Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mizzou may want Majerus, or the Northern Iowa coach

Started by Biggus Piggus, February 13, 2006, 08:12:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Early buzzing from Mizzou athletic department brought out those two names.

Not 100% clear, though, that the current AD is going to be allowed to fill the job.  He's obviously a screwup.

I mention this because some early reports named Mike Anderson as a favorite, and he appears to be pretty happy with his incoming recruiting class & staying at UAB.
[CENSORED]!

hogfan064

Anderson is an Alabama native if I'm not mistaken.  I don't know if the Mizzou job is going to entice him enough.  He might hold out for a bigger name

ArkansasI

I know that Majerus has a great basketball mind, but I don't understand what happened with the Southern Cal gig and why he remains a coaching commodity after that.

Does anybody know?

Mizzou should be a great job for anybody.  If in 5 recruiting classes you can't find 8 kids who can play basketball in Kansas City and St. Louis, then you shouldn't be coaching Division I basketball.

hogfan064

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 13, 2006, 08:22:44 am
I know that Majerus has a great basketball mind, but I don't understand what happened with the Southern Cal gig and why he remains a coaching commodity after that.

Does anybody know?

Mizzou should be a great job for anybody.  If in 5 recruiting classes you can't find 8 kids who can play basketball in Kansas City and St. Louis, then you shouldn't be coaching Division I basketball.

He's very very fat and that has alot of programs scared about his health.  I think he's worried about it too and it has kept him out of coaching.  I doubt Mizzou would entice him either.  They just aren't that big of a name in CBB

hogsanity

What Mizzu WANTS and what MIzzu ends up withh will likely be 2 very different things.

That program is in worse shape than the hogs were when nolan left.  Quinnn burned more recruting bridges in St Louis and KC than HDN ever has in ARk. 

Mizzu will want a big name to try and revive the program, but big names are not known as restoration guys.  A guy like Majerus might fit that bill, although I dont think he is a seriuos "big name" any longer. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawkeyefan17

Norm Stewart coached at Northern Iowa before going to Missouri and building a very good program. I think Greg McDermott, the current head coach at Northern Iowa, would be a great hire for Missouri. He has proven himself at the mid-major level and is ready for a big time job.

Northern Iowa was a perinial doormat (along with Drake) in the Missouri Valley for years and he has turned them into a top level mid-major program, something nobody saw coming. He will do a fine job at Missouri, if he in fact does take the job, is a pipline developing between Cedar Falls and Columbia? It is sort of strange.

The sooner McDermott gets out of Cedar Falls the happier Hawkeye and Cyclone fans will be.

Northern Iowa did upset Missouri in the 1990 NCAA tournament under Eldon Miller, Missouri was a #3 seed and Northern Iowa was a #14 seed.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 13, 2006, 08:12:52 am

Not 100% clear, though, that the current AD is going to be allowed to fill the job.  He's obviously a screwup.

I mention this because some early reports named Mike Anderson as a favorite, and he appears to be pretty happy with his incoming recruiting class & staying at UAB.
Keep an eye on Dana Altman of Creighton--no insider info here, other than just he is one name out of many that is floating about.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

RAZORBART

Does this mean there will not be a plane at XNA waiting for Stanley ?

Dammit !!!!

94 Hawg

you would think Mizzou would be attractive to a coach. Brand new Arena, big12 comf. 2 major cities to recruit from in-state and lowered expectations b/c of what has transpired over the last few years there.
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

hogsanity

Quote from: 94 Hawg on February 13, 2006, 09:06:39 am
you would think Mizzou would be attractive to a coach. Brand new Arena, big12 comf. 2 major cities to recruit from in-state and lowered expectations b/c of what has transpired over the last few years there.

You would think so, but why would a truly big name be looking to move.  To be a big name I would assume they are having sucess, and why leave that to go to a down school?  Now, some of it depends on how you define BIG NAME COACH.  Altman, in the coaching fraternity, is respected, and I would guess many b12 coaches would think he would rebuild the Mizzu program.  However, outside of haardcore BB fans, no one would know who he is.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

94 Hawg

I don't disagree with you on the 'bigname" coaches, but the truth is that after the season ends the Mizzou job should be one of; if not THE most attractive jobs open at that time.
~ Will Rogers

chiefhog

Quote from: 94 Hawg on February 13, 2006, 09:06:39 am
The only problem with that is if you are talking about KC then most of KC hates the Tigers and follows the Jayhawks.  If you are a good baller in STL then you want to go to Illinois.  The Tigers get the leftovers after those 2 programs.

hogsanity

February 13, 2006, 09:29:43 am #12 Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 09:51:20 am by hogsanity
Quote from: 94 Hawg on February 13, 2006, 09:19:03 am
I don't disagree with you on the 'bigname" coaches, but the truth is that after the season ends the Mizzou job should be one of; if not THE most attractive jobs open at that time.

Maybe that just means there are not many "attractive" jobs open this offseason.  Just like there were few if any after the FB season.

DirkPiggler

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 13, 2006, 08:57:12 am

Keep an eye on Dana Altman of Creighton--no insider info here, other than just he is one name out of many that is floating about.

Altman had his shot at Kansas State and Heathed.  Maybe he just wasn't ready, who knows?
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

Biggus Piggus

Altman didn't "Heath" at K-State.  In fact they paid dearly for ousting him too soon.  Their administration and boosters didn't understand how down their talent level was when Altman took over for Kruger, who really screwed them over.  The next two coaches they hired have been their penance, while Altman has coached circles around them at Creighton.

Altman has zero interest in going into another high-expectations, low-reality situation, so fergit about that one.

McDermott may end up replacing Steve Alford if the latter ends up taking over at Indiana.
[CENSORED]!

Hoggy Potter

Mike Anderson is staying at UAB instead of leaping to the Big 12 and Mizzou?  Classic!!  He may have a good class coming in and all but come on...the two schools should not even be mentioned in the same breath when it comes to big time.  Shows how far a program can fall.  Hope we don't get to that point where midmajor coaches are turning us down.
May already be there!
Just Play to Win Baby!!!

Hog_from_Tulsa

Maybe....Mike Anderson thinks that he can turn UAB into the next Gonzaga..........turn David into Goliath???  If so......best of luck to him....

It also seems like Quinn is leaving more baggage at Mizzou than a lot of them want to admit to at this point.....aka...recuiting probs.....NCAA investigations....etc.
"We can't get no reform when we're the incumbent" - Pappy O'Daniel

94 Hawg

Quote from: Hog_from_Tulsa on February 13, 2006, 07:36:00 pm
Maybe....Mike Anderson thinks that he can turn UAB into the next Gonzaga..........turn David into Goliath???  If so......best of luck to him....

It also seems like Quinn is leaving more baggage at Mizzou than a lot of them want to admit to at this point.....aka...recuiting probs.....NCAA investigations....etc.

agreed, odd time to resign really--may be more to this than we see currently
~ Will Rogers