Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Check out the Kendall Rogers bold prediction ...

Started by Randohoggie, January 02, 2018, 03:17:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ThisTeetsTaken

Saw that.  I don't know if we've ever had this much hype from the national writers before the season before.   I'll say this, we have as good a chance as anyone this year.   
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

hoghappy

SPAL

Kendall is top notch. One of the best in the business. I would have and probably have said that before this prediction.

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 02, 2018, 05:26:58 pm
Saw that.  I don't know if we've ever had this much hype from the national writers before the season before.   I'll say this, we have as good a chance as anyone this year.   

I guess, then, you don't remember being ranked pre-season number one a few years back?

BroyledNutts

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on January 04, 2018, 07:49:36 am
I guess, then, you don't remember being ranked pre-season number one a few years back?

We were, but there wasn't the type of buzz then around the program's expected season as there is around this team and this season ...

dotnet

Quote from: BroyledNutts on January 04, 2018, 12:44:24 pm
We were, but there wasn't the type of buzz then around the program's expected season as there is around this team and this season ...

I would agree, but I'm not sure why.  My guess is that team had a huge weakness (hitting, contact) where this team does not - even if I think people should be more concerned about the bullpen than they are.

But I think part of it is social media and what not making buzz feel bigger now even if it is a relatively similar outlook. 

BroyledNutts

Quote from: dotnet on January 04, 2018, 05:27:53 pm
I would agree, but I'm not sure why.  My guess is that team had a huge weakness (hitting, contact) where this team does not - even if I think people should be more concerned about the bullpen than they are.

But I think part of it is social media and what not making buzz feel bigger now even if it is a relatively similar outlook. 

I can't remember why that team was even ranked #1 .... When was that, 2007? Was it pitching?

Razorback7281

January 04, 2018, 09:52:54 pm #8 Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 02:17:25 pm by Razorback7281
Quote from: BroyledNutts on January 04, 2018, 09:09:10 pm
I can't remember why that team was even ranked #1 .... When was that, 2007? Was it pitching?
2012 team with Stanek and company went 2-0 to start the CWS before getting Perry Costelloed against South Carolina. Most of that team returned in 2013 thus the preseason number 1 ranking.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 16, 2015, 08:55:43 pmgurantee I'm smarter then you..but that's not saying much.
Quote from: talley on September 17, 2015, 09:53:38 am
you misspelled "Guarantee" while trying to talk about how smart you are.  Epic Fail.
Quote from: Lanny on October 16, 2015, 07:37:58 am
Good job everyone except Faldon.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Razorback7281 on January 04, 2018, 09:52:54 pm
2012 team with Stanek and company went 2-0 to start the CQS before getting Perry Costelloed against South Carolina. Most of that team returned in 2013 thus the preseason number 1 ranking.

Thanks ... Old timer's setting in early on me ...

HighcountryHog

Holy heck, Brent Rooker is back for another year?  Dude will probably set a record for number of times intentionally walked.
no bumps, no fat chicks

factchecker

Quote from: HighcountryHog on January 05, 2018, 06:13:37 pm
Holy heck, Brent Rooker is back for another year?  Dude will probably set a record for number of times intentionally walked.

No.

Rooker is currently in the minors. Last I saw, Rooker was playing for Fort Myers.

http://www.news-press.com/story/sports/2017/08/23/brent-rooker-powering-his-way-minnesota-twins-prospect-mississippi-state/591541001/
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

SPAL

Quote from: HighcountryHog on January 05, 2018, 06:13:37 pm

I thought the same thing when I first read the article, but then I realized he was basically doing a year in review before he got to the bold prediction. I thought the whole article was about the future at first.

southeasthog

Eric Sorenson-

Favorite Prospect:

– Chad Spanberger, Arkansas

#BergerBombs came a long way in 2017. The big lumberjack rose from relative anonymity in 2016, but came onto my radar by winning the California Collegiate League's MVP of their July all-star game. He talked to me about improving with every pitch and be more discerning at the plate for 2017 on that July night in Compton. Lo and behold, Spanberger went on to be one of the best sluggers in the country, finishing 2017 10th in Division I with 20 home runs. He ended up being a sixth round draft pick of the Colorado Rockies. Can you imagine what this kid will do if he makes it to the bigs and gets to swing it in the thin air of Denver, Colorado?

ucahogfan

Quote from: Razorback7281 on January 04, 2018, 09:52:54 pm
2012 team with Stanek and company went 2-0 to start the CWS before getting Perry Costelloed against South Carolina. Most of that team returned in 2013 thus the preseason number 1 ranking.
Most of the pitching staff returned.  The only two pitchers who were key on that staff in 2012 that did not return in 2013 were Baxendale and Sanburn who were both top 10 round picks.  We lost quite a few key contributors on the offense in Reynolds, Carver, and Bigham as well as a healthy Dominic Ficociello.  That 2013 pitching staff lived up to the billing and is one of the best staffs ever assembled at the collegiate level, but the offense struggled greatly.

The offense scored 298 runs in 2013 in 61 games which is less than 5 runs a game for the season.  The pitching staff had a 1.89 team ERA and only Trey Killian had an ERA over 2.70 and his was 3.18.  It was an incredibly deep staff.  The defense that season was also one of the worst we have seen under DVH as they committed 87 errors.  It was evident we missed a steady INF with Carver, Reynolds, and Bigham.  The 2013 team only allowed 166 runs in 61 games which is just under 3 runs per game.  We allowed 51 unearned runs which is huge.  We had two regulars, Mahan and Anderson, field under .910.

The offense in 2017 scored 422 runs in 64 games which is just under 7 runs a game.  The pitching staff had a team ERA of 3.61 and allowed 254 runs which is just over 4 per game.  While two different eras of college baseball, the 2017 team had a bigger run differential.  The 2017 team also fielded .976 and I think most people would agree was one of the best defenses we have seen under DVH.  Shaddy was the only regular to field under .960 at .937 and I think anyone who watched with regularity last season would agree most of his errors came in the first half of the year while he was still getting used to 2B.

When it comes to 2018, I expect our offense to be better than last year's offense.  Spanberger and Arledge are the only two regulars not to come back and we bring in a top recruiting class as well as have several players returning who could be big pieces after seeing minimal action last year such as Lee, McFarland, and Kenley.  I would think our defense will field at least .980 as a team and will be one of the elite defenses in the country with Fletcher roaming CF, Biggers holding down SS, and Koch shutting down running games behind the plate.  I think our pitching staff will see some improvement because we have a ton of talented guys who can all light up the radar gun.

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!