Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When do we start to worry?

Started by SemperHawg, March 08, 2018, 08:34:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SemperHawg

I keep hearing/reading about Connor Noland pitching and all of the pro ball scouts that came out to watch him.  Are we just waiting to see what happens in the draft on him? 

Full disclosure as much as I want him to be a Razorback, if a big league contract is in his future then I wish nothing but the best for him.

ricepig

When his fastball hits 95mph. We have freshman on the roster that can hit that, and they came to campus. In the MLB draft, it's all about what number($) will someone sign for. The guys who made it to campus wanted $1.8-2m, and were offered $900k, they decided to try again in 3 years. Unless someone throws a whole lot of money for a pitcher that works 90-91, he's coming to campus. He probably has less competition at QB, than starting pitcher for the Hogs.

Wardhog85

We're not losing him to the draft. Teams don't use early draft pics for right handed high school pitchers that set in the 88-91 range. Doesn't mean he's not a really good baseball player though, because he is.

East TN HAWG

Which sport does he have the highest upside in?  Does anyone know? 

NEA_HogFan

From what I've seen, he reminds me of a guy like Barret Astin. I played against him in high school. Good fastball that sat in the upper 80s most of the time and touched 92 or so. Dominant high school pitcher, but will need a year or two to develop into a top round talent.

liljo

As to the title of the thread, for me, never. I'll never worry about decisions made by teenagers I do not personally know. I hope he plays for the Razorbacks and has a very successful career. If he chooses baseball, best of luck to him. 

He must be a pretty special athlete! He seems to be living a blessed life, and I'm glad for him.

WPS!
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

ricepig

Quote from: NEA_HogFan on March 08, 2018, 09:41:02 am
From what I've seen, he reminds me of a guy like Barret Astin. I played against him in high school. Good fastball that sat in the upper 80s most of the time and touched 92 or so. Dominant high school pitcher, but will need a year or two to develop into a top round talent.

Pretty good comparison, that or Trey Killian. My oldest played against both, and I've only seen Noland once, but great high school pitchers who need to develop further.

parallaxpig

I think he comes to campus because he realizes he has an excellent shot at playing QB this year.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

PorkRinds

He's not getting drafted and going to the pros. He will be on campus.

NEA_HogFan

Quote from: ricepig on March 08, 2018, 09:48:49 am
Pretty good comparison, that or Trey Killian. My oldest played against both, and I've only seen Noland once, but great high school pitchers who need to develop further.

Where did your son play.

Hoggish1

Quote from: ricepig on March 08, 2018, 08:43:33 am
When his fastball hits 95mph.

If his fastball can hit 95 consistently, he is gone.  MLB$ > than football $ at any level and w/o the head trauma...

But, I suspect he'll have to mature another three years or so before that velocity happens.

ricepig

ricepig

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 08, 2018, 11:27:17 am
If his fastball can hit 95 consistently, he is gone.  MLB$ > than football $ at any level and w/o the head trauma...

But, I suspect he'll have to mature another three years or so before that velocity happens.

We've got freshman that can do that, yet they didn't sign. It's all about the money, and some just want to go to college before working.

NEA_HogFan

oldhawg

Wonder if he plans to be a two sport student-athlete at Arkansas?

VirginiaHog

hawginbigd1

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 08, 2018, 10:26:58 am
I think he comes to campus because he realizes he has an excellent shot at playing QB this year.
If he was practicing now, maybe, I think he has almost 0 chance to come in the fall and make the 2 deep.

Inhogswetrust

We don't need to worry. If he goes pro in baseball we should wish him good luck and then go get another player.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

OwassoHog

I have coached Conner and have been keeping close to his development. In my opinion, he will end up on campus. He is a great kid and I think he understands he could use a few years to further develop. Great upside.

gratefulhogg

Quote from: OwassoHog on March 11, 2018, 02:37:24 pm
I have coached Conner and have been keeping close to his development. In my opinion, he will end up on campus. He is a great kid and I think he understands he could use a few years to further develop. Great upside.
Thats great he thinks he could use a little more development. Everyone can, I can't wait to see him succeed!

WPS!
If Hilary can still ride with Bill after the Monica situation, I can still ride with the Hogs after a Defeat!

gratefulhogg

Quote from: ricepig on March 08, 2018, 11:55:46 am
We've got freshman that can do that, yet they didn't sign. It's all about the money, and some just want to go to college before working.
Which is great to see people want to further their knowledge.
If Hilary can still ride with Bill after the Monica situation, I can still ride with the Hogs after a Defeat!

arkirish

Connor has made it pretty well known that he wants to be a Razorback, he's one of the biggest recruiters for this football staff, even going as far to try and get Gerry Bohanon to come.

He will be a Hog.

LRhawg926

LOL! Anyone still worrying?? This staff is killin it!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: LRhawg926 on July 30, 2018, 12:58:52 pm
anybody who couldnt see this coming is blind or stupid
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

MissippHog

The OP wasn't worried with recruiting in general.....more worried with Noland getting drafted.

But I agree, this staff is on a roll.

RME

Do you have an update on Noland that none of us have heard recently? Or did you just not read the OP?

Lol.