Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Eddie Sutton is in trouble....

Started by Boarcephus, February 14, 2006, 06:45:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarcephus

Found this in the demozette this am.  To summerize:

DUI Citation and his season is over 6 wins short of 800.   Evidently he was driving dangerously and rerractically forcing cars off the road till he hit another one from behind at around 60 mph.    Appeared  confused, responded angrily to questions and had a slight "fruity odor" on his breath.   Had painkilllers in his car.  He was't given a field sobriety test on he because he needed medical treatment.  He wasn't jailed under lack of physical evidence.   He had already stumbled and fell striking his head in the parking lot of Gallagher-Iba Arena earlier.   

shame....

I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

subliznime

BossHog13

Sad! I really feel sorry for the guy. After this many years, he still seems not to be able to kick that problem! He needs help, better yet, prayers!!!

SouthSide Johnny

Complete coverage including, 911 call, police report and witness accounts

http://newsok.com/article/1760659/?template=sports/osu
Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

LordStanleysHog

It's my understanding that his condition was brought upon by his use of the pain killers for his back problems, not alcohol... if that's true the Pros. could choose not to file charges for DUI because of his involuntary intoxication by the pills, I can't imagine that he'd be drunk at the time considering what he was doing that day and where he was headed.

Also, he gets credited for the teams wins and loses becasue he is the head coach, whether he's there or not...

Topcat

I wish we could have an ambassador for the state that matched what Mr. Sutton did while he was here. It was a privilege to have him as our coach. My heart goes out to him and his family. I know he didn't want it to end like this. I hope people won't 'pile on' when the man is down.

SouthSide Johnny

DUI covers drugs also , high profile person with a injury accident yea he gets charged if tests are positive.

Q: What's a DUI?
A: DUI is driving under the influence. In Oklahoma that means the person who is found guilty was "under the influence of alcohol; ... under the influence of any intoxicating substance other than alcohol which may render such person incapable of safely driving or operating a motor vehicle; or is under the combined influence of alcohol and any other intoxicating substance which may render such person incapable of safely driving or operating a motor vehicle."
Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

LordStanleysHog

Quote from: SSJ on February 14, 2006, 11:15:02 am
DUI covers drugs also , high profile person with a injury accident yea he gets charged if tests are positive.

Q: What’s a DUI?
A: DUI is driving under the influence. In Oklahoma that means the person who is found guilty was “under the influence of alcohol; ... under the influence of any intoxicating substance other than alcohol which may render such person incapable of safely driving or operating a motor vehicle; or is under the combined influence of alcohol and any other intoxicating substance which may render such person incapable of safely driving or operating a motor vehicle.”

All I'm saying is that in situations like this where the intoxication came from Dr. prescribed medications I've seen persons not charged with DUI because of the involuntary nature of their actions and the seriousness of the crime but he could be charged with other traffic violations.  But if the tox report shows certain pain meds he'll probably be charged because he should have known the affects of the medication.  It is very fact intensive at this point and it will be up to the Prosecutor.

HogDodging

February 14, 2006, 11:34:44 am #8 Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 11:36:28 am by Deep Shoat
Quote from: LordStanleysHog on February 14, 2006, 10:50:17 am
It's my understanding that his condition was brought upon by his use of the pain killers for his back problems, not alcohol... if that's true the Pros. could choose not to file charges for DUI because of his involuntary intoxication by the pills,

Where in the world did you come up with that?  Involuntary intoxication?  If pain killers were involved, who forced them down his throat?  And, who doesn't know that pain killers have such side effects?
A lot of people are jumping to conclusions here.  The blood test results won't be available for six to eight weeks.  Just because he was charged with DUI, that doesn't mean he was intoxicated.
Also, that fruity smell everybody is talking can be indicative of a blood sugar problem.  More than one person has been suspected of being intoxicated only to find out they were having diabetic related problems.
Eddie deserves to let the legal system run its course.  Let's not convict him before the courts do.

Macgyver Hawg

LordStanleysHog

Deep,

He wasn't charged with anything yet because they don't have the evidence (drug report), and secondly involuntary intoxication is in some states an affirmative defense to certain crimes (no longer in AR) all I'm saying is that if the report comes back and he was under Dr. prescribed medications that the Prosecutor can take that into consideration when deciding what to charge.

I'm not jumping to conclusions, and I'm giving you reasons why he might not be charged with DUI and reasons why people shouldn't convict him before he's charged.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Macgyver Hawg on February 14, 2006, 11:36:11 am
He could have killed someone.

right, and voluntarily taking prescription pain killers with those bright red labels on them telling people not to drive or operate heavy machinery while taking them does not constitute involuntary intoxication.  If he would have killed a guy, and if he was drunk when he did it, he would deserve to be convicted of murder.  To me, just driving while intoxicated should get you convicted of attempted murder. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.