Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A radio nightmare: Rainwater, Schaeffer and Ron Crawford together

Started by Jim Harris, February 13, 2006, 04:22:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Harris

"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Woo Hawg

"I wonder if they have a sport called Larry or Moe."  Rick Schaeffer

LA HAWG

Since 1894

I need to turn on my radio, I bet there is a whole lot of hog lovin going on.
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

hogman64

Wasnt there a group in the 70's called  The Spinners?  I enjoyed them more than the current version ...

Hoggy Potter

Just Play to Win Baby!!!

hogsanity

COme on guys, where else can we hear about some 8 th grader at rural special who is a 4'9" combo guard with great potential playing for Rons AAU team.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogman64

RR let a guy talk one day for 5 minutes about the 7th grade Little Rock championship football game that was to be played that night ....it was real interesting finding out the strengths of the teams..........

hogsanity

Never forget 2 years ago, national FB signing day, and they interview the FB coach at SAU about their signing class. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

snoutface

Sometimes it's better for me to be quiet and let everybody believe I'm dumb as dirt, than to speak up and prove it.

hogman64

Because we love to hear information about the Hogs , since we are posting on this board that is obvious...and between 4 and 5 as far as I know that is the only sports show on radio discussing the hogs.. so no matter how bad it sucks if I am in my car I usually turn it on...It is like wanting to watch TV and  having only one channel.. if there was any other alternative talking about hog sports I am sure I would be there. Of course at 5 you have the Chuck option which is some better in my opinion.

snoutface

Precisely.  Say what you will about Randy & Rick, they are the only people in the world capable of translating Jimmy Lee.  Or do you reckon they just make up what they think he said?  I'd love to have Jimmy Lee call Press Row some morning. 
Jimmy Lee: "Baa Bow Wowo  BaBaBaBa- aint that right!?"
Mike I: "WTH was that!"
Sometimes it's better for me to be quiet and let everybody believe I'm dumb as dirt, than to speak up and prove it.

12under

i am probably in the minority on this board, but i know and like rick very much.  he is more knowledgeable about razorback sports than probably anyone.  i also appreciate that he looks for positive things instead of always harping on negatives

Tater Salad

Quote from: 12under on February 13, 2006, 05:31:00 pm
i am probably in the minority on this board, but i know and like rick very much.  he is more knowledgeable about razorback sports than probably anyone.  i also appreciate that he looks for positive things instead of always harping on negatives

I agree he's a good guy he's just really easy to pick on....so I'll continue to do it  ;D

Jim Harris

he refers to the Snopes website as "Snoops." Truly, three hours of humor, if you find this kind of stuff funny. Schaeffer is mister No It All and just outright getting crap wrong. Then, there's The Coach. Oh boy, the Coach.

You know, Nolan hated The Coach. Stan Heath sidled up to The Coach and has used the Coach's influence in recruiting.

Nolan also hated Ted Harrod and avoided him at all cost.

This post is starting to get away from me. I'll stop now, but I think you know what comes next.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: hogman64 on February 13, 2006, 04:29:14 pm
Wasnt there a group in the 70's called  The Spinners?  I enjoyed them more than the current version ...

Really, all their "bumper" music  ought to be Spinners hits, like "Rubber Ban Man," "Could It Be I'm Falling in Love," etc.

Jim Harris

Well, maybe you and Rick can go off on a fishing trip to Brokeback Mountain since you like him so much. ;D

12under

Quote from: drakehog on February 13, 2006, 05:41:28 pm

Well, maybe you and Rick can go off on a fishing trip to Brokeback Mountain since you like him so much. ;D
not that there's anything wrong with that

12under

rick certainly know more than you about these situations,  and i dont understand your fixation and hatred of rick

Since 1894

Ditto, met him several times and like him as a person, a UofA employee and broadcaster.  However, I don't think he sees the glass as half full - He sees it as 3/4 full all the time!  Good man (IMHO).
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Since 1894

Quote from: drakehog on February 13, 2006, 05:43:14 pm
Quote from: Since 1894 on February 13, 2006, 04:42:45 pm
Quote from: Tater Salad on February 13, 2006, 04:32:49 pm
Quote from: hoggystyle78 on February 13, 2006, 04:29:12 pm
No, he just looks like a goober.

Maybe its just me, but he looks like he used to do Crystal Meth or somethin....he's one sickly lookin mofo

All Genetics.  I went to school with Rick's younger brother and both had the same hair and both were clean as a whistle!

Rick's younger brother had more fun than Rick ever did. Rick's idea of a fun night is reading old media guides. ;D

How did you know Steve?

