Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 WR Group

Started by PantherHog733, February 08, 2009, 12:33:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

VenturaHog

One thing is for sure, their hands are gonna be SORE come spring time!

hogcoots

I take Petrino at his word.  If I understood his statement correctly, he said something like each year he is going to recruit players that have the potential to come in and play immediately.  Once they arrive on campus, they will join the returning players and everyone will be thrown into competition for playing time.  The players themselves determine who starts and who plays by their performance on the practice field.  With that said, I believe that any of our receivers including freshmen will have the opportunity to contribute on the field this year.  It is dependent upon their work ethic and performance.  This is the type of stuff that excites me the most.  Tough internal competition at all positions makes championship teams.  Over the last 10 years, we knew exactly who would be starting at each position for the upcoming season.  Our concern was more around if player A gets hurt what are we going to do?  Now, we have the ability to go hard every day in practice and if someone gets knicked up we will have the ability to say next.  That player had better produce at the same level or maybe even a higher level if they get the hot hand.  Playing time is now a privilege that is earned through performance vs. a right of the player that he is granted due to time in the program.