Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who was the qb that we got from the flag football ranks?

Started by RazorHawg16, January 20, 2011, 09:33:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

arkansaspanic

that stadium got loud when he came in... pretty sad that intramural flag football did as much for a QB as houston nutt could

Hawg414

there was another one back around '90.  back in the jason allen days.  wally, or willy, or lenny, or something like that.

i offered nothing.  thanks for playing.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Hawg414 on January 20, 2011, 09:49:53 pm
there was another one back around '90.  back in the jason allen days.  wally, or willy, or lenny, or something like that.

Lanny?...
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

WhenPigsFly

But Rutledge had been with the team for a year or two as a  walk on, and had just quit the team fairly recently when he was asked back.

Fatmanhog

that was Nutts recruiting win that year. stole that one from that intermural squad he did!
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

iseeredpeople

Quote from: Hawg414 on January 20, 2011, 09:49:53 pm

wade hill. got him from the band. he threw 5 picks against georgia in shreveport.

PorkSoda

Quote from: fatmanhog on January 21, 2011, 12:01:23 am
that was Nutts recruiting win that year. stole that one from that intermural squad he did!
its tough recruitng against those guys. tough i tell'ya
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ar_hog_fan

Wow. Im a pretty young fan and never heard of this happening. Did we REALLY pick up a player from a flag team to play college ball? Had to be one of Nutt's shenanigans??

deucea729

Quote from: ar_hog_fan on January 21, 2011, 12:24:26 am
Wow. Im a pretty young fan and never heard of this happening. Did we REALLY pick up a player from a flag team to play college ball? Had to be one of Nutt's shenanigans??

Yes.  Starting QB was gimped and we had like 2 more knocked out in a blowout to Deuce McAllister's Ole Miss team in Fayetteville.  So Rutledge came in and promptly led us down the field for a score.  The stadium erupted.

That game was such a joke that Rutledge is the lasting memory from it - aside from Deuce running wild all day, on kickoffs and everything else.

ar_hog_fan

Quote from: deucea729 on January 21, 2011, 12:28:14 am
Yes.  Starting QB was gimped and we had like 2 more knocked out in a blowout to Deuce McAllister's Ole Miss team in Fayetteville.  So Rutledge came in and promptly led us down the field for a score.  The stadium erupted.

That game was such a joke that Rutledge is the lasting memory from it - aside from Deuce running wild all day, on kickoffs and everything else.

unbelievable.. was that the only appearance the guy ever made?

Hawg414

Quote from: iseeredpeople on January 21, 2011, 12:20:12 am
wade hill. got him from the band. he threw 5 picks against georgia in shreveport.

thats him..  thats who i was thinking of.  didnt realize he came from the band though.  really.. the band???

ar_hog_fan

Quote from: Hawg414 on January 21, 2011, 12:50:30 am
thats him..  thats who i was thinking of.  didnt realize he came from the band though.  really.. the band???

hahaha!! that cant be real..

PorkSoda

to be fair, didn't that hawaii QB do the same thing recently?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Sivad

hogninja

Quote from: ar_hog_fan on January 21, 2011, 12:32:09 am

unbelievable.. was that the only appearance the guy ever made?
Sad thing is that after he marched down the field and scored, Nutt pulled him and put in one of the injured QB's for the rest of the game.  Imbarrassed?  IDK, but may have been the spark we needed to get crazy that season.

Arkiebarkie

Nutt was just lookin for a baller "Cause he was the Shot caller" he made
that call!  ...Nut at his finest.

DeltaBoy

IMO Rutledge should have been left in the Game we might have won!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Beaverfever

Man I'm glad the days of the quarterback being an afterthought are over. 

MTBrookHog

It is due to this situation with Rutledge that I am happy with the depth we have at quarterback. We can argue who's better than who but at least we have the depth that anyone of them can step in if we need them.

RazorbackMustang22

I know John Rutledge very well.  I grew up one house down from him.  He is a class act and a true Razorback Fan.  He was given a raw deal by TCTWF (surprise, surprise), which is why he was on the flag football field and not dressing out at RRS, but he was the first to lace up his cleats when the U of A needed him.

We need more guys like him in the program, and the good news is:  Petrino only recruits those type of guys.  Hats off to John for stepping in during a difficult time in Razorback Football and showing much courage and poise.

WPS.

pigbacon

But rivals intramural rankings had him listed as a 5 star that year I believe.  On a serious note, that will be an awesome story to tell his kids and grandkids one day.  I'd like to know more about this guys story.

TeedupHigh

NUTTS did this because he play's to win the game! NUTTS!  What a joke he turned out to be!  Dude had a chance to be be the real deal but had no clue what to do next!  Not having qb's ready was a problem, but how in the hell can you not play D-mac & Felix because they might fumble?  That's like staying inside on a clear day because it might start raining!  What a joke, but he can come at you fast........

ur

Quote from: Arkiebarkie on January 21, 2011, 05:27:55 am
Nutt was just lookin for a baller "Cause he was the Shot caller" he made
that call!  ...Nut at his finest.
lol +1
Finally we can look in the rearview mirror and laugh. Thank You CBP

Smolder

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 21, 2011, 08:17:19 am
IMO Rutledge should have been left in the Game we might have won!