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: hogman64 on February 13, 2006, 04:29:14 pm
Don't know but there was a more recent band called "The Spin Doctors".
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

fire_hog

Quote from: 12under on February 13, 2006, 05:47:29 pm
rick certainly know more than you about these situations,  and i dont understand your fixation and hatred of rick

I don't think it's hatred, just disgust that this is the best Arkansas can do in regards to a sports "journalist". My view is that either Rick is a very stupid man (doubtful), or a liar. He presents himself as an objective observer of the Razorbacks, yet has NEVER to my knowledge disagreed with the "company line" coming down from the Hill. If he really believes everything fed to him through University sources, he is a very stupid man. If not, a liar.
In a coaching business so full of phonies who talk character only to bend the rules, who consider the definition of discipline a player's weight-room attendance, who wouldn't dare pull something like this because it might hurt recruiting, here's Joe Pa, four decades on the job and not giving a damn. Except about what's right. - Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports

razorback3072

The thing people need to understand about Rick is that he is a genuinely positive person.  He comes across as putting a spin on everything.  A lot of this is blamed on the fact that he was a UA employee or is working for ARSN.  While some of that may be true, he just won't say negative things about a program or a person.  That's his nature.  He is a strong Christian and that's how he operates.  He does a lot of things in the community that don't get noticed with his programs to help kids from broken homes.  I used to be one that for years made fun of his "we're down by 20 with a minute left but all we need are a couple of threes and we're back in it" attitude, until I met him and listened to him speak.  His character will not allow him to say negative things, that's just how he is.  Like him or hate him.  I'm not saying that we couldn't do better for a commentator but he knows more about Razorback athletics than anyone else outside of maybe Orville when he was alive.   
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

fire_hog

I was probably a little harsh when I inferred Rick is a liar, and most if not all the people who know him speak very highly of him. I still believe Rick and his ilk do as much damage to the program as good. A positive attitude is great, but to just ignore reality, as he does sometimes, perpetuates the notion that our two money programs are healthy and no changes should be made.
In a coaching business so full of phonies who talk character only to bend the rules, who consider the definition of discipline a player's weight-room attendance, who wouldn't dare pull something like this because it might hurt recruiting, here's Joe Pa, four decades on the job and not giving a damn. Except about what's right. - Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports

Hog_from_Tulsa

Quote from: razorback3072 on February 13, 2006, 07:37:56 pm
The thing people need to understand about Rick is that he is a genuinely positive person.  He comes across as putting a spin on everything.  A lot of this is blamed on the fact that he was a UA employee or is working for ARSN.  While some of that may be true, he just won't say negative things about a program or a person.  That's his nature.  He is a strong Christian and that's how he operates.  He does a lot of things in the community that don't get noticed with his programs to help kids from broken homes.  I used to be one that for years made fun of his "we're down by 20 with a minute left but all we need are a couple of threes and we're back in it" attitude, until I met him and listened to him speak.  His character will not allow him to say negative things, that's just how he is.  Like him or hate him.  I'm not saying that we couldn't do better for a commentator but he knows more about Razorback athletics than anyone else outside of maybe Orville when he was alive.   

Very true.....I don't think that anyone could ever question Rick's integrity......while I don't necessarily like his upbeat tone on DTS.....I do tend to like it on the ARSN broadcasts......in the heat of the moment.....it's great to have him......even if we're down by 40......Rick still explains some way for us to possibly win.....and I'd believe it....I think that comes from his high integrity
"We can't get no reform when we're the incumbent" - Pappy O'Daniel

johnny cash

Quote from: drakehog on February 13, 2006, 05:41:28 pm

Maybe they will enjoy sheep herding.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Since 1894 on February 13, 2006, 05:50:58 pm
Quote from: drakehog on February 13, 2006, 05:43:14 pm
Quote from: Since 1894 on February 13, 2006, 04:42:45 pm
Quote from: Tater Salad on February 13, 2006, 04:32:49 pm
Quote from: hoggystyle78 on February 13, 2006, 04:29:12 pm
No, he just looks like a goober.

Maybe its just me, but he looks like he used to do Crystal Meth or somethin....he's one sickly lookin mofo

All Genetics.  I went to school with Rick's younger brother and both had the same hair and both were clean as a whistle!

Rick's younger brother had more fun than Rick ever did. Rick's idea of a fun night is reading old media guides. ;D

How did you know Steve?

I knew him when he was in school working in the SID dept for Rick and he was also stringing for out of state newspapers. Then, I think he went to a paper in Houston.

Topcat

I can live with Rick and his 'spin doctor' style, but Rainwater has to be the worst of all time. Listening to him stumble through his commercial spots is just absolutely painful. I can't believe sponsors would actually pay for that crap. It's like he never prepares for a show and continues to spout the same old tired stuff day after day. I had to stop listening to the show. You can actually be embarassed for the guy because he sounds so goofy.   

HogFanLR

I think Rainwater is "crazy like a fox" regarding his broadcasting.  His show has been around forever, and it consitently does well in the ratings. Plus he obviously makes money for the station.  Not saying you should like his show, but I would not make the mistake of assuming anyone can do it.  Tough gig and he probably deserves a little respect for being successful at it.   

Got to admit I like Rick,  I take it with a grain of salt because I know his bent, but it is refreshing to hear some good things about the program even if I know part of it is spin.