 27, 2007, 09:11:40 pm
Quote from: BennyBlancofromtheRock on February 27, 2007, 09:03:04 pm

We won.  But Ellis Johnson's defense owned our offense.  There are equally-talented SEC coordinators with better defensive personnel than State (This past year was an up-year for them in terms of talent, but their own problems with offense damaged morale on defense.).  They are going to watch that film and the work Strong/Mattison did against us in Atlanta, realize that Nuttball is back in session, and defense against our one offensive strength.

I guess what I don't get is you seem to be insinuating that our offense was somehow different with one QB over the other. As I recall our passing game was anemic regardless of which QB was playing. So therefore it is my stance that MM was just as likely to struggle as Dick did. I would have given MM his chance second half of LSU but Nutt didn't. It may not have been the right call but it was his call and not one that I would have liked to be responsible for.....like I said it was current terrible v. former terrible!

Additionally let me say that by the end of the Wisconsin game I would have been happy to give ROJO another chance our passing game was so miserable.

An old lady had me thrown out of the game for calling Houston a drunk! (I have no evidence to back this up, I'm not calling him that now please don't boot me) Man, I don't like Houston.

ilovepinebluff

Quote from: James K. Pork on February 27, 2007, 09:21:44 pm
Quote from: ilovepinebluff on February 27, 2007, 09:11:07 pm

Same goes for Casey Dick, who for some reason didn't get exiled when he failed to produce.

True freshmen struggle in the SEC unless your name is Danny Wuerffel.  Peyton Manning had trouble.  JaMarcus Russell suffered in much the same way.  What seperates the Mustains and quarterbacks with their ability from everyone else are the flashes of ability demonstrated in clutch situations.  Mustain showed more in 9 games than the current starter has shown over two seasons.

Yeah, he played poorly against Alabama.  But when everything was on the line, he made the touchdown pass that enabled victory.  Imagine what a season with competent leadership and guidance from the head coaching spot would've done for this kid?  What would we have had if this kid had been educated as a Stafford or a Tebow at their respective programs?

Well ok, what if Casey Dick went 1/39 against Florida in the SECCG, but the last pass and only completion was a game winning touchdown pass...... Does this put him in the same situation as Mitch (Showing leadership when the game is on the line)?

James K. Pork

Well ok, what if Casey Dick went 1/39 against Florida in the SECCG, but the last pass and only completion was a game winning touchdown pass...... Does this put him in the same situation as Mitch (Showing leadership when the game is on the line)?

Indeed.  Same goes for Matt Jones during the Miracle on Markham.  He stunk up the joint most of the game.  But with everything hinging on his arm, he responded in the final drive.

ark8302

Quote from: gohogs3218 on February 27, 2007, 07:49:30 am
Where is everyone getting that David Lee is such an asset for the program? It is his THIRD time here. What did he do before? His contract was up at Dallas and his job was to break down film. People are saying he developed Romo also not true. He played at E. Illinois under none other than Roy Wittke. Recognize that name? Yet another good coach that HDN ran off. Give me a break. You guys need to clean off your rose colored glasses or at least be realistic.

Amen..........  no improvement made here with or without Gus.

Hawgasaurus

Quote from: Jonas_Quin on February 27, 2007, 09:23:13 pm
This will be just one of many embarrasing losses next year, but good ole Nutt will come up with some excuse I'm sure.  D-Mac will probably get hurt early on from running it every play up the middle and Nutt will say that we just can't get the ground game going without D-Mac otherwise we would be awesome.  And all the huggers will lap it up and say O.K. we will give him this year afterall we won 10 games last year.

Precisely.