He went 2 for 8 for 17 yards. Not sure we would have won either way. We just got manhandled the whole game.

baseballhog

and to think Ryan Mallett isn't good enuff for some people around here.

Justifiable Hogicide

It's true that the ridiculously incompetent Houston Dale Nutt had to grab up a Quarterback from the intramural fields to play for the Razorbacks in an SEC game.
But then in Nutt's whacked out and distorted mind, there is only one Quarterback that he has ever seen that meets his ideal...

texas tush hog

January 22, 2011, 05:45:49 pm #30 Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 06:05:07 pm by texas tush hog

Wade Hill was a scholarship player, check it out.

He enrolled as a walk-on but was put on scholarship the spring semester. Was all everything quarterback at Waldron, a small school. Moved up to a starter after several injuries to starters his sophomore year but was on the team all along. Actually lettered in 1991 but he also played some trombone for the Hog-Wild basketball band. Was not recruited out of the band though. And yes, I think he did throw several picks in the Independence bowl.

OTTER

Nutt screwed over a lot of kids, but Rutledge came back and did his best.  He was a great kid, a true Hog.  As for Nutt, he is-----The Mississippi Moron----thank God and Greyhound he's gone!  Hey, that'd make a great song!  I'll write it tonight.  (what, someone already did? damn!)
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

Arkiebarkie

Nutt still does not have a good QB, David Lee will have to work a
miracle.  If Lee does not work a miracle, Nutt will throw him under
the bus.  Thank goodness for Coach Petrino!

Rzbakfromwaybak

Hootie saved our Athletic Dept. tons of time & money on recruiting.  When you can just walk over to the Intramural field & get your QB.....no travel expenses or coaches out of town.

Hope he still uses this technique at Ole Miss.

Word out of Oxford.... Hootie is looking for a running QB........definition= (one that can run block)...
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

rnclittlerock

Quote from: RazorbackMustang22 on January 21, 2011, 09:45:14 am
I know John Rutledge very well.  I grew up one house down from him.  He is a class act and a true Razorback Fan.  He was given a raw deal by TCTWF (surprise, surprise), which is why he was on the flag football field and not dressing out at RRS, but he was the first to lace up his cleats when the U of A needed him.

We need more guys like him in the program, and the good news is:  Petrino only recruits those type of guys.  Hats off to John for stepping in during a difficult time in Razorback Football and showing much courage and poise.

WPS.

i don't fault him for taking advantage of his 15 minutes, but it wasn't those types of players that we needed.  being rid of frank is what we needed all those years.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: deucea729 on January 21, 2011, 12:28:14 am

Was that also the game that one of our linemen got pushed so far back he ended up blocking one of our punts with his back? Or was that down in Oxford?

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: texas tush hog on January 22, 2011, 05:45:49 pm
Wade Hill was a scholarship player, check it out.

He enrolled as a walk-on but was put on scholarship the spring semester. Was all everything quarterback at Waldron, a small school. Moved up to a starter after several injuries to starters his sophomore year but was on the team all along. Actually lettered in 1991 but he also played some trombone for the Hog-Wild basketball band. Was not recruited out of the band though. And yes, I think he did throw several picks in the Independence bowl.

This.   Too bad you had to mess up someone's story with facts.

duck slayer

January 24, 2011, 02:33:21 pm #37 Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 02:36:18 pm by duck slayer
I remember this game because I had an OM grad who worked with me who was giving me 9 kinds of crap about taking this kid off the IM field before the game. 

I conceded that we would probably lose due to all the QB injuries and this kid only having a few days to get reps, but I also told him that if this kid drove on OM and scored that it would be far more embarrassing than us losing the game.

Sure enough, our injured QB started to a three and out and I believe OM scored.  This was in RRS by the way.  Not sure when exactly, but I thought we were only down 7 when JR came in the game and drove about 80 for a tying score and the crowd went nuts.

Unfortunately, Deuce ran back the kickoff and the game ended as you would expect. 

Although my OM friend would never admit it, for about 5 minutes, including the TV timeout before the kickoff after JR made that drive, the OM faithfull had to be wondering how their defense could suck so bad as to let an intramural QB drive the field and score a TD on them with only one week of preparation.

At the first sign of my friends bravado the following Monday, I reminded my dear friend of JR's drive and pointed out that their D must really stink and not to brag too much because they couldn't stop an intramural QB and still had games other than Memphis and Vandy on the schedule where they would get ripped to shreds.  I didn't hear any more from him about the game after that.

Their defense did fail them that year by getting shredded and Deuce did not win the Heisman.

Thank you John Rutledge!