Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Name$ have been named in FBI probe

Started by 3kgthog, February 23, 2018, 05:27:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

3kgthog

Several players and coaches the Hogs have faced (or will face) may find themselves fielding some fun press conference questions this weekend.

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-federal-documents-detail-sweeping-potential-ncaa-violations-involving-high-profile-players-schools-103338484.html

twistitup

No razorback players or coaches that I can find.....yet

I hope it stays this way. I was nervous that we would be involved.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

onebadrubi

Was just reading some of this.  Here is a little snippet from SI article. 

"Among the schools included are Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Michigan State, USC, Alabama with a link to providing impermissible benefits and preferential treatment for players and families of players at those schools.

MORE FROM SI.COM
Documents also link current Michigan State forward Miles Bridges, Alabama guard Collin Sexton and Duke forward Wendell Carter as receiving benefits for themselves or for family members.

A balance sheet from the ASM Sports agency show former North Carolina State guard Dennis Smith received $43,500. Smith was drafted in the first round last year by the Dallas Mavericks.

Former Seton Hall star Isaiah Whitehead received $26,136, according to the documents. Whitehead originally signed with ASM but left to join for Roc Nation. Whitehead was drafted in the second round 2016 NBA draft and now plays for the Brooklyn Nets.

Former Washington guard Markelle Fultz received $10,000, but did not sign with ASM. Fultz was chosen No. 1 overall by the Philadelphia 76ers in the 2017 NBA draft."

sunalmighty79

Wow. Atleast Mike hasn't compromised the program. Duke though???

twistitup

Quote from: sunalmighty79 on February 23, 2018, 06:46:30 am
Wow. Atleast Mike hasn't compromised the program. Duke though???

It's all about W's

Duke today isn't the Duke of old....
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

riccoar

Kentucky??  NO FRICKING WAY!  There were folks here who SWORE Calapari was cleaner than the Pope.

I'm shocked.

greenEGnHAWGS

I'm loving this. I'm a Coach K fan, but I'd like to see Duke go down if it means all the others do too!
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

RacinRazorback

Makes sense now how some of the not bluebloods are getting recruits! I doubt not many DIV 1 ncaa programs are squeaky clean, but the bluebloods have been dirty forever! I look forward to the day that ole Cali and KY get what they got coming! He is, was, always has been the dirtiest coach in college! Just ask UMASS and Memphis if you think otherwise! Wanna know how Awbern, MissState, and Bama are suddenly get McD All Americans? Stay tuned!

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: RacinRazorback on February 23, 2018, 07:22:44 am
Makes sense now how some of the not bluebloods are getting recruits! I doubt not many DIV 1 ncaa programs are squeaky clean, but the bluebloods have been dirty forever! I look forward to the day that ole Cali and KY get what they got coming! He is, was, always has been the dirtiest coach in college! Just ask UMASS and Memphis if you think otherwise! Wanna know how Awbern, MissState, and Bama are suddenly get McD All Americans? Stay tuned!

Word.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

RebHog

Little disappointed I didn't see Miss. St mentioned :( :'(

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: RebHog on February 23, 2018, 07:45:02 am

Wait till the dominoes start falling. Folks start squealing.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: RebHog on February 23, 2018, 07:45:02 am

It's not over. That list will get longer. Howland had a rep at UCLA for being in bed with Sonny Vacaro, the man who created this AAU pay for play stuff.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Little Lady Back

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 23, 2018, 06:19:03 am
Was just reading some of this.  Here is a little snippet from SI article. 

"Among the schools included are Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Michigan State, USC, Alabama with a link to providing impermissible benefits and preferential treatment for players and families of players at those schools.

MORE FROM SI.COM
Documents also link current Michigan State forward Miles Bridges, Alabama guard Collin Sexton and Duke forward Wendell Carter as receiving benefits for themselves or for family members.

A balance sheet from the ASM Sports agency show former North Carolina State guard Dennis Smith received $43,500. Smith was drafted in the first round last year by the Dallas Mavericks.

Former Seton Hall star Isaiah Whitehead received $26,136, according to the documents. Whitehead originally signed with ASM but left to join for Roc Nation. Whitehead was drafted in the second round 2016 NBA draft and now plays for the Brooklyn Nets.

Former Washington guard Markelle Fultz received $10,000, but did not sign with ASM. Fultz was chosen No. 1 overall by the Philadelphia 76ers in the 2017 NBA draft."

"Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive!" Couldn't happen to a better bunch...
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on February 23, 2018, 07:50:29 am
It's not over. That list will get longer. Howland had a rep at UCLA for being in bed with Sonny Vacaro, the man who created this AAU pay for play stuff.
Sonny hates what it has become. He admitted in a 30 for 30 that he created a monster that has gone way out of control
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Kevin

Payments are coming from the agent. coaches will claim they did not know.

nothing will be done
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HognotinMemphis

None of the top programs will be hurt by this. Duke, Mich St, et al.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hobhog

Quote from: Kevin on February 23, 2018, 08:08:32 am

nothing will be done

Agreed. 5 year investigation will insue, then slap on wrists.

upperdeck_hawg

nothing will be done

Unless they wire-tapped the coach, I agree that it will be like the Cam Newton case and nothing will be done.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Cotton

Quote from: twistitup on February 23, 2018, 05:33:26 am

If we were cheating, we're doing a really poor job at it.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

SemperHawg

Can we get a one game suspension for Collin Sexton effective immediately???

AHiD

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on February 23, 2018, 08:20:58 am
Unless they wire-tapped the coach, I agree that it will be like the Cam Newton case and nothing will be done.

They did, I believe. Plus if they can force out Pitino they can force out anyone
My name...is Jerruh

Little Lady Back

Quote from: SemperHawg on February 23, 2018, 08:41:39 am

No doubt!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

The_Iceman

Mike still might lose the game.

Hawgndaaz

I read through it. There are some 5 digit figures on a few names, but its mostly free meals, hotels, and flights.

Its laughable that the FBI is investigating college hoops scandals.

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

parallaxpig

The real question is will the NCAA do anything with the info. They will have names, dates and amounts documented by FBI. I'm sorry to say is that they will do nothing. This is big money and we all know it's all about the money.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

HogFaninMemphis

We'll see how this all is linked to the coaches. There's a decent chance that the college coaches actually don't know a ton about this, because they know it's happening so refuse to get near it. I want to see where this connects to the coaches. Are the coaches doing dirty, nasty things, or are they just letting agents and shoe companies do the dirty work for them? Pitino got caught by being connected with Adidas. I would suspect most coaches are less explicitly connected with the shoe companies, and they probably have next to no contact with these agents. Assistants and middlemen, I suspect, will be the ones hit the hardest. The FBI doesn't want them, though. They want big fish. Putting someone like Chuck Person in jail doesn't fix a systemic issue. It's the same way with drugs: Putting 10 drug dealers in jail is less valuable than putting one kingpin in jail. The 10 drug dealers are easier to replace than the head.
I'm not sure how illegal it is for agencies to pay players while they're in college. Plus, it shows those things as loans, which means the players are expected to pay them back. That could potentially be legitimate in the eyes of the court. The federal government does not care about amateur versus professional status as the NCAA does.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on February 23, 2018, 08:51:00 am
I read through it. There are some 5 digit figures on a few names, but its mostly free meals, hotels, and flights.

There must be more. If essentially nothing was there, I doubt it would be public.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

onebadrubi

Quote from: parallaxpig on February 23, 2018, 08:58:43 am
The real question is will the NCAA do anything with the info. They will have names, dates and amounts documented by FBI. I'm sorry to say is that they will do nothing. This is big money and we all know it's all about the money.

They have the chance too, however I expect Mark Emmert to continue to run things the way he has, that is letting things go for the tv ratings and money. 

Think if duke, mich st, Kentucky, etc were barred from post season play this year.  March madness would instantly have a doom and gooom attitude.  Instead they will make a judgement in the offseason to asterisks some teams.  See a Ohio st style punishment

mykidsdad

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on February 23, 2018, 08:51:00 am

Why is it laughable? Money laundering, tax evasion, racketeering those are serious crimes and those are being alleged. That is mob stuff.

Also think of it this way. NCAA basketball is worth billions. Coaches and schools that are participating in this activity are stealing revenue from other schools that won't cheat. They are also causing coaches that won't cheat to be put at a disadvantage in their profession thereby possibly causing them to lose employment.

I think burn the whole thing down. How many years has this been going on? I would guess that is about 25 years, and there are coaches that have built their name and a fortune by cheating. Cal is a cheater, Pearl, miss State coach, many of them.

In your business, whatever it is, how would you like to have to compete for business and your livelihood if your competitors where doing elicit things that put you at a disadvantage?

Lastly I doubt that the FBI said hey let's look into basketball. Probably what happen is they stumbled upon evidence of major crime, which this is, and either had to investigate or ignore it. It is actually their duty to investigate and I for one am glad as I hate liars and cheaters above all others.

Hawg Red

nothing will be done

The players should still be declared ineligible, though. Unless you're saying that it's okay, according to the rules, for agents to pay players.

311Hog

they haven't even touched all the many hours of phone conversations.

I think this might be it, this might be the thing that shakes the foundation of the NCAA and the sham that is the 1 and done

ShadowHawg

nothing will be done

Tell that to Rick Pitino.

This is federal and illegalities, not the NCAA. If people are convicted of crimes the schools will move to take care of wrong doers even if the NCAA is too cowardly to take action.

Scott Marshall

Bank records and other expense reports that are part of a federal probe into college basketball list a wide range of impermissible payments from agents to at least two dozen players or their relatives, according to documents obtained by Yahoo Sports.

Yahoo said Friday that the documents obtained in discovery during the investigation link current players including Michigan State's Miles Bridges, Duke's Wendell Carter and Alabama's Collin Sexton to potential benefits that would be violations of NCAA rules. According to the report, players and family members allegedly received cash, entertainment and travel expenses from former NBA agent Andy Miller and his agency ASM Sports.

NCAA president Mark Emmert says in a statement Friday the allegations "if true, point to systematic failures that must be fixed and fixed now if we want college sports in America."

http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/report-fbi-probe-docs-list-range-of-payments-to-top-players/988320976

Drop the Mike

Head over to rupprafters if you want to see some irony! Coach cal is clean, nothing to see here! But let's still throw the book at Duke, Louisville and Kansas! It's been a wonderful morning watching the kentucky denials!!

HawgTrough

Rules are rules!
WPS

k.c.hawg

The one thing you can bet on, Alabama is weighing this very carefully. Play Sexton or suspend him until we get a green light. We don't want the NCAA anywhere near our football team. Our players parking lot.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 23, 2018, 07:17:52 am
I'm loving this. I'm a Coach K fan, but I'd like to see Duke go down if it means all the others do too!

I've been a Duke fan since early 80s.  Things changed in the late 90s with the Maggette-Brand-Avery team.  Maggette was found to have taken money from an agent rep but because the NCAA couldn't prove Duke knew nothing happened.  This has happened so many times with recruits for many programs.  Duke had Coach K back off the one and done thing for a while due to how dirty the whole business is.  I don't believe the 2010 NC team was built through cheating. Senior led team.  Coach K has gotten a number of kids whose parents didn't need to hold their hands out like Curry and Rivers.
But there have also been a lot of Maggette's come through Duke.

This has been coming for college basketball for almost 30 years.  The sport itself has been declining for 20+. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HeyHogs

How can he be allowed to play?  Either way Bama will be distracted tomorrow.  Good for us!

The_Iceman

Quote from: HeyHogs on February 23, 2018, 10:42:09 am
How can he be allowed to play?  Either way Bama will be distracted tomorrow.  Good for us!

See Ohio State 2010 Sugar Bowl.

raz1965

All these players named if allowed to play now puts the school in violation, having this information in hand changes things immediately. KUDOS to coach Anderson for playing fair.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: riccoar on February 23, 2018, 07:13:21 am
Kentucky??  NO FRICKING WAY!  There were folks here who SWORE Calapari was cleaner than the Pope.

I'm shocked.

I've never seen a razorback fan claim he was clean.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

The_Iceman

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 23, 2018, 11:07:42 am

I am actually kind of surprised he is cheating at Kentucky. I knew he cheated before, I just thought at Kentucky he really didn't need to cheat. He just had the agents waiting for the players once they left. Shady...yes.

sickboy

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 23, 2018, 07:17:52 am

I'm a Coach K fan too, but it's always guys like that who turn out to be the biggest cheaters. It's always the ones you'd never expect who have this image of perfection.

Jim Harris

Quote from: twistitup on February 23, 2018, 05:33:26 am

Who is MA $18,080 under loans receivable? I'm sure it's not our MA, just wonder who that is.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

East TN HAWG

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 23, 2018, 11:16:51 am
I am actually kind of surprised he is cheating at Kentucky. I knew he cheated before, I just thought at Kentucky he really didn't need to cheat. He just had the agents waiting for the players once they left. Shady...yes.

It is hard to change when its engrained in one's DNA. 

cram224

Quote from: sickboy on February 23, 2018, 11:23:56 am
I'm a Coach K fan too, but it's always guys like that who turn out to be the biggest cheaters. It's always the ones you'd never expect who have this image of perfection.
Bernie Madoff says hello.

nothing will be done
Exactly. Players will be punished, not coaches.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 23, 2018, 11:07:42 am

Cal is cleaner than a virgin's honeypot.

(bonus points if you get the reference)
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 23, 2018, 12:47:38 pm
Cal is cleaner than a virgin's honeypot.

(bonus points if you get the reference)

cleaner